• It's time once again to ferret out those murderous vampires in a new VAU - Vampires Amongst Us. A cross between Cluedo and a roleplay, sometimes gory and often hilarious! Find out more and sign-up! here.

Grish

Liche
True Blood
Oct 11, 2007
Winnipeg, MB
One last note on character creation:

The world you live in is darker than this one. A lot of cops are dirty, politicians are bribed and controlled (well, maybe not so different than our world). Poverty is higher, societal framework of support lower. Gangs and violence are a lot more common.

People have less hope for a better future, and are more grim. Happy go lucky is still around, but in very short supply.

So just consider that as well!

Cheers

Evanm7

Grave Guard
Nov 14, 2009
Du du du... Grish has opened my eyes to the light! I must edit my character to a crazy -not insane, weird ideas and such- scientists! I am off!
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Name: Draco Malcolm. (Latin and Scottish!)
Place of Origin: Patras, Greece, Europe.

Physical Description:
Height: 6' 3".
Weight: 140 Pounds.
Draco is very slim, with a thin stomach and straight, pale legs. His flesh is a slightly tan color, and a scar hangs from his right eye to his chin. He has dark black hair and sea blue eyes, and usually wears a white coat over a blazing red pants and shirt. He is very weak physically and avoids fights at all costs.

Background
Draco has been described as an idiot, a wanna-be, and many other derogatory things.

Needless to say, he's not. As a young boy, Draco was a child of divorced parents. Both the parents lived in the same town, in Greece. As soon as Draco went to primary school, all his teachers noticed him as someone who was scared of the rules. They noticed that Draco never acted out, had mostly high grades, and always did what his teachers told him. It was a decidedly queer thing.

At Draco's entering into fifth grade, he began to take a great interest in science. This was only brought to the fore as he took his first class of science, taking a Checking-Quiz and scoring 100. Draco asked his parents if he could go to a Science For The Young class (SFY), and they accepted and enrolled him.

Then came sixth grade. Draco was already preparing for middle school and then came the gradation. Draco ascended when his name was called...

The teacher called out a list of scholarships and money that Draco had won.
Traveling- North America.
Winner of the Forty-second science fair- 540 Euros.
Entrance into Thessaloniki Science Center and Technology College.
Draco and his family were overwhelmed. None of it was useful now, though.

From then on, Draco was a normal boy with a interest in the science. His grades were high, but that was normal by his current grade level. Gymnasia 1 passed. Then Gymnasia 2. Then Draco was flying into the Thessaloniki Science Center and Technology College.

Draco passed through the College, learning many things the Newtonian Mechanics. He got a degree in Science- the study of Physics- and Draco took great interest in the forces that act on the body.

Draco then got a job as a teacher in the same college he went to, until he was 25. Draco then received the 540 Euros and traveling degree. He used the degree to travel to Toronto, Canada. Once there, Draco rented an apartment with a roommate named Scarlett. Draco has now lived in Toronto for two years.

Draco has moved out of the apartment and into a large house. He has a modest flow of income coming from a book called 'Randomness' which contained 300 completely random facts, his job as a Scientist looking for ways to develop a type of fabric that traps heat, and his side-job as a developer of mods and other add-ons for several games.

Personality:
Draco has a weird outside personality, always thinking of ways anything could be used to beniefit him. He likes to think of everything as a force, even people, and all of the forces are acting on other forces. This unique view allows Draco to take apart most situations and analyse them, identifying the forces causing the problem. (This is fun to RP)

When presented with other people, Draco does all he can to appeal to them and agrees to anything they say. This is because if Draco gets into a physical fight, he'll get destroyed! Draco also likes to hear other peoples views, and is a devout Atheist.

Draco is also very wrapped up in the outside, and scarcely thinks about his own conditions.

Current Status:
Has been in Toronto for 2 years.
Modest income.
Wrote a book.

Pros:
Smart.
Not easily angered.
Doesn't anger others.

Cons:
Weak physically.
Doesn't express his views.
Lives in a state of dirtyness.

Yea or Nay?

