• It's time once again to ferret out those murderous vampires in a new VAU - Vampires Amongst Us. A cross between Cluedo and a roleplay, sometimes gory and often hilarious! Find out more and sign-up! here.

Borgnine

Master Necromancer
True Blood
Jun 15, 2013
Pruszkow, Poland
I decided to make this all a little more organized, so I'm editing the first post a bit (thankfully I doubleposted ;) ) and make an index here. Furthermore, I was reading End Times book recently and I really liked these little bits of backstory for every small unit mentioned - so I wrote my own backstories, exploring the relationships between the characters in this small story of mine. Every finished model will get at least a few sentences. Maybe it's weird to put such thought into these small pieces of plastic, but that's a big part of the appeal for me ;) Every backstory will be hidden in the spoilers, so it should be easy to avoid for people that aren't interested in that ;)

BORGNINE'S LOG - INDEX

General Backstory for the whole army:
This is mainly a story of three vampire brothers - Constantin, Lucan and Sorin, all hailing from house von Greifen. It all began with their sire - Laurentin von Greifen. He was once a lord in a small county south of Kislev called Varsavia. From there he was driven away - and then found safe haven further west, close to the Empire border with Bretonnia. He managed to take over a small noble family of von Greifen there and changed his name accordingly. How he was called before, was lost to history. There he spawned his get - the three mentioned brothers - and managed to create an unstable, but own realm. That continued for many decades, during which brothers were often fed stories about Varsavia. Stories of great power hidden in the forest and marshes, both awe-inspiring and terrifying. Despite longing which he felt for that land, Laurentin became slothful, completely unmotivated to get Varsavia back, his progressing derangement wasn't helping anything and dangerous neighbors were just a looming nail to the coffin. Seeing this situation inescapable, with their 'father' still ruling, Constantin von Greifen, along with his two brothers and some others organized a rebellion. They instigated a war with bretonnian house Sagremor and then, during the ensuing chaos, killed their father and ran away into Varsavia, looking to take back the land they heard so much before, find and then harness mysterious powers lurking within.
The lords that chased Laurentin away earlier died a long time ago and their living descendants were holding their lands only barely, squabbling with themselves and fending off barbarians and monsters. Putting themselves to rule these families, one by one von Greifens started their new story in the land of Varsavia.

CHARACTERS:

Von Greifen vampires:
Constantin von Greifen / GW Vlad Von Carstein + WIP SCARYGUY
Lucan von Greifen / Samurai Vampire from West Wind Vampire Wars + WIP
Sorin von Greifen / Dark Vlad from Enigma Miniatures + WIP
Ioana von Greifen / Monique Denoir from Reaper Miniatures
Abelard von Greifen / GW Blood Dragon Vampire (BSB) + WIP1 WIP2 WIP3

Von Greifen's vampire allies:
Eshnuu / GW Necrarch + WIP

Necromancers:
Alexander Hautfell / GW Heinrich Kemmler
Rado Krebs / GW Plastic Necromancer
Haughr of Förghann / GW mounted Chaos Sorcerer converted into a necromancer + WIP

Ancient Varsavians:
Avatar of the Death God / GW Nagash + WIP1 WIP2 WIP3 WIP4 WIP5 WIP6 WIP7 WIP8
Kiril the Woodsman / GW Krell the Lord of Undead + WIP
Zlyshko the Spider King / GW Plastic Wight King
Daremnych the Grand Liche Priest / Converted Avatars of War 'Necromancer Lord' + WIP

Lady Sokolov's Court:
Ecaterina Sokolov / Converted GW Coven Throne + WIP1 WIP2 WIP3 WIP4 WIP5
Vaclav the Red / GW Vampire Lord on converted Imrik's dragon + WIP1 WIP2 WIP3 WIP4 WIP5 WIP6 WIP7

Dwellers of the Bog:
Haralamb Gudvanger / Converted GW Nurgle Lord + WIP
Gavros the Strigoi Brother / Converted GW Terrorgheist Strigoi Ghoul King + WIP
Serrana the Strigoi Sister / Gamezone's 'The Harpy's Embrace' + WIP

