• Roll-up! Roll-up! Come one and all the fantastic Turning the World to Darkness painting competition. Welcome to any skill level, you can find out more here.
  • It's time once again to ferret out those murderous vampires in a new VAU - Vampires Amongst Us. A cross between Cluedo and a roleplay, sometimes gory and often hilarious! Find out more here.

Borgnine's Log: Nurgle BB Bloaters conversions

Borgnine

Staff member
True Blood
@Farmer7574 Thank you for the comment! I'm glad that you read those dryads as I intended them ;) I also think they will turn out really messy, I just hope it'll be readable somehow! And yes, the conversions took much longer than I expected - they deserve to be shown and take a weekly slot ;)

I'm glad you like the orcs too! BB is actually the only game that I play nowadays - a match with my wife at home doesn't take much time as a random 'serious' game in the shop and it's plenty fun. That makes me actually motivated much more to paint stuff for it - so in the future BB updates will be much more frequent!

Borgnine

Staff member
True Blood
Oh - and there's a new update from sunday!

Here I have some Skin Wolves from Forge World. I always liked those models but I couldn't find a good excuse to incorporate them into my collection. Well, I could use them as Varghulfs, but I already have some of those and they are all bat monsters, having werewolves added to that mix didn't sit well with me. Then, when I started expanding my collection beyond just undead and came up with body-horror-themed 'Dwellers of the Bog', those wolves suddenly found their place.

They fit right in as they are so the conversions are minimal here - I added the Lady's sigil on their bodies ('painted' on with Liquid Greenstuff mixed with gloss varnish, visible at the bottom of the post) and filed off any Chaos iconography. The painting was pretty straightforward, I went with light human skin and dark wolf flesh for the contrast. Only on the hands themselves, I tried to go for the 'flayed flesh' effect to bring more attention to them and I think it turned out pretty good.

Their own unique fairy tale:

Once upon a time, there were three hunters, masters of their craft, who were trying to help their starving village during an exceptionally strong winter. Most of the game was already hunted down - everywhere but in the lush garden that belonged to the wise and beautiful enchantress. She forbade anyone from hunting on her grounds, but the hunters were desperate and they decided to try nevertheless. They fell down a great stag - but as they were rejoicing, the enchantress appeared before them. They shook with fear, but the wise woman told them that the rule was just a test to find those truly skillful and brave. In reward, she offered them a chance to become better hunters than they could ever be - strong, fast, resilient, with keen senses. They could also hunt in her gardens without restrictions and their village would never know hunger again. They just had to swear their allegiance to her. Three hunters agreed and they took the stag back home, where they were greeted as heroes. After a great feast, they woke up at midnight, horrifying transformation ripping their skin open and breaking their bones. Turned into crazed, grotesque man-wolves, hearing the Lady’s whispers in their ears, they killed and devoured every single person in the village. Ever since that night, they roam Varsavia on the Lady’s of the Bog orders, only occasionally turning back into humans to realize what they agreed to.

proxy.php?image=https%3A%2F%2F1.bp.blogspot.com%2F-EnIJGgaGJlA%2FXRkmBwYVRUI%2FAAAAAAAACwk%2FZo9M0lIji0AAOj-gqPsroRhvuRDE5znHwCLcBGAs%2Fs1600%2Fskinwolves_small.jpg&hash=4cf9d79887f973dedb875bfc467f60c1

Borgnine

Staff member
True Blood
I converted the Rotters and then some Pestigors for my Nurgle Blood Bowl team, now it's finally time for the Warriors, or how they are now called - the Bloaters. Those big, slow and bulky roadblocks are the core of the team and my favorite positionals in the team, the stars that crush the opposition with their mutated fists.

Ones available in the current GW kit are fine models, but in no way how I envision those players. After playing Blood Bowl 2 video game, I imagine them more similar to stereotypical Chaos Warrior, with armor and spikes. The most obvious choice in this situation was to revisit the delightful kit of Putrid Blightkings. I choose 4 of them, leaving one to serve as a Head Coach later and went crazy with the conversions representing their skills, just like my other players from this team.

Wanting to justify their heavy armor, atypical for modern Bloaters, I came up with a backstory that they were displaced through time by Nurgle, many, many years forward, making them living (?) relicts of the old ways. To go extra ancient I gave them roman-themed names and crests on the heads. This brings them all together as the special players and strengthens the effect of how ancient and out-of-touch with the modern Blood Bowl fashion they are.

Here are they all together:

proxy.php?image=https%3A%2F%2F1.bp.blogspot.com%2F-zxzMUDJgnYM%2FXRfd8mnE9oI%2FAAAAAAAACvQ%2FDPNQF786_Iw1VJZaRZYSXQpYAg3ci9xiACLcBGAs%2Fs1600%2Fbloaterstogether_small.jpg&hash=d8e6d970bd01bb3a0b760ee8793668d2

And some closer photos.

