• Roll-up! Roll-up! Come one and all the fantastic Turning the World to Darkness painting competition. Welcome to any skill level, you can find out more here.
  • It's time once again to ferret out those murderous vampires in a new VAU - Vampires Amongst Us. A cross between Cluedo and a roleplay, sometimes gory and often hilarious! Find out more here.

Borgnine's Log: Another liche and a zombie wedding present!

RE: Borgnine's Log: Finished Krell + VargoyleWIP

Very helpful nonetheless and quite detailed information! I'm positive it will be a lot of fun to try out.
You gave me a good idea of the colours used so I should be able to get close enough. (You wouldn't happen to know the (vallejo) names of the paints?)
Also, the glaze medium sounds like a good tool, we will have to see about getting some of that stuff.

Thanks for the reply and I will continue following your blog!

Borgnine

Staff member
True Blood

Thanks! I aprecciate that you find it useful :)

Unfortunately I don't know the specific names - the only Vallejo thing I use is the glaze medium. I use citadel paints because I'm used to them and I mix them to get any colour I want :rolleyes: But I wish you good luck with your own experiments with this :)

As for the medium - it's really great. While washes and watered down paints can sometimes be tricky, the medium is fine and useful. It makes the paint flow better and slows the drying, so you can paint and try some other things longer. I really reccomend it xD

Von Calyptra

Black Knight

Your paintjobs are first rate, and that Krell is stunning.
I *love* the sculpting work you did on the Vargoyle's head. I may attempt something similar when I eventually get Vargheists of my own. I don't think the shoulders are as successful though. He appears to have muscle tissue where his armpits should be.

Duke Danse Macabre

The Duke
True Blood

The Blue on the armour of those GG really adds another level of detail and makes them stand out, even the extra bit detail on Krells cape adds so much.

Great work on the Vargoyle there mate, reminds me of old anime and movie vampires (and a tad bit of the clown from spawn when in daemon form).
Keep up the good work. :thumbsup:

BloodbathMcGrath

The Butcher of New Liberty

Your krell and GG turned out great! I see from many months ago, not only did you add color to the GG but....well just WOW! How did you ever get the idea for the yellow ivy vines on their clothes? And the banner is one of the best I've ever seen. When you free hand, do you use a brush, or painting pens or something of that sort? It's just so clean and detailed. My fine-print free hand brush work just ends up being splotches of things that resemble shapes.... :'(

Seneschal

Liche
True Blood

Amazing freehand work on those wights and the varghiest jaws are truly frightening! Excellent work, noble vampire!

Borgnine

Staff member
True Blood

Thanks everyone! also -

@Von Calyptra - thanks! And yes, the arms really did came out a little awkward.. Original hands were supposed to be rotated differently, so it was all a little off - I should have messed and rebuild his arms more, but now this'll have to work.. But I'll keep that in mind for future ;)

@BloodbathMcGrath - thanks too! The vines - they are a reminescence of a former idea for them - to make them more roman - but well, while Krell could pass for a roman with his headpiece, GGs not so much without excessive work ;) Yellow vines looks mighty fine, quite regal and are distinguishing my wights as those are the only yellow elements in my army. As for the freehand - I use a little, little brush for this. Keeping hand movements precise is practice, but many things are making it easier - for example - a simple black bacground, as on most of my banners. There are going to be mistakes and splotches when painting something so tiny - you can cover the mistakes and refine the lines later with black so easily it hurts. Monochrome stuff which can be fixed is relatively easy to pull off.

As for the progress... not so much. University keeps throwing stuff to do at me. In the meanwhile I'm thinking about all the crazy units I'll build someday. The craziest is [scratch]building two mortis engines out of remaining bits from Coven Throne - with giant ghosts and slavic themes for at least one of them - we'll se if I'll live long enough to do it :rolleyes: Also regretting that I could make my army more slavic-themed, but I don't really also have an idea for that :rolleyes:

One week of hard studying more and I'll try to paint something worthy of at least an update ^^'

Theerteen

Cheerful Cranium
True Blood

I demand bloodshed! :konrad:

What exactly are you studying?

Borgnine

Staff member
True Blood

Theerteen said:
I demand bloodshed! :konrad:

What exactly are you studying?
There'll be much blood on the upcoming updates! xD

And regarding your question - architecture.

Wow! some really nice models you got here! I love your conversions and especially the vampire faces...for a first time try that is unbelievable! Looking forward for more ;)

Man, I really like how your skellies all look, them and the Grave Guard, they look sick awesome! Your green stuffing wuju is pretty darn good too man, wish I could do the same :tongue:

more stuff nao!! ;)

Shadespyre

Vampire Thrall

Wow, I just caught up with your Krell, that is beautiful work, well done. I think the reason for the jaw-dropped expression on the vargheist is he has just seen Krell's cloak for the first time!

Zhatan

Necromancer

Truly amazing stuff in this plog. :thumbsup:
What you did with krells cloak and the GG banner is especially good.

I've fallen in love with your GG. I hope you don't mind if I borrow some inspiration from them; I really dig the Early Slavic themes, in contrast to the typical skulls-and-bats fetish GW portrays.

