• It's time once again to ferret out those murderous vampires in a new VAU - Vampires Amongst Us. A cross between Cluedo and a roleplay, sometimes gory and often hilarious! Find out more and sign-up! here.

Theerteen

Cheerful Cranium
True Blood
Aug 20, 2012
Germany
RE: Borgnine's Log: Naked Butts Edition!

It makes me wonder if anyone had the nuts to give ghouls, Vargheists, 'gulfs, and everything else with exposed butts the all-natural way...I mean, would something beastly and undead take the time or effort to use good old toilet paper? xD
Ok, something less shittier now...gnihihihihi...xD

DUDE! I instantly fell in love with the Vargheists - The colour, and all the more the wings...:| No way I'm not gonna copy that! Outstanding! A great choice of colour on the whole minis, and as always, executions have no rivals. It makes me wanna do 3 in this way, and three in "classical" white/ceramic. Boy, you're so damn right at VC! ;) And I peeked at your deviantart stuff...It's like you do everything better than me. If I would not like you, I'd be friggin jealous! :tongue:xD

Thanks for the credit of course! If my ideas make their ways in other peoples plogs, what more compliment can I imagine :cheers:

robtion

Vampire Thrall
Aug 23, 2011
Australia

Really great vargheists, especially the Vargoyle! I love the conversion and the colour scheme/painting is top notch. Like others have said, some of the best I have seen anywhere :thumbsup:

I also use a mix of mantic zombies and ghouls with GW ghoul heads, it looks really good. Guess great minds think alike right theerteen ;)

Borgnine

Master Necromancer
True Blood
Jun 15, 2013
Pruszkow, Poland

I'm happy that vargheists recieved such praise and that you enjoy them - I like how they turned out, but I didn't expect such feedback ;)

@Raven Torrid - big thanks for the rep! I really appreciate that :)

@Theerteen - and I'll also be happy when my paint scheme will find its way into your plog ;) And about the 'other' topic ;) - I think that vampires don't poop and as do vargheists, but ghouls probably do - and I've seen at least one example of showing it on the mini :rolleyes:

@robtion - yeah, you can really get some nice effects of mixing gw and mantic ;]

Big thanks to you all for comments.

And now a little WIP.

First, a Cairn Wraith - GW one with a little of greenstuff - I wanted to at least a bit of conversion to make it look a little more slavic and a braid with some hair seemed like a good idea - we'll see how it'll turn out in the end xD

yUHpOBp.jpg

Next - some work on hexwraiths - I am going with Vectra's idea of them on marauder steeds. I only intent to paint their manes and hair also as flaming and do some crazy converting on the hellwraith. I also mounted them on pieces of bark to make them seem 'levitate' a bit. Great models those marauder horses are BTW! One of them is painted because I bought them off someone ;P

fvFqLiV.jpg

And my Crypt Horrors - I am using ogres - it's kinda popular. I am going the 'frankenstein monster' path, with stitches and lot's of found and available body parts and weapons grafted onto them - here's the first steps on the three of them. Lots of work still to do!

Z3kchcp.jpg

Each ogre was designed beforehand and each of them has a numbered box with all the parts needed in it. Now I must only assemble and do crazy amounts on greenstuffing on them xD

wlNK0dO.jpg

And that's it for now. I'll try to finish the wraith first and them move on to the 'hardware mode'.

robtion

Vampire Thrall
Aug 23, 2011
Australia
RE: Borgnine's Log: Some small WIPs

The hair on the wraith looks so cool, really adds to the figure and makes it unique. Great idea :thumbsup:

Blutsauger

Vampire Count
Apr 10, 2013

Great work all around! I love the Vargheists, the conversion on his jaw is simple and really effective, and I think their skin tones look great. I particularly like the mottling on their wings! I also really like the addition of the hair to the wraith!

Borgnine

Master Necromancer
True Blood
Jun 15, 2013
Pruszkow, Poland

Thanks for the kind comments! :)

Another update!

