• Roll-up! Roll-up! Come one and all the fantastic Turning the World to Darkness painting competition. Welcome to any skill level, you can find out more here.
  • It's time once again to ferret out those murderous vampires in a new VAU - Vampires Amongst Us. A cross between Cluedo and a roleplay, sometimes gory and often hilarious! Find out more here.

Borgnine's Log: BB Assassins & converted Stormcasts for Shadespire

Borgnine

Staff member
True Blood
@Farmer7574 Glad to help :) I wonder how will you tackle it.

Ok, finally, I done it. First mini done in Berlin (and it came out better than I expected)- Netherpyr the Terrorgheist!

proxy.php?image=http%3A%2F%2Fi.imgur.com%2F1eaSrqnl.jpg&hash=6add3daf80b976e023b9e2843f219f72

Some fluff background for the reading-oriented:
Netherpyr is a personal pet of the Strigois and yet another reason Gudvanger - and by extension - von Greifens - try to stay on the siblings good side. Ressurected thanks to their natural magic, this giant monster, still posessing some wicked character, quickly made itself known in the Varsavian countryside. "Netherpyr" is a bastardization of a native word for a bat. It made its nest in of the dangerous black marshes of Varsavia. That's where the siblings can often find it and call to hunt with them. Unnatural death shriek it possesses boils the flesh and shatters the bones. Thanks to that, it's often called forth when the Varsavian undead fight with the servants of Chaos - for their sturdy armor is not a defense against the agonizing screams of the Netherpyr.

I started painting it a long, long time ago and at that point I managed to magnetize it (following awesome tutorial made by @Infernal Skull available HERE) and paint the underbelly. Oh, and even earlier I made this swamp/tarpit base for it - and my own tutorial how to make something like this available HERE. Then I other stuff rose up and I put this beast and whole warhammer-stuff on a hiatus. Willing to finish it someday, I packed it to Berlin and continuued with the work about a week ago.

It was a long chain of experiments, reworking and refining, but I managed to get something satisfying. Only the wings still posed a problem, as their large surface made it difficult to work with. Not to mention the fact, that I forgot my distilled water and the tapwater here was messing with all my washes. Even adding these reddened marks around the holes wasn't enough. Finally I sprinkled it with Athonian Camoshade, using an old toothbrush. And that was it! It surprised even myself, how well it turned out xD So, pictures below, so you can evaluate it yourself :)

proxy.php?image=http%3A%2F%2Fi.imgur.com%2Fq1ze8vn.jpg&hash=e1377b450a00982edafebb7f67d6125f

As you can see, beside his head is a 20x20mm spot to place a Strigoi there, so it could be 'ridden' ;) This is also something I copied from @Infernal Skull from his blog HERE - a lot of useful inspiration there :thumbsup: At the moment there's a placeholder on that spot, so it could go alone if need be. It's another slavic wooden old man sculpture -thing made with greenstuff and mounted on an upturned mantic base ;)

Right now I'll catch up with my german a bit and then I will probably paint the Strigois.

Last edited:

Mad 'At

Dumb enough to work
Staff member
True Blood
Great to see you back in the saddle @Borgnine!

Staggering work as usual. Loving the dried, yet rotten look of his skin and wing membranes.

Looking forward to more :vampire2:

Adam_Barrow

Sleepless Knight
True Blood
Dude, he looks so real. The mud on him, the base, it's all awesome. Interesting choice making the exposed muscle that orange tint, too.

Sessioni

Grave Guard
*throws mine at thrash bin* :D
Your terrorgheist is SICK! and I mean it literally and figuratively speaking. Good job.

I'm so happy you're posting again. Like, really, you painting is absolutely top-notch. Your models are fantastic. The Terrorgheist just looks so ... filthy! Did you use a lot of stippling and/or washes to achieve that effect? It looks like it's under some kind of pale moonlight, too. And the light skin and dark bones work brilliantly. I'm currently thinking about how to do my own as I just started dismantling it after sticking it together a bit hastily a few months ago.

@Sessioni I'm thinking I might do the same with mine after seeing this one, haha!

