• Roll-up! Roll-up! Come one and all the fantastic Turning the World to Darkness painting competition. Welcome to any skill level, you can find out more here.
  • It's time once again to ferret out those murderous vampires in a new VAU - Vampires Amongst Us. A cross between Cluedo and a roleplay, sometimes gory and often hilarious! Find out more here.

Borgnine's Log: Another liche and a zombie wedding present!

Adam_Barrow

Sleepless Knight
True Blood
Oh man, where to start? They're all so funny/cool/gross. That's a good combination for a zombie unit, but the standout by far is the troll. Having flotsam poking out of him sells that "resurrected in a bog" look nicely.

Farmer7574

Vampire Count
True Blood
@Borgnine That's a nice mixed bag of zombies you've made here. That river troll takes the cake but they're all great. I really like the chaos warrior conversion too!

You've really made good use of what seems like an expansive bitz box.

Borgnine

Staff member
True Blood
@robtion that's why I love zombies - so much customisation and personalisation to be done :) Thanks for the faith in me!

@Adam_Barrow I was going for such a combination, so I think it's good ;)

@Farmer7574 thanks! Troll is probably also my favourite, I spent much time on him - but I love them all xD And while my bitz box is quite large, I still had to buy a some of them from the sellers, order some empire boxes and such ;) But all my bitz collecting through the years, thinking about making zombies out of them, finally pays off :)

@Leithel The horse has a giant, torn hole in it's belly - it's not visible on the photos ;) I wanted to get over with them and start painting, so I went for an easy option. I have a fancier imperial horse to be zombified in the future - I'll do some more on that one :) Thanks for the comment!

Eyeless

Wight King
Oh god I haven't checked blogs for some time and look at all these update! First of all, Congratulations for you wedding! Also like the Effigy of Death's fluff. And from great constructs to small zombies. Love your new zombies and fillers, great ideas and variety. And how did you manage to scratch build that troll?! I still can't understand how you (and other guys here) manage to be so good at greenstuffing. Keep it up man!

Borgnine

Staff member
True Blood
@Eyeless thanks for reading the fluff and even liking it xD Thanks! As for the sculpting - practice, practice ;) And the fact that zombies (and nurgle stuff) are really easy to sculpt - very forgiving, one doesn't need to be very precise. Sculpting an elven woman - that is a whole another level ;)

-------------------------------------

And a small interlude - I finished the wedding minis. I don't want to create a new 'random' topic to put them there, so they go here. 54mm scale. They were ready a week ago, only now I had the occasion to make the photos. Two weeks left before we go back to Poland - and two weeks to finish the zombies for the competition - wish me luck!

proxy.php?image=http%3A%2F%2Fi.imgur.com%2Fsiygdor.jpg&hash=7a6fd8d9aba464a47cd88357e6b0297b

Farmer7574

Vampire Count
True Blood
@Borgnine The wedding minis are great, you've painted them really well. Pro job! Is this duo a gift to your missus? Congratulations in advance on the wedding by the way :)

I'm looking forward to seeing your converted zombies done.

Mad 'At

Dumb enough to work
Staff member
True Blood
@Borgnine: Beautiful, simply beautiful. You said you were waiting for green stuff to cure before. Did you sculpt those yourself?

Loving the freehand on her belt, and all the detailing on the faces. And the sword is amazing. How did you paint it? Very impressed with the hair too. I always struggle with brown hair, but you managed to capture two different tones of it perfectly. What colours did you use?

You are gonna have to show us some pics from the wedding you know ;)
At least of the minis on top of the cake.

I also can't believe I missed commenting on the zombies, even after you tagging me in the post o.o
Glad to see I've inspired someone with the horse ribcage trick. But also curse you for trying to inspire me to make more zombies :swear:
I have enough as it is, but damn these make it tingle in my finger for making more...

Borgnine

Staff member
True Blood
@Farmer7574 thanks! They are to stand on top of the cake, instead of those boring standard wedding figurines :)

@Mad 'At big thanks! I wouldn't be able to sculpt them from scratch - I'm nowhere near that level ;) I sculpted the dress on her, the flower bouquet and his bowtie.
I'm also quite satisfied with their faces - larger scale made things easier. As for the sword and whole metal in general - I try to paint it as NMM people do, only using metallic paints for the light parts. Vallejo liquid metal is much shinier than anything GW produces, so that helps - and then I do gradients with Drakenhof Nightshade, sometimes helped with a little bit of thicker, black paint. After then paint again all the tips, edges and detailing with the liquid silver.
I did her hair using various browns in proportions I can't really recall - First I wetblended hair with two shades of brown, keeping lighter one near the tips. Then I washed it with dark brown. After that it was just highlights - I used a saturated brown base and kept adding Ushabti Bone with some orange mixed in on every step to make each highlight lighter, trying to make each one shorter and going towards the tips of the hair. His hair is just grey base washed twice with Agrax Earthshade ;)
I'll try to show the cake when I'll manage to get the photos from the party ;)

As for the zombies - if these won't convince you to continue your awesome collection, then maybe next batches will do the trick xD

Mad 'At

Dumb enough to work
Staff member
True Blood
@Borgnine: Still, impressive to have sculpted that dress. Is it done to match the actual dress?

