• It's time once again to ferret out those murderous vampires in a new VAU - Vampires Amongst Us. A cross between Cluedo and a roleplay, sometimes gory and often hilarious! Find out more and sign-up! here.

Borgnine

Master Necromancer
True Blood
Jun 15, 2013
Pruszkow, Poland
Oh, I don't know how much grams, they sell it by its thickness here :rolleyes: It's 1mm thick and I think that's the minimum for the trays. It's quite wobbly, but after adding balsawood it becomes much more rigid.

Borgnine

Master Necromancer
True Blood
Jun 15, 2013
Pruszkow, Poland
Okay, here I am with an update!

On the 1st of december I finally finished with my masters and had some time to paint minis before moving out to Berlin. I decided on my hexies as I thought they would be fun to paint, experimenting with fire and whatnot. It wasn't. Painting in inverse, painting white on black and making all the 'almost black' surfaces and all of this times ten proved to be quite frustrating and tedious. Nevertheless I am quite pleased with the outcome, even if closer inspection would find quite a lot of faults on them :tongue: They are an unit, not heroes, so it would suffice.

Credits to Vectra for the awesome hexwraiths which inspired my conversion and paiting theme :thumbsup:

First, the cool background story for them!:
The green rider is a mythical figure across the Varsavian countryside - a hunter of the dead shrouded in green flames, capturing worthy warriors for his own band, preparing for an untold danger that will befall the land. He wasn't seen for a long time, though. Communing with the ghosts, von Greifens and their necromancers were able to find and bring him back into the material world after elaborate rituals and few sacrifices. Part undead spirit, part fey of the land, he agreed to help his summoners from time to time in exchange for bringing him nine worthy hunters, for he lost his previous band. Thankfully, the search was hastened thanks to a Chaos Marauder raid - band of Vaultring, the Death Hand. While proving to be a tough opponent, he and his band swelled the Green Hunt quickly. After that people once again started to talk about ghastly green warriors galloping through the Varsavian forests.

Pictures!

First unit:

ai.imgur.com_rFRX38E.jpg

Second unit (chaos themed - I explain it to myself that these are my old chaos marauders turned spirit-undead, together with their leader Vaultring the Death Hand ;) ):

ai.imgur.com_iJnXSGY.jpg

The wild hunt:

ai.imgur.com_MA31IAP.jpg

And the champion, conversion based on the red rider from the russian fairytale pictured by Ivan Bilibin.

ai.imgur.com_SZGYqoJ.jpg

And with this little update I would go into another hiatus - I'm moving soon to Berlin and for some time I just wouldn't have enough place to work, living in a single tiny room with my fiancee ;) Later I would concentrate on conversions and sculpting - this needs much less space and materials. I'll do some fun things with my Nagash, dragons and mortis engines and maybe start an another blog about my orcs.

Also, I guess I should look through all the other plogs and see what happened through all that time.

See you next time! :)

Last edited:

robtion

Vampire Thrall
Aug 23, 2011
Australia
Amazing work as usual. The hiatus has not dampened your painting skills. The colours are very subtle/muted and match the rest of your army perfectly. Good luck with the move to the big city and congrats on completing your masters(and also on getting engaged) :thumbsup:

Orlaster

Skeleton
Aug 10, 2014
UK
These guys look absolutely ACE, Borgnine. I was thinking of a similar colour scheme for my own, and seeing these makes me itch to try it! I especially love the converted champion, and those marauder horses suit the hexwraith look brilliantly- all those manes and tails looking like ghostly fire. Excellent! I have the storybook with those illustrations in. It's Baya Yaga isn't it? In a reader's digest publication (or something like that) filled with stories about witches and wizards. Very cool book.

Theerteen

Cheerful Cranium
True Blood
Aug 20, 2012
Germany
Maybe a little late ( due to my ongoing internet situation ) but congratulations for finishing your studies! :thumbsup: and nice to have you here in germany ;) I'm moving to the east of Germany too next week, so Berlin isn't so far ;)

And of course - very cool hexies!