Spectres:
Doina the Forsaken / Reaper Bones Ghost
Wraith Swordsman / Spectral Minion from Reaper
Ghost of the Ice Witch / GW Cairn Wraith + WIP
Berthild & Erentraud Hautfell / Two old GW Banshees

CORE UNITS:

The Zombie Legion / 400-wound strong unit of various converted zombies from various manufacturers
Hautfell's Skeletal Regiment / GW Skeleton Warriors + WIP
Varsavian Wretches / GW and Mantic Ghouls
Vilks / GW Dire Wolves
Sorin's Wolf Pack / Zombie Wolves from Gamezone Miniatures

SPECIAL UNITS:

Wight Infantry / GW Grave Guard + WIP1 WIP2 WIP3 WIP4
Wight Cavalry / GW Black Knights + WIP1 WIP2
Fluttering Beasts / Bloodthirsty Bats from Mirliton S.G (Bat Swarm)
Monsters from the East / GW Vargheists + WIP
Livio Heim / GW Corpse Cart
Restless Spirits / GW LOTR Warriors of the Dead (Spirit Hosts)
The Green Hunt / GW Hexwraiths with GW Chaos Marauder Horses + WIP1 WIP2
Alkonosts / Converted Mirliton's Eagles (Fell Bats) + WIP1 WIP2 WIP3
Sirins / Converted GW Wood Elf Warhawks (Fell Bats) + WIP1 WIP2 WIP3
Gudvanger's Monsters / Converted GW Ogres (Crypt Horrors) + WIP1 WIP2 WIP3
Gudvanger's Flying Horrors / Converted GW Carrion + WIP
The Deadminder / Gamezone's 'The Chariot of the Harvester'
Varsavian Hermits / Converted old GW Spirit Hosts

RARE UNITS:

Fledermaus / GW Varghulf
The Prenzlauer Guard / Converted GW Chaos Knights (Blood Knights) + WIP1 WIP2
Netherpyr / GW Terrorgheist + WIP
The Effigy of Death / Converted GW Necrosphinx + WIP1 WIP2 WIP3 WIP4 WIP5 WIP6
Gatzek / Converted Wolfbomination from Zombicide + WIP

THE KINGDOM OF KISLEV

Sir Baranowski / GW Kislev Boyar

OTHER STUFF:

Tutorials:
Borgnine's Verdigris Tutorial
Borgnine's Verdigris Tutorial with pictures
Instruction on painting rust on my skeletons
Swamp base tutorial

Blood Bowl:
The Badlands Badbuttz / Orc team from the 2016 box + WIP
The Carcassonne Cavaliers / Standard human team converted into a Bretonnian one + WIP

Group shots:
Army Shot 1
Army Shot 2
"Rebasing" of old minis
Berlin Collection Shot

Miscellaneous:
Blutmane von Nachthoof, the Blood Dragon horse
Christmas Present for my GF
Slavic wooden sculpture flyer bases
My first mini ever
Minis for my wedding

Last edited:

Borgnine

Master Necromancer
True Blood
Jun 15, 2013
Pruszkow, Poland
1st Post:

I wandered through some logs here and I thought I might as well try making one myself. I'm still before playing my first VC game, so I can't really participate on the tactics section, but I surely can post something in the Dark Art ;] Getting some feedback and critique would be nice, but sharing it and getting motivated would be even better ;]

I got interested in WFB again lately and vampires sparked my interest so much that I bought some units, searched trough bidding sites and I am currently painting them - instead of finishing my 6year old Bretonnian army or completing my "thebestever" Skaven Doomwheel - which is also few years old....

So.. Let's get this started.

The general backstory for the whole army and the introduction into it can be found a little bit above, at the beginning of the index :)

First figure I painted this 'season' - Bones ghost from Reaper. It's very cheap and looks great - it counts as Banshee in my army right now. It was painted very quickly - just white undercoat and lots of glazes - and it still looks presentable. Sadly, I was so eager to paint that I forgotten to clean the mould lines, that's bad... well, I'll remember about it now ;]

Some story for her in the spoiler:
Doina the Forsaken, Constantin's first successful summoning of something else than a zombie - a spirit of a long forgotten woman who roams the nights searching for victims to play pranks on. Despite being quite senile (even for a ageless ghost!), she's still quite capable of frightening people to death with her scream. Von Greifens use this ability happily, if she's able to understand their commands, of course.

q8RkgIk.jpg

Next were zombies.

