• It's time once again to ferret out those murderous vampires in a new VAU - Vampires Amongst Us. A cross between Cluedo and a roleplay, sometimes gory and often hilarious! Find out more and sign-up! here.

Borgnine

Master Necromancer
True Blood
Jun 15, 2013
Pruszkow, Poland
@Nagash Worshiper Give me only some time to update everything, this blogspot thing isn't always easy to use ;)

@Farmer7574 Thanks! The dragon is a bit intimidating as a project, zombies are always the easy choice, even now ;)

@Theerteen I never saw that one! Now that I saw it, it does look similar ;)

-----------------------------------------

A miniature prepared for the last competition here. The topic was 'Duel', so putting a normal Kislev Boyar against my Boyar zombies seemed like a perfect opportunity. It's actually the first miniature of a normal, living human that's not a present for some occasion ;)

Some fluff for him:
Sir Baranowski is the nobleman that was leading a patrolling party that was sent from Kislev proper into Varsavia. Almost by accident, he met there with von Greifen brothers - his party was massacred by the undead forces, but he fled into the forest. He may be a gluttonous coward, but he still managed to brave the woods and inform his superiors about a vampiric presence in the land. Angering their powerful neighbor was the last thing von Greifens needed.

kuNlY7c.jpg

Last edited:

Nagash Worshiper

Black Knight
Dec 24, 2014
That's a very good looking boyar! I realy like the snow leopard fur on his bowcase! Makes it feel he has the wealth of a noble which is fitting. And such an epic story of Baranowski and his men. Any chance for more undead Kislevs? ;)

Borgnine

Master Necromancer
True Blood
Jun 15, 2013
Pruszkow, Poland
@Nagash Worshiper thanks! I have an undead winged hussar and a unit of living kossars waiting to be painted, no other plans for them right now.

-----------------------------------

I finished the dragon at last, but I still feel that I need to make more zombies. MORE! I made a spreadsheet in excel and officially planned to have 400 of them, 8 units.

My strong motivation probably has to do with the fact, that I want to have all the units done, make photos and then take them back to Poland - they take a sick amount of space in my showcase... As I am writing this now, I have a whole 50-wounds-strong unit ready to be painted, but I couldn't make all the photos. This time a small part of it.

First, the brutes, large dudes taking a whole 40x40 base for themselves. First one is a converted 40k Ork, he's carrying a breaking wheel - I always wanted to build something like this ;)

ahUAvf9.jpg

The second one is a cage carrier. At first, I wanted to put the cage on a cart, but @Mad 'At done that already - so I sculpted a large guy to carry it around. I would still have to sculpt the rope for him - but first I have to paint him disassembled.

y5az8r7.jpg

And the third one is a headsman. I really liked the idea of a large with an unnaturally small head hidden inside a helmet. Also, I wanted some vertical elements to the unit besides trees.

daQaeSL.jpg

And some additional smaller pieces - an undead housewife (with a braid added to make her more medieval) and a shieldsman, with a repurposed sigmarine shield.

ovsSesd.jpg

More will come in a week!

Reactions: Theerteen

Theerteen

Cheerful Cranium
True Blood
Aug 20, 2012
Germany
You crazy freak xD I love how you pop those guys out, and I hunger to see especially the broken guy on the wheel painted ;)

Adam_Barrow

Sleepless Knight
True Blood
Dec 25, 2010
Nashville, TN
Conan looks awesome! Great call having those spears. I agree, the vertical lines will look cool with your forests. Maybe some real Vlad the Impaler style bodies on pikes someday, even.

Shadespyre

Vampire Count
Aug 11, 2012
You made an undead Thrudd the Barbarian! :|:thumbsup:

Maybe this is what I should do with the damaged Thrudd I have kicking around my bits box...

Borgnine

Master Necromancer
True Blood
Jun 15, 2013
Pruszkow, Poland
@Theerteen thanks! I'm slowly running out of ideas though! Thankfully that should be enough zombies for one lifetime.

@Adam_Barrow nice idea! I'll think about it

@Shadespyre I didn't even know that character beforehand xD But I guess he kinda is Thrudd

@Sharkbelly thanks!

----------------------------------------------------

And, as promised, more unpainted zombie conversions!