The cairn wraith first! Present from my brother for christmas - I was kinda moved that he actually went to a hobbystore and looked for something fitting to my army :) As for the model and painting - I am really angry with Army Painter Anti Shine Varnish... Sometimes it gives me grainy mess and sometimes the mini is still shiny - as with the wraith. The highlights are getting lost in the shine and it looks worse than it should... :frown:
Also, the painting scheme - I wanted her to be part ghostly, part real, and while I'm happy with the cold effects, but the robe lacks something in my opinion.... But nevertheless, it's finished and it's still fine ;]

Backstory for her:
A spirit of a witch who plagued the Kislevite countryside hundreds of years ago. As a young woman she lured and killed naive village boys with her charms, later she would stalk the wheat fields during the reaping seasons to kill people with her scythe. Using ice magic empowered by blood sacrifices, she kept the superstitious peasants at bay for very long. At some point, the governor of the land got bothered enough to organize a witch hunt, capture her and kill in a public execution. The amount of hate she gathered against her along the years and her own guilty conscience made her unable to go properly into the afterlife. Thus, it was easy for Constantin to bind her to his service - even as an immaterial apparition, she retained skill with a scythe and her ice magics still work in the form of deadly cold touch.

8Twj7HN.jpg

Also - I finished the scary guy filler I posted earlier. It wasn't hard job, I just couldn't get to it :rolleyes: I made him only so Vlad could fit in a unit - his sword, especially after some relocation was bumping out guys behind him... Scary guy, or straszniak is supposed to represent some kind of blood magic demon, red washes and some gloss varnish and it's done! xD

ReUlAYd.jpg

And a little WIP - I was still working on the ogres. More of them are done - only one guy needs to be cleaned and glued with the most important part and the greenstuffing can begin!

fz2nPeK.jpg

Extremely fun models to work with :thumbsup:

And now I go back to ogreing and working on my masters diplomma..

Last edited:

Theerteen

Cheerful Cranium
True Blood
Aug 20, 2012
Germany
RE: Borgnine's Log: Cairn Wraith and Scary Guy

*sigh* when I see your wraith, I really feel the urge to repaint my scythes..This icy grip effect is damn sweet! Very fitting and awesome! I'm doing 3 CH ogres myself, got them and 2 chaosspawns from a friend for 10€ :P And they are REALLY cool in battle...So, more. MOOOAAAAR!

I really wanna see yours finished!:thumbsup:

robtion

Vampire Thrall
Aug 23, 2011
Australia

Great looking wraith, he turned our really well :thumbsup: I really like the part ethereal look.

Borgnine

Master Necromancer
True Blood
Jun 15, 2013
Pruszkow, Poland

Thanks for the comments guys! I guess I am more critical towards her than you ;)

BTW, the tomb ogres are coming up nicely. The amount of greenstuffing is crazy! The conversions should be ready in a few days, hopefully :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Rigor Mortis

Ghoul
Aug 24, 2013
Sweden

Love the ice'y grip painting. I will try to steal that from ya when i get around to paint one. :) and to end it i follow in theertheen's wake. MORE plz.

Borgnine

Master Necromancer
True Blood
Jun 15, 2013
Pruszkow, Poland

@Rigor Mortis - by all means steal it! :)

And here it is - MOAR, as demanded.

After a weeks worth of evenings, I managed to finish all the conversions for my zombie ogres / ogre horrors / crypt ogres / frankenstein things xD It was a great deal of fun - not only designing them and sculpting, but also working with the models - ogres are great models! So convertable!

As I said before - I did them as a kinda-frankenstein-monsters - stitched together with several ogre coprses and them some additions that the fleshcrafter was able to find at the moment - so I have these two guys at the end themed after chaos and dark elves ;) I'll write more about them when I paint them, adding some fluff about them and their creator.

And now, the pictures!

