• It's time once again to ferret out those murderous vampires in a new VAU - Vampires Amongst Us. A cross between Cluedo and a roleplay, sometimes gory and often hilarious! Find out more and sign-up! here.

Farmer7574

Vampire Count
True Blood
Dec 10, 2013
England
@Borgnine It's pretty hard top your last post of Nagash but you're working on some quality stuff here. I love the conversion of this one (the hands are brilliant & inspiring), as said you've turned an already-impressive mini into something even more so. Keep up the awesome work.

Borgnine

Master Necromancer
True Blood
Jun 15, 2013
Pruszkow, Poland
@Adam_Barrow A praise well appreciated! xD I am glad you like it :thumbsup:

@Farmer7574 In terms of overall effect I probably wouldn't be able to beat Nagash for a long time ;) These could be, on the other hand, much more refined - not so many colors, not so many different areas. I look forward to them. Thanks for the comment :)

But I'm not looking forward to all of them. Gamezone corpse cart proved to be difficult to decipher and kinda messy, it's not as much fun working on it. That's why it was so easy to jump back again into playing video games for a moment. But not all is lot, the chariot will surely be ready for the competition :)

Borgnine

Master Necromancer
True Blood
Jun 15, 2013
Pruszkow, Poland
@Eyeless Thanks! I'm glad you like it :) I'll paint him probably in the meantime while the next project will be drying.

Finally, I managed to finish this piece before the deadline of the current competition. There's still a few days left, but today was the last day to make decent photos ;) Either way, it's done and I'm thankful for that.

Some story for the Deadminder:

The deadminder was a very important profession in the varsavian society of Death God worshippers. Wars were being waged, animals were being hunted in the forest, villages were being raided by bandits. It all left many corpses, which left untended, were later eaten by animals, forgotten and unmourned. The deadminder was supposed to gather all the corpses - in whatever state they were left - and later perform the necessary rituals and send the deceased to the Death God. Many people had this profession over the centuries, but one particular was immortalized in the folk stories.
That one was a father sharing his loyalty to both his family and the Death God. He often spent many days far from home, burying the dead and then coming back to spend few days happily together with his wife and children. One time, he went away and weren't coming back for many, many weeks. Then hard times came and the mother began having difficulties to feed the whole family. The youngest daughter saw her mommy overwork herself, only to get barely enough food for all of them. She decided to lighten her mother's burden - being driven with the love for her father and the devotion to the Death God, she ventured into the forest to find the deadminder, live with him and help him, for he surely had a lot of work. It's said that she found her father, worked together with him and for their devotion the Death God let them stay in world of the living. Some think they both died in the forest, but others can swear by seeing both of them travelling slowly through Varsavia, minding the dead as always.

Okay, this was hard. I knew that Gamezone minis were sometimes hard to assemble, but I wasn't expecting that I wouldn't be able to get what is what! The assembling wasn't that bad, nothing that green stuff wouldn't fix. But then it was so difficult to paint it! Is that a bone, a piece of cloth or something else? I hate it when it happens and it was quite diffcult in the end. Thanks to that it was way to easy to go back for a moment into playing video games...

Still, I won't condemn Gamezone - I have Mournful Knights here and they look AMAZING. I'll save my final opinion after them ;)

Either way, it came out rather cool and it was a great experiment with basing. It's difficult to see it here, but I made a road with wheel-ruts on it and covered only the sides and the middle with grass. Even if that's not that good visible, the big grass tufts work really good here! I'll have to experiment with them some more later :)

46XGMBr.jpg

The next project - the NECROSPHINX. Nagash may have been the biggest, but this one will be the most converted piece in my whole hobby career. While Green Stuff will be curing, I'll probably work on the Nurgle Lord I shown few posts earlier.

Last edited:

robtion

Vampire Thrall
Aug 23, 2011
Australia
Yep. Shadespyre pretty much summed it up.

Great looking model with a lot of character. The little girl and background story take it to the next level for me. :thumbsup:

Leithel

Grave Guard
Jun 3, 2015
Sydney
Yeah that's a super excellent model the gamezone corpse cart, and you've done an super excellent job painting it @Borgnine

Great work, always fun to see your latest project finished.

Farmer7574

Vampire Count
True Blood
Dec 10, 2013
England
@Borgnine Beautifully painted and well executed as always.

