• Roll-up! Roll-up! Come one and all the fantastic Turning the World to Darkness painting competition. Welcome to any skill level, you can find out more here.
  • It's time once again to ferret out those murderous vampires in a new VAU - Vampires Amongst Us. A cross between Cluedo and a roleplay, sometimes gory and often hilarious! Find out more here.

Charge or let enemy charge?

Should we let the enemy charge instead of we charging? I kind of think I like to be charged more than charging myself.

If we attack we have to endure 2 rounds of combat without invocation of nehek.

If we attack there is a chance our attacking units go too far for units like the corpse cart to help them because they run too far...

If we use spear skeletons its more attack for us if we don't charge.

So is it better to let the enemy attack us? (of course we don't want them to attack anywhere but the front if we can help it)

Opinions?

The only major downside I see is that pesky +1 to CR, oh and those +stat on charge powers/weapons. Still I prefer my skellies to be charged for the very reason you mentioned.

The other possibly nasty reason not to get charged is that enemy can possibly make a too strong charge with multiple units and so break us in one round of combat...

I think I will try to make large units that can withstand a heavy charge though and see if I can last...

Dreadgrass

Necromancer
The other concern is we don't have a whole lot to encourage the enemy to engage us on out own terms. This is generally accomplished by other armies using artillery and the like. Unless we load up on offensive magic (and maybe screams?) I see little reason for the enemy to charge straight into fights they can't win... and stand-offs make for very boring games.

Being charged is preferrable I think, for reasons stated above, but we also can't afford to stand around 12" away from the enemy saying "no YOU charge!" back and forth. Instead, I'm working on a list you essentially slam your units down the enemies throat and force them to charge or be charged. I think 90% of opponents put in this situation will prefer to sieze the initiative and jump in first for the benefits, which accomplishes my goal, albeit in a less controlled way.

There's also something to be said for ensuring your unit gets steadfast over the enemy. I held up 30 chaos warriors in horde formation with 5x6 skeletons (spears) for 3 turns, casting IoN to keep their numbers up and whittling down the enemy with 16 attacks + curse of years. Would loved to have had a vampire or similar in there.

Disciple of Nagash

The Perverted One
Staff member
In general I find it is always better to get charged. Loosing the +1CR from charging is more than balanced by the fact that in the next magic phase we can heal. You have no idea what surprises might pop up from that enemy unit, so it is much better to be able to heal in the next phase, rather than having to wait two phases if you hit something nasty.

One time when you need to rethink this is when the enemy does impact hits, so especially when playing Ogres. They can do enough damage to reduce your static CR, putting you at a disadvantage before combat even starts.

for me thier are only 2 things to consider when i want to charge or not, since CC is Ini based. 1. Am i cavalry is so yes, if not i don't care. 2.Is the unit i'm going after cavalry if so then yes, if not then i don't care. I hope i worded that right, basically iwant to eliminate the enemy's bonuses.