• Roll-up! Roll-up! Come one and all the fantastic Turning the World to Darkness painting competition. Welcome to any skill level, you can find out more here.
  • It's time once again to ferret out those murderous vampires in a new VAU - Vampires Amongst Us. A cross between Cluedo and a roleplay, sometimes gory and often hilarious! Find out more here.

Borgnine's Log: Another liche and a zombie wedding present!

Menkeroth

A Knight of Blood
What a lovely model! And his green fire is just perfect, which I also strive to make but not so successful so far :)

Borgnine

Staff member
True Blood
@Menkeroth thanks! Glad you like it, because I'm never sure that it looks convincing enough :)

-------------------------------------------------------

I'm back to painting zombies! Well, sort of - I managed to finish a pack of Zombie Wolves from Gamezone Miniatures.

I wanted to have those beautiful miniatures probably ever since I started collecting undead - and got them cheaply some years later on eBay, that was quite a steal! Then I filled the gaps between the parts and then they lingered on a shelf while I was doing other big projects. I finally took them while I was working on Vaclav, because I wanted to post something new, instead of just spamming zombie groups and I hoped that I could squeeze a small project somewhere in between... and well, seeing as I am posting them now, that didn't work out that well! Still, I found some color schemes and basecoated them at that time, so I had at least that going for me! Painting them went really quick and I had lots of fun with it, unlike the last Gamezone model that I painted... that gives me great hopes about their Mournful Knights, which are also waiting for their turn for a long time.

Seeing as there is only one unit of them and they are much less generic than the current GW ones, I wanted to make them a little bit special - so I painted their fur differently, getting some inspiration from pictures of real wolves and dogs. It mostly got lost underneath the rotting flesh and blood, but I think it gives them an interesting feel and I think they turned out good enough.

Some backstory for them:
Sorin, fond of using wolves in his plans, usually resorts to local ones buried under the Varsavian earth. Only on special occasions he uses his own, trained pack of undead canines brought from the far north. Bigger, stronger and more resilient than your usual raised wolf, they are very reliable scouts, pursuers and distractors. Sorin’s kennels are big enough that with some necromancy added, he will never run out of beasts to help him catch especially elusive prey.

First, the whole unit:

proxy.php?image=https%3A%2F%2F1.bp.blogspot.com%2F-h9XNacTs7lA%2FW6ezW5rWAsI%2FAAAAAAAACEg%2FLoLCpe9hGu8wWdAoJBesPUdLeL0XJTzSgCLcBGAs%2Fs1600%2Fwolvesunit_small.jpg&hash=e48874df0c20a912319d23fee5679ed1

And all the dogs separately:

proxy.php?image=https%3A%2F%2F4.bp.blogspot.com%2F-YOwtqCxcaTM%2FW6ezWg1LU2I%2FAAAAAAAACEc%2FdNTomIpOHcEfjGa9Ez3NgsMrxgb5_jTagCLcBGAs%2Fs1600%2Fwolvessingles_small.jpg&hash=6f8e3a7fda7e449f4663ca21a972412a

Borgnine

Staff member
True Blood
As promised, here I am going with more wights - or in this case, liches, disciples of Daremnych. This one here is a gorgeous model from Otherworld Miniatures, bought a long time ago, finally painted. He was something different in this typical scheme of mine - there was just way more clothes than metal, so I couldn't just drown it in verdigris! Still, I think it worked in my favor in the end - I got lots of space to paint freehands on, the red robe reinforces his image as an evil wizard and patina got used only as subtle, yet effective accents.

Some backstory for the bony bastard:
Immediately after being raised, Daremnych started to look for his old lieutenants - to replace living necromancers as soon as possible. The first one found was Mertvet - the most reliable one. That wasn’t thanks to his loyalty or stability, no - rather, the opposite. He could be simply expected to always act in his own interest. Where a loyal man could be broken in the most unexpected moment, Mertvet’s betrayals could always be planned for. He got recruited into Daremnych’s cult when he was busy terrorizing the countryside as a powerful, immoral wizard conducting experiments on people he captured. In exchange for his help in the Death God’s army, he could continue his deeds while enjoying the newfound security, without being harassed by heroes trying to slay him. That and he didn't have to risk the price of denial - fighting much more powerful Daremnych - which was in the end, the reason for his death a long time ago. After being raised, Mertvet and the Great Priest decided to simply continue their agreement as if nothing happened.

proxy.php?image=https%3A%2F%2F2.bp.blogspot.com%2F-FZGuF169dH4%2FW7CJ6kUUl9I%2FAAAAAAAACE8%2FBqySpxzKGEoPIA1KfmxwD44mf2Q2GSxqwCLcBGAs%2Fs1600%2Fmertvet_small.jpg&hash=16fbb0554dac09153fa7927517a3d7ae

Borgnine

Staff member
True Blood
@Menkeroth The model indeed was a pleasure to work with, thanks! :)

-------------------------------------------------------

This week, a conversion!

Long have I wanted to have a unit of Cairn Wraiths - the least used an least popular 'Rare Unit' from the 8th edition Vampire Counts armybook. It was just way too expensive for what they did - but I still wanted to get them, for the sake of completionism at least. Using the same character Cairn Wraith 10 times wasn't an option, I didn't want to hunt for all the oldhammer instances of them and I couldn't find a good base for converting/building them too, so the idea was waiting in the backlog for years. Then GW released Grimghast Reapers and I knew those are the ones I was looking for! Still, some conversions were in order - thankfully I already had an idea in mind.

I didn't want to have a full 10-ghost unit of grim reapers, because I find that a bit silly, so I decided to replace the blades with axes. Cowls and blinded faces were also a little weird, so I replaced them with normal skulls and Slavic pointy helmets, adding some cloth around it too. That made them more similar to real warriors rather than angry farmers - while still keeping the fantastical theme pretty strong, so all was good.

