• Roll-up! Roll-up! Come one and all the fantastic Turning the World to Darkness painting competition. Welcome to any skill level, you can find out more here.
  • It's time once again to ferret out those murderous vampires in a new VAU - Vampires Amongst Us. A cross between Cluedo and a roleplay, sometimes gory and often hilarious! Find out more here.

Borgnine's Log: BB Dark Elf Star Players

Your blog never cease to amaze. I'll probably steal that undead stormcast idea for a project of mine. Anymore teasers of that dragon coming up? (Or is it undead sea-dragon judging by that tail fin?)

Borgnine

Staff member
True Blood
@Woodsie Big thanks! Me and my zombiemals are happy to give some inspiration ;)

@Leithel Good to see you :) Thanks!

@Nagash Worshiper Steal away! ;) When I'll have some more of him, I'll post it. It's a HE dragon, probably that's why it has that fin - but I don't intend for him to be a sea dragon, just a big, red, mean, spiky one xD

Recently every reply of mine here had some progress pictures attached - unfortunately not this time... Job got a firmer hold of me, but that's hopefully over. The main reason is my inability to get the scheme for the Coven Throne right - especially the metal parts on the spirits. I don't want to paint them exactly like the spirits, but I don't want to have them as normal metal too - probably something in between. And there's the thing that the knights in the swarm are black knights actually, which are painted completely different than what I want to have for the countess. Oh well, more experimenting on weekend ;) I'll be sticking more spiky scales to the dragon in the meantime ;) When I won't be wrecking stuff as Grimgor in Total Warhammer of course - that's another reason for not painting so diligently those last days xD

Borgnine

Staff member
True Blood
I wrote last time that the job things were over. They weren't. Hopefully now they are! Still, despite all the time, I didn't do as much progress as I would like :frown:

First thing, the Countess and her handmaidens. Long time ago I thought I would use the Coven Throne as it is in the box - but now? No way! I try to make them look like old russian nobility, making as few changes as possible - I don't want to get bogged down in converting part of this project, where painting and assembling is already tough! The Countess got a new haircut, one maiden got a feathered trim to her corset and another one switched a metal choker for a fur one:

proxy.php?image=http%3A%2F%2Fi.imgur.com%2F1LWRlwf.jpg&hash=9d0bc746097169f371a08c08035c5c6c

That's the inspiration I had for her haircut:

proxy.php?image=http%3A%2F%2Fi.imgur.com%2F49hlwgv.jpg&hash=8ae4bce2f646847e92e35e14d1674f1f

I also worked a bit on the spirit horde. I used some old bit and plasticine for that. I intend to paint the metal parts silver and rest white - and then glaze it with greens and blues as usual. I hope to keep metals metallic that way, while not being too different from the rest. I will also give them some of my standard freehands - models in the horde are the same as wights after all ;) Now I only need to devise a right order to paint that damned horde - too many things will be unaccesible after gluing it all...

proxy.php?image=http%3A%2F%2Fi.imgur.com%2FPcOOR9U.jpg&hash=eb1ced236a16ca4cbc081ef3ad9d5ebb

And now something different. Red dragon and it's scales are slowly making it's way along the beast's back ;) Also a saddle

proxy.php?image=http%3A%2F%2Fi.imgur.com%2FUfmWEgg.jpg&hash=2b4312a6fdd2810b2e7ed5b1b8a93e6b

As I was only sculpting lately, I had too much time waiting for green stuff to dry. I took and started with the Necrarch vampire I had. First (but not last!) character that would have more than one model to represent it. I had to add a hand to the mounted one, as the one I bought had an even worse alternative.

proxy.php?image=http%3A%2F%2Fi.imgur.com%2FaiXvwGy.jpg&hash=8698ee9b123c6757a21d432c65f8f66f

And that's it for now. Back to sculpting ;)

Mad 'At

Dumb enough to work
Staff member
True Blood
Those vampire ladies are looking really cool. You've really taken a liking to sculpting fur like you did on the Necrosphinx haven't you xD
Very much looking forward to seeing them with some paint.

