• Roll-up! Roll-up! Come one and all the fantastic Turning the World to Darkness painting competition. Welcome to any skill level, you can find out more here.
  • It's time once again to ferret out those murderous vampires in a new VAU - Vampires Amongst Us. A cross between Cluedo and a roleplay, sometimes gory and often hilarious! Find out more here.

Chicago GT 2008

Strahd

Black Knight
Well I just got back from the Chicago GT and it was awesome. I ended up taking 3rd place best general and probably would have won first place but I had some bad luck on my 4th game and got masacered. I will give you a quick break down of how it went:

Game 1 vs vampire counts

Basically he made a big mistake by putting his general in a unit of 5 dire wolves. My first turn I just bolstered my units and waited for him to advance. His first turn he marched up and tried to cast some spells but with 2 CC with balefire and my general Mannfredd getting plus 2 to dispel he didnt get anything off. In my turn Mannfred sent 3 magic missiles into the generals unit killing his wolves and then killing his general. He conceded turn 2.

Game 2 vs Dark Elves

His army took no magic and had that ring that if I roll doubles I miscast.
This was an awesome game and I didnt get the win till the very end when he had some bad dice rolling and 3 of his units fled and he couldnt rally them as it was last turn. Another massacre for me.

Game 3 vs Daemons

This army really scared me as he had I think 4 units of flesh hounds, 2 units of 10 horrors, a unit of daemonettes with a herald, 5 flamers, some furrys and 3 heralds on juggers including skulltaker. He got turn one and was halfway across the board ready to charge by turn 2!!! His flamers shot at my wraiths but had bad luck and didnt kill any. His one big mistake was that he put all three of his Khorne heralds in a unit of hounds directly across from my generals GG unit. In my turn I moved my wraiths within 4 in of his screamers and then in the magic phase Vanhels them into combat with him. I then raised zombie screens to redirect all of his units so they could only charg zombies and then put them out of position. Then I just got flank charges against most of all of his units and killed everything but his unit with all the charactors in it.
I ended up getting a major victory.

Game 4 vs daemons.... again

I was dreading this game... all khorne list with a thirster 3 heralds, including BSB with standard of sundering all on juggers. 4 units of hounds and 3 small units of bloodletters. All having the same items, armour of khorne and the flaming str 1 sword... yay!!!!!!! Well it was looking good for the first 2 turns or so but I forgot some major rules that pretty much killed me like the banner of sundering doesnt affect IoN. I had his Thirster and bsb plus a unit of hounds either bottle necked by difficult terrain or mobbed down by zombies and then in my magic phase was attempting to charge my GG into the fray and miscast for my 3rd time that game ending a critical magic phase. The combat saw him thirster kill the last of the zombies and was able to charge next turn into my GG units flank right where Manny was. After that it was pretty much game over, I got massacred.

Game 5 vs Orcs and Goblins

This game was pretty much just bad luck for my opponent. I basically put my wraiths within 6" of his generals unit and his turn he ran and i was able to kill it in my next turn along with a lot of his other units. He conceded in the 3rd turn I believe.

If I hadnt miscast in that 4rth game and remembered some rules I think I would have had best general but third isnt to shabby. I also got best general along with my friend in the doubles tournament. Go Vampire Counts!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mikael.K

Master Necromancer
True Blood
Very nice! Congrats on the 3rd place :D. That is deffinetly not bad. What did your list look like if I may ask?

Strahd

Black Knight
It was an uber cheesey list. This is what I took:

Mannfredd with staff sorcery and skull staff

Konrad

Wite King BsB with Drakenhoff Banner and GW

Vamp with Dark Acolyte Lord of dead Helm of Command black periapt

20 zombies

13 skeletons FC Hellfire banner

10 skeletons FC

2x Corpse carts with balefire

20 GG FC GW banner of barrows

5 wraiths

thats it, small but effective. I took way to much magic def but I thought there would be more magic heavy armies there but they were pretty much all daemon armies of Khorne.

N.I.B

Master Necromancer
True Blood
Hard, but not über cheesy. First of all Staff of Sorcery instead of Book of Arkhan is pretty kind, then taking Konrad is pretty nice of you as he's worse than a custom built vampire (although good for his points). Also 100 unnecessary points in a second Corpse Cart. And you took Grave Guards instead of Black Knights.

What did Konrad do in your 4 games?

How many participants where there?

Strahd

Black Knight
Konrad was kind of hit or miss. He did well in some games and then was totally worthless in others. I think I would have been better leaving him at home and taking another custom vamp with magic and dispel dice. The MVP's of all my games though had to have been the Wraiths. They were pure murder against everyone, really paid for there points and then some. I find undead to be a more defensive style army than offensive thats why I go with the GG and infantry over the cavalry. In almost any situation that I can think of your opponent has to come to you. He cant sit on his line and just shoot at you or the game is inevitably going to be a boring draw. I think dwarves are pretty much the only army that can get away with it. The army played beautifully though and I had a blast with it. I think there were around 70 players or so this year, a huge drop from the years past but still a lot of fun. They were talking that this might be the last year for the Chicago Gt but I hope not.[hr]
oh and the other CC was far from unnecessary. First of all having 2 miasmas was a godsend and saved me on more than one occassion and against undead its awsome. It means its plus 2 for IoN so it shuts down a huge part of there magic or anyone else's really.

dictator

Vampire Count
True Blood
70 a huge drop? That's pretty crazy. I've been to a tournament, nonsanctioned, with about 60 people and they were saying it was a huge turn out.

I think your right in some respect about the infantry. What would you replace Konrad with?

Strahd

Black Knight
Well considering they usually have like 50 or more tables normally at these tournys it was a pretty big drop but the Chicago GT is normally held in conjunction with gamesday and it wasnt this year so thats probably why. Im not really sure who I would replace Konrad with. Its hard to beat his combat ability in a hero lv vamp but not having any kind of magical ability really hinders the list due to it being a very magic dependant list. I would have to say though I think in some combats I just had bad luck with him. I was faced with flesh hounds and in one game he was killing 3 a turn and in the other game 1 or none at all but like I said that was mostly due to bad dice on me or good ward saves by my opponent. I dont think you can really kit out a vamp hero to match Konrads ability though so I will probably just keep him.

Last year Chicago had 77 people. I've been told this year was under 50 (not a drop of 50, just under 50 total), but I don't know.

Most big GTs top out in the 70-ish range. Hillbilly is the clear king in the US, this year it had 132. The biggest GW run events the last two years have been Vegas, and it was only 92 this year. I think Colonial is the only US GT besides Hillbilly to hit 100, which it barely managed this year.

Remember that the US has more than a dozen Grand Tournaments each year. Maybe two dozen. There is no *need* to attend a GW run event, the independents are at least as good.