• It's time once again to ferret out those murderous vampires in a new VAU - Vampires Amongst Us. A cross between Cluedo and a roleplay, sometimes gory and often hilarious! Find out more and sign-up! here.
Jul 28, 2009
England
Hey all I usualy run a caster-lord but fancied a change,any help or critism would be apprecaited

Red fury,Inf hatred,lord of the dead
night shroud,crown of the damned,black peripat,sword of battle
level 3

I'm thinking he should quite easily munch through most infantry and break most things in combat,while still being able to contribute to the magic phase

Again all help appreciated :)

Paksos

Ghoul
Jun 10, 2009
London
Against low to medium armoured infantry this build will be a bit of a monster. Unfortunately though, Str 5 will probably not be enough to get through armoured knights or another combat lord coming back the other way so I guess it depends on your opponent as to how effective this build should be. Also remember that the Nightshroud only lets him strike before enemy models that are targeting HIM personally, not his whole unit...

Vexing

Zombie
Feb 27, 2010
Canaduh!
Also keep in mind Nightshroud only counts as Light armour, so with a shield he's only at a 5+, at best it's a 4+ in frontal close combat. He'll be taking some pretty big wounds once you add in any Strength armour modifiers, not to mention if he's your general you can kiss your entire army's ass goodbye if he dies. Let's not forget about flanking either, you no longer get the Parry bonus so he's again down to a 5+.

If you really want a juicy Vamp Lord, take:
Build 1: Dread Knight, Infinite Hatred, Walking Death and Beguile
or
Build 2: Dread Knight, Red Fury and Beguile

The benefit of Dread Knight, aside from the armour bonus and +2 Str on the charge with a lance is that the Nightmare also gives you an extra attack so on your Vamp's turn even if it doesn't benefit from the Vamp's stats. Also, taking Dread Knight means you've afforded yourself an extra 25pts to spend on magical items that you would've used on Nightshroud.

Now if you use Build 2, definitely take the Blood Drinker as any unsaved wounds from this wep will make your Vamp or his unit regain 1 wound. That could be huge, especially since he's built to almost auto-wound everything. Yes, I'm well aware Beguile only works vs 1 target each round.

After that I'd take the Wristbands of Black Gold (3+ Ward vs ranged attacks of any kind including war machines, templates, etc.) so he's almost guaranteed to reach his intended target.

After that you've got 30pts to play with for magic items if you wanna use all the allowed points. I'd go with a Helm of Commandment for that surprise punch from another unit!

I'm pretty sure that's all legal, but feel free to critique as needed.

loquar

Ghoul
Mar 27, 2010
Birmingham
I'd go dreadlance, cadaverous curiass, gem of blood, dread knight, red fury.

Always hit, extra attack per wound, 2+ save immune to KB and rebound first wound.

Fluff it out with walking death or something

The Red Scourge

Grave Guard
Jan 27, 2009
I run the 9" move, the ward of stupid and either Bears' Anger or Flaming Sword of Rhuin. Along with Red Fury and a third level :)

Jack Shrapnel

Black Knight
Jan 12, 2008
Kingston, ON
I run dread knight, infinite hatred, red fury, walach's hauberk, blooddrinker

1+ AS, 5+ ward, extra attacks, rerolls to hit every round, nightmare extra attack, and heals himself and his unit with every wound...

TMS

Staff member
True Blood
Nov 26, 2008
Sweden
I've tried and had some pretty good results with the following setup, inspired by one of Danceman's posts.

Vampire Lord - Aura of Dark Majesty, Dread Knight, Beguile, Walach's Bloody Hauberk, Sword of Kings

He's been doing a good job of battling enemy characters and has enough defensive power to take care of himself from inside his bodyguard unit of Grave Guard. There's also enough room to hand him the Cursed Book, but not quite enough to give him Arkhan's. :(

Capt Rubber Ducky

Vampire Count
True Blood
Jun 9, 2009
Well I run my lord like this

Vampire Lord
Infinate Hatred, Dreadknight, Redfury
WB hauberk, Balefirespike, (book of Arhkan depending on points or maybe a scroll or Nothing)

On the charge he eats Trolls for breakfast, hydras for lunch and Treemen for Dinner. He also snacks on units during the day. Treekin go down well too.

