• Roll-up! Roll-up! Come one and all the fantastic Turning the World to Darkness painting competition. Welcome to any skill level, you can find out more here.
  • It's time once again to ferret out those murderous vampires in a new VAU - Vampires Amongst Us. A cross between Cluedo and a roleplay, sometimes gory and often hilarious! Find out more here.

Borgnine's Log: Another liche and a zombie wedding present!

Angie

Skeleton
@Borgnine

Damn. That Nagash has got to be the best one I've ever seen. It's simply stunning. The way that freehand worked out, the crown, the twistedness of the cape, the dark, macabre feeling you added to it. The GW model seems so thin and airy compared to yours, which has a far more threatening look. Top notch work!

That corpse cart is really cool too. I'm quite curious as to how your nurgle lord will end up, and that Necrosphinx is very promising!

Which store in Berlin is it by the way offering pick-and mix single models? Battlefield? I may be visiting Berlin this summer so I'd love to write it down :tongue:

Borgnine

Staff member
True Blood
@robtion Thanks! I thought you could like this kind of style ;)

@Angie It's so nice to read such a comment xD suck it GW! Also, I think I need to get going with this Nurgle guy as he's quite popular! I am refining his backstory in the meantime, but the sphinx takes all my hobby time at the moment... And yes, the shop is Battlefield Berlin, I definitely recommend visiting it :)

@Farmer7574 Long time no see ;) and thanks! I will! xD

--------------------

And some update on the sphinx - namely, it's wings.

The base for the whole wing was a metal cutout from a can lid:

proxy.php?image=http%3A%2F%2Fi.imgur.com%2FX9QZY02.jpg&hash=012aa710b94761d2adcec87aa56cb8bb

I magnetized it to it's back to make it easier to assemble and transport later, as it will be rather fragile...

proxy.php?image=http%3A%2F%2Fi.imgur.com%2Fn52TAwR.jpg&hash=f5d4bb92a3518b45995792c32cf6dc3c

Then I cut little planks from a piece of balsawood. With the tool shown I 'drawn' (or maybe scratched?) woodgrain on it - GW style with little grooves. These I covered with superglue - it gets absorbed into the wood and then hardens inside and binds the wood with itself - thanks to that the balsawood isn't delicate, but rather hard. Lots of glue fumes in the air and it's worse than cutting onions!

proxy.php?image=http%3A%2F%2Fi.imgur.com%2FqoFaIWp.jpg&hash=d7d4ae35ddc3803ab9de307012795502

When I had these, I just continued to glue them to the little piece of metal, sometimes cutting them or making them thinner to achieve a more random look. Sorry for the photo quality!

proxy.php?image=http%3A%2F%2Fi.imgur.com%2FOi3jtrh.jpg&hash=1022ab4485ed809f4970cb6d24c16169

And that's how it looks now on the sphinx itself :) It's rather jarring at this point, especially that it has totally different color, but I'll try to get it more merged with the rest of the model. The wing itself also needs some more work, but for today I'll say it's good ;)

proxy.php?image=http%3A%2F%2Fi.imgur.com%2FYIeqp6p.jpg&hash=2d4631eb822660c5046a44b094421290

Leithel

Grave Guard
Man that's cool, how do you come up with these ideas! Initially I thought that putting wings on this thing was crazy, but they look great. Can't wait to see them painted.

Mad 'At

Dumb enough to work
Staff member
True Blood
Those wings are looking great. Really impressed by the wood grain effect. Never thought of doing anything like that, but I will have to try it someday.

Must say though that while the whole model is looking really awesome as whole, I am not quite the fan of the shields on his flanks. They look a bit out of place and hides the legs too much. From the angle in the photo you can't make out the joints in the legs, making it kinda look just like big immovable lumps.

Borgnine

Staff member
True Blood
@Leithel Well, I have been thinking about this one conversion for many months now - and the wings are probably inspired by me seeing THIS some time ago ;) Thanks for the comment!