I found lots of them on a bidding site [albeit most of them were missing an arm or two - but they were cheap!] and then bought a single box of them and ended with 65 of them - after some conversions and tricks to use every single part I could ;] First time in my life I tried painting so many models at once. It was efficient, but going through all those phases, from bases through painting to glazing 65 times each time makes even the simplest of work very long. I tried to make it simple, avoided making each of them a painting masterpiece - knowing they are just zombies, not heroes of elites, but it still took a great deal of time. After days on sitting and painting them I was throughly sick of those rotting bastards, but I have a big horde right now, completely painted, yay for me!

Some background in the spoiler:
A backbone and a foundation of most von Greifen armies, the zombies. Especially liked by Constantin, who appreciates the pragmatic usefullness of such warriors. They keep the enemy blades busy while hardier troops maneouvre around the enemy and are very easy to raise - an especially important point for the not-especially-talented-in-the-dark-arts von Greifens. The rotation of the staff is very high, but there's always a band or two of zombies present in the vampire's company.

Pictures of guys in separate units.

U7b0EmZ.jpg

And the picture of whole horde

pMWeNmo.jpg

And some of my favourites. The standard bearer is carrying the name "Von Greifen" which is how I named my family of vampires. It's inspired by a certain street in Berlin by which my GF lives - she also helped with the idea of skeletal griffon on the coat of arms :) I know that the inscription could be painted better and I will probably improve it a bit later - I was just eager to finish zombies as soon as possible :rolleyes: On the bottom of the picture you can see some ideas one come up with when all left hands were already used ;]

kce2mtq.jpg

And that's all the painted guys for now. Next one is a varghulf - I love monsters so much I can't really go back to other minis before I paint the varg. This time I will try to actually paint and blend and not rely mostly on glazes to do the work for me ;]

Critique, feedback and really all kinds of comments are welcome ;)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2nd Post:

Oh - and one thing more - I've got some questions.

First one - the GGs. I have this dilemma and I don't really know which side to picks. I already chosen GW for them as they look a little more 'elite' with them - but the shields, they are soo cool. And I ask - is it really strange that I would put the shields on their sides, kinda like this [three guys on the left]:

8P1GyDt.jpg

Yes, I already chopped off original GWs as I find them ridiculous - I put in their place hand weapons from GG set and also skeleton warriors set.
Right now, if I put the shield by them I could probably field them as sword&board and GWs - it's kinda like this "why not both" joke. But I am as much for including awesome GG shields as for leaving them only with swords. I'll probably paint them all and shields seperately and then try doing something with them, but maybe someone here will have some kind of experience/idea how to deal with it ;]

And next, technical questions for people accustomed to the forum a little more:

1. Does forum squeeze too big pictures to fit the width or someone would be forced to scroll left&right to see the bigger ones? I hate scrolling sideways so I always try to make my pictures relatively small, but knowing if I could put here a bigger picture with some nice mini and not force people to scroll would be nice ;]

2. Ploggers - do you post your finished minis here AND to Unholy Masterpieces or only in one of those places? Having minis segregated by type is nice when searching for certain inspiration, but also people having their own logs is nice too - and I don't really know what is the custom here.

And thanks for replies and answers - if there would be any ;)

Last edited:

Mad 'At

Dumb enough to work
Staff member
True Blood
Apr 2, 2011
Grödinge
RE: Borgnine's log with zombies and other fuzzy creatures

Looks like a great start. I envy you for having your zombies painted up and ready :D Great standard bearer too, subtle in colour but awesome in design.

I like what you did with the GG's great weapons, the shields though... looks a bit odd. I know they are cool but they don't seam to fit there. Perhaps you could put them on their right arms?

Onto your questions:
1. I don't think so. But most photohosting sites autocratically resizes pictures so it should not be a very big problem.