RW2Av7D.jpg

gzOba8h.jpg

4LwFYiu.jpg

jpIEQlz.jpg

And now that I am in a convertin' and greenstuffin' mood, I'll finish my first hexwraith champion and sculpt the banner for the vampire BSB. After that - it's ogre time again!

robtion

Vampire Thrall
Aug 23, 2011
Australia
RE: Borgnine's Log: Finished Zombie Ogres Conversions

:| Wow! That is some top notch converting. Best looking undead ogres I have ever laid eyes on, and that is saying something as there are plenty around.

My favourite is the first one with all the ghoul heads but they are all really creative.

It really comes through that you enjoyed working on them, they are just great. Okay, enough gushing, can't wait to see them painted. :thumbsup:

Olethros70

Grave Guard
Apr 3, 2014

Love them. You have to paint them asap and show the results here. Can´t wait!!!

Kutslo

Skeleton
Aug 14, 2013

Those zombie ogres look amazing! Can't wait to see them painted :thumbsup:

Borgnine

Master Necromancer
True Blood
Jun 15, 2013
Pruszkow, Poland

Such comments, wow!

@Theerteen - I am flattered, by I must refuse ;) I hope you'll understand.
@Robtion - Big thanks for such big praise! While I like them all almost equally, the 'head horror' impressed even myself how he turned out and it was quite the effect when I was sculpting him and winamp decided to shuffle me some really creepy pieces :ghost:
@Olethros70, Adam_Barrow, Kutslo - also big thanks, that's quite a motivation! I'll get to them as soon as I can - I am waiting for a primer, it should be delivered tommorow - and then I'll start them.

In the last few days Age of Empires II managed to steal some time from me :rolleyes: but I had my share and I am back to painting and converting. In the meantime I managed to finish my Hellwraith conversion.

I promised slavic themes and at last there is something really slavic! Pictured below, on the right is the Red Rider - a character from a russian folk tale 'Vasilisa the Beautiful' on a painting by Ivan Bilibin - he's done some awesome pieces on slavic folk tradition. When I was thinking about my hexies I immediately thought about this painting! Some little converting and the fact that I am using marauder horses were perfect for this! The only change is that my Hellwraith will be the Green Rider, with green flames and everything xD

Also - yes, I will reposition the shield a bit, it isn't glued yet ;)

Y2DZZHY.jpg

I wanted to show my skeleton griffon relief on a shield I did for my BSB, but my camera disagreed with that idea - I will have to buy some batteries...

And as I said - as soon as my primer is here I'll start working on the ogres - I also want to see them finished :) Well, with a little break for easter ;)

Reactions: The Sun King

Blutsauger

Vampire Count
Apr 10, 2013
RE: Borgnine's Log: Hellwraith / Green Rider conversion

Brilliant conversion, can't wait to see some paint on these guys!

Borgnine

Master Necromancer
True Blood
Jun 15, 2013
Pruszkow, Poland
RE: Borgnine's Log: Hellwraith / Green Rider conversion

Long time, no post! Real life is an absorbing thing.

@Blutsauger - thanks! It's coming soon!

I am currently working on my ogres, but as dire wolves were using their color for skin and gore, I sat and did them also - and they were finished earlier - well, they are muuuch easier than those ogres. I'm still struggling with the right skin tone :frown:

As for the wolves, they truly were scavengers... I glued and based them months ago when I was experimenting with them on a battlefield. Then when I was doing my ghouls I noticed that I mixed too much paint for bone - so come here wolves, I'll paint the bones! Then I added the base colour for the manes and yesterday I actually painted their skin when I (kinda) got my 'zombie skin' mix and then added some gore - I really like pink with Chestnut Ink combination for the blood and gore :vampire3: The rest was just tiny details. Long time since I assembled them, but there wasn't much actual work ;) Well, besides maybe filling the gaps, that was a lot of work xD

Fluff texts for them:
Sorin always appreciated how well prepared for their roles were the nature's beasts. From tiny spiders to giant mammoths, animals fascinated the Manhunter. So it's no surprise that he's especially fond of raising wolves from the ground, their unmarked graves dotting the Varsavian meadows and forests. Vilks, for he used a local word for them, helped him many times when hunting down an especially elusive prey. Very often he takes a wolf form himself, leading the ravenous zombies as a grotesque pack. He's also more than willing to let them support his brothers' battles, flanking the enemy or acting as a bloodthirsty vanguard. While they are easily killed once again by real warriors, there is usually a plenty of another appropriate beasts in the ground to replace the losses.

