• Roll-up! Roll-up! Come one and all the fantastic Turning the World to Darkness painting competition. Welcome to any skill level, you can find out more here.
  • It's time once again to ferret out those murderous vampires in a new VAU - Vampires Amongst Us. A cross between Cluedo and a roleplay, sometimes gory and often hilarious! Find out more here.

Chat seems to be broken. Also, German

As the title implies, when I went onto the chat it was white (rather than black) and no longer displaying messages. Where the names normally are, there were four 'picture failed to load' pictures (you hopefully know the type), when it said there were five users in the room.

As well as this, the chat refers to itself as ET-Chat v3.0.6. Also, everything's in German. The rooms were named 'Room for all', 'Room for admins' and 'Room password protected'.. This is on Google Chrome, version 27.0.1453.116 m

EDIT: It's started displaying names again, and the right numbers of them.

Disciple of Nagash

The Perverted One
Staff member
Somethings gone drastically wrong - but I am not sure why as nothing has changed coding wise. I will likely have to take offline.

Harland

The Colonel
True Blood
Just a stab in the dark - maybe it's something to do with the overall theme/format settings? Or do you mean absolutely nothing?

Disciple of Nagash

The Perverted One
Staff member
No its not that. Nothing at all has been done, it should not have been affected in anyway. A re-upload of the files for it didn't work either.

The Dread King

Staff member
True Blood
Count Darvaleth said:
I get the entire room in white, with German, as spiney describes. Using a Mac OS X 10.8.4 Google Chrome.
Both apple and google are tax avoiding swindlers, so the awesomeness of CN must be rebelling against their heresy.

In all seriousness, if we want to know whether it's do with formatting or not, we should check if chat works normally on the mobile version of the site - it has a different format. If chat is screwed up on the mobile version too, it's likely that the problem is not to do with formatting.

Disciple of Nagash

The Perverted One
Staff member
Chat has now been taken offline. :( It is sadly not cost effective to repair as it was a bodge job in the first place, something I did years ago and I haven't been able to update since as it is in german and the newer versions don't integrate with MyBB.

However don't panic! I think I may have found a much better alternative, that comes with a inbuilt integrator to our forum software. The only downside is that is costs so I am looking at the options at the moment.

Internet relay chat. Could have a CN channel on one of the many networks already working or could host a completely private one alongside with the forum. Could be accessed with separate IRC clients and/or a web-based client that could be linked as "Chat" on the forums.

The possibilities are almost endless with IRC. It's very basic system with a lot of customization possibilities.

A very basic example: @Quakenet#carpenoctem.
Code:
<iframe src="http://webchat.quakenet.org/?channels=carpenoctem&uio=d4" width="647" height="400"></iframe>

Disciple of Nagash

The Perverted One
Staff member
It looks interesting, however the other chat function I have found is also very impressive. I'll certainly bear this in mind though.

Irisado said:
You would have to download an IRC client to be able to access it.
... or just use the web-IRC I linked. That requires no downloads. Requires no zombies either but that seems to be a negative thing as chat usually had tens of visits during a day but the IRC channel has had only 4 visits in 4 days. All of those within the first day.

I hope DoN finds us a new chat system relatively soon. I miss my daily dose of chatting.

Shareya

Vampire Count
True Blood
But it costs money and we are gunning for free stuff, no? IRC web thingy that alppi linked would work I admit.

Disciple of Nagash

The Perverted One
Staff member
I will be going with Cometchat however all my funds at the moment are funnelled into moving. As soon as that is done I'll then look at paying for and installing Cometchat.