• Roll-up! Roll-up! Come one and all the fantastic Turning the World to Darkness painting competition. Welcome to any skill level, you can find out more here.
  • It's time once again to ferret out those murderous vampires in a new VAU - Vampires Amongst Us. A cross between Cluedo and a roleplay, sometimes gory and often hilarious! Find out more here.

Borgnine's Log: Grimghast Reapers conversion

Duke Danse Macabre

The Duke
True Blood
RE: Borgnine's Log: The Corpse Cart

Those branches on the back are great idea and give so much more as a extra platform to show the OLS, good job! :thumbsup:

Bullhax

Vampire Count
True Blood

Very very good work. Wow. I love that skeleton unit! And the CC is spectacular, I'm especially fond of the very well executed OSL.

Kutslo

Skeleton

Those skeletons are amazing, as is the corpse cart! Really good work :thumbsup:

Borgnine

Staff member
True Blood

Thank you all for the comments, it really motivates to paint more and better with this!

@u_m - Big thanks! I had many breaks while making skellies, but I think that I'd make them in a week while only painting, I think...

@Vorri - I think I'll make an army shot after I'll paint my vampires, which are on the list after Krell. I still need to see this idea of mine with whole army being green and vampires being red - I hope it'll look as good as I hope ^^'

As for the progress ( ._.) I started Krell, but I only done the bone and based the metal before verdigrisin' it - it was a rough week... But right now I am changing my job, getting more money and time from it - some maybe it'll speed up the updates ;)

More undeads right just after I'm done with making christmas presents ;)

Borgnine

Staff member
True Blood

KRELL WIP DOWN BELOW

Well okay. Christmas are coming in a moment and I have just the right amount of time to post a little thing.

The present! Strangely enough - it's plog related. I spend most of my free time lately on doing it for my GF - I thought about making minis of us as a battle couple ;) This was surely something new - not only making whole minis out of scratch, but also painting something more contemporary. It was time-consuming, but I also learned a lot, it was fun and challenging when trying to get the resemblance and she was very happy with it.

I messed some things, but hey, it's the first time on such scale ;]

Greenstuff version:

And the finished version:

And to put here something VC related - Krell WIP. I got a little discouraged when I was to think of a design on his cloak and then I needed to do the present, so he got neglected a bit :( But now I'll go back to it and paint him, when I'll catch some time ;)

Cheers and merry christmas!

Last edited:

Borgnine

Staff member
True Blood
RE: Borgnine's Log: Christmas battle couple + KrellWIP

Thanks!

I was painting my verdigris GGs just a moment before new paints came out, so I was doing it with glazing turquoise paint ;) Now I'm also doing it this way, because I want them to stay similiar ;)

Regarding progress - I still don't have much time to paint, so for now I assembled my ghouls, filled the gaps, working on a little vargoyle conversion and making lots of plans for my extensive crypt horror/zombie ogres conversion. In the nearby future....

Kutslo

Skeleton

That Krell is looking awesome. How do you do the verdigris effect? Mine is quite basic, so interested to hear other people's methods.

I also like the idea of zombie ogres as crypt horrors... I've got some ideas on how I'd like to do it but look forward to seeing yours!

Borgnine

Staff member
True Blood

Thanks!

I did a little 'tutorial' about my way of doing verdigris and it can be found earlier in this thread here

And yes, ogres are awesome for this. They are so basic that they are also wildly customizable with other parts, bits and greenstuff conversions, much more that three poses of original CH. And also chaper xD

Last edited:

Borgnine

Staff member
True Blood

It's time for new pictures!

And Krell!

As a Wight King, he is kept mostly in the same theme as the rest of them, only more. New thing is the Marble Axe - I always wanted to paint something marble and this seemed like a good opportunity. Tell me what you think about this :] Also - I'm sorry for the photos... I just can't seem to get the lighting and setting on the camera right...