Borgnine

Master Necromancer
True Blood
Jun 15, 2013
Pruszkow, Poland
Thanks everyone for the very nice words and sorry for not replying. Once I missed the time when it was recent, it became awkward to post something without at least promising some progress :rolleyes:

------------------------

Whoa, it's more than two years since I started this thread! Time surely flows by!

No, I'm not posting here new minis - but I will do so in the near future!

I am getting my hobby stuff to Berlin and I will get back to the undead army. Two biggest projects, as I already wrote in the 'real life' thread, are Nagash and Necrosphinx. Nagash will get converted a little, and the Necrosphinx will retain only his general shape after I will do what I intend to do ;) Well, if he'll get delivered in time... Besides those I have Monique Denoir, my Strigois and a Terrorgheist in plans. And scratchbuild Mortis Engines! Oh, and some orcs probably! This week I'm in Poland, on weekend I'm going back and then I'll start working.

Right now I'm writing this post not only to let everyone know that I'm alive and keep me thus somehow motivated, but also to inform, that I did quite a lot of reorganisation here in this plog. I added an INDEX on the first page. Besides this. being charmed by all the unit fluff texts in the End Times books [and having a lot of time to write, having no internet in Germany], I wrote a few sentences of backstory for each of my finished miniature/unit, hidden conveniently in the spoiler buttons near them. Maybe someone will actually read it xD I will add this backstory to each next finished unit and keep the story unraveling as I paint.

Okay, stay tuned for the next posts :)

Reactions: Orlaster

Borgnine

Master Necromancer
True Blood
Jun 15, 2013
Pruszkow, Poland
Okay, let's post something here.

It surprised even me that I got so quickly into painting after setting up the workshop. I was thinking of starting something with Nagash, but this brave Terrorgheist (he traveled all the way to berlin in a box and survived it without a scratch!) was just asking to be finished. I managed to finish all the underbelly and now, as he's glued to the base, I'm ready to move up to some more detailed painting.

I try to paint him 'inverted' - with light skin and dark bones. Usually it's the other way around. I don't know how will it turn out xD

Terrorgheist so far without his wings:

nGjIRmH.jpg

And with his wings (they're magnetized):

QfsVP2B.jpg

And as a bonus: a photo of my new workplace just after setting it up. It didn't stay so tidy very long! On the left you can see my 60 Orcs, I'll be working on them when other things will be drying / waiting.

T005Frq.jpg

And my suitcase after the trip, full of warhammers and food - It's a wonder that it spent 9 hours in the bus luggage compartment and nothing inside got broken! xD

usH0dNs.jpg

Last edited:

Adam_Barrow

Sleepless Knight
True Blood
Dec 25, 2010
Nashville, TN
He's back! I'm so stoked to see you back at the wardesk. Negative colors on a Tbat sounds interesting. Can't wait to see you pull it off.

Farmer7574

Vampire Count
True Blood
Dec 10, 2013
England
This is gonna be great to see come to life. Nice new setup and excellent project to kick start the hobby once again!

Cela Shyish

Grave Guard
Dec 14, 2012
I've only taken a look at this last page since I haven't checked this plog before but those hex wraiths are phenomenal! How did you manage to paint like that? And the conversion on the champion o.o I am seriously impressed

Orlaster

Skeleton
Aug 10, 2014
UK
I must say, I'm very excited to see you posting your work again! Everything in this thread is absolutely great. I really like the colours of the new Terrorgheist. I can't wait to see the fruits of your next project! :D

Borgnine

Master Necromancer
True Blood
Jun 15, 2013
Pruszkow, Poland
@Crystal thanks! I am really happy that people like my hexies as the painting process was horrible at times. Lots of feathering and inverted shading, it wasn't easy, but is seemes it turned out good xD
@Orlaster thank you very much, glad you like it :)

Cela Shyish

Grave Guard
Dec 14, 2012
@Borgnine of I just looked through your entire plog finally (only pictures and one or two comments though) and I have to say that people like you exist solely to make the rest of the people in the world look bad. Seriously its unbelievable how amazing so many of these conversions and paint jobs are >.< How are you not on the 'eavy Metal team?

Farmer7574

Vampire Count
True Blood
Dec 10, 2013
England
@Borgnine Really cool work all the way throughout your blog mate. Beautiful paint jobs and conversions every time. Keep up the great work!

Just wandering how you achieved the rust effect on your skeleton warriors? I'm playing around with a few ideas but haven't found anything yielding results I'm completely happy with yet.

Sessioni

Black Knight
Dec 29, 2014
@Borgnine Nice! How do you like painting Terry? I also started painting mine, it's at the same time probably the hardest and the funniest thing I've painted so far :D
That base is awesome also!

Nagash Worshiper

Black Knight
Dec 24, 2014
I think that Terry's going to look amazing. Looking through your plog it's hard to imagine anything else. I'm so jealous, I can't even transport my minis to the neighbor without breaking something and here you transport everything you have without a scratch!

Borgnine

Master Necromancer
True Blood
Jun 15, 2013
Pruszkow, Poland
@Crystal this plog exists not to make people look bad, but to give them some inspiration and ideas to steal :) And to have a bit wider audience than just my fiancee for all this stuff that I put so much time into xD Keep practicing, read/watch tutorials on the net and you'll be able to get to 'eavy metal no problem :thumbsup: As for me, I can't have my hobby as my work ;) Also, thanks for the praise!

@Farmer7574 I actually got asked in a PM about the same stuff, so I will just paste here my answer from there [also I noticed that pictures of the skeletons are quite small, so I went and reuploaded them. Quick link HERE ]:
No problem, I can help, as far as I am able. ;) I tend to work spontaneously and without any fixed guidelines which makes recreating difficult, but I will try to describe it to my best ability.

I start the metal parts by painting them boltgun metal - dark silver color, now it's probably named differently. When that's done I wash them. I create my own washes by mixing normal layer paints with Vallejo Glaze Medium - helps with the flow and slows the drying time, but on enough textured surfaces as here with the skeletons, water should also suffice. First I made a brown wash - mournfang brown or bestial brown, maybe with a bit of black added with enough water to be about as thick as milk. With this I was all the metal parts rather generously. Then I add orange/yellow into the mix to make it a little bit thicker and more vibrant - rusty, orange colour. This I apply to the most recessed parts, where you can expect that water would gather and make the metal rust more. Sometimes I added this quite randomly, especially on the shields, to make them look good better, so sometimes follow your gut feeling here ;)
When this dries, you have a deeply rusted metal. With my skeletons I added additional highlights with mithril silver - the lightest of GW silver colours. I drybrushed the rusted metal with it which makes an effect of bumped, scratched-off rust. I guess thats optional, depending on what you need.
And that's it. Not very difficult, but maybe hard to describe.

I hope that helped.

@Sessioni I must admit, I never heard anyone call it a Terry xD Nice name though :) Thanks! It can be a little daunting from time to time, but overall I very much enjoy working on it. Except the concave parts of the wings. So far I cannot make these look satisfying enough :frown:

@Nagash Worshiper Thank you for the good faith ;) Only the Terrorbat was kinda tricky to transport, but as he's magnetized, it's much easier. Wait with praises like these for when I'll try to transport any standard bearers or skeletons xD These always break.

Last edited:

Sessioni

Black Knight
Dec 29, 2014
@Borgnine Yeah, I haven't either heard anyone calling it Terry :D I haven't touched the wings yet, I must say that I'm a bit afraid of them. I have almost finished the main body, skin highlights and some bone-areas still left to do.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

Quick Navigation

User Menu