Borgnine

Staff member
True Blood
@Mad 'At Thanks! I am also glad to see myself back at work after all this time ;)

@Adam_Barrow Also thanks! I have a recollection that sometimes dried and old muscles get that orange tint - I can't find a good example for that, so maybe I'm wrong about it, but that's the explanation for this xD

@Sessioni Don't do that! Especially so close to the completion! ;) I'm glad that you like it's sickness, I had a hard time pulling it off ;)

@Orlaster Sprinkling it with Athonian Camoshade wash, to be precise - that made the most of the muddy/sick feeling. I wasn't aware of this moonlight thing, that must be the photo - but I appreciate that you noticed it :) Also, the inverted colors aren't probably as inverted as I thought before, but I can't make things light coloured I guess ;)

I forgot about it earlier, but I had this realization when I finished him. It's not a dragon, but it's a first almost-dragon I painted. It may be bigger, but TG still isn't able to inspire such awe in me as Imrik did when I saw him for the first time 14 years ago xD Maybe it's because I was smaller back then (and big models were much more rare), but it was then that I decided to get my own dragon at some point... TG may not count for that achievement, but I have a Dark Elf dragon to be converted :vampire3:

Also, following example shown by @Theerteen, I bought myself a tool box to store all the bits I brought here xD Photo below. Even I am surprised how much it is, but I have been buying whole bits collections from time to time, so I have more than one would suspect. Now, if I get some zombies box or empire free company, I can start doing some snazzy undeads and other monsters :)

proxy.php?image=http%3A%2F%2Fi.imgur.com%2FsKY9oE7.jpg&hash=eed4742e5385f529b9de0531b90113f3

ObliviJohn

Vampire wood elf
Alas he hath returned. Once again to put us all to shame. :)
A very nice peice. Proper rotten, and the basing is great.
Nice to have you back here.

Theerteen

Cheerful Cranium
True Blood
If I'll ever visit you, I will replace your painted one with mine. And you won't ever know what has happened! :!:

Borgnine

Staff member
True Blood
@Farmer7574 Thanks for the praise, dude! I really appreciate it, even if it's a little exaggerated ;)

@Theerteen Now that you told me about your masterplan, it will be easier for me to counter it :vampire2: And knowing that - by all means, I am almost always open to visits ;)

Theerteen

Cheerful Cranium
True Blood
I'll just throw a handful of bitz in the other corner of the room, and while you're after them, I'll use this diabolical distraction and run the hell outta Berlin, a friggin perfect TG waving in the air!

Borgnine

Staff member
True Blood
I'd say getting it quickly out of Berlin (or anyplace really) in one piece and without breaking it would be quite a challenge! And it better be good bits if you hope for it to work :tongue:

Theerteen

Cheerful Cranium
True Blood
I have a complete tomb king and o&g army laying around here in bitz, I think it would work ;)

Dude I'd kill to get the skill of painting the wings at your level. I can't stop looking at them everyday, trying to convince myself that they won't look so fu*** incredible this time.

Borgnine

Staff member
True Blood
I'm flattered beyond my own understanding ;) but it's funny that you mention skill, especially when it's about the wings. I tried to do it skillfully and it was either too long or was turning out badly. After all the corrections and experiments it's really done with just washes, wetblending on the edges and then sprinkling it using a toothbrush - more technical stuff and the use of tools than any skill with a brush. Good luck for me that it came out so good, I wasn't expecting that ;)

Borgnine

Staff member
True Blood
Ok, it's time for the next update! The Strigoi Siblings! I will divide this post into two, to make it work better for indexing.

A backstory for both of them:
The cursed line of the Strigoi blood isn't welcome by the more noble houses of the Vampires and von Greifens are no different in that regard. That's hovewer not a problem for the flesh-shaper Haralamb Gudvanger. They feel at home on the cementery and have a strong relationship with ghouls and other cannibalistic creatures of the night - all characteristics appreciated by Gudvanger. Once upon a time, he took care of a pair of Strigoi siblings who were on the run from a witch hunt. He fed them, teached them how to use their gifts and gave an army of flesh-eaters - thus equipped, siblings quickly made their revenge on the witch hunters. Since then, they became one of the strongest assets of the flesh-stitcher and even von Greifens slowly learned to appreciate their peculiar talents.

