• It's time once again to ferret out those murderous vampires in a new VAU - Vampires Amongst Us. A cross between Cluedo and a roleplay, sometimes gory and often hilarious! Find out more and sign-up! here.

Grish

Liche
True Blood
Oct 11, 2007
Winnipeg, MB
Last Updated: March 15/2010

As requested by Sanai, this is to discuss character ideas before committing.

Finished characters MUST be placed in the Players + Characters section. This is a forum to bat around ideas.

Disciple of Nagash

Oldblood
Staff member
Feb 12, 2008
Anything...? I'd be careful of saying that to Sanai, he is one of my perverted followers after all.

I have been giving some thought to my character, and been having a bit of trouble. I want to try and RP this character as real life as possible, especially as we are basing it this world. So it seemed to me the easiest way was to RP a variation of myself for the basic character, with my likes dislikes etc, even including my family as you don't normally see that in RPs. That way I should be able to keep the character quite down to earth........well apart from his perverted nature maybe xd

Yeah that seems to me to be the best way to go. Any thoughts?

Grish

Liche
True Blood
Oct 11, 2007
Winnipeg, MB
You could easily do that. You should change the names of your children and addresses of where you live though.

You can even include the perverted nature; thats just fine in an RPG. A family introduces interesting complexities to an RPG and is not a burden at all.

Knightofni

Varghulf
True Blood
Aug 31, 2009
Basing a character on yourself is often tricky, obviously you do not want to become too attached to this character (after-all it's just a game) and if your character is too close in personality to yourself then it is quite easy to get offended when someone else attacks your character (mentally/emotionally attacks as opposed to physically).

It's safe to base it on somebody else you know and incorporate some of your own traits.. that way there is some distance between the character and yourself.

Grish

Liche
True Blood
Oct 11, 2007
Winnipeg, MB
I really hope people do not become offended if their character is attacked.

I'm treating everyone who plays as an adult. If anyone does become offended we can discuss it via PMs. If someone's obviously a jerk to other characters, Karma will have its revenge in the end. Although some characters played properly ARE jerks, these characters generally don't blend with a group and discourage interaction. It is possible though. One of the best characters I've ever seen was a grumpy old dwarf that was vicious, mean, petty and cruel. Only a strong roleplayer can pull it off though.

AsdrubaelWho

Skeleton
Jan 29, 2010
Here's what I have so far:

Quint Zdebuuki

Born in 1958 in Kenya, Africa. 5’ 4” tall. One leg several inches shorter than the other due to an accident as a child so walks with a severe limp. Does not use any walking aid as he sees his condition as fate and deals with it of his own accord. He is a thin man but long of limb for his stature. Is a Doctor of African studies at University of Toronto/King’s College in London, wherever we might be starting.

Father was an educated Chinese man who had stowed away on a South African cargo ship after having been denied a travel visa to do so several times. After arriving in South Africa he made his way to Kenya as a missionary of education to teach deprived children. His several areas of study included linguistics and he was fluent in several Western languages including English, German and French. While in Kenya, he met his wife to be from a local village, wooed her and wed her and sired 3 children, the youngest of which they named Quint.
Quint was a curious child, and when not being forced to study or do chores, roamed the surrounding area of his village with his friend. They hunted small animals, climbed trees and rocks, explored fissures, had pretend battles and all the things boys do. Though not an overly mischievous child, he did enjoy the occasional pranks on his sisters, namely surprise snakes and spiders.

Gotta run now but I'll be developing in my head, the whole time ;)

If this is to much information for this thread let me know.

Grish

Liche
True Blood
Oct 11, 2007
Winnipeg, MB
Hi! Awesome start you have there.

Being a doctorate of African history, do you personally know anything about it? If not, read the wiki entry of Kenya (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kenya). Lots of awesome hooks in there.

Consider the following; you don't need answers for any of this, but it may help flesh out your character.
Anything personal to your character that other people should not know, PM me. Views on certain things, past life, etc.