So, here he is - Krell, or as he's named in my army of (kinda) slavic wights - Kiril the WoodsmanxD

Some backstory for this guy:
During his life, Kiril was a sturdy lumberjack in the thick forests of Varsavia. He felled innumerable trees and many chaos marauders that wandered near his house. This lasted for many years, until a big war between Varsavians and Chaos forces rumbled through his forest. When the ancient soldiers led by the summoned Avatar of the Death God found themselves being pushed back, Kiril himself were able to pulverize a big enemy camp when he finally stumbled upon it. After that he was invited into the army and barbarians quickly learned to fear the sight of a burly man with a two-handed axe, especially after he took a liking to take the enemy armor for himself. Dressed as a chaos warrior, he became a hero, a living legend amongst the Varsavians - a Bogatyr, as they called such people. While he wasn't that much of a tactician, he made up for that with his death toll. For that he got blessed by the Death God and after many years, he was laid in a ceremonial tomb along with the magic armor made from northern scraps and a special cursed axe made from green marble - a gift from the prophet. After being raised by Hautfell, he almost instantly jumped into what he does best - killing enemies of Varsavia along with his brothers in arms.

Picture updated on 11.03.2017

proxy.php?image=http%3A%2F%2Fi.imgur.com%2Fy9bHcvG.jpg&hash=4df57cc46266ab6e52e5635af288890c

And together with his unit.

Picture updated on 11.03.2017

proxy.php?image=http%3A%2F%2Fi.imgur.com%2F5ayQOTd.jpg&hash=0b1096445c7de5af281e49264e9d4745

And a little bonus! My greenstuffing work on the Vargoyle. In the artwork in the book Vargheists have such big jaws - I wanted to try something like pictured there. I think it came quite close to the one on the foreground ^^

And now! Current projects is doing my vampire generals at last :rolleyes: I still don't have a set color design for them, so I don't really know how it'll turn out, but I'll try my best :)

Last edited:

Raven Torrid

Black Knight
RE: Borgnine's Log: Finished Krell + VargoyleWIP

Once again, magnificent work. Krell's cloak is astounding, and he just fits the GG so perfectly! Axe came out perfectly IMO.

And that Vargoyle looks proper twisted. :)

Gorgeous looking Krell. Love the detail on the cloak and the marble axe. Great conversion on the vargoyle too! Looks just like the rulebook pic.

ObliviJohn

Vampire wood elf

Yay! Updates in one of my favorite plogs. Now I can go to bed in a good mood. =)

That Wight King looks great. Wow, I'm so jelly of your army. You got a real epic theme going. It brings warmth to my old vampire bones.

Wow, amazing detail on Krell's cloak -- love how it matches the banner too! ...also, excellent job on the banner. :) Love the posing on the varghulf too! Very nice.

Mad 'At

Dumb enough to work
Staff member
True Blood

Marble effect on the axe looks great, slight criticism though would be that its colour is a bit too close to the colour of the armour, might just be in the picture though. If not it could perhaps be fixed by a glaze to make it greener.

His cloak is astounding and so is the unit.

I also like the GS work on the Vargoyle's shoulders, frighteningly defined muscle tissue xD

Cudos a realy sweet looking unit. If you ever get tired of it just pm me and ill give ya an adress to send it to. ;)

The cloak alone is awesome Borgnine! Loving the axe aswell! Kicking my Krell's ass sooo bad! Grr wish I had more talent.

GS work looks great aswell. Nice job!

Theerteen

Cheerful Cranium
True Blood

Ahahahah nice xD I love the Vargoyle's expression! Very very cool, reminds me at some oldschool monster horror movies (loving most of them ;) )

Good spot, Mad 'At, I didn't even notice it at first, but that Vargoyle has clearly been eating a bunch of 'roided-up dwarven bodybuilders. Yeesh!

Borgnine

Staff member
True Blood

Thanks for all the comments everyone!