2. Some do, you can post everything in your plog and then pictures in the "Show us your ###" threads for individual units so that other people can find them easier for inspiration.

Ustrello

Grave Guard
May 2, 2013

They look really awesome dude. I would say keep the shields on the side it gives them kind of a different flair

Borgnine

Master Necromancer
True Blood
Jun 15, 2013
Pruszkow, Poland

Big thanks for comments!

I appreciate the input on the GG's shields. I kinda expected that people won't like them, but it's interesting to see that people like it too ;]

@ Adam_Barrow
Yeah, I thought about putting them on the back - the only problem is that I plan to use the relatively big space of the armor there to paint a fancy freehand I had in mind for some time.. :rolleyes: But I'll see how it turns out - maybe after painting it will fit to put them on the back - or on the side, or on their arms...

I guess I'll try your suggestions later and I'll see how it looks best. And maybe I won't paint all those gorgeous shields only to decide to ditch them all and leave Grave Guards with weapons only ;/

Thanks for the suggestions anyway ;)

Borgnine

Master Necromancer
True Blood
Jun 15, 2013
Pruszkow, Poland

I told that I will be making a varghulf - and I undercoated it, painted some things which will be too hard to paint when assembled. Then I glued his arms and filled the gaps with greenstuff - and suddenly I was forced to wait for the GS to harden -.-

In the meantime I decided to do some more conversions with my cheaply bought chaos warriors that I want to turn into Blood Knights. I will post the whole conversion later. I have almost everything, I only need to make a standard and horn for the command group.

I tried real sculpting for the first time - something other than only lines, scales or simple stuff like this ;] I took GG heads and decided to flesh them out a bit and make them vampires - and I am very happy with the results - so I'll post them here ;)

iQabdQY.jpg

Some are better and some are worse - but they look even better in real life ;] On the right is the kastellan / vampire lord - and you can see how much stuff I glued to the poor bretonnian errant knight head to turn it into this darth vader vampire mask guy :)

Last edited:

Theerteen

Cheerful Cranium
True Blood
Aug 20, 2012
Germany

Sometimes I think it was a bad choice creating my account here, most of the time I have finished something that looks cool in my eyes, someone else comes along with the same model, painted in a badass better way..ääääärrrrr :ghost: Great zombies dude! The banner is also nice, "von Greifen" sounds like an old german aristocratic family, which fits nice in the Warhammer Fantasy world.

The shields..I fear I have to join the anti-fraction, I love the new great weapon GG's, and in my opinion the shields don't fit. But I can absolutely understand your wish to add things (even if they don't fit the rules) for a personal style, we all would be wrong here on the hobby if we don't have this compulsion to individualize our models :thumbsup:

Looking forward for more, especially for the varghulf..I don't like the original GW model, but I'm exited to see new turns on it

Borgnine

Master Necromancer
True Blood
Jun 15, 2013
Pruszkow, Poland

Thanks for the feedback Theerteen, aprreciate it! I like the GW varghulf - it's pose is kinda strange and I intended to convert it, but it grew on me. Second one will be probably the zombie werewolf from reaper - that one is also great.

So - here is the varghulf - which I named 'Fledermaus' - and yes, I know it simply means bat in german. But it is kind of endearing that this kind of beast is a "maus" ;) But I digress...

Backstory in the spoiler:
Long time ago it was a rival of Laurentin von Greifen. Then he got captured, tortured and subsequently turned into this monstrosity, often affectionately called "Fledermaus". Opressed and kicked around by Laurentin, he found a strange friend in Constantin, who treated him with some kind of affection, like an interesting pet. It wasn't very suprising that he helped the younger von Greifen during his rebellion against his creator. He is following Constantin ever since, ready to wreak havoc in the enemy lines or scaring rivals in exchange for a steady supply of meat and blood.

ycUtDQD.jpg

First mini ever that I painted while undercoating it only white spray. It's a metal model which is awesome, but also the worst thing ever. Paint chipped by using a lightest touch -.- But it was fun to paint.
I have this plan that vampiric units will be in reds and greyish blues, while the rest of the army will be rather green - as you could have seen with zombies and a ghost. Hope you'll like the Varghulf.