Questions you might want answers for:
1) Why did you leave Kenya? How old were you?
2) Does your family still live there?
3) Kenya is very religious; at least 98% of the population is so. The other 2% are marked as 'other'. Any religious views?
4) Kenya is named after a holy mountain; any significance to this at all?
5) Kenya was almost entirely enslaved through history. Over 90% of it's population over 100 years ago. Thoughts on Black men and slavery, being a slave in the modern world, effects, etc? Is "the man" keeping them down still? Even now in South America, various factions of white people hold the power. I think the same is true in Kenya. My history is hazy but I believe it was Dutch that initially settled, then taken over by the British? Any feelings on this?
6) Spoken languages? Swahili?
7) Born in 1952, this was the start of the Mau Mau Uprising. Kenyans fighting against British rule. This was after European farmers took land, grew coffee and tea, and paid the labourers less and less. Labourers were so poor they had to leave their villages and try to get work in the city. White people had all the power and wealth. Did you flee during this time? Do you side on the Mau Mau? Kenya became independant in 1963. Anything happen to you or your family during this time?
8) Chinese father... I have done a bit of reading on Kenya and don't see a noticeable Chinese settlement. Middle East, British, European, but no Chinese. Also, if a Chinese father, why is your name "Zdebuuki"? Thoughts? Perhaps thinking a name change would better position you to get a job teaching African history, moreso than if your last name was Li, Wong, or Chen?
9) The Maasai people, who live in parts of Tanzania and Kenya, are the tallest people in the world. Unsure how this filters through the rest of the population, but it is a native group.

Knightofni

Varghulf
True Blood
Aug 31, 2009
How much information is actually needed though really.. if we know absolutely everything about each others characters before we even start then there aren't going to be many surprises

Grish

Liche
True Blood
Oct 11, 2007
Winnipeg, MB
I am really just hoping to avoid character that are "fire mage. Has family." "spirit mage, comes from a bad background.".

I've roleplayed a very long time, and find a lot of people are fixated on the powers of a person, with a marginal focus on the actual character, what makes them tick, why they do what they do. In my experience, it makes for a much, much stronger roleplay. If you have a clear picture of your character in your head, you have a clear idea of what they'd say, what they'd do, and why.

This is food for thought, not things you have to research in depth. It will add that much more if you have some thoughts about it. Also, this should NOT be what other characters know. I am posting in this forum to give people an idea of things to think about. I do not want any characters that are put together like this:

"Warrior. Likes big weapons. Village razed by orcs, hates them. Likes to hit stuff, level up." If Diablo/Final Fantasy roleplaying is what you enjoy, this is likely not a roleplay for you.

Edit: Just like a job does not define you, yourself, or your school or your race, or gender, these are but parts in the scheme of who you are. You do not act or talk the way you do because of the job you have. You are NOT your powers. These may influence you, but who you are is certainly not going to change drastically depending on the job you have (certain exceptions apply as always). It doesn't determine who you side with, what you fight against, what you'd die for, or what you'd kill for. Need to look deeper to answer those. If AsdrubaelWho's character has the capacity to take a man's life, then I'd like to know why.

Onikaigo

Vampire Lord
True Blood
May 17, 2008
Germany
Now this is a good thread. :D Knowing my recent criticisms, this is a really, really good start to the RP. :)

The only real question I have, I just eliminated as I was typing it. :/ But just so it's out there, what level of 'Power' are we going to achieve in the game? And given so, how are we going to learn our abilities? Are we just going to wake up one day and go, "Whoa. That fire dances for me." Or something?

Anyways, basic character line is this, based on myself for some good portion of it:

-----------------
*Name to be thought of later*

Born and raised in Texas, the United States of America in a little town called Odessa. His parents divorced at an early age, leaving him in the care of a drinking mother, along with his elder brother and sister, and youngest brother. He grew up really quickly, having to learn many things on his own, and his physical growth hit him in his 'Tweens. An awkward age to reach near full physical maturity, he stood at six foot two inches, and a healthy two hundred pounds several years before anyone else.

Due to accidents when he was younger, he's developed a slow, ponderous type of motion. He thinks about where he puts his body at all times, after injuring several friends during football games or playing make believe in his younger years; this often gives him the appearance of being 'Slow' or unintelligent. Something he tries hard to disprove, as it's one of his buttons to be called stupid because he doesn't talk as fast or do his homework as fast as others did.

