• Roll-up! Roll-up! Come one and all the fantastic Turning the World to Darkness painting competition. Welcome to any skill level, you can find out more here.
  • It's time once again to ferret out those murderous vampires in a new VAU - Vampires Amongst Us. A cross between Cluedo and a roleplay, sometimes gory and often hilarious! Find out more here.

Borgnine's Log: Three converted necromancers

Farmer7574

Vampire Count
True Blood
@Borgnine Cheers man, nice tips about the chaos warriors - I'll have to play around with those ideas when the time comes.

Really nice conversions once again - I'm having a hard time choosing a favourite as they're all brilliant in their own way. Love the idea of converting each according to their upgrade too, it's worked really well and created a one-of-a-kind team. :thumbsup:

Borgnine

Staff member
True Blood
@Farmer7574 thanks man! Glad you like them, Chaos and mutations make such conversions really easy and characteful!

---------------------------------------

Now, back to some undead!

Finally, I managed to paint my rather unpractical unit of Cairn Wraiths, made out of converted Grimghast Reapers. I built them like this because I always wanted a unit of them, but I couldn't find the right models - and those wraiths were a perfect converting opportunity for that. They required very careful positioning, basing, additional weight underneath and can stand in only one configuration - but they do work! Good to see that it was possible to squeeze an AoS unit into such a tight WFB formation.

Unfortunately, the converting process wasn't the hard part, painting all the ghostly bits was. Maybe it was just me, but I really struggled to cover it all without missing anything in a reasonable amount of time. I guess the new Nighthaunt aren't really for me! Still, I am quite happy with how they turned out and must admit that it was all worth it! Also, I finally found a good model to try out verdigris and etheral effects at the same time - something that people have been suggesting to me for a long time. Now I have to consider making more minis like this.

Wanting to represent the 'Chill Grasp' rule from the 8th Edition WFB I also painted some frost on their scythe handles, just like I did years ago on my first Cairn Wraith.

The whole conversion process and problems related to it are shown in the WIP post HERE.

The background story:
In the ages past, when Daremnych was waging a difficult war with another ancient tribe, he came to the village of Siekerno, asking for help. He wanted to ask their well-known and fearsome axemen warriors to sneak through the forest and attack his enemy’s flank during an upcoming battle. The men agreed, but when the time came, they didn't intervene, favoring the chances of the Great Priest’s opponents. Unfortunately for them, Daremnych prevailed through the bloody battle even without them - and came to confront the warriors after that. Already knowing his methods, the axemen of Siekierno fell to their knees, asking for another chance, willing to help and serve. The Priest gave them exactly that - killed them all and bound their spirits to his will, telling them that he will call upon them in the future - only then the axemen will get their second chance and opportunity to serve. Then he captured all the remaining villagers, divided them into small groups and forcibly integrated them into various tribes he had under his command. Now Daremnych, needing an edge against his vampire enemies, came to the forgotten ruins of Siekerno and called the axemen back - to finally serve him as they wanted so many years ago.

First, the whole tightly packed unit of wraiths:

proxy.php?image=https%3A%2F%2F1.bp.blogspot.com%2F-8KT96-x-kKA%2FXITa41YptvI%2FAAAAAAAACZY%2Fw43GeRoQcZoRUeXNHjVHD_TIPliCnZ0zACLcBGAs%2Fs1600%2Fsiekiernogroup_small.jpg&hash=6788b060b2b4be698a866061a6b90dbf

And all of them separated:

proxy.php?image=https%3A%2F%2F4.bp.blogspot.com%2F-V29EWa1s39c%2FXITa4__EM-I%2FAAAAAAAACZc%2Fh_I-9leW8jEABcw7Kk2Y5znokbjmgMyaQCLcBGAs%2Fs1600%2Fsiekiernosingles_small.jpg&hash=c1f4fe4ff68baae7c48becb04f1bb268

Farmer7574

Vampire Count
True Blood
Those wraiths are great - I love the cold palette that builds up to a concentration of warm colours at the centre of the minis where you're looking to draw viewers' attention. Excellent work as always - a nice vibrant unit of wraiths :thumbsup:

Borgnine

Staff member
True Blood
@brr-icy thanks! I'm glad you appreciate it ;)

@Farmer7574 Thanks too! I was just following my already estabilished color schemes, so this effect of cold and warm was quite accidental - well spotted on your part and good luck on my part xD

@Saikological @Shadespyre Cheers! :)

------------------------------------------------------------------

Even more undead, three odd necromancers today :)

For the last few months/years I have been slowly collecting miniatures to be used as additional necromances - because you can never have too many of them - and now I finally got around to finish converting/preparing them all and maybe actually get them painted. Seeing that I already have some standard Necromancers (and Liches), with those I decided to make them a little special, with some additional theme than just 'an evil old guy'.

The first one shown here is Alarich Schwering, the most converted one, one that studied Lore of the Beasts besides his standard necromancy. I envision him in my background stories as a crazy, wild survivalist and to give him an appropriate look I made him a sabretusk pelt - out of Ogre Ironblaster bits and some greenstuff.

proxy.php?image=https%3A%2F%2F3.bp.blogspot.com%2F-Ee9ScqMIPsc%2FXIWDs7A_L0I%2FAAAAAAAACas%2FwWQMgNi7y5Q6kNy_QuuRVmmhs3mAYtuvgCLcBGAs%2Fs1600%2Falarichwip_small.jpg&hash=8db3f958bd90b72b7287520e6b6c8bca

As for the second one, Matthias Schwarzfeuer, I got inspired by THIS miniature to make him really fancy, rich and extravagant - a necromancer that wants to break with the 'dusty old man' stereotype. It's mostly about painting, so not very much of that idea is visible now but I could still give him a fancy Empire hat and some additional gems.

proxy.php?image=https%3A%2F%2F4.bp.blogspot.com%2F-cQE7HRia5IM%2FXIWDs7k4NhI%2FAAAAAAAACak%2FGGqBv3lTA4kS_zoW2Nv6lGxytE451wNPQCLcBGAs%2Fs1600%2Fmatthiaswip_small.jpg&hash=196ec7aea3725833c666e030c0cede8e

And the last one, Ignatyi Ognemet, the least converted but also the one that started the whole idea of 'odd necromancers' in my mind. Long time ago, when I was reading 9th Age rules, I saw that they allowed necromancers to take Lore of Fire, which instantly gave me the image of a crazed bright wizard, only using green flames. I liked the idea enough to buy a box of Empire Wizards and build such a guy - he uses a flagellant head and some long hair to make him look more dishevelled.

After that, I decided to add some theme to the two metal necromancers that were waiting in my drawer - which you can see above. Much later I saw that 9th Age got rid of the old WFB lores altogether, so even if I would play that system, he won't make much sense. No worries though, all three odd necromancers should be interesting to paint and that's all that matters.

proxy.php?image=https%3A%2F%2F2.bp.blogspot.com%2F-aKlPsKXUAgA%2FXIWDs8O4SjI%2FAAAAAAAACao%2FCSVWxXQiDsUt04UYsQuQrxUApenDhECKgCLcBGAs%2Fs1600%2Fignatyiwip_small.jpg&hash=4763ac4665df5614c8d135ff2ad75f77