The dragon is coming along nicely. I have one question tough. How are you going to hold it when finished, with every inch covered in sharp scales?

I had to add a hand to the mounted one, as the one I bought had an even worse alternative.
You and me both ;)
Cool conversion wit the book though. Where are the parts from?

Irisado

Ancient Vampire Lord
Staff member
True Blood
The Vampire Countess and her handmaidens are outstanding and that's before you've applied any paint! The poses and sculpting work look very impressive indeed. I also like the look of the other miniatures that you're working on, especially the dragon.

Lovely conversions going on here! I'm very curious about the dragon. Are you going to use the traditional GW wings or something different? ;)

Borgnine

Staff member
True Blood
@Mad 'At Thanks! I like that fur, but what worked on a giant Necrosphinx won't work on those little girls - I will have to paint them rather as feathers ;)
How are you going to hold it when finished, with every inch covered in sharp scales?
By the base of course, as everyone should hold their minis! xD Seriously though, the underbelly, hands and some other things won't be so spiky. And there will be trees on the base, they are always good to hold the mini ;)
Cool conversion wit the book though. Where are the parts from?
The book is from the Empire Wizards kit and the flying skull is from the Coven Throne.

@Irisado Big thanks, glad you like them :)

@Nagash Worshiper Cheers!
Are you going to use the traditional GW wings or something different?
Out of respect and reverence (this model was the first dragon miniature I've ever seen as a kid) I intend to keep the form of the dragon unchanged - but not the detail! The wings are standard, but I already drilled deeper ridges in them to make them more interesting to paint and I'm in the process of adding some scale variations ;)

proxy.php?image=http%3A%2F%2Fi.imgur.com%2FkEPGMjI.jpg&hash=474c291b65375674409d30ecc0be91cd

The scales are amazing! Gives the model that extra touch! Is it going to be transformed into a more zombiefied look or will it be more alive?

Borgnine

Staff member
True Blood
@Nagash Worshiper I want to keep this one clean, more like a vampire dragon than a zombie dragon. THIS is my general inspiration for the details and color ;) Next one, made out of Dark Elf Dragon will be zombiefied ;)

Farmer7574

Vampire Count
True Blood
@Borgnine Lovely conversions to your vampire girls there - even by just adding those few details you've made them look miles better than how they originally come. Are you still planning on keeping them all on the CT? Or do you have another ace up your sleeve? :)

That dragon is turning out to be really impressive too. The spiney appearance of it is looking really menacing and freaky. What mini is that? Keep up the great work mate!

Now THAT'S an epic looking dragon! Now I'm super excited to see how the mini turns out! I think the classic dragons pose plays very well with how the one in the picture is postured!

Theerteen

Cheerful Cranium
True Blood
Ouuh one spiky dragon upcoming! Looking good so far, can't imagine the pain in the ass sculpting, and even worse applying those spikes :D Like the others, I'm fixed to see it getting finished! ;)

Borgnine

Staff member
True Blood
@Farmer7574 Thanks! I don't know if they are really 'miles' better with just those small pieces, but if you say so there must be something to it xD And yes, they all go on the Coven Throne - I can't see anyone else fitting there better than them. Also thanks about the dragon, he turned much spiker in reality than I envisioned it in the beginning ;) The mini is 6th Edition Imrik - high elven dragon - the best dragon GW ever made, in my biased opinion ;)

@Nagash Worshiper I am also really curious how he will turn out in the end. Some colors will be different than those on the pic, but I hope to keep the overall feel.

@Theerteen Thanks! Well, applying is sculpting in this case, so it's not that bad. The worst is that I have to do small sections each time - the more scales I do in one sitting, the more probable is that I will touch them on accident and destroy everything....

-----------------------------------------------

Some more progress to show!