First, the cavalry. One budget zombie bretonnian knight, one headless rider and one winged hussar ;)

3YTESTZ.jpg

Next, the 8th command group. I did only 7 last time! The standard bearer tips all the time, he will need some magnets underneath the base. The musician spared me one set of legs and the champion will look much more zombiefied after painting - I want blood to flow from the little holes and from inside his helmet.

oMRYvg1.jpg

And a skaven rat-wolf. As of now I am officially using Forge World models as lousy zombie fillers xD

mgQt41p.jpg

Some singles. Including more creepy cultists, this time twins. The guy with the bow is impaled with an arrow just like the bird he's holding, but it isn't really visible from that angle.....

JA0Jn1g.jpg

A whipper. Because all hordes need a good whipper.

2btrF89.jpg

A gorebeast taken from chaos chariot. I bought some bits to get the horses used in that chariot - and it came with a gorebeast - so naturally, I included it in my zombie mass.

3Nn6iig.jpg

And some 'ranged' zombies on an ogre cannon. With some nice weathering that cannon should make for a very interesting piece when painted.

yzvMQ0B.jpg

And a mummified drake. The mini itself has wings, but they were connected kinda awkwardly and it looks interesting as it is ;) I bought it on eBay and I don't have the slightest idea what company makes this kind of dragon - if someone knows, please share it :)

CUfk4gH.jpg

Reactions: Adam_Barrow

Borgnine

Master Necromancer
True Blood
Jun 15, 2013
Pruszkow, Poland
And the current main project - a zombie stegadon! I saw a crewless stegadon being offered on eBay and thought to myself "why not?" When my wife saw it, she said that I'm going way overboard with my zombies - dinosaur zombies, what next? Zombie zombies? ;) I will need an especially big base for it but I hope it will be a good crowning piece of the whole horde. It's coming up pretty nicely! Still needs some more damage and zombie crewmen on top of it.
I carefully hope to use it in the competition.

wqtA0PJ.jpg

Theerteen

Cheerful Cranium
True Blood
Aug 20, 2012
Germany
http://fenryll.com/product.php?id_product=274

here you go ;) as always, friggin awesome stuff man! I really dig the cavalry guys, and the twins! Great ideas, gogo, paint 'em! :D The stegadon will be incredible, that's for sure. I must ask, have you considered to "nail" a zombie on the flank of the stegadon, like Ahab on the white whale? I'd love to see that :D but that's your baby of course ;)

Farmer7574

Vampire Count
True Blood
Dec 10, 2013
England
@Borgnine Top class stuff as always! Scrolling through your recent additions it's become the norm to see miniatures loaded with cool greenstuffed details. It's really damn hard to find a favourite this time round, but I do like the whipper - the idea that he's lashing flesh off the backs of senseless cadavers is quite funny :D

I'm looking forward to that day where you finally get to take a pic of the completed zombie horde, it's gonna be a darm impressive sight!

Borgnine

Master Necromancer
True Blood
Jun 15, 2013
Pruszkow, Poland
@Adam_Barrow Thanks! I think I have to do something more to the rat though, it isn't looking very 'zombie' at the moment...

@Farmer7574 Cheers! Oh, I want to have it finished so much too ;) So I can finally move on with my life... my army, I mean ;)

@Theerteen Thanks for the link! And that idea with the zombie - it's actually much better than my idea of putting stake 'ladder' on the leg - so I went and did just that:

nNUOg8q.jpg

So thanks for sharing that idea ;)

Reactions: Theerteen

robtion

Vampire Thrall
Aug 23, 2011
Australia
Everything looking mind blowing as usual. The twins, the gorebeast, the stegadon, it's all great. Love the gizzards dragging along the ground.

Borgnine

Master Necromancer
True Blood
Jun 15, 2013
Pruszkow, Poland
@robtion @Theerteen thanks guys!

-----------------------------------------------------

I took a week off from work and besides going to Poland for a weekend, I spend it all just converting and painting. I did quite a lot of things, so this is going to be rather long.

First thing, I managed to fill two new zombie units, together with pieces shown a few posts earlier. And those two don't even have the stegadon, which will probably fill 1/3 of a whole regiment by itself ;) Bigger part of them is made exclusively of fillers because I'm trying to make them first. Later I'll make all the little dudes.