Humaneater

Black Knight
Apr 5, 2010
Generally I run these:

For on foot: Level 3, Red Fury, Infinite Hatred, Sword of Kings, Flayed Hauberk, Crown of Stupidity.

Lots of attacks and KB = yummy. Fairly well protected too with 2+ armour and 4+ ward. Extra 25 pts of powers can go into either Beguile or Walking Death. Extra 15 of magic items again can go wherever, Lycni/periapt generally for me.

For mounted: Red Fury, Beguile, Walking Death, Dreadlance, Flayed Hauberk, Abyssal terror/Hellsteed.

If you can kit him out right Dread Knight isn't always necessary, just the cheap option. Since I replace the armour and weapon, it frees up 20 pts powers not to take.

Btw, I hope you get lance bonus on a monstrous mount, never found anything to say no but never come up in a game yet :S

TMS

Staff member
True Blood
Nov 26, 2008
Sweden
But keep in mind that since monstrous mounts can be killed, your Lord will lose the use of his Lance if he's ever reduced to being on foot. This was mentioned in the VC FAQ, I believe~

Humaneater

Black Knight
Apr 5, 2010
Hmm, why alot of people favour the hellsteed. Still, one of the powers can be swapped for Hatred and the weapon swapped for something else. Thats always performed nicely for me though :)

Soul

Zombie
Feb 9, 2010
Vamp Lord
Dread Knight, Red Fury, Infinite Hatred
The Cadaverous Cuirass, Sword of Might, The Hand of Dust, The Cursed Book.

Bang!

Abhorash.

Grave Guard
Apr 28, 2009
Minnesota
Super combat with good magic:

Vampire Lord
+1 magic level
Red Fury
Infinite Hatred
Walachs Bloody Hauberk
Blood Drinker
Black periapt
Zombie Dragon/ (Hellsteed for smaller games)

I play against Good combat like Dark elves, Warriors, and daemons and i feel he does the job a lot of the time. Hes a level 3 wizard so he can contribute a good amount when hes not destroying units in combat, Red fury, Infinite hatred (especially on the dragon) make him a combat freak, than with Avatar of death, and walachs bloddy hauberk hes got a 2+ AS (1+ in CC) and a 5+ WS, than with Blood Drinker and his massive ability to crush units he cant really ever die. Plus the Zombie Dragon basically doubles his combat prowess, and the flying is nice.

Azimyth

Zombie
Jun 23, 2009
Johannesburg
Since I hate putting mounted characters in my infantry blocks (and my entire army is infantry) I go with a footslogger with the following:
Powers: Red Fury, Infinite hatred, Walking death
Items: Sword of Might, Wig of Idiocy, the 1+ armour(forget the name now), plus 25 pts of whatever, usually a scroll or stone.

Dreadgrass

Necromancer
Dec 20, 2009
Well, since we're all throwing in, my favourite lord is:

Vampire Lord - Lvl.3
- Forbidden Lore, Ghoulkin, Dreadknight, Summon Creatures of the Night
- Walach's Bloody Hauberk, Sword of Might, 2 x Power stones

The main focus is for Forbidden Lore to take Lore of Fire. I run him on a flank in a unit of 5 Black Knights with the double US standard, so they race along in a 3 x 2 formation (for manouverability) and hose the enemy early game with firewalls and (my personal favourite) burning heads, then he whips out the flaming sword and goes to town! The power stones enable me to get the right spells cast when I need them most.

He also tots a 1+ save, a 5+ ward and the SoM in case enemy wizards want to rain on your fiery parade... Ghoulkin frees up my thralls for decent combo's and Summon Creatures mainly bolsters my bats and keeps my dog screens running...

GO-GO MY FIERY LYCANTHROPIC LORD OF DEATH!!!

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

Quick Navigation

User Menu