• Roll-up! Roll-up! Come one and all the fantastic Turning the World to Darkness painting competition. Welcome to any skill level, you can find out more here.
  • It's time once again to ferret out those murderous vampires in a new VAU - Vampires Amongst Us. A cross between Cluedo and a roleplay, sometimes gory and often hilarious! Find out more here.

cheaper GW alternative to GG with Great Weapons

Christophe von Carstein

Vampire Count
True Blood
Hi All

Pretty much what the title says, what would people recommend for an alternative to our VC GG with Great Weapons preferably from the GW range as I want a unit of 30 - 40 yet not willing to pay in the region of £25 (UK) for 10

Thanks

Mioum

Crypt Horror
Pretty much anything with halberd or great weapon really. Any model can be turned undead, either with the paintjob, with simple part swap like a skull head, or with more elaborate converting.

Undead can use anything as "count-as", you don't even have to try to justify why you use those models, a dead body is a dead body ;)

So browse GW website, and select anything you fancy with a suitable weapon :)

Christophe von Carstein

Vampire Count
True Blood
would skaven stormvermin work with a head swap with something that isnt rat for example skeletons, ghouls, flagellants or choas warriors/maurauders?

Duke Danse Macabre

The Duke
True Blood
Yes and no.
Personally I would just say stop being cheap but Storm Vermin may work.

Paint them Deneb Stone and cry Brush With Asurmen Blue to make them look deathly then claim they were the Skaven he raised while in the underground in the last of the Vampire Wars Trilogy.

Tim

Grave Guard
You could check ebay for deals.
Otherwise I would suggest to make some stunning unit fillers to increase numbers without using more models.

Seneschal

Liche
True Blood
I say try Halberdiers. Empire models tend to be the msot kit bashed when people make VC armies and it's pretty fluffy since the majority of vampires are in or around the empire.
My friend used men-at-arms so there's an another option. They look great, too. He put skeleton heads under their helmets which was a very cool idea.

Mioum

Crypt Horror
Christophe von Carstein said:
would skaven stormvermin work with a head swap with something that isnt rat for example skeletons, ghouls, flagellants or choas warriors/maurauders?

If you have other Skaven models around for Skeletons, Ghouls, etc, they might look the part. If you want regular undead units with only Stormvermin as Grave Guards, it might look a bit poor on the table, a cheap "proxy" instead of a sweet "count-as". But you could get some cheap Skaven with the starter set bitz on ebay, so you could make a more themed undead Skaven army to go along them.

For a head swap with them, something that work is the old beastmen skull (without horns) from the previous Skeletons box (wich is still produced for the Tomb Kings). You should find them rather cheaply on ebay, and they make good skaven skull, though I used them with the older plastic Skaven, maybe they'll look a tad big now.

Christophe von Carstein

Vampire Count
True Blood
Skaven arent currently part of my VC army i do have empire, bret and chaos knights however, I suppose halbediers would be most logical choice but I do want a few more chaos units in their as well although might just make marauder ghols or zombies then can use them as nurgle when I get my chaos army going

Abbysal

Crypt Horror
Personally I would just say stop being cheap but Storm Vermin may work.
Bit uncalled for DM. What do you do DM? You employed, self employed, rich parents? A lot of your responses are sharp and nasty, why is that?

Maybe you could buy a couple of boxes of the expensive GG models if you're not so bothered about cash and get them delivered to his doorstep?:zombie:

If you are dead-set on getting stuff from the GW range i would say maybe go for some out of production models on ebay, or if you want to REALLY save money you can make a whole block of GG with spare bits,(heads and arms coming out of the ground), but to be honest I would just buy 20 Mantic Revenant's for 14 pounds.

Christophe von Carstein

Vampire Count
True Blood
"Maybe you could buy a couple of boxes of the expensive GG models if you're not so bothered about cash and get them delivered to his doorstep?:zombie:" - would quote properly but for some reason wouldnt let me

Haha that would be great however unlikely

Don't frown just yet, but if you have spare GW's left over from any GG you have built with sword and board and you have some green stuff...

Skellies. just add a simple GS brestplate and shoulder pads should do just fine. otherwise, combine any pare axes you have, chop the head off one, leaving the handle and the "stick" bit and pin it to another full axe, bit of work to position the arm's and voila, cheaper GG with GW's.

Hope this is workable for ya Chris!

Christophe von Carstein

Vampire Count
True Blood
Actually yeah our skeleton models could work since ill have all the GW arms from the GG think i need new GS though. I can see the ghouls working also, although i think they would be more fiddly to make especially with helms

So I might just try the skellies idea and im sure i have other spare bits from like the empire range to make them a bit different