Onikaigo

Vampire Lord
True Blood
May 17, 2008
Germany
'Devout Athetist'? Wow. I've never heard that before. Isn't an atheist, by definition of the related words, unable to be 'Devout'? Or am I incorrectly citing Devout?

Anyways, good character, that last line just jumped out at me.

Keldane

Ghoul
Mar 1, 2010
Jumping in to be the champion of internet accuracy! Which is kind of like herding lolcats.
dictionary.com said:
de·vout
–adjective,-er, -est.
devoted to divine worship or service; pious; religious: a devout Catholic.
expressing devotion or piety: devout prayer.
earnest or sincere; hearty: He had a devout allegiance to the political regime.

So while devout is often associated with religion, it is essentially synonymous with devoted.

Sanai

Stylish Deviant
True Blood
Oct 30, 2009
Behind Darvy
I have decided to change the name. I have overused "Cal Allente" so much in the past anyway :p.

Name: John Tennant
Height: 6'2
Build: Lanky, tall and skinny
Hair Colour: Dark Brown
Eyes: Gray
Place of Birth: Newcastle, New South Wales, Australia.
Current Home: Toronto, Canada
Background: Born in Australia, John Tennant is the son of an Australian Air Force pilot and a nurse. He was a loner through much of his school years, due to his fathers constant postings making it seem pointless to maintain friends that he would just have to leave. His father piloted F-18 Hornets for the Royal Australian Air Force, and his mother worked as a registered Nurse in various hospitals. When John reached the age of 18, he began training to become a Vetinarian, living in Perth, Western Australia at the time. He also had strong interests in all things creative, from art to music, and at this point finnally had some firm friendships. At the age of 21, he travelled to America, and while in America, had financial difficulty, and ended up on the streets for a short period of time while he waited for backup money to help him get a flight home. However, he did not make his flight home, as he had a mental breakdown, and was soon commited to a local mental institution after attempting suicide due to the death of his girlfriend in a car accident. At the age of 22, he was freed when the institution was raided by human rights activists, and he stumbled out of that place with jumbled memories of men in white coats, vicious orderlies, and sharp syringes. He caught bus's and hitchhiked his way across america, until he reached the Canadian Border. He contacted a family friend at Broder Base, where his father had once been lent to the canadians as an instructor for a squadron converting from F-18 Hornets to the new Joint Strike Fighter. This person lent him some money to help him out. John Tennant made him promise not to tell his parents that he had resurfaced, as he did not wish to pain his family, or continue his past life. Now he is 23, and is just settling in to his new life.

Employement: ....Dunno..any ideas?
Residence: A small apartment.
Lifestyle: Mostly stays in his apartment when not working. Is pretty damaged, but trying to have a decent life.

Hows that look? I decided to make the character much, much darker.

Decided to remove the blindness, and add alot of psychological trauma! Yaaay!

AsdrubaelWho

Skeleton
Jan 29, 2010
Seems thin is in. No "pudgy" characters yet. xD

I'm not sure I'd concede just yet Oni. By definition, an atheist is someone who disbelieves or denies the existence of a god or gods. The word believes implies faith without proof/knowledge which implies the acceptance of the possibility that there isn't a supreme being, but the "faith" that there is. In my understanding and as I have been informed by people of differing religions, a religious person "knows" that there is a supreme entity, which is different from "believes" there is.
To be devout is to be sincere in one's belief. To "know" does not require devotion. It simply is, though one can be devoted to their practice of said "knowledge".
Following this argument, an Atheist, by definition, disbelieves or denies this existence, also implying the very existence. So i guess I can concede that one can be a devout Atheist. But I'll raise another question. What do we call a person who "knows" there is no God.

AsdrubaelWho

Skeleton
Jan 29, 2010
Another question.
And this is purely from a character development perspective.
What does a character gain or lose from being Atheist as compared to "of a religion"?

Knightofni

Varghulf
True Blood
Aug 31, 2009
In general context I suppose that a character wouldn't gain or lose anything.. it's a purely personal choice.

