• Roll-up! Roll-up! Come one and all the fantastic Turning the World to Darkness painting competition. Welcome to any skill level, you can find out more here.
  • It's time once again to ferret out those murderous vampires in a new VAU - Vampires Amongst Us. A cross between Cluedo and a roleplay, sometimes gory and often hilarious! Find out more here.

BSBs- Wight King vs Vampire

Sanai

Stylish Deviant
True Blood
I used to be of the traditional school of thought that wight kings make superior bsb's- but while writing army lists, I have been having some thoughts on the matter.
Here is why I think the vampire is a better bsb-
Yes, he is more expensive, however, he is a wizard (its handy to have another wizard in a list, so you get a vampire bsb instead of a necromancer and a wight king bsb)
He is hittier than the wight king, especially once vamp powered up (once you give him the bsb, red fury, a ward save+armour and level 2, he is essentially carrying out the role of a wraiths hittyness, a wight kings bsb/toughness and a necromancers wizardry)

Thoughts?

eggsPR

Vampire Count
True Blood
I've been leaning towards Vasmp BSBs as well. Vamp powers with magic items fill the roles you mentioned.

Although I really like the WK build with dragonbane gem, fencers blades, potion of speed... 4 attacks hitting first (most likely) on 2's if in a Barrows unit with killing blow. Nasty, and CHEAP. If I use him I've been using him as a regular king, non BSB.

However if my BSB carries a magic banner I think the WK wins out slightly due to extra survivability. In that case I don't mind an extra necro as he can carry those o-so-good arcane bound items :)

Sanai

Stylish Deviant
True Blood
Without the Drakenhoff banner, I see little point in carrying a magic banner on the bsb- Many of the standards just have very little utility for their points costs- except the banner of the barrows and screaming banner, but those are best just taken on the units standard bearer.

eggsPR

Vampire Count
True Blood
Sanai said:
Without the Drakenhoff banner, I see little point in carrying a magic banner on the bsb- Many of the standards just have very little utility for their points costs- except the banner of the barrows and screaming banner, but those are best just taken on the units standard bearer.
True, my fav combo in 8th is a BSB with the razor standard in a horde of ghouls, it really helps cut through opponents's armor :thumbsup:

Azhgore

Skeleton
if u give a vampire BSB flying, can he join varghulfs? ie. give the varghulfs flaming attacks, armour piercing, re-roll charge distance, or even +1LD? all of which get re-rolls for their frenzy checks? lol would be fun.

in BRB pg97 it says that "Unless otherwise stated, a character cannot join a unit of monsters (too much danger of being stood on), a unit of flyers (too many ill-disciplined wings buffeting the sky)" etc. but i saw a thread that was talking about the possibility so i was wondering if there was ever an errata for flying characters? or can they just not do it?

EDIT: nope, looks like u cant. sadface

It's all about the razor standard in a unit of ghouls for me. I'm with ya on that one eggspr. Combine it with the staff of damnation and... You get the point.

I like the vamp BSB with no magic banner, have fear incarnate and aura dark majesty in my skellies with them havin the screaming banner

Duke Danse Macabre

The Duke
True Blood
Or if you just want to sneak a flaming banner into your army.
Either way though, +1 CR is not bad for 25 points, its esentially what we paid for the trait in our 7th edition book.
Also A WK still has an edge on vamps with BSB's on raw power on their base, not wizards but neither will they die easy, vamps are squishy in comparison.

The Dead of Night

Vampire Count
True Blood
I agree Sanai. I think there is a much bigger case for vamp bsbs with the new book. There are really good combos available for both options now. I expect to mix it up a lot more than I used to.

I have been wrestling with this as well. I felt my most viable choice for a vampire was. I think this vampire competes with a wight king and is very protected with buigle at -4 LD test.

Vampire
H armor
Barded Nightmare
BSB
Bugile
Aura of Dark majesty

banner of your choice

Johnny-Crass

Vampire Ancient
True Blood
I still think +1T and +1W really seal the deal for the wightking and he is a fair bit cheaper. Now in my mind we do not need a BSB but hey

Sanai

Stylish Deviant
True Blood
I feel that the wight king is a bit of a one trick pony- all it does is hold a flag and be slightly difficult to kill. A vampire bsb gives you a much needed wizard, good offense, holds the flag and is still reasonably durable with the right items+hunger and lore attribute.

Vampire bsb with
Fear incarnate
Aura of Dark majesty
Screaming banner
+ random gear

in a unit of grave guard with GW and banner of the barrow for 2+ to hit 2+ to wound or just another unit with WS 3 or more.

krassimir123 said:
Vampire bsb with
Fear incarnate
Aura of Dark majesty
Screaming banner
+ random gear

in a unit of grave guard with GW and banner of the barrow for 2+ to hit 2+ to wound or just another unit with WS 3 or more.
I've been thinking about fielding this one for quite some time. But he feel's so "killable" if you know what I'm getting at, T4 4+AS 6+Parry. Ofc -if- the fear kicks in he will be hard to kill in CC. But I'm a bit nervous about someone sniping him with death or dropping a big vortex on him or he leading his unit against immune to fear units.

My thinking was this guy + possible picking shadow lore for him. The lore attribute giving him a handy teleport so he can end up where he's needed the most, or to switch for a killy lord or just getting gim out of trouble. Pretty good I imagine when the battle-line is in a bit of a deadlock.

I like a Wight King BSB with a shield and the Rod of Flaming Death. It is a great item that is an enchanted item, so non-wizards can carry it. I like its ability to pin opponents down. Also. the Wight King with Fencer's Blades or the Razor Standard is good too.

rothgar13

Vampire Count
True Blood
Personally, I think the Wight King has a huge edge here, and it's all about the durability. If you're going to bring a BSB in the first place, you want him to stick around. The Wight King gets to play nice with the Banner of the Barrows (so he's better at hitting opponents at WS3 or less than a Vamp when he's in Grave Guard, and pretty much the same otherwise, unless you run into something with WS9+), and T5, 3W is vastly superior to T4, 2W. People need to remember that T4, 2W is Human and Goblin-level durability (aka not much). The Vampire can definitely be superior in terms of offensive output, but in the context of being the BSB, is that worth more than being cheaper and sturdier? I'd say no.