His jobs have been rather simple; physical labor away from most other people. A ranch hand, a butcher working in a meat packing plant, roofing in the summers, among others filled out his time and his paychecks.

After he turned 18, he joined the Armed Forces of America as a Marine, and served 6 years in a uniform traveling around the United States, and one tour of Duty in the Sandbox. Only a few months after being honorably discharged, he found himself at home with his family wearing a business suit standing around the grave of his mother; and that's when he decided that he can't stay 'Home', because Home doesn't exist anymore.

Using his military savings and his inheritance, he's been traveling for several months, working odd jobs along the way to keep his funding topped off at a comfortable level. He's found himself in X (Toronto, was it? London?) and is currently working for a construction company, doing manual labor but expecting a raise sometime in the near future.
--------------------------

And that's about it.

And @ Knightofni: This much information is just a 'Guideline', and even though players might know it, the characters they play will not. It's still just as interesting to me to roleplay a character and find out things I, as a player, already know as it is for me to find those out. OF course, some obscene, 15 page profile is kind of overdoing it, but as Grish is suggesting, if you -really- put thought into your background you know your character that much better. Thusly, you can roleplay him better.

And I had -no- idea you had a doctorate in African history, Grish. Wow, I learned something by just reading your post directed at someone else.

Grish

Liche
True Blood
Oct 11, 2007
Winnipeg, MB
Onikaigo said:
Now this is a good thread. :D Knowing my recent criticisms, this is a really, really good start to the RP. :)
i think I speak for everyone thats posted when we say thanks! Positive encouragement is always good :)
Onikaigo said:
The only real question I have, I just eliminated as I was typing it. :/ But just so it's out there, what level of 'Power' are we going to achieve in the game? And given so, how are we going to learn our abilities? Are we just going to wake up one day and go, "Whoa. That fire dances for me." Or something?
The power that you'll achieve in the game depends upon your abilities to overcome your own characters weaknesses and strive towards betterment. It makes no sense now but hopefully will. Mainly, it will depend how long we play the game. You are definitely NOT going to wake up and go "Whoa! Magic! Awesome, I'm a wizard! What Level Am I???" In fact, there are no levels in this game. Only skills, stats, abilities, and ranks within each.
Onikaigo said:
And I had -no- idea you had a doctorate in African history, Grish. Wow, I learned something by just reading your post directed at someone else.
My google-fu is quite strong being a programmer. Same with my Wikipedia-chi. Ctrl-Ctrl for the win! (If you don't know what that means, then you don't have Google Desktop installed on a windows box).

AsdrubaelWho

Skeleton
Jan 29, 2010
Grish said:
Being a doctorate of African history, do you personally know anything about it? If not, read the wiki entry of Kenya (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kenya). Lots of awesome hooks in there.

Ok, where's the giant PANIC smilie???? :|
I feel like I got caught with my hand in the cookie jar.
No worries, you said our lives were all going to change anyway, right Grish?

Actually, I know little to nothing about Kenya in particular, other than where it is on the map and they have lions there, right?
I will check out the link though because I do enjoy the research involved in my character development and you've given me a good place to start.

What I wrote in my previous post was just some basic information that I had written down and wanted to see if I was going the right direction with what I was doing, this being my first OLRPG. Is that an real acronym?

I am planning on filling in the details on how Quint eventually came to be teaching in Toronto/London.

I made the name Zdebuuki up as it has an African ring to me. Quint uses the last name of Zdebuuki as his parents felt it was safer where he was and he already stood out quite a bit. He is also proud of his heritage so has continued with the moniker.

More later.

Knightofni

Varghulf
True Blood
Aug 31, 2009
I've developed a severe dislike for 'character development'. Trying to think of something is really starting to make my brain hurt.