The only difference I can see is that decisions may be made on a more rational and logical basis as opposed to making them based on religious beliefs. Though in most cases anyone with a 'good' conscience would end up making very similar decisions anyway.

Onikaigo

Vampire Lord
True Blood
May 17, 2008
Germany
I disagree that a character wouldn't gain/lose anything from being an Atheist.

Belief in a higher power is preeminent in our species. There are dozens of religions, most dealing with a benevolent god or a loving god(Goddess, in some) that takes the blame for most of our worlds hurts in a very dual way; they give us something to point a finger at and again give us something to believe in when our worlds go to hell.

Whether or not one believes in a specific God or Deity, or just in a general sense of the concept thinks that there's some higher power at work (Aliens, anyone?) the sheer fact that they -believe- has a huge impact to the human psyche.

Example.

A man has no god, no faith in anything but himself. He's put in a hopeless situation, say a 'Jigsaw' Scenario. He believes in himself, any moral code dependent on the person in question, but with that utter faith in himself his only source of strength -is- himself. To muster up that last razor filled inch, or boiling steam filled passage he has to dig in himself to find strength to go on.
How does a man who believes in nothing do so? He finds something to live for. A common phrase is that he finds something to believe in. This proves to be very difficult in tense situations, where one who, say, is a devout, dedicated Catholic or Mormom or Arab already has his ideals straight and doesn't need that moment to pull himself together.

Having belief in anything is better, realistically, than having belief in nothing. Strength comes from the mind, not the arms, and belief is the source of that strength. So, my basic point stands that a belief in a God is a character bonus in RP and in life; as the two should be indistinguishable while inhabited.

AsdrubaelWho

Skeleton
Jan 29, 2010
Onikaigo said:
Whether or not one believes in a specific God or Deity, or just in a general sense of the concept thinks that there's some higher power at work (Aliens, anyone?) the sheer fact that they -believe- has a huge impact to the human psyche.

Having belief in anything is better, realistically, than having belief in nothing. Strength comes from the mind, not the arms, and belief is the source of that strength. So, my basic point stands that a belief in a God is a character bonus in RP and in life; as the two should be indistinguishable while inhabited.

I understand everything you have stated here, Oni, but I wonder why it is impossible for a man's own strength, both of mind and physical, is not enough to support him through a hopeless situation, to urge him toward achieving the impossible. A man with strength has the desire to survive, to carry on and move forward. Why does he require an outside stimulus to overcome obstacles? I agree that some need or just want the extra support they receive from their beliefs and that it how they function best but I don't agree that man requires it. Be it the strength of hatred, which is ultimately destructive or strength of moral character, which is ultimately the devotion to positive life, both your own and everyone elses, present and future.
Hence a character should be able to have this strength.

I suppose this isn't really a topic for this thread, but happy to discuss it.:)

Grish

Liche
True Blood
Oct 11, 2007
Winnipeg, MB
You gain whatever help and support that faction can lend you. Religious people tend to stick together. You would also gain any anti-religious sentiment, and that religious factions restrictions (eg. Islams don't drink; not sure if that's a big negative or not for you).

Grish

Liche
True Blood
Oct 11, 2007
Winnipeg, MB
This can and should be discussed here! Belief and lack of belief, are both sides of the same gem, and work in this game.

I remember reading a study that people that believed in a God tended to live longer. Perhaps a reduction in stress thinking that this is how God wills it, or being happier with less? Unsure.

Evanm7

Grave Guard
Nov 14, 2009
If you're an Atheist, you don't gain anything. You don't lose anything either. The only thing you gain from Religion is the comradie of your fellow Religous people.

Grish

Liche
True Blood
Oct 11, 2007
Winnipeg, MB
You gain their help as well.

Here's a real life story of "a man who spied on Chinese dissidents in the United States has been living in a Toronto church since this past August to avoid deportation"

http://www.nationalpost.com/news/story.html?id=2514411

You can get real help in game, and out of game, from groups you belong to that support each other, religious or not.

