• Got some models to paint? Want to do it as a challenge in a group who help and encourage each other? Join our Tale of Painters - Third Edition. Any models, any army!

Coven Throne Build

Shadespyre

Vampire Count
As I'm on an ethereal binge, I've started assembling the Coven Throne -well, just the spirit horde mostly.

Q1 - I've completely assembled both sides of the horde, is it worth painting it before assembling the two halves?

Q2 - Thinking ahead, I want to be able to swap Vamps on the throne, but what builds should I be trying to represent. Do people field "caster" vamps on the CT, or always melee wrecking machines? Is it a viable ride for a BSB?

Q3 - has anyone done an interchangeable CT / Mortis Engine, and how hard is it to do?

Ta!

Adam_Barrow

Sleepless Knight
True Blood
RE: Coven Thrown Build

Q2 CT is pretty much the only handy use for a BSB.

cofius

Skeleton

Q1 - i have painted them first, it much more easier that way then to paint them asembled.

Thindol

Grave Guard

Yea. Please. Paint before assembly. It's a real cocksucker to try and paint after. Trust me. If we are following my logic I swallowed a lot of meat to paint mine after I assembled it and it's no where near what I wanted.:innocent:

Theerteen

Cheerful Cranium
True Blood
Q1 - Yep, painting them before connecting the halfs is the way I'd do it again
Q2 - Woohhhh...I never thought about an CT BSB :O gotta play around with some lists!
Q3 - Do you mean switching from one kit, or are you going to build an ME cage from scratch and then magnetize both of the upper parts? Magnetizing the cage isn't so hard, I did it with 4 magnets

Von Calyptra

Black Knight
I agree with everyone else saying to paint before assembly. But you'll have to paint a bit after assembly too, because after you glue the two halves together there will be some gaps you'll need to fill. I also suggest gluing the halves together while dry fitting the throne in place, just to make sure everything's at the right angle.