• It's time once again to ferret out those murderous vampires in a new VAU - Vampires Amongst Us. A cross between Cluedo and a roleplay, sometimes gory and often hilarious! Find out more and sign-up! here.

Disciple of Nagash

Oldblood
Staff member
Feb 12, 2008
So back in the day, the CN theme was hot stuff...but that was something like 10 years ago! :D

As I do the technical upgrades to the forum, what are your thoughts on the theme? Some questions to ponder:

• Is the red too much of a contrast? Should we have simpler colours. As I type this, this grey seems much easier on my eyes compared to other sections. Am I just getting old?!
  • Lots of people like dark themes, does it work still?
  • I assuming most agree our old beloved smilies are looking tired and need updating! :D:lol::perv::happy:

Belladonna Voltaire

Vyrkos Primogen
True Blood
Aug 15, 2007
Wirral
It looks too small on mobile devices and a bit grainy (I'll send you screenshots)

It works overall though as a dark theme is always good, I think it's just on some of the banners it gets lost and a bit cluttered.

The emojis haven't dated well, I agree.

Irisado

Ancient Vampire Lord
Staff member
True Blood
May 22, 2010
Nottingham, UK
I'm more fond of light themes than dark ones, as they are easier on my eyes, however, this is a forum about vampires, so red and black are the natural colour choices. Maybe there is a way to make them a bit less harsh? I'm not sure. Overall, the colours are probably okay as they are now, but I only use a desktop PC, so I cannot comment on the mobile layout.

The Sun King

Staff member
True Blood
Aug 22, 2012
Copenhagen
Personally I think we should go with a lighter theme. I've worked proffesionally in media with communication and a red and black theme is normally a big no-no, because it is til "heavy" and not easy to read. However, I know that a big change like going with a light theme could divorce us from our nostalgic members, and I'm cool with keeping it as it is for that reason. That is my two cents. 🙂

Disciple of Nagash

Oldblood
Staff member
Feb 12, 2008
I think we could do with a lighter one as well, I find myself using the XenForo default theme just because of how heavy our custom one is.

I don't think it's super high on the list, but I'll look at this one in the next few weeks and make it an optional choice. Something maybe in grey etc.

The Sun King

Staff member
True Blood
Aug 22, 2012
Copenhagen
The first one is easier on the eyes - at least the text is. But I both themes are still very dark because the background colour is black. The main problem with a black theme is that you can't read it outside when the sun is out.

Disciple of Nagash

Oldblood
Staff member
Feb 12, 2008
I've got to admit Sunny I find that one too bright! But they have a pro bundle that includes both a light and dark theme with an easy toggle between the two! The only thing I don't like on that is that the header bar isn't sticky but maybe that can be tweaked...

Disciple of Nagash

Oldblood
Staff member
Feb 12, 2008
I think I've found a theme framework which I can use to generate multiple styles from so everyone can be happy! I've got some work to do experimenting with it on our test site 👍

Reactions: Kassill

Disciple of Nagash

Oldblood
Staff member
Feb 12, 2008
Update on theme: I've purchased some addons to customise the themes, so I can create as many variants as I need. Also I have more options in terms of layout, images etc.

Little taster of me messing around:

Screenshot 2021-06-17 at 21.59.27.png

Irisado

Ancient Vampire Lord
Staff member
True Blood
May 22, 2010
Nottingham, UK
Would the easiest option not be to just allow all members to choose between a light theme or a dark theme? Yes, one would always have to be the default, but so long as everyone is aware that there is a choice, this would seem like the best way to handle this to me.

Disciple of Nagash

Oldblood
Staff member
Feb 12, 2008
Would the easiest option not be to just allow all members to choose between a light theme or a dark theme? Yes, one would always have to be the default, but so long as everyone is aware that there is a choice, this would seem like the best way to handle this to me.
That will be the idea. However the current dark one is hard on the eyes, and I think we need a lighter "Dark" option.

So members will be able to choose (once I've finished):
- Retro Vampire (our current theme)
- Dark (will be more grey)
- Light

On that note I'm struggling to find a shade of red that doesn't cause eye strain. But purple (colour of Shyish) seemed to work quite well. Example below, feedback? (Ignore the Latest Posts bit at the top, that's me experimenting)

Screenshot 2021-06-18 at 23.37.27.png

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

Quick Navigation

User Menu