Onikaigo

Vampire Lord
True Blood
May 17, 2008
Germany
AsdrubaelWho said:
I understand everything you have stated here, Oni, but I wonder why it is impossible for a man's own strength, both of mind and physical, is not enough to support him through a hopeless situation, to urge him toward achieving the impossible. A man with strength has the desire to survive, to carry on and move forward. Why does he require an outside stimulus to overcome obstacles? I agree that some need or just want the extra support they receive from their beliefs and that it how they function best but I don't agree that man requires it. Be it the strength of hatred, which is ultimately destructive or strength of moral character, which is ultimately the devotion to positive life, both your own and everyone elses, present and future.
Hence a character should be able to have this strength.

I suppose this isn't really a topic for this thread, but happy to discuss it.smile

Grish said:
This can and should be discussed here! Belief and lack of belief, are both sides of the same gem, and work in this game.

Thanks, Grish! I like this topic.

I thought I had stated it pretty clearly in my original post that a mans will alone isn't enough.

Let me paraphrase it.

A man is a man. Nothing more, nothing less. Now, what is different from a man who lives for over two weeks on a frozen mountaintop in a blizzard, surviving by the skin of his teeth and requiring medical attention the moment the attention can be given And....
A 9-5 office worker who just got fired, and is in his home resting the same day. He's depressed, his girlfriend just left him for good and there's a bottle of alcohol in the fridge, and a gun by his bed. Bad, bad thoughts are in his head.

They both had bad things happen to them, right? Granted, one was life threatening, the other is only temporary. People get new jobs, but then again, people live through bad situations as well.

Let's throw religion into this.

The same man on the mountaintop is there for a clerical retreat, a kind of hermitage. He's snowed in, unable to get to his reserve supplies of food or off the mountain in general. He prays to his god(ess) and finds comfort and solace in the fact that this is meant to be, a test. What religious man or woman would not find some way to justify their position, which they have no control over, as a sort of test from their deity? This sense of purpose that it gives you (I'm here for a reason, this is happening for a reason...Thus, purpose) is a huge stress reliever, and thus, a great benefit.

This is only a single benefit of having that inner faith.

The second scenario, much more hospitable and not nearly as immediate as the first. He's also religious. He drinks the alcohol, cries, screams well into the night, and finds himself on his knees by his bed, the drawer open and the gun in plain view. But as he reaches for the gun, a bible(Quran, Torah, etc) is seen directly underneath it. His faith flairs, and calm settles in; he has a purpose. This is something that had to happen, and there is a loving figure standing above him, looking down at him and sharing his pain.

He puts the gun away, sleeps, and a month later he's got a better job doing more things.

Now, granted, these are highly subjective scenarios. But this is what faith, a belief in something greater than yourself gives you. It's a little feeling called Hope.

In threat of making a terribly long post, here's the same scenario, and how I'd see it, without religion.

The man on the mountain is Agnostic. He directly tries to disprove God, and is thus on the mountaintop waiting for another hermit to come so he can argue with him. Snowstorm comes, he's trapped and there's no sunlight, he's stuck. He has no faith in things other than himself, no belief in divinity or providence, and no way to contact his only belief; people. The material. What does he do? He struggles for three days, expending energy, fighting the only way he knows how. With his hands and feet.

He may survive, he may not, but that lack of solidarity in yourself is a desperate, dangerous thing. It harms far more than it helps.

And I really think I don't need to type out the second scenario.

This is how I see 'Faith' in a God(ess), Humanity (As an ideal, not a physical manifestation), or Yourself as a huge boon to anything and everything you do. Lack of belief in something almost certainly will equate to a lack of performance in some area of your life. Who says it won't be a critical one?

Knightofni

Varghulf
True Blood
Aug 31, 2009
I'm going to disagree (I think).

Religion neither strengthens nor weakens people.. it's purely faith. And by that I mean that the true power behind it not any omnipotent god but the strength of will of any given individual.

Faith (which is not exclusive to religion) will deliver strength to anyone.. i.e. If an individual is resolute in his belief that there is no God of any kind, shape or size, then he is emboldened by his belief and he'll take strength from that.