This mini is loaded with character. I think the part I like the most has to be the undead guy/gal walking alongside the cart. That rider holding the spade is excellent too and the double banners are nice. Lovely work.

Borgnine

Master Necromancer
True Blood
Jun 15, 2013
Pruszkow, Poland
@Shadespyre Big, big thanks! I'm glad you like it :)

@robtion Also thanks! Good to see people enjoying also the stories xD I think this mini could fit also in your army ;)

@Leithel Thanks! It's good that some time put into painting is still appreciated through this rather messy mini and me speeding up to finish it up on time ;)

@Farmer7574 Thank you! ;) It is characterful indeed. This little mini, 'Corpse Child' is sold separately, but also added to this chariot set. It adds very much to the whole model - and wouldn't find much use alone, either way ;)

I started working on the Necrosphinx and noticed that while I had many plans how to do it, they were all rather non-specific and I haven't got a single clue how to start it xD I fear I will be making much changes during the conversion, scrapping stuff and making it anew...

Also, I finally got a showcase! The minis won't have to take my desk space ;) The downside is that it's rather wobbly inside - the minis move around a bit when we are walking on the wooden floor here - when I saw it first, I though that they do the Toy Story thing when I am at work xD Maybe I'll put some paper under them, so that it's not so slippery there? Did someone have a similar problem???

rTwKSen.jpg

Reactions: robtion

Shadespyre

Vampire Count
Aug 11, 2012
Nice cabinet! Would love something like that, but have no space to put it. Would have to get rid of books (no way!) CDs (never) or my TV (actually, I could live without that...) to make way for it.

Maybe you need to fix the cabinet to the wall?

Borgnine

Master Necromancer
True Blood
Jun 15, 2013
Pruszkow, Poland
@Shadespyre the TV will surely understand that ;) especially in the age of the internet xD I could fix it to the wall, but I'm not up to drilling more holes right now, especially after mounting a new lamp not so long ago :rolleyes: Thanks for the advice, though, maybe later I'll do it :) For now a paper page under the minis works ;)

@Adam_Barrow Thanks! Now that I'm setting on a swampy forest theme, these colours would be much more common ;)

@Nagash Worshiper and it's a pleasure to read such comments ;)

The next project is on! I scrapped almost whole surface of the plastic off the necrosphinx's body and now I'm replacing it with much rougher stone made with milliput. It's fun!

nIWWtqy.jpg

Before doing that, I made an experiment to see if I could pull this off. On the left is my milliput stone mounted on a piece of concrete, painted to resemble the real stone on the right. Not bad for a first try I think ;)

Gdomoek.jpg

Other than that, the 'de-egyptification' is in progress xD

5kSINCL.jpg

------------

Unrealted news: in one of the shops here in Berlin they sell second hand minis. And unlike when one is buying on the internet, there I can select a few minis of one type, a few of other type, not being bound to buying the whole unit. For less than 1 euro for a single infantry model, I think it's a good deal. I have empire dudes here, some elves, some bretonnians. It's perfect for another project of mine - zombies! xD I wish to reeeally expand my 65 strong zombie unit into 150 or 200, taking inspiration from the best zombies on the internet - ones belonging to @Mad 'At :) I have some zombie sprues, some random guys here and lots of bits, now I need only time ;)

lb1QoQt.jpg

Last edited:

Mad 'At

Dumb enough to work
Staff member
True Blood
Apr 2, 2011
Grödinge
Thanks for the praise :)
Looks like a good bunch to start some zombie madness with. I look forward to seeing what you can come up with.

The sphinx is looking interesting as well. Quite heavy conversions indeed. What are your plans for the torso and head? Or is that a secret? ;)

Borgnine

Master Necromancer
True Blood
Jun 15, 2013
Pruszkow, Poland
@Mad 'At I have a few ideas of my own for zombies, but many of your creations are way too good to no copy to some extent ;) Hope you don't mind :)

I wasn't sure about sharing my ideas for the torso because I didn't know if I'll manage to do it as I envisioned it. It turned out quite good ;) Bony remains of the unfortunate sacrificed to power the statue, put inside it's belly :) I will sculpt a grated door to make it look more like a prison. It was difficult to make the hole big enough and the skeleton compact enough to fit it inside... The head will be a normal skull one from the kit with the usual pointy helmet, perhaps with some horns and additional decorations ;)

28kGegs.jpg

Besides this, my little stone teddy bear is taking shape :)

BW9Aa4S.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Orlaster

Leithel

Grave Guard
Jun 3, 2015
Sydney
Ha little stone teddy bear.