Captain on the left was the first that I made and which gave me the least problems when deciding what to do. This is easily my favorite pose out of the Blightkings kit and came together beautifully with what I had in mind - the stone under the foot got changed into a ball, left hand was in great position to sculpt a scary pincer there (instead of some variation on Wolverine claws, I went with the classic interpretation of the 'Claw' mutation) and the outstretched hand was perfect for a 'thumbs down' gesture, bringing even more Roman themes into the whole mess.

The second one has 'Stand Firm' as his upgrade and this one took the longest to design. At first, I wanted to give him thick and bloated legs, but then it would be too similar to the captain's right leg - so I left this topic for a while. Only later I decided to turn his legs into a mass of swarming tentacles and worms - which both greatly illustrates how well is he glued to the ground but also fits Grandfather Nurgle perfectly.

proxy.php?image=https%3A%2F%2F1.bp.blogspot.com%2F-hvQOQ0IQyuo%2FXRfd9QOPKUI%2FAAAAAAAACvY%2FHFwzXRjKuoA9IBD-zZcSGwnHho0ZWXZsACLcBGAs%2Fs1600%2Fbloaters1_small.jpg&hash=4eb412812508c2df9bbc3edaef7911ca

Here below, the guy on the left is the one that rolled doubles when leveling - and he got 'Jump Up' which helps players get up quickly after being knocked down. To represent that, I decided to give him a lot of spider legs sticking from his back - which would prop him back easily after he falls down. His body was the most armored of all the Blightkings, so to retain some balance I decided to make him completely unarmored from the breastplate up - like rotting meat rupturing a metal can.

And the last one is the Bloater with 'Mighty Blow'. I thought about representing it quite a lot and many options were just not good - giving him a large fist could be confused with 'Big Hand' while adding a lot of spikes on it could be confused with 'Claw'. I considered giving him a heavy hand made out of stone, but in the end, I decided on giving him a thick, flexible appendage ending with a spiked ball - like a fleshy flail of sorts - with a sporty armband to keep him properly themed. Hopefully, it's heavy- and slow-looking enough not to be confused with a 'Tentacles' mutation.

proxy.php?image=https%3A%2F%2F1.bp.blogspot.com%2F-VCtEPd_j8yA%2FXRfd9fFFmGI%2FAAAAAAAACvU%2F21SZ0RxVz98czcKkQsCh1_r-w4HfJ3mzwCLcBGAs%2Fs1600%2Fbloaters2_small.jpg&hash=30996b327ae19907519e1b32181b09aa

Borgnine

Staff member
True Blood
At last something undead-related!

It's been some time since the last odd necromancer, now it's time for the second one - Matthias, the fancy necromancer who's living under the delusion that all the death and decay around him is actually a pristine elegance.

While Alarich was kinda complicated to convert and straightforward to paint, this one was the opposite. There's barely any conversions on him and an overabundance of freehands. It was challenging a bit, especially keeping the patterns visible while giving them some depth, but also a nice change from other, dirty necromancers in my collection. It was also a good opportunity to do the trick with just polishing the sword on a metal miniature instead of painting it - this guy sure looks like someone who uses a very shiny, clean weapon.

As a piece of trivia - I took his name from an old, old Vampire: the Masquerade character I played, from my edgy teenager phase ;)

The backstory:
Yet another necromancer shown to Hautfell during his search for allies was Matthias Schwarzfeuer. He was sitting alone in a dilapidated palace in the Varsavian wilderness, being tended to by undead servants. Despite all of that, his manners were overwhelmingly noble and royal, his clothes clean, ornate and impeccable. He was indeed a necromancer, quite powerful at that, but he thought, that his profession wasn’t an excuse to stop caring about looking and acting as a noble should. Schwarzfeuer addressed his undead minions with Empire military ranks and still considered himself an important Empire citizen. It was unknown if he was so elitist that he refused to acknowledge the reality around him or he was just stark raving mad. Nevertheless, he acted as a competent ally and necromancer, as long it was an old nobleman Hautfell talking to him - he wouldn’t debase himself taking orders or advice from those beneath him.

proxy.php?image=https%3A%2F%2F1.bp.blogspot.com%2F-dLZWCWHLAaM%2FXRofoAcG47I%2FAAAAAAAACw8%2FujdUaU1ZWL4EUGxH1K49rruxGNRVg4fkQCLcBGAs%2Fs1600%2Fschwarzfeuer_small.jpg&hash=d6d40fc560ac5e7e9a02792318dda595

Farmer7574

Vampire Count
True Blood
Top job buddy - those Skin Wolves look like something out of a comic book, and painted as though they’re lurking a dark candlelit street. Nice job with the sigils too, they’ve been painted to stand out really well.

Also love the continuation of the GS conversions to show abilities/upgrades on your BB minis - big fan of them all but I especially love the aesthetics of the ‘Jump’ guy.

The conversion of the old necromancer is awesome. He looks fantastic and that hat really matches what you’ve described of him. Way better than the original, in both regards - paint job and appearance.

Great work mate.

Theerteen

Cheerful Cranium
True Blood
Ah what is there left to say, as always it's fresh and awesome stuff, it has it's share of pleasingly creepyness, and your modelling and painting still improves even further. Not that is was ever bad, but even then there's a huge level between your first stuff here and now. Keep going mate. Impressing.