• Roll-up! Roll-up! Come one and all the fantastic Turning the World to Darkness painting competition. Welcome to any skill level, you can find out more here.
  • It's time once again to ferret out those murderous vampires in a new VAU - Vampires Amongst Us. A cross between Cluedo and a roleplay, sometimes gory and often hilarious! Find out more here.

Count Mannfred and noone else

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was discussing it with my friend and we realized that if you choose to have Count Mannfred in your army since he knows all vampiric spells and death spells then no other vampire can know any other spell except of the necromantic ones (IoN, Raise and VDM) according to the new BRB the wizards can't know the same spells.

Count Darvaleth

I <3 marmite
True Blood
witchking1980 said:
I was discussing it with my friend and we realized that if you choose to have Count Mannfred in your army since he knows all vampiric spells and death spells then no other vampire can know any other spell except of the necromantic ones (IoN, Raise and VDM) according to the new BRB the wizards can't know the same spells.
Not unless it's un-avoidable. I believe in the Errata they said ignore the rule about having no multiple spells across the army.

EDIT: Yes, "Page 39 - Lore of Vampires - If you roll the same spell twice, roll again. - Ignore this rule."

Ophidicus

Vampire Count
True Blood
When will people learn to read all the rules, not just the ones that make the cry? Check the bottom two paragraphs of p.490, Spell Generation, column 1.

page 490
"Otherwise, if you roll a spell twice (whether for the same wizard or for a different wizard in the army) you must normally replace the duplicate spell with another of your choice from the same lore. If you cannot, because all the other spells have already been taken by other wizards for example, this extra spell is lost."

Ophidicus

Vampire Count
True Blood
Column 1 please, column 1. The bottom 2 paragraphs. The same page, but column 1, not column 2. Column 1. By all means read the rest of the page while you're at it, but make sure you read
Ophidicus said:
the bottom two paragraphs of p.490, Spell Generation, column 1.
Got that?

However if spells a purchased or selected then it doesn't matter. For that reason, I'm taking Manfredd and Necromancers. All their spells are pre-selected, and thus there is no need to roll or lose spells.

Zanthor said:
However if spells a purchased or selected then it doesn't matter. For that reason, I'm taking Manfredd and Necromancers. All their spells are pre-selected, and thus there is no need to roll or lose spells.
my intention also, though i intend to include at least one more vampire. you could actually take two vampires you have to roll for and if you get the same spell, the rules say you can choose its replacement, not bad if you dont want to (or cant) take forbidden lore

Count Darvaleth

I <3 marmite
True Blood
The Errata!!! Hello?! Am I invisible?! I kinda answered the question with my first post, (not wanting to toot my own horn) so why are people then formulating strategies that specifically contradict the rules set down by the BRB and the FAQ?!

Rant aside....please read the whole thread before posting a question/idea that might have been covered. Mostly it's fine, but in this particular instance... not really. I've watched somebody's mad rumour on one thread spread to another, another, and another until everyone (or almost everyone) thinks it's true. This exact one has come up so many times. I've answered it about as many times.

We ignore the Spell Selection re-roll rules!!! It's been FAQ'd!!!!

Ophidicus

Vampire Count
True Blood
The Erratum to which you refer applies to every race with its own spell lore, it's in (for example) the Wood Elf FAQ as well, if you roll a duplicate you can choose a different [unused [unless covered by one of the exclusions]] spell as per the Warhammer rulebook rules for spell selection. The errata is irrelevant, the pertinent rule under which means Mannfred does not stop any other VC model having the same spells from the Lores of Vampires and Death is on WFB p.490, see if you can guess where...

Count Darvaleth

I <3 marmite
True Blood
Page 90..... you sure? That's the list of mundane weapons, and in the VC book it's the hero-selection page.

But really, it's just common sense. Anybody tries to tell you you can't have multiple spells, hit them in the face with your case and tell them they can't have multiples of the same model. You end up with a Vampire Lord, a Vampire, a Necromancer, and a WK BSB, plus perhaps 1 skelly and 1 GG or something. Fun? No. RAI.

Ophidicus

Vampire Count
True Blood
:redface: < That's cos I'm angry with rules non-readers, not cos I'm embarrassed. I refer of course to page 490.

Count Darvaleth

I <3 marmite
True Blood
Ophidicus said:
:redface: < That's cos I'm angry with rules non-readers, not cos I'm embarrassed. I refer of course to page 490.
Yay! That was fun...sent on an easter-egg-rules-hunt by the Easter Ophbunny. Anyway, the conclusion:

So, it's fine if the spell is bought etc. But what if you had the following scenario:

A vampire with FL (vampires)

Another level 2 vampire without FL. What spells does he get?

Answer- I guess it is just what order you pick your spells in.... roll for all the non-FL users first, then bring the FL-users in after, and the Necros etc. That way no opponent can complain.

Count Darvaleth said:
The Errata!!! Hello?! Am I invisible?! I kinda answered the question with my first post, (not wanting to toot my own horn) so why are people then formulating strategies that specifically contradict the rules set down by the BRB and the FAQ?!

We ignore the Spell Selection re-roll rules!!! It's been FAQ'd!!!!
what strategies are being formulated here that contradict the rules in the rulebook and FAQ? other than the original post which only missed a part of the rules i see no contradictions, no one has said we dont ignore the re-roll rules.

Count Darvaleth said:
So, it's fine if the spell is bought etc. But what if you had the following scenario:

A vampire with FL (vampires)

Another level 2 vampire without FL. What spells does he get?

Answer- I guess it is just what order you pick your spells in.... roll for all the non-FL users first, then bring the FL-users in after, and the Necros etc. That way no opponent can complain.
a vampire with forbidden lore knows all the spells from the chosen lore, if you have a vampire without FL and one with, you just roll for the non-FL vampires spells, if an opponent complains just show them the FL entry in the army book

Ophidicus said:
I have read it carefully and of course Mannfred since does not pick his spells you can have any spell with any other vampire.

My post was mostly a query, since I cannot remember every rule from the new rulebook, and not in any way DOOM & GLOOM since I don't believe we have been nerfed terribly or something like that. I was not rude neither angry with you as I don't know you and you don't know me. Since you are a member of this forum at least try to restrain your nerves and reply in the same manner.

Ophidicus

Vampire Count
True Blood
My apologies if you did not see the self-depracation in my use of the 'embarrased' smily, I assure you I am not angry. Indeed, though things I read on the internet can often inflame me terribly I have learnt to control myself. It is, after all, only a few digits on a screen.

I have no apologies though for directing you as specifically as appeared necessary to the answer to your query. Now that you have been so directed, and had your query answered, we may leave the matter to its well-deserved rest.

"at least try to restrain your nerves and reply in the same manner."

I shall do no such thing.

You did well to give me advise and a hint where to seach for and I thank you for that. When I have written the query I was on work to be honest so the rulebook was not available but when I came home I have searched on p490 and everything is clear now.

Anyway we are all on the same side and we are undead too so no offence from my part :D

Count Darvaleth

I <3 marmite
True Blood
I would also like to apologise to anyone offended by any of my posts in this thread... I'm a fickle person, and Slaanesh was having a fit when I was posting. (The particular manner of said fit is for you to imagine... xD )

But anyway, the question is answered, right? All sorted, everyone's happy. (If undead feel emotion?)

Disciple of Nagash

The Perverted One
Staff member
Yes this has definitley been answered, and considering how......tense perhaps... this thread got, I think it can be left alone.

:siren:Thread Locked:siren:

Status
Not open for further replies.