And now I will probably continue with converting Blood Knights, we'll see how that'll turn out.

Last edited:

Duke Danse Macabre

The Duke
True Blood
Sep 16, 2010
Sunderland, United Kingdom
RE: Borgnine's log with zombies and [this time: Varghulf]

For first time greenstuffing that is bloody great results!
Took me ages to get used to it and only because I learned how to build wire frames.....

Great work blending on the Varghulf mate, now I am going to expect even more when you do your terrorghiest. :thumbsup:

Reaper

Wight King
Aug 30, 2011

The sculpting on the faces is great! And I absolutely love the Castellan/Vampire lord! :thumbsup: Can't wait to see him painted! Also, would you mind sharing what bits did you use on his head?

Borgnine

Master Necromancer
True Blood
Jun 15, 2013
Pruszkow, Poland

Thanks for the feedback!

@Duke Danse Macabre - och yes, the terrorgheist - I am already planning what to do with him, but at the moment I have too much specials and rares, so he'll wait after I get some more skellies and ghouls :rolleyes: - but I'll surely get one. And I would try to paint it even better. Thanks for the comment!

@Reaper - I appreciate that you like them. Kastellan's/VL's head base was an errant knight's head. The 'cap' on top of his head is from GG set - it's a helmet of one of the warriors. Wings are also GG - from the champion's helmet - those are awesome, they make almost everything more vampiric xD His mask was made using chaos knight's helmet - from which I cut the 'face' section and filed it from the inside to make it fit better. Skull on his forehead is the normal skull from the skeleton set. Rest is green stuff.

Theerteen

Cheerful Cranium
True Blood
Aug 20, 2012
Germany

Oh, looks brutal! Very cool color choice, I think I will go a similar with mine..at the moment he looks a little bit like spider man with his blue-red style..And it seems to be easier to add some dirt and mud on brighter flesh. Nice one Borgnine, thx for the inspiration :thumbsup:

Adam_Barrow

Sleepless Knight
True Blood
Dec 25, 2010
Nashville, TN

Dude, I keep going back and gawking at your zombies. I love the guy with the scythe next to the banner. Such a great pose.

Theerteen

Cheerful Cranium
True Blood
Aug 20, 2012
Germany

Ye, I hate him for that :Vampire1: How long do you spend for an average zombie-like model?

Borgnine

Master Necromancer
True Blood
Jun 15, 2013
Pruszkow, Poland

Hate is such a strong word ;]

I do not really know how much time doing one model would take - i pamited them all simultaneously - and it took mi about 4 days to paint them all with all the paint mixing, and glazing, and drying and all that stuff, excluding assembling and basing. Much time was spent trying to cover their black-undercoated skin with white - never again! I truly welcomed white spray after that.

I find it surprising that those zombies get such praise - but I guess Vallejo Glaze Medium is really liquified magic for me ;]

Ustrello

Grave Guard
May 2, 2013

How'd you do the fur? I want to try something similar with my TG and I was thinking mournfang brown with a bit of mephistion mixed together for the base and a pallid wych flesh dry brush over it.

Borgnine

Master Necromancer
True Blood
Jun 15, 2013
Pruszkow, Poland

@ Ustrello

Och well... I use the old palette so it may be difficult, but I'll try to make is descriptive. I based it with mix of dark brown and reds, which I see is similiar to your choice. Then I drybrushed it mostly with bleached bone - light, desaturated brown. After that I did some glazes with dark reds, browns and black, and then some light, white drybrush over the most pronounced surfaces.

I think that the colors you choose will get similiar effect.

Good luck with this!

EDIT: While checking your colors I looked through the paint selection GW has now - whoa! They surely went a long way from simple 'normal' colors and a handful of thick and glossy washes/inks. Only now it looks as if the choice is to wide - so many types :O Do they work as wonderfully as they are advertized? ;)

Theerteen

Cheerful Cranium
True Blood
Aug 20, 2012
Germany

I like the new colours, especially for smooth color shifts they are very nice, and the classification to bases, layers, and so on is great

Borgnine

Master Necromancer
True Blood
Jun 15, 2013
Pruszkow, Poland

All right, some more stuff to post! Sadly, nothing finished. Lot's of thing were happening lately - and minis were a lower priority ;] But without further ado - my WIP conversion of Chaos Knights into Blood Knights.