First, the brother - Gavros - with his story below:
A muscle bound brute, the brother - Gavros is all one can expect from a Strigoi Ghoul King. Fuelled by rage and hunger, he's easily manipulated by Gudvanger. He also possesses a peculiar knack for leadership, somehow inspiring the flesh monsters to perform better on the battlefield. Known for very short bursts of extreme strength bolstered by blood magic - during this moments he can crush stones with his hands and rip apart fully armored knights - that together with his supernaturally quick strikes makes him a truly terrifying foe when on the offence, even if somehat lacking in defence. If not fighting with his poisoned claws, he enjoys using a monstrous mace he took from a killed Chaos Knight.

It was quite fun working on them - a nice change of pace when doing something so small and being able to really work on the details and nice blending ;)

First of my two strigois - as you can see, it's a lightly converted version of the standard GW TG Ghoul King. Pics of the conversion can be found HERE. I just love when the more beastly vampires have such big bat ears ;) The mace is placed there to accomodate the fact that not everytime he's going to use a magic weapon (not that it counts now in AoS :rolleyes:).

A little fun fact - as normal with my vampiric miniatures - I stick with a blueish+red color scheme, as opposed to the usual necromantic green. There's not much here besides his skin, so I had to be a little creative when to put the red accents. First I tried to paint his loincloth red - and he started to look like a weird vampire male stripper :| Weapon handle and the little pouch will have to suffice for the color scheme xD

Pictures!

proxy.php?image=http%3A%2F%2Fi.imgur.com%2F6dIJ1Zm.jpg&hash=c2768daf54a06038e5b4763b97e3ed9e

In the next post - his sister!

Last edited:

Borgnine

Staff member
True Blood
And the next one of the strigoi siblings!

The sister, Serrana! Her backstory below:
Gavros' sister Serrana is a rare sight - a female Strigoi. One would be gravely mistaken to think she'll be docile though. While not as rage-driven as her brother, she definitely makes up for that in sadism and cunning. Loft upon giant bat wings, she often beguiles her prey with her still sleek, shapely phisique bereft of clothes and a little bit of vampiric magic - when the poor fool notices her wicked face it's already too late. Draining him completely, she just jumps on another one, more often than not playing with her meal before finally snapping the neck. Being the only other person her brother listens to and having a cooler judgement, she can discourage him from any plans devised by Gudvanger she finds unfavourable.

And this time I guess I can do a proper 'Naked Butts Edition' - if someone remebers THE JOKE I made about it some time ago xD It's a miniature from Gamezone Miniatures called 'The Harpy's Embrace' [I only added the ears] - and curiously, it was a christmas present from my fiancee ;) The mini was a nightmare to discern what is what - especially the dude in her embrace, when everything was unpainted silverish metal... Painting it was definitely interesting, as I never painted such areas of skin that were supposed to look soft and smooth - but I guess it turned out all right ;) The mini's sculpt and design is outstanding - the way she's cradling his head, the way she blocks his hands with her legs - Gamezone surely has some nice minis!

The lone skull on the base was put there to indicate her facing - as it's quite difficult to determine it normally ;)

Ok, pictures!

proxy.php?image=http%3A%2F%2Fi.imgur.com%2F2eJWFCK.jpg&hash=b9d1332f00c6546439bdf751fb99a226

And using the hole on the Terrorgheist's base I showed in the previous post I am able to plant them both there and make them ride together with it into the battle, nice and easy xD Credit for this idea is due to Rob Hawkins and his blog, particullary THIS post.

proxy.php?image=http%3A%2F%2Fi.imgur.com%2F9s6eVvP.jpg&hash=c700f8f76ddfaedb3b494c1b6bacf043

And a little joke I thought about when doing the previous photo:

proxy.php?image=http%3A%2F%2Fi.imgur.com%2FNsvwgDm.jpg&hash=e6fc4975907cf3bbcc53c9e03387500a

And that's that for now. Now I am going to do some conversion work rather than painting - I'll try to do some stuff with my Nagash and the Necrosphinx, probably also thinking some more about the Mortis Engines!