You can also see here that I started adding little twigs to my trees - a good decision in my opinion ;)

AWDvL3G.jpg

And some closeups for some of the newcomers. First, the spiders! Because who said arachnids cannot be zombiefied? Those are HELL to build, probably because I dislike the standard, boring pose of original minis and wanted to spice it up a bit. It involves a LOT of cutting, bending, pinning, gluing and greenstuffing... but looks properly creepy ;)

uLTz8dp.jpg

Some little guys. One in the middle is supposed to be a victim of an alleged Viking execution method called the blood eagle.

Jc2adCb.jpg

And the tree of the dead. An idea I had for a looong time. Also, the reason why I started adding the twigs ;)

v3eC03h.jpg

And last ones of this part, more trolls. Not much converting, only one of them got refaced a bit to resemble a classic WFB Stone Trolls because I really like them. The second one is from Frostgrave, a nice little mini.

46aCDcx.jpg

Continuation in the next post.

Borgnine

Master Necromancer
True Blood
Jun 15, 2013
Pruszkow, Poland
And now, the Stegadon of course. This one was challenging. I added so many bits and pieces all over him that it became difficult to actually hold him near the end... Still, I am very satisfied with the outcome :)

Now I'm not really sure how should I paint him. Stegadons for me should be dark red, but that would make the blood difficult to discern... All of my undead are green, but maybe he should stand out somehow? Then maybe blue? I'll have to make some research about it...

T4sSehh.jpg

And there's still more coming up!

Borgnine

Master Necromancer
True Blood
Jun 15, 2013
Pruszkow, Poland
And a quick project that I managed to squeeze between all the zombies, an idea that @Unas the slayer given in another thread - a vampire horse! It's also my entry in the quick Halloween 2017 Special Challenge.

He was also a good excuse to try out two things - copying a horse tail using greenstuff molds and painting a red glossy armor. I learned a bit and it'll come in handy in the future ;)

Behold, Blutmane von Nachthoof, a genuine Blood Dragon horse!

The spooky backstory:
Ever since the times of ancient Lahmia and first vampires, words were spoken about a mysterious terror galloping through the nights, searching for worthy challengers. He changed his names many times through the ages, but now he's known as Blutmane von Nachthoof, the stallion of blood. Countless men, women and beasts were felled by him and even empires crumbled because of his influence - and nobody knows how he does it because anyone that saw him drawing a sword, died. If you ever hear someone challenging you using horse puns, know that Blutmane has come for you.

wYLGH70.jpg

Last edited:

Irisado

Ancient Vampire Lord | Siphoner of Spammers
Staff member
True Blood
May 22, 2010
Nottingham, UK
That's a really enjoyable little back story that you've written for this model. I really like how that red armour and eyes make the model more vibrant than is often the case with those old horse models.

Theerteen

Cheerful Cranium
True Blood
Aug 20, 2012
Germany
Dude, those spiders. I kinda get bored of praising the shit out of you, but you still come up with that stuff. Stop it. No wait, don't. Just don't.
My colour of choice for the Stegadon would be elephant-like grey, that would give extrem contrast to the gory parts and would fit the thick reptile and dead skin each. My would-do-way.

A vampire horse..not sure what I expected when I read it first, but omg, that's gonna hilarious xD

Adam_Barrow

Sleepless Knight
True Blood
Dec 25, 2010
Nashville, TN
I know the triceratops in the first Jurassic Park film was a rusty brown/red. I'd show a pic, but i don't want your plog flooded with pics unless they're your army. Some quick Google Fu should show it to you though. Might get ideas going for the stegadon.

