• Roll-up! Roll-up! Come one and all the fantastic Turning the World to Darkness painting competition. Welcome to any skill level, you can find out more here.
  • It's time once again to ferret out those murderous vampires in a new VAU - Vampires Amongst Us. A cross between Cluedo and a roleplay, sometimes gory and often hilarious! Find out more here.

Borgnine's Log: Putrid Blightknights - small conversions

Borgnine

Staff member
True Blood
@Unas the slayer Thanks! It also reminds me of the old times when you had to take those death stars to be competitive!

@Menkeroth Thank you too! It is quite a lot, but thankfully I have the technique perfected and they are all the same! A tedious, but very simple production line. Zombies were much worse! ;)

@Sharkbelly The freehands was indeed the most difficult part, I couldn't get myself to do it weeks! Thanks too!

@Farmer7574 Please go and borrow as much as you'd like ;) Using Grimghasts instead of Cairn Wraiths lets you avoid the clone problem, but then you have to rank them up and keep them upright! As you don't use trays, you'd have to weigh their bases somehow to make them stand. Besides magnets, I glued a lot of lead pieces underneath the bases, so they can stand even without that magnet - but they still trip if someone as much as looks at them too hard! You'll have to weigh your options ;)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yet another living addition to my collection - a vampire hunter! I always liked this model, but only recently I realized that it could get discontinued by GW at some point - so I decided to order him from the webstore at the earliest occasion. He will complement my undead very nicely.

Painting him was interesting to me because of two things. First one, I painted him from start to finish in a single day - something which I didn't do for a long time. Nowadays I work on several projects at once and they are all spread out over several/many evenings, but for this guy I wanted to try being more focused - thankfully I had a free day to do such experiments! Second thing, I tried out some new techniques - like wetblending the basecoat, making later shading and highlighting much easier - or painting 'fake' scratches on the leather instead of leaving it as smooth as the sculpt itself.

I inteded him to be from the Ostland province of the Empire - and while he indeed has some black and white clothes under his cloak, they are kinda lost on the finished piece and way too similar to each other - something which I noticed especially well on the photos. I will have to work on those two colors some more in the future.

Some backstory:
After Sir Baranowski’s escape, Kislev authorities finally learned that all the undead in Varsavia weren’t just rumours. But before any organized action could be made against them, the boyars wanted to collect information. They already had informants there, but recent events proved them to be ineffective. To remedy that, a vampire hunter from the Empire province of Ostland was brought. He was to gather information about the undead, look for ways to divide them and make their un-lives in Varsavia difficult - mostly by dismissing false myths about Vampires and informing the locals about real ways of fighting this menace. While extremely competent, only time will tell if his extremely dry and serious conduct (as expected of an Empire citizen) won’t discourage the locals and make him just another weird outlander spewing ‘western nonsense’.

proxy.php?image=https%3A%2F%2F3.bp.blogspot.com%2F-gkpDl8pX5Q8%2FW-8vARwv9mI%2FAAAAAAAACIM%2FDnyUDB3dO1Q4R980yUPv8xf5HTQGexcbQCLcBGAs%2Fs1600%2Fjoachimmesser_small.jpg&hash=ca3bc52a2f728ea966d3b1820855a8d0

Farmer7574

Vampire Count
True Blood
Hah! Love the pun. I've had these issues before, my skelly spears standard bearer comes to mind - lots of metal stuck to the underside of his base. I've got the Harvester from Sepulchral Guard in the works as a wraith conversion, but other than that it would've just been cairn wraiths. Expensive and, as you mentioned, clone issues.

Great job on the vampire hunter - definitely wouldn't have expected to see one of these here. The wear & tear on his clothing is particularly stunning!

Borgnine

Staff member
True Blood
@Farmer7574 Now that you mention it, that Harvester would indeed make for an awesome wraith! But again, he's a single dude... Thanks for the comment too, the cloak took the most time easily and I am also pretty happy with it :)

--------------------------------------------

Back to the zombies! I am not posting this next batch because I don't have anything else to post, but rather that I want to be done with them at last!