Grish

Liche
True Blood
Oct 11, 2007
Winnipeg, MB
AsdrubaelWho said:
Ok, where's the giant PANIC smilie???? :|
I feel like I got caught with my hand in the cookie jar.
No worries, you said our lives were all going to change anyway, right Grish?
Yes, but your reasons will still be your own! Mage or no mage, if you know someone's going after your family, or something you treasure, you will act correct?
Not trying to scare or panic anyone here, just trying to make this as good as possible. Your level of participation is up to you! However I consider it fair warning to people that the more clay I have to work with, the bigger structure I can make. If you have a varied and interesting background (whether you post publicly or PM me is up to you) then the stronger I can center a story around the characters in question. If you have nothing predetermined, then I'll use whatever hooks I think are appropriate (I'll talk to someone in private to clear with them first).

So hopefully didn't scare you there!

Grish

Liche
True Blood
Oct 11, 2007
Winnipeg, MB
PM sent knightofni. Anyone that wants to play but needs some encouragement feel free to PM me to help develop your character.

Onikaigo

Vampire Lord
True Blood
May 17, 2008
Germany
heh. I'm actually finding myself quite interested in this. :) From the two, three characters involved so far I'm definitely trying to figure out what's going to happen when the Texan meets the other people.

Cuz you know. Everythings bigger and better in Texas. :tongue:

Count Erick

Wight King
Dec 28, 2008
Cuz you know. Everythings bigger and better in Texas.
orly? Red River Shootout, 1933 ring any bells? :devil2: :tongue: ;)

Name: Andrew Roberts
Birth Date: 8/ 3/ 1991
Height: 5' 9"
Physical Characteristics: Olive skin, brown hair, brown eyes. Very thin.

History: Andrew Grew up in and around the urban environments of Tulsa, Oklahoma. An orphan, Andrew was an unruly child and always felt that something vital was missing from his urban life. Despite the fact he was intelligent, he didn't do well in school. Likewise, while he could make friends easily enough and plenty of people where attracted to him, he rarely tried to make new acquaintances and never kept a girl friend for very long. He was also given to mood swings and was known for laughing at the slightest provocation, even while being beaten in a brawl.
Suddenly, after one faithful night at a local concert, Andrew disappeared. Two of his (latest) friends where found, murdered, in an alleyway, while Andrew was no where to be discovered. In truth, Andrew dropped out of school and left his home, traveling north to Canada. Why he left, what he is running from, or what he is heading for, remains unknown.

Dreadgrass

Necromancer
Dec 20, 2009
Okay, I daresay I'll need a bit of guidance with this one, so please bear with me!

David Cunningham
Sex: Male
Hometown: Bundaberg, Queensland, Australia
Height: 5'10
weight: average
Build: average

A whimsical man, David has a reputation among his family and co-workers as being absent minded, lazy and a procrastinator. In truth he tends to have a very narrow focus, something that interests him he will hone in on and do very well with, often to the exclusion of other tasks.

In School his grades varied greatly, whatever subjects/ topics took his fancy were always well completed, where those that didn't suffered.

Since School his employment history is scattered, no job that he's qualified for has really held his interest. In the last few years he's moved to (insert location here) to try and find a place in life for himself. He currently works with a security agency, the job itself he doesn't terribly engaging but it does leave him a fair amount of time to think and reason...

David is a devout atheist and believes that everything can be explained, that there is no such thing as fate, (or magic ;)) and that chance favours the prepared mind...

Am I on the right track? not sure what to include here and what to keep to myself thus far... was aiming to lay out the "bare bones" of the character and where he comes from, and to build from there...

Not as indepth as the other characters here so far, but I can work on him...

Onikaigo

Vampire Lord
True Blood
May 17, 2008
Germany
Oi! An Australian? This is going to be a very wide nationality in characters.....The Texan (Which is a country all it's own, for those that have been there. ;) ), Kenyan, Australian....Good luck meshing us all together. :)

Grish

Liche
True Blood
Oct 11, 2007
Winnipeg, MB
Easily done! If there's one thing that meshes people together fast, it's a common enemy.

AKA GRIZZLY RAGE!!! (worst... movie... ever.)

Dreadgrass

Necromancer
Dec 20, 2009
lol I had to go an Aussie, we've gotta be represented!

Mainly did because I'm not widely traveled, sticking with what I know! lol

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

Quick Navigation

User Menu