Borgnine

Staff member
True Blood

Thanks for the comments! Also - @Aristo - stay tuned, I have planned a big lot of slavic themes to be put into my army ;)

And ookay! A big update! Vampire Lords! Army! Fluff and something more!

This one took a lot of time, but lots of things were happening. Thankfully I managed quite well and even more - I finally made some good pictures I'm happy with!

First one - Constantin von Greifen! Vlad von Carstein is a gorgeous model - I tweaked him a little bit.

His backstory:
The head of the trio. Charismatic and decisive enough to cobble the rest of his brethren into a rebellion against their sire. While he isn't a master of the Dark Arts, he's better at using them than his brothers and still quite capable in combat. Still, his most powerfull weapon are his mind and diplomacy skills. He intends to use any available resource and ally to further his own position and carve his own kingdom of the undead in Varsavia.

Picture updated on 11.03.2017

proxy.php?image=http%3A%2F%2Fi.imgur.com%2F6cHEiOu.jpg&hash=0f25b38957f42dd5bc20973181cebcd4

Second one - Lucan von Greifen - the samurai. Model from West Wind Vampire Wars. It's not as detailed as the rest of them, but it's still nice.

Fluff text:
Traveller, warrior, general. Wandered through Nippon, Ind, Kathay, land of the ogres, orcs, dwarfs, fought with many kinds of man, beast and elder races. Most capable in combat of the three, an agile warrior using two Nipponese blades and armor to his advantage. During the rebellion he fought Laurentin's minions and his vampiric brethren who were still willing to fight for their sire. Personally a loner (he isn't interested in getting his own get) with a sadistic streak, as a general he's strict, merciless and very effective.

proxy.php?image=http%3A%2F%2Fi.imgur.com%2FtQgIhri.jpg&hash=bc6d8183092949970a49b0e7986dfc2e

And the third one - Sorin von Greifen, using the Dark Vlad model from Enigma Miniatures. Awesome piece and very fun to paint.

Some backstory for him as well:
Large, imposing man, very stoic and of few words. Most often he's employed as an assassin - infiltrating human cities behind the cover of shadows and magic, finding and killing any particular, troublesome individuals. On the battlefield he's a monster covered in blood, gruesomely killing anyone willing to get close to his blade or claws, almost radiating and inescapable aura of dread and uneasyness. He knows very well that sometimes it's better to break the enemy leadership or moreale rather than throw more bodies at them. Wearing the flag with the symbol of his family - a skeletal griffon - as a robe, he truly believes in his brother's dream of Varsavia and will help him achieve it by all means possible.

proxy.php?image=http%3A%2F%2Fi.imgur.com%2FDPy1OHg.jpg&hash=2d986f27c36d7f9a1a56337a9800d444

And now a little WIP. I rotated Vlad von Carstein model a bit on the base and it made him completely unrankable with -anythimg- that's behind him... :slapface: So I made a whole new mini-filler to stand there. I used Vargoyle little wings and the rest is scuplted. I'm sorry for the color, it's still only basecoated ;) I call it 'straszniak' - which can be translated into 'scary-thing-guy' xD

And the last of the pictures - showcase of everything that's painted so far in my army! It's not grand, but it's something! I started my first zombies somewhere in summer, maybe August - so that's roughly half a year worth of work. Decide for yourself if it's many or few ;)

Next project! Ghouls x50! I want to do something rank-and-file now ;)

Last edited:
RE: Borgnine's Log: Vampire Lords! + other things

Simply amazing painting man, everything looks so dark/gritty and flipping cool. Such great color choices!

ObliviJohn

Vampire wood elf

Oh my Nagash! That is so cool! I'd sell my firsborns liver to Sigmar for paintingskills like that.
That über cool vampire mini is the best take on it I've seen so far. Love your plog. And you're studying architecture wich I tried for and failed. You're just living the high life you magnificent bastard. Good on you.

Theerteen

Cheerful Cranium
True Blood

Ahh just what I waited for. Nice army shot mate! Maybe we finish our Vargheists simultaneously ;) About time for me to get them done...and I'm fixed for yours :thumbsup:

RE: Borgnine's Log: GG and BK WIP + Patina Tutorial

Borgnine said:
This is really incredible, one of the coolest displays of mini art I've seen. Did you do it by hand? It looks like a transfer; it's that precise. What techniques and tools do you use?

Theerteen

Cheerful Cranium
True Blood

Barn Owl said:
This is really incredible, one of the coolest displays of mini art I've seen. Did you do it by hand? It looks like a transfer; it's that precise. What techniques and tools do you use?
I'm pretty sure that Borgnine is not normal human sized, instead of that he is some kind of 50mm person, that can do those incredible things. I don't have any other explainations for the things that the do :bowdown:

Borgnine

Staff member
True Blood

Don't overestimate my ability, please ;] Even in the field of freehand painting there are some more awesome examples, but I thank you very much, it means much to mee :) And I must disappoint you Theerteen that I'm quite average sized.