@robtion Well, we all should at least TRY xD

@Mad 'At I really appreciate the constructive criticism :thumbsup: I understand what you mean - it's rather visible on the front left paw, it's bent, so the shields clump together. I moved it a little bit, but I don't think. Still, I prefer it like this than without them - I'd like to avoid large areas of pure stone skin, the shields will break it up nicely. And the other legs look fine ;) Sides of the belly will get some fur pelts on them similarly. We'll have to see after it's painted how it'll look and if this idea was even good at all ;)

Borgnine

Staff member
True Blood
Okay, the conversion is completed! I am pretty satisfied with the results, even if the final version is a little bit different than what I sketched in the beginning. As usual, my designs are about covering everything with decorations and stuff - and it just wouldn't fit on the real model xD Now I just hope that the painting will live up to the conversion.

proxy.php?image=http%3A%2F%2Fi.imgur.com%2FNgGKVi0.jpg&hash=812a854bb9f459bbe21d9d6b3e8a91d3

Comments good or bad are appreciated as always ;)

Shadespyre

Vampire Thrall
That is amazing, again. Also not a fan of the rather random shields, which I think are rather distracting from the rest of the model. But, it's your vision! :)

robtion

Vampire Thrall
The wings look great now that they are more fleshed out. I like the addition of the fur too. Also like the visible nails on the wings, gives it more of a construct look. I think this will look great when painted, especially with the quality of your painting.

My only critical comment overall would be the thickness of the grate/bars on the stomach. Seems they might obscure the skeleton a bit much, as that is a cool little feature it should perhaps be a bit more visible. Just a thought though, I trust your creative vision and I'm sure it will look excellent when finished.

Leithel

Grave Guard
Masterful efforts on the greenstuff @Borgnine . Tell me, with the feathers (I think they're feathers) ont he back, did you sculpt them in place or sculpt them separately and then glue them on?

Can't wait to see some paint on this thing.

Borgnine

Staff member
True Blood
@Shadespyre ok, that's a second vote against - I'll better paint them really good to justify my decision :D Thanks for the faith xD

@robtion thanks for the advice! You are right - I thinned them down a bit, but it's still greenstuff without any wire inside - I can't make it too thin ;) I just hope the skeleton will be visible in the dark insides of his belly ;)

@Leithel This is fur xD I used chaos warrior's cape (and/or Krell's) as an example:
proxy.php?image=http%3A%2F%2Fi.imgur.com%2FwPM98Ra.jpg&hash=053ee8b6460c6cff1faafe0bdefd10b8

I sculpt them directly on the mini and in one go. The method is kinda in-between of what you described already. First I did a lot of little greenstuff teardrops. Then I started mounting them on the mini, going with the bottom first. Then I pressed that little ridge in the middle with a sculpting tool - gluing it to the surface. And then the same with the next one.

I really like the effect and I will probably do it again at some point, this time maybe with smaller pieces ;)

Adam_Barrow

Sleepless Knight
True Blood
Here's a thought for the caged skelly. Paint it ethereal and glowing. Some source lighting effect will draw the eye there, and it'll give the sphinx a necromantic power source right at his core. Think the locked up cage on the mortis engine.

Leithel

Grave Guard
Heh yeah to be fair I thought that the fur on the Krell cape was feathers too :redface:

Either way it looks cool, great work!