Then I had to mount them on bases. That was a problem because they were designed to stand on loose 32mm rounds, rather than on tightly packed 20mm squares that WFB cairn wraiths used. To make it work I converted them completely first and only then began mounting them on bases, moving, switching and adjusting them together. I found a good configuration but that not only required cutting some ghostly strands and bending others but also left many of them standing very off-center on the bases. To remedy that, I had to immediately magnetize them and build a tray for them - without it, only 2 of them are able to stand upright! I like them like that, though - they stand so close to each other, they blend into one ghastly mass, like a Wild Hunt of some sort. Only after seeing them like this I decided to add those branches on the ground - both to reinforce my forest theme and to hide their connection points a bit.

Now I really look forward to painting them!

proxy.php?image=https%3A%2F%2F1.bp.blogspot.com%2F-Lr2hwoawSEY%2FW7iU6d7sAeI%2FAAAAAAAACF0%2FF2Ihp7b0MlI3RncPTiS6tRHRFZNJPHpzACLcBGAs%2Fs1600%2Fsiekiernowip_small.jpg&hash=ae09fb78d929d7940219974e16a4fd24

Theerteen

Cheerful Cranium
True Blood
Ouuh that will be good. When you're finished, I might have a question about your opinion for a demonical paint style of those (soulwars) guys ;)

Borgnine

Staff member
True Blood
@Theerteen Thanks! I saw some cool paint schemes for those on the internet, I can share them no problem ;)

--------------------------------------------------------------

Last week in work was pretty hectic, so I was relying on automatic posts on my blog and didn't come around to post here :( Now I will catch up and post two to bring it all up to date.

First, continuing with the ancients, here we go with the second liche. This one is a model from Frostgrave - I found it when I was looking through their range, looking for something fitting to incorporate in the Zombie Legion. With his pointy hat/helmet and ragged robes, he was perfect as another liche - I didn't have to think long about buying him! The painting scheme is the typical one for wights/liches - and while Mertvet was interesting because of how much fabrics he had on him, this one has just the right amount of clothes, bones and metal parts and I think he turned out pretty well.

Some backstory:
The second one of Daremnych's lieutenants was Belomor - an eager Varsavian priest that tried to convert some chaos tribes to his indigenous beliefs. He was found and saved by the Great Priest just when he was about to be sacrificed by the barbarians. After that, he quickly took faith in the Death God, the one that spared him after his old gods ignored his pleas. Soon enough he proved to be one of the most fervent members of the cult - spreading the faith however he could, by force if necessary. He was also known for always maintaining a kind, fatherly attitude, even while burning the villagers one by one to make an example for the rest. Killed during one of such spectacles and only now raised, he wants to show the unbelievers that he went too soft on them the last time.

proxy.php?image=https%3A%2F%2F1.bp.blogspot.com%2F--MY2s8OyCPY%2FW7CJ6l_WfMI%2FAAAAAAAACFA%2FAea1Vt0Zmw8BJBR7KI9OT850mjVkuonwgCLcBGAs%2Fs1600%2Fbelomor_small.jpg&hash=8a33ab8475845bc02e61591a4322b96f

And now I can show Daremnych with both of his lieutenants/disciples together. Now my wights have some magical support!

proxy.php?image=https%3A%2F%2F1.bp.blogspot.com%2F-jlIGLSf4joE%2FW7iU5zOnqjI%2FAAAAAAAACFs%2F-Z-_uLABdto5IbXTzHobRGV2CYYAuvo7ACLcBGAs%2Fs1600%2Fdaremnychfriends_small.jpg&hash=a7b0b17449be6e1503b336c589bb0aad

Borgnine

Staff member
True Blood
And the second post, wedding zombies! A present for no one other than our @Theerteen !

I visited Cologne this year - and before going there I asked @Theerteen if he wanted to meet. He told me that we couldn't hang out normally in the city, because he would be busy having his own wedding at the moment, but he would be happy if I would come to the party. So, by pure chance, I got invited to my first German wedding - one that was horror themed too! It was only logical for me to make some undead-related, wargaming present for him and his wife. I choose zombies because I became kinda known for them here, that would make it more personal and because they were simple enough to do them on that rather tight schedule.

Thankfully I managed to finish it on time and we arrived on the party - where not only the married couple and other youngsters were dressed as zombies/vampires/cultists/witches, but also most of the uncles and aunts! A cake had a graveyard decoration on top with a bloody red inside, the snacks were little cookie 'fingers', drinks were red, the decorations were cobwebs and in the front of it, all was organized a tent with a grisly escape game! Now that's some dedication, no wonder that the guy collects also undead miniatures! The present was a perfect fit into all that, they looked almost exactly like that.

proxy.php?image=https%3A%2F%2F2.bp.blogspot.com%2F-NDDfP7UWiZM%2FW7iU6Vw5YJI%2FAAAAAAAACFw%2FKqVpTwASgDE9I-wSKVtpv6RkZumUpIcvQCLcBGAs%2Fs1600%2Fweddingzombies_small.jpg&hash=96feb2623c4ad6a2d291b43d2ec2c1b4

Once again congratulations @Theerteen ;)

Looks like you've been busy all summer and fall and I've done almost nothing.

Your dogs look great! Are those the Gamezone ones? I really like them and thin they fit the look of your army well. They are metal, no?

I love the look of your new characters. As you may know, I also want to convert over all my necros to liches (have them undead). So lead on the charge my friend, they're looking great as well!

As for the Reapers, well, you beat me to it! I like what you've done with the axes and the hats, they will tie it in for you. I can't wait to see them painted!