This project just keeps surprising me, I get new ideas while working on it. While I was looking for some 'Russian Noblewoman' inspiration on google I noticed that they all have lots of pearls on them. That day I ordered some 1mm ball-chain and then used it to decorate the Coven Throne carriage. Maybe later I'll add some more of them - first I need to see how it'll look with all the parts glued.
Also, I replaced the obviously commoner scythe the skeleton was holding with a halberd took from the Demigryph set. A proud noblevampiress should have proper and elegeant weapons as decoration ;)

proxy.php?image=http%3A%2F%2Fi.imgur.com%2FCRqqvxH.jpg&hash=d9ae16db6b5b6abd8a66065ce0fd9c40

Also, the base. I wanted the Countess to be both connected to the forest theme rest of the army has and also be somehow more civilized. So I planned a stone path coming from her palace into the forest - the idea with the bent fence came a bit later - but I'm really proud of it. I joined bent and cut nails with some drilled sprue pieces and then held it carefully over fire to make the plastic bend too. It may not look as a proper entrance into a palace - I didn't had enough place for that - I'll think of the proper fluff for that later ;) First I wanted the spirits to phase through an iron fence, but that was both difficult to do and was clashing a lot with the diorama (armies on parade style) idea I have in my head.

proxy.php?image=http%3A%2F%2Fi.imgur.com%2FR2RTWH4.jpg&hash=9fd83de73fe9a29af0030c002cf1ef8b

And as a last small accent - I found another picture that also works great as an inspiration for my dragon ;)

proxy.php?image=http%3A%2F%2Fi.imgur.com%2FTh8Ry9C.jpg&hash=1a9007a0cf79170b25f4de7d90a10911

Farmer7574

Vampire Count
True Blood
@Borgnine The dragon is definitely an awesome choice or VC. Taking a look at your inspiration images, I'm really looking forward to seeing him to to life and being painted up. I especially like the earthy to vivid transition in colour on the scales below the snake's mouth. Is this something you're going to go for on the underside of your dragon?

Theerteen

Cheerful Cranium
True Blood
Ouuh boy I really like the broken fence! Awesome! Is it an existing bitz part or did you create it by yourself? In both cases, I'd love to steal the idea, because I'm doing some effort on my ME atm, and would love to do a similar basing.
Something else, have you considered bending the dragon's neck with a lighter? Because I see it coming out great, but the straight pose is something that limits your creativity, and a more dynamic pose would make some impression in my opinion...

Borgnine

Staff member
True Blood
@Eternal Salvation thanks! Me too! Shame it takes so long ;)

@Farmer7574 Also thanks! I'm still not 100% sure about the color scheme - generally I want red, black and white - but that transition is indeed awesome - as are those random black scales - I still need to think about it ;) Lots of time for that though ;)

@Theerteen As I wrote in the comment, fences are scratchbuilt ;) Vertical parts are thin and long nails that I bent beforehand. Then I cut some sprue parts, bisected them to get long and thin strips. Then I drilled holes in them and used that to bind the nails together. Afterwards I kept it over fire to bend plastic itself - and that's all. Of course, the first nails, the ones that are glued to the base, need to be longer than other ones ;)
As for the dragon's neck - maybe that could improve him, but first - I want to keep his form original - and second - I like his pose as it is ;) And maybe third - while I am ready to put a scratchbuilt fence over fire, I'm quite reluctant to put an expensive dragon over it xD Still, thanks for the tip!

Theerteen

Cheerful Cranium
True Blood
Uhhmm...I READ that, smartass! ... :innocent: Ok yeah, of course I didn't :D I think I'll do this on another big base, I realized I havn't enough space left on the ME base. TG maybe, next big one to be finished. Thanks for the Tut though :D

Adam_Barrow

Sleepless Knight
True Blood
Man, where to start? I'm stoked to see more of your dragon. The scale work you've done is something I don't think I've seen done before, and that snake color scheme is going to be really striking. But my favorite is that mounted Necrarch with his haunted book. Why didn't I think of that?? I can't wait to see him painted.