Ok, the pics. First the overall look on all 12

2OKVnVS.jpg

And then some closeups on two of them.

H5eqSLE.jpg

In the other things - I started playing with a Chaos Warriors guy and also chronicling it here on CN - you can read about my last unlucky fight HERE ;) Also because of that I started assembling my Terrorgheist - if only my magnets would ship faster! :frown: I need a screamer to crack those damnable skullcrushers and nurglite warriors!

OzvmHHC.jpg

Regarding my ogres! They are closer to completion than ever ;) I need to meddle a bit with their skin tone, add some glazes for variation and interest, paint the details and then splosh some parts in blood - I think I should finish them by this weekend. We'll see how it will turn out.

Even further things - I think I'll need to make those alkonost conversions for my fell bats and maybe start fiddling a bit with the dragon.

Last edited:

robtion

Vampire Thrall
Aug 23, 2011
Australia
RE: Borgnine's Log: Dire Wolves

Great looking wolves, love the colours :thumbsup:

Excited to hear your horrors are getting there, I am sure they will be worth the time and effort :happy:

What are you planning for your dragon, the standard model or something custom?

Borgnine

Master Necromancer
True Blood
Jun 15, 2013
Pruszkow, Poland

@Olethros70 - thanks!

@robtion - also thanks, they look a little 'wetter' in person, it's a shame not everything translates into a photo ;) And I also hope that my effort will pay off, large portions of skin are proving to be harder to paint than I thought - but maybe I'll manage to cover things here and there with some dirt and grime ;)

As for the dragon - I find the standard ZD too similiar to the Terrorgheist, so I will use it some day as a second screamer - for the real dragon I bought some time ago a dark elven black dragon and I plan to zombify it - and to make things more difficult, make him three-headed and perhaps scratchbuild the rider :happy: slavic type of dragon, the Zmey, was portrayed with three heads and I am going for something like that - lotsa lotsa work, I don't expect to finish him anytime soon, but maybe I'll manage to create something that will serve for a proxy on a battlefield ;)

robtion

Vampire Thrall
Aug 23, 2011
Australia

I agree, the ZD and TG are too similar for me too.

Sounds great. The Zmey looks a bit like a hydra with less heads from what I have seen. I have an old chaos dragon somewhere in bits, think it only had 2 heads though.

Borgnine

Master Necromancer
True Blood
Jun 15, 2013
Pruszkow, Poland

Okay, a big post incoooming!

I finally managed to finish my ogres and during the weekend as I promised! Yay! And I also spend half a day making photos of them, fighting with my camera and editing them to get them posted on the net. Boo!

Unpainted WIPs are HERE

Zombie Ogres, Crypt Horros, abominations of Haralamb Gudvanger!

Some fluff text:
Being capable at stitching corpses into larger entities, the monstrous Flesh-stitcher Haralamb Gudvanger is almost never satisfied with mundane zombies. Instead he binds them together into much larger monstrosities, being especially fond of thick and large Ogre bodies. After letting other minions kill the unfortunates, he drags the bodies into his underground workshops and then combines them with whatever he can find in his morbid storerooms, man-made or not. The resulting monsters are extremely difficult to kill, already forgotten the meaning of pain or self-persevarance. Their weapons and bodies drip with poisonous reagents used by Gudvanger to keep the rot away - even a small bruise inflicted by them can mean death to a living being. They serve as the main force of the Flesh-Stitcher bands and as the 'mercenaries' von Greifens pay dear prices for.

sr9wE3p.jpg

In my opinion they look much better than common Crypt Horrors, more bulky and I can use those more slender bodies for Vargheists. I fluff them as a work of Haralamb Gudvanger - a necromancer experimenting with the dead in a similiar fashion to how Clan Moulder experiment with the living. He has packs of ghouls and Strigoi siblings on his command and he gathers all the interesting parts from the battlefields and creates beings like this - and is especially fond of ogres and how well they fit their tasks. After meeting Sorin von Greifen he agreed on some kind of teamwork, adding muscle to the vampires' armies and getting some even more body parts and informations from around the world.

First, the whole unit of 8, and later closeups and individual info about them.

fMjG95s.jpg

And now the team.

First one, The Butcher, bearing a blackened hand on his gutplate, a symbol of Haralamb Gudvanger.
Used as a Crypt Hanter here - 4 attacks anyone xD Also one of my first ideas for a zombie ogre - his mask was different in a early draft - more pointy - but he looks better this way ;) Liquid greenstuff was used to get the texture on the blades - it's doesn't work with things it's advertised, but at making rough textures it's awesome!

mOLeQZG.jpg

Second, The Face Horror, bulbous creature, filled with poisons, it's faces crying, howling in despair and hunger as it slumbers forward to the enemy.
I don't really know how I came to this idea, but I did and it was a great idea - it was disturbing to see put all the heads into the greenstuff, it was disturbing to paint them and it is disturbing to look at him now - especially the eyes ;)

VckUW9v.jpg

Third one, The Big Eater. A 'standard bearer' of sorts. In a grotesque sense of humour, having found an ogre with his lower jaw displaced, he build 'it' to still feel enormous hunger that can never me truly sated - making it to messily crush and devour anything unlucky to be caught between its' few upper teeth and a new, strong tounge. And it can't even hold it's food - it will regurgitate half-digested remains and then look for more...
A reason why my CC is with a whip and not with this spear ;) At first he was supposed to have just a long mouth, but after seeing my brother play Prince of Persia and seeing THIS I knew I had to make it without it's jaw. I call him also 'Klompa' after that boss.

Kg27ulQ.jpg

Fourth one, The Battle Damage ;) Impaled with a spear, an arrow, with a hole torn in his gutplate, this one particual ogre wenth through some wounds - one can only guess if his creator just left whatever caused this ogre's death or it's something more recent, something whoch haven't managed to put stop to the creature's existence.

Awpam8b.jpg

Fifth one, The Frankenstein or Kratos ;) At first he was supposed to just have some Frankenstein elements - later I insisted on giving him real ogre hands with real ogre weapons as this is scarce in the unit xD Later I added a chain - and with this, and a goatee, he started to look a bit like Kratos so I added some blood splotches here and there ;)

sUgZ4Nr.jpg

Sixth one, The Obligatory Hole in Belly ;) I didn't have much idea how to make this one interesting and stand out so I did what seemed obvious - use the existing hole and sculpt some guts xD It came out pretty cool in my opinion ;)

0z4QWG8.jpg

Seventh one, The Chained Chaos. I had some bits after marauders so why not have an ogre zombie with a chaos theme? Maybe Gudvanger had a surplus after some battle with chaos? Marauder shields make cool gutplates and the chains from flails are awesome bits with many, many uses.

8TtK7My.jpg

And the last, eight one, The Dark Elfer. I once bought dark elven bits - they were cheap, so why not? xD They were perfect for this job - a chestplate as a pauldron, lances for weapons [supporting attacks!], a little banner made with another lance/harpoon and a single Cold One head that wouldn't fit better anywhere else in an undead army :) Also, a dremel'd face proved to be a succesful experiment.

c7m0yZo.jpg

-------------------

And that's all for now, folks. Now I need a little rest after all this photographing, editing and posting....

Next project - a slavic thing! - scultping sirins and alkonosts for my Fell Bats ;)

Last edited:

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

Quick Navigation

User Menu