Borgnine

Staff member
True Blood
@Adam_Barrow the idea is certainly interesting, but it isn't convincing as something glowing when it is in the perpetual shadow inside his belly - I tried it and quickly scrapped this :( And I don't have enough expertise (or simply will ;) ) to install a light inside it. White skeleton is much more visible than grey one - example on picture below ;) - and that's how I'll solve this problem. Also, he will be holding the bars of his cage (hands not yet painted) so his presence should be much more obvious ;)

@Leithel to be fair, they look quite feathery ;) Fur-like feathers or feather-like fur xD

@mousekiller it was in the Dead Shall Walk all this time :) Big thanks for the praise - that means a lot from someone so well versed in this hobby :)

--------------------

Progress on the sphinx got a small hit - I went back home for a week ;) I took a nice and calm vacation from work, but not from hobby stuff xD I took my 'forest floor' mix with some brushes and glue and "rebased" almost all of my old minis. Zombies and wights were spared, because they all be expanded at some point. The rest of them is trying their damnest to look forest-y without any trees around xD Well, except the wraith, she's supposed to be standing in a tall grass / a field. I replaced the pathetic sticks that were symbolizing that earlier.

And even if my rebasing doesn't give the intended feel, it's still MUCH better than those patches of yellow grass I used earlier.

proxy.php?image=http%3A%2F%2Fi.imgur.com%2FyqMnczs.jpg&hash=ba3a45e35ffac10939f50a2e63a03cab

The sphinx got some paint on it, only not as much as he could have. Trademarked patina coat is already laid, I'm working on the stone and wood parts now. I also painted the skellington white, he's much more visible that way.

proxy.php?image=http%3A%2F%2Fi.imgur.com%2FsjJ3RIr.jpg&hash=95d1f89c5ebcdc635b42cb23354f381c

Adam_Barrow

Sleepless Knight
True Blood
My answer to everything is "make it a ghost." Also, I dig your Wraith a lot. The new kitty is looking good so far. I think the chances you took will pay off.

mousekiller

Grave Guard
Of course the sphinx is still kicking butt! But the models that stand out to me in this huge update is the Vhargulf and the Wraith. These are both excellently painted... love the glow effect you have going on with the wraith and the clean painting of the Vhargulf. Your basing is really nice as well! For the units, it was tough to make them out from the photos.

Great work! Can't wait for more!

Mad 'At

Dumb enough to work
Staff member
True Blood
@Borgnine: Nice work with the rebasing. I've been thinking about doing that to my army, but the task is daunting. Was it a lot of work?

The sphinx is coming along nicely. Will have to try and get my butt in gear and build something to compete with it. I have some ideas but the time schedule is going to be rough, not to mention the competition ;)

Borgnine

Staff member
True Blood
@Adam_Barrow Then I guess I already know your answer whether should I make my planned Mortis Engine monster ghostly or rotten ;) Thanks for the comment :)

@mousekiller Thanks :) Nice to see some appreciation for my old models - I didn't touch the paint this time, only the basing. That's also why units were so close-up - I wanted to show the bases. Good photos of the paintjobs themselves are all posted here in this plog - look on the first page for an index :)

@Mad 'At I had to brush away the old static grass, put glue on the base and flock them again - not much in itself, but done 200 times, it takes some time... Still, it wasn't a stressful task and was even kinda relaxing xD One only needs to have some time on their hands. And yes, please do think about your construct xD I'm most curious about what will you create :)

Mad 'At

Dumb enough to work
Staff member
True Blood
@Borgnine: "Brush away the old static grass", what do you mean by that? I haven't had any luck in removing static grass from bases so far so would be ecstatic (pun intended) at leaning a simple way to do it.

Borgnine

Staff member
True Blood
@Mad 'At I took an old and hard tootbrush and I simply brushed the bases hard. A small portion of the grass, together with glue was left on the base between the sand pieces, but most of it got off. This was easily covered with the new flock - the old one is completely unnoticeable. Still, this new way of basing requires rather generous covering with flock, so that may be more problematic with something subtle.

Eyeless

Wight King
Someone's been busy! amazing conversion mate. Epic wings and great idea for the sacrifice in the belly =D What's up next now? What new creation will we see?