@Raven Torrid - thanks! I was trying to keep him in the same style as the rest of them - and my own tutorial was very helpul in this regard ^^
@benvoliothefirst - at first I was going for the one on the background of the picture in the book, but he came out looking as the foreground one. That's fine too xD
@ObliviJohn - and it makes me very happy to see such impact of this thread xD
@Mad 'At - I was already glazing it, but I really overdid it with the amount of blue in the mix - I'll try re-greening it one day :) Thanks for the critique.
@Rigor Mortis - I'll keep that in mind ;)
@Vorri - thanks! Your Krell is good too! And there is hardly such a thing as talent - only practice ;) practice more! xD
@Theerteen - now that you say it, he really has feel of that to him ;)
@benvoliothefirst - well, the Vargheist ale already quite 'roided and fit - it just seemed fitting ^^'

Looking at my own photos I noticed that Krell's cloak and the banner are kinda different shade of yellow ;/ I'll need to retouch that one day...

As for the vampires - Not much done, but I at least and at last - devised a colour scheme for each of them xD Sadly, the christmas break is over and university is once again calling me into it's nasty clutches... all the projects and dealines... Von Grefens will have to wait! But we'll see how it'll turn out in the end ;]

Also - a picture - just because post will be better with a picture, just because xD

Last edited:

Beside of that i wondering which kind of model is the middle Vampire? Could you help me to clear that?

Borgnine

Staff member
True Blood

vegabond said:
Beside of that i wondering which kind of model is the middle Vampire? Could you help me to clear that?
It's 'Dark Vlad' from Enigma Miniatures. Pretty badass looking and quite popular, looking at the threads here.

Theerteen

Cheerful Cranium
True Blood

Found it, how could it have taken so long while it's one of my alltime fav movies xD
Army of Darkness, Baby! :D

Hey Borgnine, I think your army is just great and it has so much flavour!
This is my first post on Carpe Noctem, altough I have been perusing for a while :).
Just wanted to say that and ask a question about your skeleton horde!

Here it is: You spoke some about playing with your green color. I for one love how it has turned out on the skeletons. Could you perhaps write a quick tutorial about how you did it?

Borgnine

Staff member
True Blood

@Theerteen

They surely have the same mother ;) Also - could the artist be inspired by the movie? :)

@Laerhof

I'm very glad to hear this and I welcome you on CN.. but I think I cannot help you as much as you'd probably like :( I am mixing all manner of colours in all manner of proportions, often adding a little bit of this to get the shade just right, and then glazing it and changing the hue every now and then - and I am unable to give you a recipe... But I'll tell as much as I can.

Here is as accurate representation as I was able to create it from memory - only the shades and hues, not the recipies. I was mostly using goblin green. I then used brown to make it dirtier sometimes, yellow and blue to change the hue a bit, or white and black to darken or lighten it.

The green parts were painted flat with the 1. color, on the white basecoat. The I used the 2. color - watered down and thinned with Vallejo Glaze Medium [more water than medium] to paint all the crevices and darken them - watered down paint goes nicely in them. The paint is quite watery, very flowy, like milk.

Later I used the 3. color - also watered down, but this time thicker - I wanted it thin, but not flowing. Then I painted all the elevated areas and the that'll be on the upside - starting the motion of the brush when I wanted it darker and ending on the places when I wanted it light. After doing that I added more white into the 3. color - and using it thicker than before I painted the more visible edges, making them 'pop' a little.

And then I thought I was finished, but I found the colour 'too yellow' for my taste... I mixed a glaze with aforementioned Glaze Medium, the colour 4. I used more medium than water - and then I painted all over the green parts, watching so that it won't pool in the crevices. It changed the colour to a little more 'blue' tone, more similiar to the rest of my troops. It also masked some differences between the shades and hightlights.

And that is all - all I could tell about it. I know it's not much, but I hope it'll help even a little bit ;)