I got them cheaply and put quite a bit of work into them [i think it's my most extensive conversion so far] - and now they are less vikings on steroids and more vampires on steroids. I used lots of green stuff and grave guard bits [also - ogres, skeletons and bretonnians] - and also filing any chaospheres. Weapon tips and standard was done with plasticard. Right now I'm basing them and I'll begin painting soon - I'm very interested how they'll turn out and if it'll be as good as I have in my mind ;)

Pics! [I'm sorry for poor quality, but I had to work with worse camera]

Kastellan and his greatswordlance-thing.

ICMBZyE.jpg

Standard bearer - some neat freehand will go on it

23JoxOQ.jpg

Musician

AfA4bQx.jpg

Normal knight

trfAOaw.jpg

A little more frienzied knight

8p6J6N2.jpg

And now I'm off to paint! xD

Last edited:
Reactions: Mioum

Borgnine

Master Necromancer
True Blood
Jun 15, 2013
Pruszkow, Poland
RE: Borgnine's log with zombies and Blood Knights WIP

All right, this surely took time. But after coming back from my sweet vacation in Berlin I went back to work.

So - I finally painted my ChaosKnights-based BK after assembling them and managed to make some photos [note to self: photos in daylight come out better -_- ].

Backstory for the unit in the spoiler:
The Prenzlauer Guard - a small, but very hardy unit of guardsmen employed in the von Greifen family since the time of Laurentin von Greifen. Sworn to protect him, they still jumped at the occasion of a rebelion against their deranged sire when teamed with Constantin, Sorin and Lucan. When times are calmer, they are the lesser governors of keeps dotting the von Greifen's lands. When riding to battle, they all sit on giant, black, undead chargers outfitted with the heaviest of armor lacquered with bloody red paint. Carrying giant weapons and eager to jump into the fray, they are far from the subtlety preferred by Constantin. Still, being able to obliterate hardened units with a single charge ensures them a stabile place in the vampire's army. Their loyalty proved untrue once, but seeing how easy they can be manipilated, they are still rather reliable.

First, each one of them seperately.

Two rank-and-file knights [if you can talk about normal dudes in Blood Knights unit ;] first one is probably my favourite in the whole band.

uYq2rNO.jpg

txnOftM.jpg

The musician:

fjQtwTr.jpg

The standard bearer:

K5OlybT.jpg

And the Castellan, or a hero/lord vampire - depending on how I'll need him:

lGxvDd1.jpg

rahB38Q.jpg

And a closeup on the freehand on the banner :)

gjSV4Kl.jpg

The rest in the next post :]

Last edited:
Reactions: Mioum

Borgnine

Master Necromancer
True Blood
Jun 15, 2013
Pruszkow, Poland
RE: Borgnine's log with zombies and Blood Knights WIP

And here's the next part. And as you can see here - I made them a little to gaudy and flashy and they totally don't fit in a unit :rolleyes: they barely fit on the tray...

But here they are:

IhAi7lo.jpg

vf2oToj.jpg

6CIMgyp.jpg

I know that using chaos knights and steed for vampire conversions are somehow unpopular here, but I find them pretty nice. In my opinion they actually correspond well with the fact that BKs are crazy, frienzied warriors. Paint them red and here they are ;] Well, after some conversions...

Comments and critique are welcome!

Last edited:

Theerteen

Cheerful Cranium
True Blood
Aug 20, 2012
Germany
RE: Borgnine's log with zombies and Completed Blood Knights!

No no, this is just right, I got an unit of them hiding around here somewhere, and now that you did the preview work for me, I can be sure they will become a great BK unit! Thanks for the work mate :thumbsup: ANd yeah, they look brutal and asskicking, very very hot stuff :cool:

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

Quick Navigation

User Menu