• It's time once again to ferret out those murderous vampires in a new VAU - Vampires Amongst Us. A cross between Cluedo and a roleplay, sometimes gory and often hilarious! Find out more and sign-up! here.

SkinAndBones

Zombie
Feb 12, 2016
PA
Hey guys. New to the board. Most of my experience playing and painting is with Bretonnia, but I love VC and their models, so I figured I'd start a second army. Here's what I've painted so far:

Master Necromancer:
BVQKUt0.jpg

Wight King:
yF9V4tH.jpg

WWgGvpN.jpg

10 Skeletons:
onnK3F7.jpg

pLFZpKF.jpg

7VmH7bU.jpg

5 of 60 zombies finished. Waiting to base them until they're all done... Someday:
c2uTp0U.jpg

And my newest addition, a frostbitten Mourngul. He looks really white in the pictures. In reality, he's more of a pale, bluish grey. Sorry, it was hard to get good pictures for him:
jeKRkMw.jpg

WbBDqis.jpg

I was going for a water splash effect, like he was slamming it into the water. Came out ok. Really hard to do...
2p8xZTP.jpg

D41mo5N.jpg

Reactions: Thanos Balorkin

Borgnine

Master Necromancer
True Blood
Jun 15, 2013
Pruszkow, Poland
Welcome to the forums then! And a fellow bretonnian! :)

First two posts and already some awesome content! I love your ice-cold color scheme - and the execution is also very good. The colors could use some blending in my humble opinion, but that effect you have there is so stark, I can't not like it :) Especially that Wight King's cape, it looks glorious, all that strong contrast.
Mournghoul is also great, we don't see that model very often. The splash effect is cool - what did you use for it? BTW, that basing with snow and swamp - simple, yet very strong visually, I like it very much. And I impatiently wait for more :)

SkinAndBones

Zombie
Feb 12, 2016
PA
Thanks man. The basing is pretty fun, but I have to get whole batches painted before I do any so I don't waste the stuff. I use Woodland Scenics' "Realistic Water" for it, with a few drips of Agrax mixed in. For the splash, I played with some hot glue until it looked kinda like water splashing in a forward arc, then glued it onto the base and covered it in the "water" as I did the rest of the base.

Apr 13, 2015
Cleveland, Ohio
Great work. Light colors always seem hard to photograph. The Morngul is awesome and I think everything you described was executed well. It really does look like he's splashing the body down into the water. Mixing manufactures looks good, since you've used the best of each brand.

Nov 20, 2008
Stockholm
Welcome!

These skellies look really great, very crisp and clean color scheme you have got going on right there. I like the layering you have done. you really got a knack for knowing just what color to use for each highlight.

SkinAndBones

Zombie
Feb 12, 2016
PA
Thanks for the kind words guys. I have been pretty busy, but I managed to get some stuff done. For this post, I only have pics of my Black Coach, but I'll update with a Vampire Lord and Corpse Cart whenever I can get a friggin' second to take some pictures. Besides, the Black Coach is what I'm most proud of right now anyway.

I hate how boring the stock model looks and especially the old skeleton horses, so I looked for ways to convert it. I got the idea for this finished product from google image search results, and I think it might have been pictures from someone on here, so all credit for this idea goes to whoever that may have been (thanks). It was pretty fun to make and paint, hope you enjoy.

mIsENGG.jpg

FfALNRn.jpg

6wHe4Z5.jpg

dkTr54H.jpg

pRhVJqN.jpg

9CTrnZv.jpg

Sorry about the crappy lighting in the pics. What do you think of the model?

Reactions: Theerteen

Ol'timer

Ghoul
Oct 2, 2014
Looks good with the spirits added. Yeah the original looks good, but I wish there was a option for some zombie horses.

Nagash Worshiper

Black Knight
Dec 24, 2014
I realy like how the coach is floating! Makes it so much more than just a carriage! Well done! I'm also a fan of your movement trays!

Irisado

Ancient Vampire Lord | Siphoner of Spammers
Staff member
True Blood
May 22, 2010
Nottingham, UK
That's a fantastic conversion and a wonderful use of colour to give it that ethereal sensation, which fits in with the background about it can gain assorted extras during battle. You've done an incredible job with this model.

Borgnine

Master Necromancer
True Blood
Jun 15, 2013
Pruszkow, Poland
Using those spirt horses is a terrific idea - they look great, they replace the dull originals and let you avoid problems with the base being too small ;) The painting is also top notch, that limited pallete really brings out the coldness of the whole piece :)

Aug 31, 2014
Wow! I love the coach! Nice use of the Mortis Engine parts! And I really like the blue for ethereals. Hmm... might work with my army colour schemes :)

SkinAndBones

Zombie
Feb 12, 2016
PA
Hey guys. Long time, no update. I've mostly been painting Bretonnians and assembling/magnetzing models, and I now have 30 skellies painted of my 50 total. Anyway, I do have some newly painted stuff to share, finally.

First up is my Vampire Lord. Can't remember what model he is, maybe Reaper, but I liked the shield a lot.
EKScqwD.jpg

tjKBjvH.jpg

Next, here's some spirit hosts I painted up...
cI27oVy.jpg

And the grand finale... I magnetized a Mortis Engine/Coven Throne... I figured that I'd probably use the ME more, but the Coven Throne is such an awesome model that I wanted both, so I magnetized them. This is a pretty fiddly set, and it took 30 magnets, some of them in strange places. However, success! The finished product looks great either way (I think), and holds together well.

The base palanquin for both models.
fXF059c.jpg

jl9KU20.jpg

All the magnetized pieces of the Mortis Engine:
4S84duA.jpg

The Necromancer:
UvsuGUw.jpg

dpfrEpt.jpg

All the magnetized pieces of the Coven Throne:
vo2141m.jpg

I'm really pleased with these two:
shdr266.jpg

The vampires, also magnetized. These are such great models:
oVcqxCJ.jpg

Coven Throne assembled:
ZqzphvK.jpg

Sorry about the dates on the pictures... Let me know what you think!

Theerteen

Cheerful Cranium
True Blood
Aug 20, 2012
Germany
Ok somehow I missed leaving some words of admiration here, great stuff as far as I can tell! Colors and paintjob look awesome, I always fail at bringing clean style together with matt "realistic" appearance. Veeery nice! If you are interested, your coach or ME would hit the requirements of our current painting challenge ;) we always love to have more entries / competition!

SkinAndBones

Zombie
Feb 12, 2016
PA
Thanks for the compliment, but don't quit, haha. Just do your best and keep playing (especially if you're still playing 8th, haha)

Farmer7574

Vampire Count
True Blood
Dec 10, 2013
England
@SkinAndBones I may just have to pick up one of those vamp lords, the shield is pretty awesome and your painting has done it justice.

Catchy basing on the spirit hosts, ties them together as a unit nicely. Really nice work and bravo to you mate for getting so much done lately. All beautifully painted too. Looking forward to seeing what you do next.

Borgnine

Master Necromancer
True Blood
Jun 15, 2013
Pruszkow, Poland
Wonderfull work here! I love the black ponds on the bases, binds them together and makes for a good contrast with the snow:thumbsup: Remembering how arduous was putting this together with glue, I cannot even imagine working with magnets on this - so even more congratulations from me for managing it! They are all looking great :) Two questions though:
- How are you painting blood on your models? Like those pillow guts on the coven throne, for example?
- Do you have your Bretonnians posted anywhere?

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

Quick Navigation

User Menu