Farmer7574

Vampire Count
True Blood
Dec 10, 2013
England
@Borgnine Brilliant job converting the stegadon up for a zombie unit. Zombies have been depicted in so many different ways over the years; retarded & slow, fast & animal-like, etc., but I really like the way you've gone with yours - not totally void of skill (say, able to stay on a moving zombie animal and poke at friend or foe) but still flesh-hungry & cannibalistic enough to be hanging out in a horde of dead dudes looking for brains :)

Those trolls are cool too. I like that guy holding the rock, although maybe a zombie (or just a torso) would've been a nice n gory touch to the unit :) I'm also a big fan of the filler using the giant kit cages - I may have to borrow that at some point as it works in a forest really well. One has to wander what those poor guys did to be left for death in the middle of the woods :)

The vampire horse is a really novel idea too, he's gotta be the first vampire horse I've seen. And the fact that he's loaded with weapons and appears as a mere warhorse is quite hilarious :D

Top stuff mate, keep it coming!

Nagash Worshiper

Black Knight
Dec 24, 2014
I mean, were to begin? So much awesome stuff added!
It's going to be so awesome to see that zombie unit painted. I love how much thought you've put in every individual, truly inspirational. Big fan of the Undead hussar, you've given me some ideas ;)
Then there's also the horrifyingly beautiful dino-riders. Can't wait to see it painted! Would be a shame to see it added as an entry for the competition ;)
Blutmane is really armed to the teeth there! Lovely looking armor to. I can totally imagine him being a boss in some kind of video game ;)

Reactions: Farmer7574

Borgnine

Master Necromancer
True Blood
Jun 15, 2013
Pruszkow, Poland
@Irisado Thanks, glad you like it - good that you noticed the eyes - first time I made photos of him, I totally overlooked them - so it's good that it was worth it to paint them and reshoot the photos ;)

@Theerteen don't worry, I am getting really out of steam with those zombies ;) Still, thanks! xD Grey or greyish skin may be indeed a good idea, I'll have to try it out.

@Adam_Barrow I saw the pics, that one looks pretty rusty, that's also an interesting idea... if I get the skin to look dry enough, wet gore will still stand out a lot - I'll have to try it out too, thanks!

@Farmer7574 I never really thought about my zombies like that ;) But I guess it gives me the most variety and possibilities when building them, so that's the only way to do it ;) Still, I am counting now to see if I have a spare zombie to put it one laying on the ground on the Stegaon's base, to show that they aren't that capable of staying on him ;) Giving that troll a body to throw is also a good idea, but I wanted to show that it's a stone troll after all ;) Thanks for the comment!

@Nagash Worshiper Thanks! Glad to be giving some ideas ;) We'd have to see if I'll manage to paint that beast in time! And a video game, you say? A "Horse Simulator" probably ;)

----------------------------------------------------------------------

And a small update on zombies. To get a base big enough for the Stegadon, I had to join three 60x40mm bases together - and while that was curing I took the box I bought lately and started putting it together - Frostgrave Barbarians, that is. I thought that with some light converting I'll be able to make them look vaguely Slavic as an alternative to kislevites in my zombie horde - just as pre-Christian slavs are to commonwealth nobles. I still have to add some mustaches and other minor details, but I it's a start ;) It's a nice set BTW, the quality is good and the options are varied.

3UuzLnh.jpg

Reactions: Sessioni

Borgnine

Master Necromancer
True Blood
Jun 15, 2013
Pruszkow, Poland
So, the Stegadon is finished! The beast being hollow inside, with all the zombies on top made it quite difficult to paint - it's really a wonder I managed to avoid sticking one of those pikes in my eye ;) In the end I painted him quite reddish - blue would have worked too, green would make him look more 'undead' but somehow I wasn't able to envision him different than red - some strange stubbornness on my part... I could try harder on the skin, to make it less flat - and maybe give zombies uniforms in similar colors - but he came out pretty good in the end. Now he only needs some more zombies to put around him ;)

Backstory:
Nobody really knows how the giant carcass of a Lustrian stegadon managed to make its way into Kislev, but it didn't really matter - it got added into the zombie legion as any other corpse would. Mimicking the lizardmen way of combat, some zombies are ordered on top of it, but it doesn't really matter most of the time - that rotting behemoth is just a slow, lumbering wall - barely capable of dealing any damage but excellent at stopping almost everything in its tracks. It makes for excellent surprises too - vampires love the look on their enemies' faces when that beast arrives on the battlefield in the middle of a Varsavian forest.

OD0Pehn.jpg

And now I'm back to building my zombies! I'm close to the finish line!

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

Quick Navigation

User Menu