The GG banner is done by hand with a very tiny brush - it's got 00 as a size. Having a black background really helped here. I painted the details with this tiny brush, added some highlights with lighter yellow and then masked all the mistakes and tiny splotches with black - this really makes it easier and more forgiving. Besides this having experience in traditional drawing surely helped, but there's no shrinking magic involved [that would be helpful if not the brushes and paints which are made for normal humans xD I'd rather have a third arm to hold and adjust a magnifying glass ^^].

Once again thanks for the comments from you. On my progress - I postponed ghouls and started painting vargheists today... and I must say that with their wacky poses with difficult to reach places and mostly just two base colours... it wasn't easy nor exciting. But I hope the shading part will be better ;]

robtion

Vampire Thrall

Wowwww...:O

You definitely have the skills to pay the bills Borgnine. Amazing work all around. Love you conversions, colour choices, and mind blowing freehand. Can't wait to see more. Double :thumbsup:

John Rainbow

Crypt Horror

Somehow I have missed this thread until now. I wanted to jump on the bandwagon though and inflate your ego a bit more :). This stuff is awesome. Really cool work. That banner (above) and the one on the Blood Knights are really impressive.

Borgnine

Staff member
True Blood

Okay - an update! I wanted to make that joke and it took so long, because I have both Vargheists and Ghouls ready to show xD They were even standing on the shelf for two days because I didn't have time to make photos. But och well, let's get down to business!

First, vargheists with a converted Vargoyle you could see two updates before. It was tougher than I expected with them, because they are big and with almost only two kinds of layers - skin and wings/fur. I could go for two-shade skin, but it's too late now! :) The striped/textured skin made them more interesting to paint - and looking too. In the end, it was tedious, but it came out very nice and I am pleased with them - they keep with the blue/red theme for vampires and yet are different from similiar Varghulf.

Backstory for them:
Giant mutated vampires created brought to Varsavia by Lucan returning from the far east. Nobody knows for sure, but they seemed to be created in a similiar way to the giant Fledermaus, but the process had to be much more refined and goal-oriented. Their mind is even more degraded, but they retained much of their vampiric speed and gained the ability to flight. While Lucan and Sorin like them for their honest love for bloody violence, Constantin finds them much too hard to control after let loose. Still, they are a very useful tool for making hard-to-reach enemies disappear in a bloody mist.

proxy.php?image=http%3A%2F%2Fi.imgur.com%2Ftgz3FDk.jpg&hash=567585fb0a12a164fae6560a75df6052

Next ones are ghouls! Big, big credits for the idea to Theerteen and his ghouls . The idea with mixing mantic bodies with gw heads was awesome and genius - I just have to steal the idea ;) 3 boxes of GW and 1 of mantic gave me just the 50man horde I needed with enough surplus of GW heads. I even saved some for the 'head horror' conversion later xD They were kinda problematic - I wanted to have them dirty and dark, but the were coming out too brown and I had to glaze them whole a few times... It's not ideal color still, looks kinda orky but it works and kinda fits with the rest of the army. Also - I messed up with the varnish and they came a bit grainy after that :slapface:

Backstory for the Varsavian Wretches:
Hunched, wicked and cannibalistic creatures known as Ghouls or Wretches roam the lands of Varsavia, hiding on the marshes and forests, digging through graveyards, looking for dead or alive to devour. While they are not undead themselves, packs of them often accompany unliving armies in hope of an easy feast. Necromancers can’t exert their will over them like they do with the dead, but strangely enough, vampires can force them to do their bidding with enough willpower and authority. Small groups of them usually followed von Greifens when they were marching, but big hordes of them were brought only after meeting Haralamb Gudvanger. He alone is able to boss them around effortlessly, effectively strengthening any army needing durable and vicious infantry.

proxy.php?image=http%3A%2F%2Fi.imgur.com%2FbfuhkSz.jpg&hash=5ff679c5bb2ffff58119d9b255830603

And some details! And while I'm at details - I came to conclusion that I pity people who have to paint eyes on every soldier. Skeletons are awesome! xD

proxy.php?image=http%3A%2F%2Fi.imgur.com%2FbKOL5bh.jpg&hash=c618cb5442e6d33b5b2b4bd2ddabdf42

And that's enough naked butts for now ;)

As for the next projects, I'll be working first on a second cairn wraith. After this, or during this - I'll start the conversion jobs on my Crypt Horrors/Frankenstein Ogres, Marauder Horsemen Hexwraiths and a Vampire BSB. I'll post progess :thumbsup:

Attachments

Last edited:

Raven Torrid

Black Knight
RE: Borgnine's Log: Naked Butts Edition!

Borgnine said:
Okay - an update! I wanted to make that joke and it took so long, because I have both Vargheists and Ghouls ready to show xD
Haha, and it was worth it! "You expected some cute Vampiress?" --> Exactly. :D And I love those three last sentences. Vargheist! xD

Regarding the work...I'm seriously in love with those Vargheists. One of the best paintjobs I've seen on those models. Great combination of colours, great work on the skin...and the striped wings are just amazing. :O Love that red! The Vargoyle is so imposing with that stance.

Great work on the ghouls as well. ;)

Have some rep for all the awesome work in your plog!