Your stone test was very good, so I'm really looking forward to the results on the actual model. It's an ambitious project, but I rekon you've got the passion for it. Best of luck, I'll keep an eye on this one.

And hey, when you win the painting comp (and I rekon you will that cart is fantastic) you can choose "Necrosphinx" ;)

Zacharias

Ghoul
Jan 28, 2011
Can't wait to see your VC Necrosphinx complete, what you've done so far looks brilliant. Love a Tomb Kings to VC conversion so if you've seen any other please direct me to them. That reminds me, I'll need to post my VC Skeleton Archers unit.

Orlaster

Skeleton
Aug 10, 2014
UK
I am stoked about this new work in progress, Borgnine. It looks like it's going to turn out to be extremely cool. Reminds me of the devourer from the D&D monster manual.

Last edited:

Borgnine

Master Necromancer
True Blood
Jun 15, 2013
Pruszkow, Poland
@Leithel Thanks for the faith ;) And indeed, I am quite passionate about it, working on it is a blast so far xD Necrosphinx would be much too narrow of a category, but a construct should work fine ;)

@Nagash Worshiper Big thanks! :)

@Zacharias I also can't wait to finish it and see if it turns out as I envision it ;) Well, I know that @Adam_Barrow has quite a bit of such conversions on his blog, but you probably saw that already ;)

@Orlaster Thanks! I've never known that monster, but if I have seen it, I could name it as an inspiration xD

----------------

This weekend was fruitful! As I wrote above, I have quite a blast working on this one, at least I know what is what ;) I have a lot of sketches with designs, but I still have to experiment and see what works in the reality, hoping it'll still work. Sphinx is taking shape quite quickly, most of the shapes are already set, now it's mostly about decorations and coverings. Well, except the wings, which will be a HUGE topic to keep myself busy this week xD

aBQgHT1.jpg

Adam_Barrow

Sleepless Knight
True Blood
Dec 25, 2010
Nashville, TN
You're onto something cool here, man. Those blades are awesome, and the helm is gunna bring him into your army theme. Killer work! I hope it's finished for this month's paint contest.

Also, thanks for the shout out. I had a blast with Undead Legions converting.

Orlaster

Skeleton
Aug 10, 2014
UK
Oh boy oh boy oh boy! Ahhhh, I see how it all goes together now. Even cooler than I thought it was the first time I saw it! Can't wait to see the paint you you give it. Got to second @Adam_Barrow - the visual theme of your army is really, really strong. The slavic (??) kind of style with the helmets and insignia, very neat indeed. Like, angular foliage. :)

Leithel

Grave Guard
Jun 3, 2015
Sydney
Very cool man. It's hard to picture your end game without any paint on it but it's a great start. Tell me this though, how the hell are you going to paint that skellington in it's belly now that you've greenstuffed bars for it?

Borgnine

Master Necromancer
True Blood
Jun 15, 2013
Pruszkow, Poland
@Adam_Barrow Thanks! Good that you like it :) One and a half month is more than enough for this bad boy, the work is going quickly ;) even though there's still a lot do do...

@Orlaster I wonder how did you envision it earlier ;) I'm glad that I exceed your expectations xD And yes, I'm going strongly for this slavic theme, either ancient or late medieval, depending on which parts of the army I'm doing. It's rather difficult, it's not as obvious as egyptian, aztec or viking themes ;)

@Leithel that's a very good question! And the answer is easy - it's detachable! I filled the hole with plasticine to get a harder surface and some curvature, covered it with a little piece of a plastic bag and then sculpted the bars on it. After it dried it was easy to detach the whole thing and take out the plasticine. I'll paint the skellington and the bars separately and then glue them into place :) On the picture it's just tacked into place temporarily.

robtion

Vampire Thrall
Aug 23, 2011
Australia
Love the skeleton in the stomach. Great idea. Looks like it will be something special.

Also looking forward to seeing your nurgle lord necromancer painted. Great looking conversion.

I wrote a story inspired by Baba Yaga around 15 years ago while at uni. I love crone/hag style witches. Those Bloodborne witches have great art design, the first time one attacked me it took me totally by surprise as the animation is quite gruesome as she gouges your eyes out with that tool. The Witcher 3 crones are also very nice in the most grotesque way possible.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

Quick Navigation

User Menu