Team Necrarch for Life!

Farmer7574

Vampire Count
True Blood
@Borgnine That colour around the mouth of the snake is boney coloured, would tie it in nicely with skeletal units IMO.

@Adam_Barrow Had to go back and check the Necrarch out again - I missed that when taking a look at the image on my phone. It's a cool and simple conversion, nicely done!

Borgnine

Staff member
True Blood
@Sharkbelly Thanks!

@Theerteen Well, TG has a really nice, big base, so we all except all the best from you ;) Thanks too!

@Adam_Barrow I knew you would like him ;) Wait for the time when I'll finally find an Abyssal Terror and sculpt his Necrarch master ;)

@Farmer7574 Some variation on the scales will help making him more realistic, so that's surely at least something to consider. I'm also glad that you like the baldy ;)

-----------------------------------------------------------

I'm sorry for a hiatus here, but the Coven Throne proved to be too big and complicated to just paint it leisurely and happily. Motivation went away and it all got stalled. But I watched my share of old movies now and I will be coming back soon to painting ;) In the meantime a collection shot!

It is exactly one year after I finished and posted here my Nagash - and that seems like a good time for a summary here. Also because I don't want to make them on 1st of January like the rest of the world seems to be doing it ;)

First, a modest collection of minis I managed to paint during that one year:

proxy.php?image=http%3A%2F%2Fi.imgur.com%2FSxyCAOD.jpg&hash=cef9433897a7f62bbcbf78f211862bc4

And because that looks rather unimpressive, especially compared to some other plogs here, I decided to make a photo of my entire Berlin collection, all the painted minis that I have here ;) All the things above, plus Nagash, TG, Strigois and some good oldies.

proxy.php?image=http%3A%2F%2Fi.imgur.com%2Fhk4p7Sj.jpg&hash=ac7afccdae62c1f097c8552f59af4516

I also made a picture of the whole setup I had to build to make those photos......
And yes, those are beer crates and they are most versatile xD

proxy.php?image=http%3A%2F%2Fi.imgur.com%2FgfIQqlQl.jpg&hash=0dd7fb08cdbc1ed5ebfbf883aaaa8b1b

And that's it for now. I got lots of minis started laying on my desk, it's time to finally get painting ;) The ghost horde of the coven throne is washed and shaded, now it needs refining and freehands... I really hope that after this hurdle it'll get easier ;)

Farmer7574

Vampire Count
True Blood
@Borgnine That's an impressive year's worth of miniatures you've got there! And 'the Berlin Collection' is really shaping up.

I think we all get those dips in motivation, especially when working on things that require a lot of time to complete. Having a bunch of unchallenging miniatures helps to get back on track. (One reason I have 100+ night goblins lying around!)

Looking forward to seeing your Mortis engine, and that dragon even more so! Get a WIP shot up when you can :)

Just a quick question regarding your zombies: which parts did you use for the chaos dude with his guts pouring out? Is he all chaos warrior parts or bits from different chaos kits?

Borgnine

Staff member
True Blood
@Farmer7574 Well, your year collection is certainly more impressive, I need to step up my game ;) Idea about having some easy models for those moments seem good, but on the other hand, I have so many projects open right now, I didn't want to mess my workstation even further ;) I'll keep that in mind though!
As for the chaos dude - his back and hands are from the normal warrior set, with his head and 'danger end' of an axe from Knights set. Feet may be from an Orc Boyz set, from those legs that are 'sitting'. The rest is greenstuff ;)

Wow, Borgnine, I am blown away by what you've got compiled here. I am really loving the Russian theme you've started, very unique, and those Coven Throne vampires are very impressive so far.
I really liked the embroidered cloak-look the Vampire with standard has, I don't know if I would have the patience for that!
Your dragon is coming along great as well, I'm sure it will help inspire my own dragon conversion down the line.