The whole idea about those guys started with the one holding a scroll here. He was supposed to be a champion of one of the units and I was trying to come up with an idea to make him more interesting. Putting up a pointy hood with bleeding eyes seemed good enough. Then, when I was expanding the horde and I needed even more bodies, I started covering their heads with such hoods to keep the theme. It was especially useful on some bretonnian bodies, as those robes and coats are more difficult to damage and zombify than Free Company bodies, for example. Then I came up with a backstory for them, how they were blindly hunting undead, heretics and witches, not really bothering with trials. Not only it gave my horde some asshole victims but it also made one of them perfect to accompany the Pain Tree.

The tree idea came to me when I noticed that I have those cages from the Giant kit and I was wondering what to do with them - and then I decided to just hang them on a single tree, also using one of those hanged zombie torsos really as a hanged zombie torso. The twins, on the other hand, were an interesting way to use two extremely similar Flagellant bodies and two multi-ended whips I bought some time ago.

After finishing the horde I kinda regretted that I didn't get that Frostgrave Cultists box to really make a lot of them. Maybe I'll build and paint them as living humans - they would make good villains for my vampires.

Some backstory:
When von Greifens still lived in Bretonnia, white hooded cultists with red emblems were their common enemy. The local nobles, not wanting to engage personally in the vampire-hunt, founded a group called ‘The Order of the Lady’s Tears’. It was composed mostly of younger peasants - desperate ones who couldn’t hope to inherit the land. In exchange for every found and/or executed vampire, undead, witch, etc. they were recompensated with money. They still had to pay all the taxes and undead weren’t as easy to be found, so they soon started hunting just about anyone disagreeing with them, forcing confessions, burning people - all to get their enterprise going forward. Vampire activity actually waned because of their hunts, so the nobles didn’t care about a few burned peasants. After moving to Varsavia, von Greifens were happy to run away from those thugs, but they were coming after them still with every small Bretonnian crusade that found itself in the land. They make zombies just as good as anyone else.

proxy.php?image=https%3A%2F%2F2.bp.blogspot.com%2F--Eh6NFbJcDk%2FWydt-oeA5II%2FAAAAAAAAB8c%2F8wKOtnw6SRsKD8jrWkN3J7v7xJE-OTGZgCLcBGAs%2Fs1600%2Fzombiecultists_small.jpg&hash=70454aef0fcbf6d02bd213ce0c8a8ef7

Farmer7574

Vampire Count
True Blood
@Borgnine Those are awesome once again! I love how your zombie horde is composed of all these cool sub units: beasts, cultists, etc. Very creative and inspiring.

Borgnine

Staff member
True Blood
@Farmer7574 Big thanks! Keeping some diversity was the only way to stay sane when building all of them xD

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Today, something only kinda-undead.

Not long time ago I wasn't feeling like painting, but I really wanted to build something. I looked a bit through all my boxes and found some Putrid Blightknights. I bought them about 2 years ago to accompany my other Nurgle model - Haralamb Gudvanger. They have lots of bits and are big and bulky, everything that I wanted at the moment.

My concept for them was to make them similar to Gudvanger - they are supposed to be failed replacement bodies for him. To achieve that, every single one of them has a covered face and some kind of horns. Any Nurgle iconography was scratched off - though I left any fleshy disturbances, they fit very well both the concept for them and the 'The Thing' motif I am trying to push with this faction. I got another Johann from the Giant kit, so that the central one here could hold him by the neck, screaming and handless. Their bases have also some depressed areas to put some grimy puddles there, another thing to tie them together with the flesh-stitcher. There are 6 of them instead of the usual 5, because I wanted to have a 3x2 block of them - I bought one additional torso to round up their numbers.

I heard many good things about this box and I wasn't dissapointed - it was a lot of fun to work on them. Every single one is distinct and interesting, there are no guys who are only there to take space and I could build probably another 6 of them. I had similar feelings when I was working on my undead ogres. I think I will get another box of those to build players for a Nurgle Blood Bowl team!

proxy.php?image=https%3A%2F%2F1.bp.blogspot.com%2F-bIOtle0MTiI%2FW9X4DaV8AOI%2FAAAAAAAACHE%2FGJcuy9JFsEM_iiitZj1dRKeQ91b844IbgCLcBGAs%2Fs1600%2Fputridswip_small.jpg&hash=15826d3eda767d49d127c5743dab65bc