Borgnine

Staff member
True Blood
@Eyeless Thanks, good that you like it ;) Still, I'm not as busy as I should be, work is going rather slowly. I have some big and fat ideas about next wicked creations, but unfortunately, they take time. It's may already and the sphinx will be barely a third project this year, including Nagash which was done mostly in 2015. I think I need to do some smaller things - not only big chariots and dragons xD. At this pace, I'm inventing new units and their backstories quicker than I am painting the existing ones!

As for the progress - it's all going rather slow lately, but I did manage to paint the wings. I hope to have it ready on the next weekend :) We'll see how that'll turn out.

Borgnine

Staff member
True Blood
Finally, I managed to do it! The Necrosphinx! The Effigy of Death! ;)

proxy.php?image=http%3A%2F%2Fi.imgur.com%2FmSXxexf.jpg&hash=a755f4cfa410251cee230a8978759a1c

The fluff:
The Death God is known in many forms. Sometimes he allows you to speak with long dead relatives, sometimes he raises undead to work in the fields, sometimes he demands you to perform grisly rituals and sometimes he personally wages war against his followers’ enemies. Long time ago statues were built by Varsavians to resemble that war-like aspect of their god - and after King Zlyschko was raised, he organized a search for any remaining ones. Only one such Effigy of Death was found relatively intact. And strangely enough, while it’s strictly a Varsavian creation, Lucan quickly pointed out it’s strange similarity to Khemrian sphinxes. Sculpted out of stone, shaped with wood and metal, this monument is impressive enough, but only after sacrificing a childless human inside the statue’s belly and baptizing it with blood, the construct comes to life for a short time to wreak havoc against enemies of Varsavia. And while it relies only on its physical power, it’s usually enough to best most foes. Statue’s stone body, covered in metal is durable beyond imagination and it’s blades can cut through even the toughest monsters, even if with their weight alone. Woe betide those that stand in it’s way!

At last, completed. Not much of the original Necrosphinx was left xD It was difficult to find time to do it lately and I was never satisfied with it, always changing something. Especially the stone parts - I started doing it by referencing a real stone, but then things got messy - but overall it came out rather good and I'm satisfied with it ;)

proxy.php?image=http%3A%2F%2Fi.imgur.com%2F6KZM43M.jpg&hash=98ba694ed2bd8933df7dcfc821d87f7e

And now the next project - nothing Vampire Counts related though... I will be painting the minis that will go on my wedding cake xD certainly something untypical - and in a different scale, as those are 54mm minis. Maybe in the meantime I'll greenstuff a zombie or a wolf, nothing major unfortunately. After that I'll probably go to finish my Nurgle Lord dude.

Also, seeing as @Shadespyre posts his To-Do-Lists, I tried to make one of my own. It's probably another three years of work at least....

To build and paint:

1 Coven Throne
1 Mortis Engine carried by two giants
1 Mortis Engine carried by an undead monster
1 converted Imrik’s dragon with a Vampire rider
1 Zombie Dragon converted from a Dark Elf dragon
1 Bloodkeep Varkai
5 Gamezone Mournful Knights
6 Gamezone Zombie Wolves
2 Foot Necromancers
1 Foot Liche
4 Foot Vampires
2 Mounted Vampires
1 Mounted Nurgle Lord
2 Alkonosts
2 Sirins
20 Grave Guard
5 Black Knights
At least 100 Zombies
1 Kislev Boyar
1 scenic miniature - Lady of the Bog

To buy:

5 Putrid Blightknights
50 Skeletons
1 Mannfred on foot
1 Mannfred on a Nightmare
1 Konrad
1 Sartosan Vampire
1 Winged Vampire
1 Isabella / or another female vampire
1 Black Coach
1 Enigma Dire Wolf

And on an unrelated note - about my cabinet - I should have listened to you from the beginning @Adam_Barrow and @Shadespyre ;) I fixed it to the wall and at last everything stays still, after all other attempts failed :) While I was at it I also mounted a LED light and it's perfect now xD

Cheers :)

Last edited: