• Roll-up! Roll-up! Come one and all the fantastic Turning the World to Darkness painting competition. Welcome to any skill level, you can find out more here.
  • It's time once again to ferret out those murderous vampires in a new VAU - Vampires Amongst Us. A cross between Cluedo and a roleplay, sometimes gory and often hilarious! Find out more here.

Broken Realms Teclis spoilers & discussion

Malisteen

Master Necromancer
True Blood
Spoilers for Broken Realms: Teclis are starting to come in:

Gods Fall in Warhammer's 'Broken Realms Teclis' from Games Workshop - Bell of Lost Souls

discussion to follow, this is your last spoiler warning.

Ok, so bad, but not exactly unexpected, news for fans of Nagash. I say not unexpected because, after all, the title isn't "Broken Realms: Nagash". But even beyond that, we're presently in the build up period for Age of Sigmar 3rd edition. 1st edition's narrative revolved around the arrival of the Stormcast Eternals, and with them the Realmgate Wars and the construction of the Cities of Sigmar. 2nd edition's narrative, beginning with the Legions of Nagash battletome and Malign Portents campaign building up to 2nd edition's release, was about the rise of Nagash, and with him the creation of the Shyish Nadiir, the repercussions of the Necroquake, the Soul Wars - with factions throughout the realms struggling to survive against a massive tidal wave of Nighthaunts, the elevation of two new Mortarchs, and the arrival of the Bonereapers, their Grim Tithe, their growing Necropolis Empire, and their incursion even into the 8 points, the very seat of Archaon's power, something even the poster boy Stormcast never managed to do. Other storylines have happened in and around this central, Shyish-driven narrative, but there's no denying that 2nd edition has, for all intents and purposes, been the Age of Nagash.

Now 2nd edition is winding down and the Broken Realms campaigns are setting the stage for a 3rd edition where the Slaanesh and the Elven Gods take center stage, and where the main theme is the breakdown of the former 'Grand Alliances'. In Broken Realms: Morathi we saw just how far the elven gods had drifted from Sigmar, and we saw Morathi ascend to godhood by betraying Sigmar and the Elven Gods alike, driving the nail in the coffin of what was once a grand alliance of Order. The next book after Teclis is Broken Realms: Be'Lakor, where the dark prince is set to make his play for Archaon's crown, and in the process will no doubt shatter the relative unity that Archaon's unquestion leadership have imposed on the forces of chaos in the Mortal Realms.

Nagash was always going to need to step aside for anyone else to take the spotlight, but where as the forces of Destruction never displayed any sort of internal unity, if the Death factions are going to join Order and Chaos in the themes of civil war and internal conflict then Nagash needs to be taken off the stage entirely. There are plenty of reasons for the factions of death to battle each other - Vampires are ever-scheming and selfish creatures, and we've already seen stories of the Ossiarchs imposing their Tithe of Bones on both Flesh Eater Courts and the mortal feeding stock of Soulblight aristocrats. But as long as Nagash is around and at the height of his power, none of the undead could ever truly oppose him. With Nagash at least temporarily out of their way, Neferata and Mannfred are free to battle each other for territory, or join together to save their feeding stock from the Ossiarch Tithe. Meanwhile the ghosts and ghouls can follow their own mad schemes as they will. Maybe we'll get to see more of who Olynder is and what she's about. And Katakros, Arkhan, and the Ossiarchs can continue to push Nagash's plans forward even as their master has been reduced back to a voice in the shadows. So even as an undead fan, Nagash being taken out, however temporarily, allows for a lot of potentially interesting narrative developments. If nothing else, the seemingly massive upcoming release wave for the Soulblight Gravelords promises that the undead aren't going away, and aren't going to fade from the picture entirely like they did for most of 1st edition AoS.

All that said, while I think Nagash losing - and losing hard - was inevitable and is something I can personally live with, from the spoilers we've been seeing it sounds way too one sided. A rather anti-climactic end to the Soul Wars, and a really unfortunate bit of LRL fan pandering and power escalation if the the hysh aelves, more or less on their own, with the participation of /only one/ of their twin deities, is able to lay a one sided smackdown on the entirety of grand alliance death, with Teclis taking out Nagash on his own and in the process ending the effect of the necroquake like that was something that depended on Nagash's physical form and not something permanent he had done to the structure of the Realms themselves. Maybe there's more to the events than what the article linked above implies, but as it is, yeah, kind of feels like bad, lopsided writing from a blind fanboy.

Again, the result - Nagash utterly defeated and the Soul Wars definitively ended - is something I expected and can live with. But it feels like it should have taken the participation of more than one deity, and should have cost Teclis and the realm lords considerably more dearly.

HERE i've got something more detailed (at the bottom of the article)

Teclis and the new elves that kick the undead asses of ossiarch bonereapers, Mannfred, Neferata, Arkhan and Nagash, undoing the Necroquake and restoring harmony. A cakewalk.

the Great Allegiances were not able to stop Nagash, only to keep him at bay. Then Teclis and a single faction wipe easily what was built to be a nigh unstoppable force.
It's not the final result that irks me, but the way it has been achieved, by this bad fanfiction, with Teclis that needed just a gesture to end a thing that Nagash took 6 thousands years to set (the necroquake)

It's not only bad storytelling.... it's bad storytelling that has been written without thinking to the obvious consequences.

The endless spells were a consequence of the necroquake, and even the whole nighthaunt faction was.
If the necroquake has been undone, then the energy that fueled the endless spells and the nighthaunts is gone too. But i bet that the endless spells are not going to vanish as they should, and Nighthaunts won't be squatted.
So they kinda wrote themselves into a corner here

Last edited:

Malisteen

Master Necromancer
True Blood
I agree. That said, as a Black Legion player, I've learned to make my peace with bad gw writing, or I wouldn't still be here. Gw makes models first, makes games only as an afterthought to sell those models, and makes fiction only as an afterthought's afterthought to sell those games. Bad fiction is kind of the expected default, while the rare bit of good fiction is an exception to celebrate.

So I could be bitter at br:teclis, because, while I haven't read it myself, by all accounts it does sound like a colossal poke in the eye to all undead players and a bad bit of cheap lumineth fan pandering that doesn't bode well for the quality of the core narrative in 3rd edition.

Fortunately, though, we don't have to be terribly concerned with the strength of the core narrative of 3rd edition, since we'll be playing around on the sidelines. And I do think there's some potential for the mortarchs to have some interesting conflicts with nagash out of the picture. Most of all, it's just hard not to be excited for the new gravelords range.

Fortunately, though, we don't have to be terribly concerned with the strength of the core narrative of 3rd edition, since we'll be playing around on the sidelines. And I do think there's some potential for the mortarchs to have some interesting conflicts with nagash out of the picture. Most of all, it's just hard not to be excited for the new gravelords range.
That's for sure!

Malisteen

Master Necromancer
True Blood
Here are my questions for the undead going into 3rd edition:

Will Katakros be able to hold onto the Death Gate with Nagash gone and the resources of a united Shyish no longer funneled into its reinforcement? It would seem impossible, but the opposing side also looks set to collapse into infighting with BR:Be'lakor, so we'll see.

Will Neferata finally get to shine? She so rarely does. I really want her to be the Queen of Blood that she deserves to be as the first of her kind. I want her to be as iconic for the Soulblight Gravelords what Katakros is for the Ossiarch Bonereapers. Definitely not holding my breath on this one, though.

What will Olynder do with her (presumably greatly diminished) Nighthaunt Processions? Her forces have been supporting Katakros recently, but will that still be the case without Nagash pulling her strings? Left to her own devices, what does she want, and how will she pursue it?

And, of course, what Shenanigans will Warhammer Starscream Mannfred get up to? At the moment he seems set to feud with Neferata for control of Soulblight territory. Personally though I hope he loses that struggle, and quickly, so that he can turn his attention to ruining the plans of other factions.

What will Olynder do with her (presumably greatly diminished) Nighthaunt Processions? Her forces have been supporting Katakros recently, but will that still be the case without Nagash pulling her strings? Left to her own devices, what does she want, and how will she pursue it?.
That's the thing that interests me the most, cause ATM i have left my LoN models in "dust collecting" mode and i am building a consistent nighthaunt force.

Malisteen

Master Necromancer
True Blood
There hasn't really been much sign of a new Nighthaunt battle tome or release wave, apart from the one upcoming hero model which is at least being presented as a stand alone campaign thing. That said, they really are due for a new book, both in terms of how long it's been and in terms of their rules just really needing a refresh. The model line's mostly fine (apart from the positively wretched price point on chainrasps).

The interesting thing about this BR, is that four warscroll battalion boxes are coming.
And one of them is ours!
Here's Lady Olynder and her personal guard, the Sorrowmourn Choir:

Malisteen

Master Necromancer
True Blood
Doesn't look terribly playable - The main problem with both Myrnmornes and Olynder are how tragically fragile they are for their points cost, and stacking a battalion fee on top of their normal cost isn't likely to help with that. Dreadscythes are pretty lackluster compared to their various peers - chainrasps, grimghasts, bladegheists - and while a fancy battalion rule could help with that in theory, looking at the rest of the battalion I'm pretty skeptical of it working in practice here.

As a box set, it doesn't do anything to help the main thing that makes Nighthaunt such a nightmare to collect (outside of regions with the Mortal Realms Magazine scheme anyway) - the cripplingly high price point for Chainrasps. The models look nice, at least? I could see an existing Nighthaunt player who's already gotten over the hurdle of collecting the stuff that plays halfway well picking this set up to round out their display cabinet.

But from a gameplay / army building perspective, this set is /nowhere near/ as good as the BR box for FEC. IMO it isn't even as good as the OBR box, and that one was just kind of so-so.

Malisteen

Master Necromancer
True Blood
There's a preview article up on warcom for br:belakor:

https://www.warhammer-community.com...re-getting-upgrades-in-broken-realms-belakor/

It includes some pretty promising stuff for nighthaunts. For one, Dreadscythe Harridans have their own page in the table of contents. This isn't ~confirmation~ of a new warscroll, but it does suggest that one is likely. And while I wouldn't ever advise getting ones hopes up, it does suggest the possibility that the rules for Dreadscythes may be seeing a touch up that might help them stand out more from the various other ghostly units available to the faction.

Additionally, there are rules for new Nighthaunt subfactions, including Olynder's Emerald Host, presumably replacing the Emerald Host battalion rules from White Dwarf Dec'19. That includes the battalion that gave hexwraiths a bodyguard rule, but instead apparently that rule will be baked into the subfaction by default. That's too bad for LoN players who allied in the battalion to bodyguard Nagash, Mortarchs, or Dragon Lords, and I guess for Nighthaunt players who want to run other subfactions, but for those who play Emerald Host it's a nice upgrade, since you can get your bodyguard hexwraiths without having to take two units or pay a battalion fee. This means if you want to run Olynder, the Emerald Host is ~her~ subfaction after all, you can now keep her reasonably protected for 130 to 260 points instead of near on 400.

Between that and Harridans ~maybe~ getting new, better rules, I might have to reassess my opinion of the battalion. It still wouldn't be a great box for starting or building up a nighthaunt army. I mean, even if harridans become battleline and really good, you'll still only want one olynder, and I doubt you'd want more than 8 myrnmournes either. More than 4 already seems like a lot. This wouldn't be so much of a problem if Nighthaunts didn't lack a start collecting box otherwise, And no, the malignants box does not count.

sigh... just saw a leak from the italian version of the BR.
Dreadscythe Harridans are now at 90 pts for 5 models.
They'd better improve the warscroll...

Edit.

The warscroll, indeed, has been updated

Harridans have been promoted to Greater Dust Collectors.
(Yeah, maybe they work in their battallion, but that would be a pretty niche role)

Last edited: