• It's time once again to ferret out those murderous vampires in a new VAU - Vampires Amongst Us. A cross between Cluedo and a roleplay, sometimes gory and often hilarious! Find out more and sign-up! here.

Drathys

Skeleton
Nov 1, 2011
just bought what i thought was going to be a mortis engine...
Without aiming to be a sycophant, crass how much of your wins do you think was just down to experience and good generalship and how much was the throne being worthwhile?

Johnny-Crass

Vampire Ancient
True Blood
Jan 25, 2012
California
I think all my wins are down to good generalship honestly. I view warhammer like surgery, you have to have the right tool for the job and the skill to use it. The Coven Throne just happens to be one of the tools I have figured out and so I can use it. That is really the reason for my dislike of the mortis engine because as a precises instrument I can not rely on it.

Karthus

Zombie
May 10, 2012
Johnny-Crass said:
Got two games in today with this list. Sadly I forgot to take pictures and then gave up taking notes.

First was against my Beastmen list under my friends control. I have played better games of warhammer I can tell you that much but I managed to squeek a win thanks to the Throne and Killing Blow.
Black Knights and Vampire Lord charged the 206 and the gor horde while Coven Throne pile drived into some bestigor. Now I knew right away this was a mistake as S6 Bestigor with Beastlord hurts as they are normally LD10... But my buddy had taken flaming banner so I was in luck. I chose which combat to work out first and managed to crump the BSB with a well placed killing blow lance :lol: . Then it was the Throne turn and the vampires and handmaidens managed to tear the beastlord a new one, killing him stone dead :happy:. Bestigors then attacked me... Or tried to, you see they failed by 7 and thanks to Primal Fury and S6 they killed well over half the unit and I ran them down. Win Coven Throne and the VC.

Game two was against the Dark Elves from hell, and while it was a far more boring game the Coven Throne managed to cream 40 witches on its lonesome. It was a easier game than the beastmen (cookie cutter DE do not really scare me at all) and I managed to pull a massive win. Getting LD 10, Dark Majesty and hitting LD 7-8 models is just epic with the throne, and hatred/primal fury/ poisen is just gravy.

Whats the cookie cutter DE build? My bro plays him and hes having trouble dealing with vamps just curious what he should be running besides as many hydras as he can fit in XP

Feb 11, 2012
Johnny-Crass said:
Got two games in today with this list. Sadly I forgot to take pictures and then gave up taking notes.

First was against my Beastmen list under my friends control. I have played better games of warhammer I can tell you that much but I managed to squeek a win thanks to the Throne and Killing Blow.
Black Knights and Vampire Lord charged the 206 and the gor horde while Coven Throne pile drived into some bestigor. Now I knew right away this was a mistake as S6 Bestigor with Beastlord hurts as they are normally LD10... But my buddy had taken flaming banner so I was in luck. I chose which combat to work out first and managed to crump the BSB with a well placed killing blow lance :lol: . Then it was the Throne turn and the vampires and handmaidens managed to tear the beastlord a new one, killing him stone dead :happy:. Bestigors then attacked me... Or tried to, you see they failed by 7 and thanks to Primal Fury and S6 they killed well over half the unit and I ran them down. Win Coven Throne and the VC.

Game two was against the Dark Elves from hell, and while it was a far more boring game the Coven Throne managed to cream 40 witches on its lonesome. It was a easier game than the beastmen (cookie cutter DE do not really scare me at all) and I managed to pull a massive win. Getting LD 10, Dark Majesty and hitting LD 7-8 models is just epic with the throne, and hatred/primal fury/ poisen is just gravy.

You say Getting LD10, how are you getting LD 10 when the vamps LD is only 7. And also, why do you run your Vampire as a BsB, just curious.

Feb 11, 2012
I gotcha, very sneaky :D. So do you just use the Coven as a General hunter then? And another question, do all of the -ld effects hit units before or after they get there generals IP, so say i rammed this into a unit, would they get there Generals LD THEN the minus, or would it just be there generals Unmodified LD?

And im curious what Lore you run on him. LvL2 Death?

Johnny-Crass

Vampire Ancient
True Blood
Jan 25, 2012
California
I run heavens on him due to sig. I also run a level 4 death. Per the faq all modifiers stack with the generals IP so you would subract after. And I use it to hunt hordes

Count Darvaleth

I <3 marmite
True Blood
Apr 26, 2010
Wouldn't the Coven Throne work great synergy with the Nightshroud? Seeing as the base is so big, everyone trying to attack you will be ASL and losing their weapon benefits. White Lions would throw a real tantrum.

EDIT: Goddamit Yorga, every time I see one of your posts I have to stop and look for a little while.

Count Darvaleth

I <3 marmite
True Blood
Apr 26, 2010
I guess if they're attacking themselves you want them to hit each other with all their weapons... not sure how Charmed Shield could protect the Throne from a cannonball (isn't the hit randomised before saves?), but if it makes you feel better. :tongue:

Yorga

Vampire Count
True Blood
Apr 7, 2011
Count Darvaleth said:
Wouldn't the Coven Throne work great synergy with the Nightshroud? Seeing as the base is so big, everyone trying to attack you will be ASL and losing their weapon benefits. White Lions would throw a real tantrum.

EDIT: Goddamit Yorga, every time I see one of your posts I have to stop and look for a little while.

I found the Nightshroud to be very effective on the Coven throne BSB. It allowed me to skip quickblood on the Vamp and even lets the spirit host attack before the enemy. This is huge if you have Mindrazor on the throne. :thumbsup:

And yes Darvy, Veronica WAS one of the classic beauties of the age of the Silver Screen. :cool:

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

Quick Navigation

User Menu