Really have to look into this Liquid Metal stuff. Hard lots of good stuff about it. Wonder where I can find it in Sweden.

Cool idea with a little bit of orange in her hair. That might be what I've been lacking. Thanks!
And would never have guessed the dudes hair was that simple xD

You mean there is more zombies coming :o

Borgnine

Staff member
True Blood
@Mad 'At I am not allowed to see the dress before the wedding ;) I sculpted another dress I found on the net. Liquid metal is really awesome, but it's also alcohol based - it hates water, doesn't mix with normal paints and dries very fast on the brush - nothing's perfect xD And yes, there are many, many more zombies bought, waiting to be assembled and painted :)

------------------------------------

First mini from my great zombie expansion program - a Zombie Forest Troll!

proxy.php?image=http%3A%2F%2Fi.imgur.com%2FSP5pEEO.jpg&hash=50cb2d48282cdcaddf6a107da1005caa

Short text:
Trolls can be found in Varsavia just like in any other corner of the world. Local ones also take on characteristics of their environment - branches and swamp grime are typical. How does one turn a regenerating monster into a zombie is a mystery - but seeing as they are just as stupid as living trolls, it's difficult to say if the turning even happened at all. Open wounds that can't be regenerated seem to be the only differences.

He was sculpted together with the rest of the unit prepared for the competition, but got painted first. He's more impressive than the rest and was largely scratchbuilt, so I was really eager to paint him. It was fun xD WIP shots with sculpting process can be found HERE and HERE
Lots of work for something worth 4 zombies :rolleyes:

proxy.php?image=http%3A%2F%2Fi.imgur.com%2FHBNOZ56.jpg&hash=61ead2ecd10856ccf74960b5cfbe9ee9

The rest of his unit will come tomorrow!

Last edited:

Farmer7574

Vampire Count
True Blood
@Borgnine Wow, he's turned out really well. Can't believe he was mostly green stuffed. All that exposed flesh and gore really works nicely with the green skin, and makes him look like a complete monstrosity. The green goes nicely with the rest of your army too. Looking forward to seeing the rest of his unit (especially that chaos zombie dude!)

Lots of work for something worth four zombies but he was definitely worth the effort. I'm guessing he could also count as a Varghulf if you need one some day.

robtion

Vampire Thrall
That troll is too cool. Looks even better than I thought it would painted. That unit will look amazing.

Also great job on the wedding figures. Not what I was expecting. Please tell me those are the actual outfits you guys will be wearing on the big day ;)

Borgnine

Staff member
True Blood
@Farmer7574 thanks for the comment! I'm glad you like him ;) His base is a little to small to be used as a Varghulf, but maybe I'll find something still. Maybe in some skirmish game?

@robtion I guessed you would like it, your army inspired me to add branches to his back - these are so cool, I ordered more from a bitz seller :) As for the wedding minis - our is way to small for something like this, not to mention me never getting such a physique xD

-----------------------------------

Okay, as I promised, more zombies! 1st Zombie Expansion is finished!

Some nice fluff:
Most zombies raised by von Greifens are non-descript peasants and nameless soldiers. Still, sometimes something extraoridinary gets drawn into the mob. This may be a long decomposed dwarf still clad in it's armor untouched by rust. Or an elf that found itself dead in the Varsavian forests. A Kislevite general, master of saber that died duelling Lucan, his throat just barely cut with the tip of the Nipponese blade. An undead knight that followed the vampires long enough to have his armor almost entirely rusted off him. Wherever Gavros enters the combat, things also get interesting - he can tear an ogre in half, shred a troll into a flayed carcass, punch a hole through a chaos armor or rip man's arms straight off his torso. During situations like this vampires can witness that lack of arms is not enough to stop a Khorne follower from using his axe. Only time will tell what other things will join the shambling hordes of von Greifens.

This was fun! I have lots of bits and many different, random minis bought from various places - this gives a lot of freedom during such work. To make things interesting I'll try to make undead of different armies, especially Kislev-themed guys. Other than that, fillers, monsters and slavic idols.

Pictures of the new unit - worth of 20 small zombies:

proxy.php?image=http%3A%2F%2Fi.imgur.com%2FejDnSSA.jpg&hash=47a1f3c49c7f9b21cff1b2839d3dc63c

And zooms on all the single guys:

proxy.php?image=http%3A%2F%2Fi.imgur.com%2FAhIFQZ4.jpg&hash=9f38abfac7ddfb2b232209799b35b82a

And how do they fit in my older zombies.
That was interesting BTW, there's 3 years of difference between those - I really noticed the difference ;) I used this occasion to update their basing and make their blood splatters glossy, like on the new guys.

proxy.php?image=http%3A%2F%2Fi.imgur.com%2FSVJp47f.jpg&hash=148097d187509e96a784d78133cdd0c2

Also, a bonus!

