• Roll-up! Roll-up! Come one and all the fantastic Turning the World to Darkness painting competition. Welcome to any skill level, you can find out more here.
  • It's time once again to ferret out those murderous vampires in a new VAU - Vampires Amongst Us. A cross between Cluedo and a roleplay, sometimes gory and often hilarious! Find out more here.

Custom Warhammer Chess Set

Draemock

Grave Guard
Hey all, I'm putting plans together to make a Chess Set using Vampire Counts and Empire as Respective Black and White pieces. What I am struggling with is what to use Model wise. I was thinking of possibly using Warrior's of Chaos or Tomb King's instead of The Empire. But lore wise, The Empire fits better I think.

I'm going to be using 40mm x 40mm Bases, as if I used the 20mm ones it would be way to small a set. Plus the 40's give me way more options in terms of Modelling.

So Far I am thinking of the following for the pieces

Vampire Counts:
King - Vlad / Winged Vamp lord
Queen - Isabella / Female Vampire Lord
Bishop - Necromancer
Knight - Cairn Wraith / Hexwraith (if I can get it to fit on the base)
Rook - Wight King
Pawn's - Skeleton Warrior's with Spear's and Shields

I am stuck on what to use for Empire Pieces.

Empire:
King -
Queen - Battle Wizard
Bishop - Warrior Priest
Knight -
Rook -
Pawn's - Empire Crossbowmen ?

I am open to suggestions, I am not familiar with Empire at all so any help on these choices would be great.

What do you guys think of the Idea? When I get to the point of starting, ill do a painting log and the like.....hopefully soon :) Money at is getting stupid :(

For knights I would go for black knights instead of hexwraiths and reiksguard/knightly orders for empire, making them fit is simply a matter of posing them diagonally upwards as if rearing up. The empire general and hero kit would make a suitable king and queen, moving the empire wizard to bishop so you have symmetry with the necromancer across the board, and have the warrior priest as the rook. I would suggest state troopers with spears or swords as pawns, again for the symmetry with the skeleton pawns.

Banat

Varghulf
Cannon and Demigryphs would be unlikely to fit on the bases, however a Master Engineer would work as your Rook I think, since he kind of represents the cannon side of things. Use a Greatsword as a Knight. I would think Handgunners would look cool as pawns.

One second...
*Grabs Undead 4th edition*

Grand Theogonist Wilhelm III (#1 foe of Vlad - died along with Vlad, mutually impaled)
Ludwig of Altdorf(Claimant to the Throne)
Felix Mann (Stole the ring)

Draemock

Grave Guard
I really like the idea of using Wilhelm and Ludwig of Altdorf, Though im not sure about Felix Mann. Im not entirely sure id find a model worthy enough of such a prestiguous thief!

I hadnt really though of that point in Vampire History, though if I use Vlad.....its perfect!

For knights I would go for black knights instead of hexwraiths and reiksguard/knightly orders for empire, making them fit is simply a matter of posing them diagonally upwards as if rearing up. The empire general and hero kit would make a suitable king and queen, moving the empire wizard to bishop so you have symmetry with the necromancer across the board, and have the warrior priest as the rook. I would suggest state troopers with spears or swords as pawns, again for the symmetry with the skeleton pawns.
+1
I think this chess set is an awesome idea, and I'd like to see it worked out with other armies as well. I agree that black knights with lances would probably suit better for knights than hexwraiths. If you find you can't get the model to fit on the base and need something on foot, then grave guard may fit the role a little better than cairn wraiths. I think the state troops with spears symmetry with the skeletons as well as empire wizards with necromancers are good ideas. If you had something more along the lines of flagellants for Empire pawns, then zombies or ghouls may counter in aesthetics a little better.

Great idea!

I think for empire, it will look better if the Empire chess pieces are obvious comparisons of the corresponding undead chess pieces. What I mean is:

King: Vlad - Wilhelm III
Queen: Isabella - ???
Bishop: Necromancer - Battle Wizard
Knight: Black Knight - Reiksguard (or white wolf)
Rook: Wight King - Warrior Priest
Pawn: Skeleton Swordsman - Empire Swordsman

I think picking similar models and posing them similarly on the bases would go far in terms of making it look uniform in terms of living vs dead.

Also, recommend using 40 mm ROUND bases, and maybe prop them up on a plinth or something with a black and white rim around it to make it a bit easier to distinguish.

OH, and a board modeled as terrain would look sweet! Flock vs dirt for black vs white spaces?