Last edited:

Adam_Barrow

Sleepless Knight
True Blood
Man Borgnine, these are some impressive models. The bat ears are a really awesome touch, I'm a fan of the beastial look too. The "Come at me, bro!" look the arm positions give Gavros really sells it, and the mace is a good idea. I used an actual Ogre (Kingdoms) Blade on my Vampire Lord for the same thought process.

Serrana is a triumph, man. The model choice is perfect, the bat ears ties her into the theme, and the skin blending is spot on. The veins on the wings?--damn, that looks awesome.

And they both look so fitting with the Tbat. You've outdone yourself with these three models, mate. Excellent.

Cripes, the skin on those vamps looks brilliant!

edit: I'm definitely going to have to place an order with Gamezone quite soon...

Last edited:

Sessioni

Grave Guard
@Borgnine That female strigoi... I'm actually speechless :D I mean that's nice, so smooth paintjob. She is holding him very tenderly yet deadly, what an awesome find that mini, your fiancee has a good taste :thumbsup:

Poor orc tho :( Why won't anyone play with him..

edit. Wait a minute, where exactly is her left arm? Under the talons of her wings perhaps?

Tawg

Vampire Count
True Blood
Wait a minute, where exactly is her left arm? Under the talons of her wings perhaps?
Yeah, she has double shoulder joints, you can see the arm under the wing, or at least the hand on the back of his head. And from the bottom most right picture of her you can see two clearly formed "arms" like things from their respective shoulder sockets.

That model is.. pretty damn awesome. Definitely something to look to Gamezone for :ghost: I do wish there was a better image of their two faces, I feel like we don't get a good look at his. Although it looks like she has her tongue out?

Farmer7574

Vampire Count
True Blood
@Borgnine Superb Strigois you've done, I love that giant weapon on Gavros. Great way of tying in your colour scheme and makes him look like he shouldn't be messed with. I want to make one like that now xD

Serrana is just mean and feisty looking! What a great gift from your missus. That poor dude's last good thing in his life is that he probably has his face planted in a big pair of boobs. Better than most people go out, actually...

Fantastic paint jobs on both and very inspirational stuff!

@wheeljack Boromir's actions are very open to interpretation here xD

Borgnine

Staff member
True Blood
@Adam_Barrow Big, big thanks! ;) I'm glad you appreciate my little conversions - and I remember your Ogre Blade :) Chaos Warriors use similiarly sized weapons, so this also fits xD And about the veins - they are much more visible [especially on the outside of the wing] on the mini, than here in the photo. I get better at doing photos, but sometimes is always lost...

@wheeljack Thanks! Laughed at Boromir there xD One does, as long as one has a 20x20mm base [suck it Sigmarines!]

@Orlaster Much thanks! Do so, Gamezone has a bunch of awesome models for undead and more - the only thing is, they can be a little costly and can require some work when fitting more complex minis together ;) This one had only the wing as a separate element, so it was easy. I have also a Mournful Knight from them, we'll see how that one will turn out ;)

@Sessioni Achieving smoothness was the main challenge on this mini, so big thanks! ;) As for the arm, Tawg posted below the answer to this riddle - it's kinda hidden beneath her wing, she's holding his head. I was convinced for quite a long time that she has two wings and one hand myself..... :slapface: This mini is really a nightmare to understand when unpainted xD

@Tawg Also thanks! :) Face of the dude is barely visible even when having the mini in hand, not to mention how difficult it is to reach it with a brush... He's probably an elf with long hair, screaming in anguish. I didn't show it as the painting there is really basic and it's not really visible after all. As for her - she indeed has her tongue sticking out, licking his face.

@Farmer7574 Thanks for the appreciation :) Not only the boobs, but also embraced with her thighs xD But, as I described his face a little bit above - he doesn't seem to appreciate it. And please try with your own Strigoi ;)