Seeing as I got a tripod for my camera, I was able to make good photos of Nagash's base. I edited the old post, you can check it out HERE ;)

And what's the current project? Wedding perhaps? ;) Other than that, I'll try to finish up all the things that got WIP entries in my index here but aren't ready yet :)

Last edited:

Farmer7574

Vampire Count
True Blood
@Borgnine Great job on them, they've all turned out well and have their own unique character.

That horseman guy looks like he was just plain out of luck getting an arrow in his body AND a knife in his neck. :) I still really like that chaos warrior holding the axe too; his helmet's horns and the positioning of his body makes him quite cool-looking, and as though he's rocking side to side as he's hobbling along... his guts look pretty big for his size though.

The unfortunate demise of the guy with a shield is a nice touch too - the one permanently attached to it by the spear driven into his back. :thumbsup:

Looking at the final shot, they blend in really well with your zombies from three years back. Zombie expansion #1 achieved!

Eyeless

Wight King
Awesome zombies! must say the troll is my favourite :) and man that troll fluff haha loved it. Worthy of mention are the ogre, or well half of it and that rusted knight! amazing rust effect. Very well done.

Mad 'At

Dumb enough to work
Staff member
True Blood
Freaky... and annoyingly inspiring. Thankfully I have a few zombies to make more Mordheim, so I might satisfy my urges with just a small number of the little cutie pies.

The troll looks amazing. Loving the way he is all sagging together, as if his rotten body can no longer hold on to all the flesh.
My favourite is the mounted dude though. You've got a great pose on him, really captured the moment of death so to speak.

robtion

Vampire Thrall
@Borgnine As I predicted that is one amazing looking unit of zombies :thumbsup:
They all have so much character. I really like the vein-like effect you have used on the 1/2 ogre's skin.

I am honoured if anything in my plog has inspired any of your work so thanks :D The branches are really handy and versatile.

Borgnine

Staff member
True Blood
@Lord Elpus I'm really glad that you like him! It was a really spontaneous idea - I just couldn't decide which hands to use on him ;)

@Farmer7574 big thanks for the comment! Big guts on the chaos warrior were a design decision from the start - I only had the back half of the warrior so I had to cover as much as possible with guts to avoid any extra sculpting xD He's chaos, maybe their guts are bigger on the inside ;) And the guy with the shield - not only he won't drop the shield, he has two spears now to stab enemies with ;) I really like those marauder spears, so versatile. Using the same color for the zombie skin all around the unit may raise some questions, but at least it makes any new dudes fit instantly ;)

@Eyeless big thanks! That fluff almost wrote itself, trolls are funny ;) Glad you like them, they do their best!

@Mad 'At thanks! And it was you who inspired me to do those zombies, it'll turn into a perpetuum mobile of zombies if it will continue xD Appreciation, especially from such a zombie expert as you is very valuable :)

@robtion many thanks! I am looking through your plog more and more, especially since I went with the forest theme, it's good to have you here :)

------------------------------------

First thing first - I need an advice from you all. I completely forgot about it, but I bought a corpse cart corpse pile some time ago. It's perfect for my zombie unit, but I can't really come up with a cool idea how to make a filler with it. Putting it on another cart seems weak after building a normal corpse cart. What filler would you create with it? Any ideas? :)

proxy.php?image=http%3A%2F%2Fi.imgur.com%2FavqGM1V.jpg&hash=4c12d47c245ecca37555b7c2b0e1352f

Other than that, I'm back home in Poland, getting ready for the wedding this saturday ;) In the meantime I decided to have 300 zombies, rather than 250 - new ideas and bits just keep spawning! Looking at my last post I also think I need my trees to be higher - the one near the Ogre/2 disappears among all those zombies...

Adam_Barrow

Sleepless Knight
True Blood
How 'bout some infighting within the army's ranks? Maybe a pack of Ghouls couldn't resist all those snacks walking around and a feeding frenzy has begun in a big pile of tasty rot? Bonus points because the same filler could be transplanted into a Ghoul unit too.

Sessioni

Grave Guard
Awesome unit man, I have like 50 zombies assembled the original, the boring way. But I do have like 50 more unassembled, maybe someday I will make some cool conversions too. This stuff is very inspiring.

robtion

Vampire Thrall
I love the corpse piles. So many uses. Some ideas. I would put it on the back of a giant/troll/ogre. Or you could put it on the back of an alternative undead dragon.

If you are using it as a filler it looks good in a tree(see Santawraith's example), or you could have some zombies carrying it on a board for spare parts. It can also look good just on the ground in mud or you can separate it into its 2 halves and make a really long filler. It can also look good bursting forth or overflowing from a coffin. I have seen them used standing upright and painted ethereal as a spirit host too.