In much the same way that if a Footballer truely believes that he can score a penalty, and has faith in his ability to do so then invariably he will score.. barring some expert goalkeeping of course.

People can believe in what ever they want, religiously or otherwise.

Evanm7

Grave Guard
Nov 14, 2009
Exactly!
Example:
That man on a mountain. Let's say he's an Atheist. If he BELIEVES and has FAITH that he can survive, it will have the same effect as someone who is Catholic BELIEVING in God instead of his/her own ability.

Onikaigo

Vampire Lord
True Blood
May 17, 2008
Germany
Now, see you two just proved my point. The last sentences I made, where one has faith in God, Humanity, or Yourself as an ideal.

Both of the examples you made used the human as the focal point for belief. My post was simply stating that one needs belief in SOMETHING, as the opposite, believing in nothing, was detrimental to you in every way.

An Atheist, who does not believe in God, is not weaker than a man who does. But an Atheist better come to terms with whatever he does believe, as the socially acceptable answer (and to my eyes easier to swallow answer, which is God) they ruled out of their own accord.

Belief and Faith are the keys,, as Evanm7 pointed out. Thus, is one believes there is no God, he must believe in something. Even if it's only his own perfection and ability, his faith in THAT can make him strong (If a bit arrogant and a prig, most of the time). Key word is 'Can'. I don't know those of you that do, but becoming completely at ease with yourself, comfortable with yourself, confident in yourself, and completely having faith that NOTHING in this world can touch you.....that's hard to come by.

Human morality is a always present concept. From the moment we're born, we're dying. From the first breath we take, we're counting toward the last. Thus, faith in ourselves is always finite; to my eyes. This is why a God(ess) is so appealing. They -don't- fail because they -can't- fail.

We fail because we're human. How can we have confidence when we know one day we're not going to be good enough? That's the crux.

Evanm7

Grave Guard
Nov 14, 2009
Hmmm...
Perhaps another reason:
What if a man has something besides himself or a divine being to believe in? Ex. A family, a home, a wife, or a dream? I've certainly been put in challenges where I couldn't believe in myself- I drew strength from other sources- the memory of my girlfriend, or remembering the my prior achievements.

Faith is the key- it doesn't have to be faith in a deity.

Count Erick

Wight King
Dec 28, 2008
Due to the nature of the character I would like to RP, for the time being I must, very regrettably, withdraw from the game. Hopefully things will work out to where I can join later.

AsdrubaelWho

Skeleton
Jan 29, 2010
Onikaigo said:
Now, see you two just proved my point. The last sentences I made, where one has faith in God, Humanity, or Yourself as an ideal.

Both of the examples you made used the human as the focal point for belief. My post was simply stating that one needs belief in SOMETHING, as the opposite, believing in nothing, was detrimental to you in every way.

.......Belief and Faith are the keys,, as Evanm7 pointed out. Thus, if one believes there is no God, he must believe in something. ......

This, I believe, sums up the culmination of this discussion, and which, I will assume, everyone can agree.

Onikaigo said:
.......We fail because we're human. How can we have confidence when we know one day we're not going to be good enough? That's the crux.

Unless we accept that our lives are finite and live them to the benefit of future generations. Which I understand is easier to do when you are not on your deathbed, unless you have actually lived your life in this way, knowing your life was a full, productive and contributive one.

Posted by Count Erick
Due to the nature of the character I would like to RP, for the time being I must, very regrettably, withdraw from the game. Hopefully things will work out to where I can join later.

I am very sorry to hear that Count Erick:(. I hope this has nothing to do with the current topic of discussion. A diverse party is a well rounded party. Can't have all warriors and fighters.

Grish

Liche
True Blood
Oct 11, 2007
Winnipeg, MB
Nope, doesn't have anything to do with that. Erick wanted to play something a little different, and currently I don't have answers of how it will integrate. Once I get a better handle on the game, I'll know better how to integrate his idea with it being in balance.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

Quick Navigation

User Menu