• Roll-up! Roll-up! Come one and all the fantastic Turning the World to Darkness painting competition. Welcome to any skill level, you can find out more here.
  • It's time once again to ferret out those murderous vampires in a new VAU - Vampires Amongst Us. A cross between Cluedo and a roleplay, sometimes gory and often hilarious! Find out more here.

Counts in progress

The Dark Sheep

Master Vampire
True Blood
You've got a very strong colour theme going on, and I like that. The bright purple really stands out and unifies the army well. The only thing I miss now is an army wide shot.

Master Vampire

Master Necromancer
True Blood
TDS said:
You've got a very strong colour theme going on, and I like that. The bright purple really stands out and unifies the army well. The only thing I miss now is an army wide shot.
Tut tut, you don't miss the basing? ;)

About that, do you have any ideas?

I really like the purplish colour. Makes me think of Necrarchs. :) Any work on the Vampires yet?

Anyways good work. Keep it up.

The Dark Sheep

Master Vampire
True Blood
Obviously they're all going to be simultaneously based... duh :rolleyes:.

No really I didn't actually notice it (with all these unbased models all over the place), but when you mention it they loook kinda empty :tongue:

Of course I will do basing, maybe I did the opposite till now as I have painted them before basing got done. But, I wanted so much to paint them before I start thinking about basing ;) I think that snow or ash basing theme would be nice for the general purple theme of my army, on the other hand I play with my friends mostly in grass themed tables and that makes me think that the basing should be something in grass o_o

Disciple of Nagash

The Perverted One
Staff member
Nice army. The purple is great (Vekarin will like that), though I am not sure why the purple Ghouls? I can see the armour and banners, but purple skin?

Like the grey skin on the zombies as well.

Disciple of Nagash said:
Nice army. The purple is great (Vekarin will like that), though I am not sure why the purple Ghouls? I can see the armour and banners, but purple skin?

Like the grey skin on the zombies as well.
Purplish Ghouls came in my mind from the Dungeon & Dragons arcade game (mid 90s). As for the grey skin in zombies, I wanted them to be like the american movie school zombies (see Dawn of The Dead) and not like the GW zombies standard theme.

Skorne

Wight King
The painting is well done. As for the basing, do you have any colors in mind specifically that will not clash with the strong purple? Personally I would go ash or some dark color instead of snow.

Skorne said:
The painting is well done. As for the basing, do you have any colors in mind specifically that will not clash with the strong purple? Personally I would go ash or some dark color instead of snow.
Ash would be wonderful, but as I have said I am playing mostly in grass themed tabletops so could I combine a bit of ash along with scorched brass?
I would like to hear your opinion about the basing that could feat better with my theme.

Goggalor

Necromancer
I like the purple ghouls, they are different and well painted. Basing will just be a hit and miss, just try different cominations till you are happy. You are the one who has tolook at them the most. Scorched grass would be a good choice i think.

Trevy the Great

Vampire Progenitor
True Blood
Aiii! Psychadelic!
Awesome. xD

Those colors are awesome! Not many try for such a strong color scheme, but this one contrasts well with the skin, bone and weapons of these models. The purple Ghouls look good as well, because the color helps unify them with the army, which is something that is missing in so many other armies. Good work!

I really like the look of 'em :)

I just wanted to say that, as far as basing, go with what you want to go with! Don't go with grass just because you play on grass if you don't want grass!

I play Ogres (not vc, sadly, or at least, not yet) and they are on rocky bases covered in snow, to represent the mountains of the Ogre Kingdoms. I always play on either Grass (Typical) or Sand (hmm..snow on my base, yet I'm in Tomb King territory).

The basing should be what you want it to be. Are your vampires from the cold, harsh mountains? Give 'em some snow! If you like ash, then do the ash! Basing is just complimentary to the model, imo, so you can't lose :)

Personally, ash sounds cool to me :)

My first priority is too paint my models and then finish the job by doing the basing. I know that I will make it more difficult for me as I have to be even more careful doing the basing in painted models, but I like difficult things :lol:

Ash sounds nice and in my mind Sylvania is a place with ashy grounds...

Disciple of Nagash

The Perverted One
Staff member
I agree with Great Maw - base them in the theme of your army. You could play on loads of different surfaces, so at some point you will be playing on something that doesn't match your bases. It doesn't really matter, as long as you feel good about your models.

You had no news from my and my army but I am waiting for my grave guard models to come. While waiting I am experimenting with colours in order to know how I am going to paint my grave guard. My idea is to paint the robes purple so that I can keep the purple theme of the army. The blades will be painted either glowing green (like warpstone) or glowing red so that they have a magical feeling. As for the armour I would like your opinion as I am between two and to be honest I like more the second one. This is one of the models I have for painting tests (it has suffered a lot my poor Orc :lol:)

proxy.php?image=http%3A%2F%2Fimg687.imageshack.us%2Fimg687%2F2891%2Farmour0028445663.jpg&hash=2ffb2309b843a3db887a665b4260c670

In this focus on the right shoulderpad and not on the gaundlet.
proxy.php?image=http%3A%2F%2Fimg33.imageshack.us%2Fimg33%2F214%2Farmour0099639654.jpg&hash=85a1ae8ce079ff956f298340dd45d6e9

What do you say??? :D

Sanai

Stylish Deviant
True Blood
Glowing red blades would look great, but they mite not fit well with the purple, especially if you object source light the red onto the purple.
Your army looks great. Love the muted colours combined with the purple.

The Dark Sheep

Master Vampire
True Blood
I have to agree with Sanai about the blades; green will probably be better suited for a purple theme. The glowing effect you have achieved there looks good by the way, though it would have been best if you could make the blend even smoother.

Oh and I have to add that the armour looks great as well... :).

Thanks Sanai and Dark Sheep! Green was the first color that came up in my mind, it is just I was thinking if it stands well along with the colour of the armour and the purple robes. But as much as I see it, I think it will look very nice.

As for the blending it was my fifth try with this technique without having in my disposal any drying retarder which makes blending much more enjoyable with nice results. I will try to master this technique as much as I can till I am satisfied! :konrad:

Onikaigo

Vampire Lord
True Blood
Wow. Purple. Argh, my eyes! X_X

Heh. All joking aside, well done. It definitely keeps anyone from snarking your models during a tournament, because you can just look around and see who's got a handful of bright purple plastic/Metal. And then accordingly tackle them.

I like it, overall. Pink/Purple/Psychadelia isn't the first color scheme I'd go with, I've got the traditional blue/red going on myself. IT's nice to see a fresh take on it though.

Keep it up, I'm going to be watching this thread. With my sunglasses on.

Disciple of Nagash

The Perverted One
Staff member
The axe is looking great to me. A very nice glow, and I'm sure as you practise more those layers with blend together perfectly.

Ugrush

Skeleton
Nice looking army you got going! I'm not too sure what to think about the purple ghouls or the blue dire wolf, but you surely have chosen an original theme for the army. (Might just be me beeing a bit conservative on colors :tongue: ) The first thing that came to my attention was the eyes of the dire wolf, sweet! Keep up the good work, I think it will be a stunning army once finished on the tabletop ;)