• Roll-up! Roll-up! Come one and all the fantastic Turning the World to Darkness painting competition. Welcome to any skill level, you can find out more here.
  • It's time once again to ferret out those murderous vampires in a new VAU - Vampires Amongst Us. A cross between Cluedo and a roleplay, sometimes gory and often hilarious! Find out more here.

Daemons, 2250 points. 8th edition thoughts

Danceman

The Devil in Pale Moonlight
True Blood
Commentary in italics

Characters: 785

Great Unclean One; level 3: 560
- mucus
Right, bit tight on points here but this one is potentially one hell of a juggernaught. Infatry as are faster and with M6 + 2D6 charge it is not going to be very easy to avoid this creature. Add in the 'Crush' wounds which are D6 hits with base strength, 10 wounds with mucus he's going to be quite able to dish out the pain. With 25% cap on lords I only got 25 points on gifts and mucus for the way I intend to use him works best but I am open for ideas!

Tzeentch Herald; MoSorcery, Corona; Chariot: 225
Support mage and annoyence. MoS is a given these days, as Glean magic is going to be very useful indeed. Corona + chariot means he can deal with 'mini' units quite effectively as well.

CORE: 770

24 Plaguebearers; Banner, Musician; Seeping Decay: 325
24 Plaguebearers; Banner; Musician; Seeping Decay: 325
Arranged in 6x4 to make the most of attacks but not losing ranks and so on. Pretty standard stuff in 8th I am sure.

10 Horrors: 120
Boring as hell I know, might just be switched to daemonettes. I5 on the flanks with M6 is pretty damn useful.

SPEC: 500

10 Flesh Hounds: 350
5-6 long and the rest get put in the back rank. Model count is important and combats brutal affairs. This unit allows me to be both brutal and resilient.

5 Screamers: 150
Dealing out the hurt while not sticking around for combats, sure why not. Not much else to say about these, fly over units and try not get caught :tongue:

RARE:

5 Flamers: 175
Shaving off ranks and generally being annoying... Like they usually are...

TOTAL: 2242

Any thoughts or ideas?

MasterSpark

Nostalgian
Staff member
True Blood
Have there been any rumours speaking of an increase in non-herald Plaguebearer performance? I know that large units in general are in for a boost, but I still doubt the performance of your investment in those large blocks of Plaguebearers... but then again, they do go well with that Great Unclean One. ;)

I'd look into exchanging one of those units out for some Bloodletters instead (though I may be biased, being something of a 'Letter fanboy) for some added hitting power, but either way I think your list looks good. I'd try to fit a few Furies into your list myself, but I doubt they'd be essential. The Burning Chariot is a nice touch, although its loss of rank-breaking (if it comes true) is a shame..

Anyway, about the Master of Sorcery, the GW FAQ states that the gift does not grant the Herald knowledge of the Daemon Lore of Tzeentch. Whether or not to follow that is entirely up to you and your buddies though. :)

Danceman

True Blood
Ah, good catch with MoSorcery... Why do I keep forgetting that!? I'll just switch it around to a scroll, or possibly Flames.

As for the PBs, the saves in the 8th are either ward or regen I think adding in a herald will be rather pointless. There are talk of various levels of regen so who knows.

MasterSpark

Nostalgian
Staff member
True Blood
I wouldn't necessarily write off the Master of Sorcery gift - having access to an entire Lore of Magic should still be a useful tool, giving you some added flexibility. A Herald on his Chariot is able to use pretty much any spell to good effect with his speed and manouverability, after all. :)

Danceman

True Blood
Very true the basic Tzeentch spell and flames are pretty good in combination but yes, who knows what fun I'll be able to have with the new lores :vampire3:

Also, forgot to mention. The speeping banner with 2 rank fighting is awesome, did a few simulations and it really does a lot of difference. I am however sort of dubious about my small horror unit but on the other hand it is nice to keep a well rounded list with a bit of tzeentch elements as well but we'll see. My lists are in constant development! As silly as it may seem I am quite excited about the 8th edition, new kind of game and a whole world of tactical and strategic elements to explore. Which is why I want to try out this 6x4 PB unit. 12 poisoned attacks which re-rolls to wound as well as T4 with 5+ ward is not going to be that easy to kill off! I am even putting my VC on vacation for this... Daemons, I have to say, are a load of fun to model(will provide pics when I can, my GUO will hopefully turn a few heads!).

Zanos

Vampire Count
True Blood
My GUO got knocked off the table at an apocalypse battle by careless players, and now I'm missing a leg. It sucks. Anyway, tell me how the big blocks of plaguebearers do, I've had good experiences with slimetrail/vapors pally heralds in 5X4 blocks, havent tried them without a herald though.

MasterSpark

Nostalgian
Staff member
True Blood
Danceman said:
As silly as it may seem I am quite excited about the 8th edition, new kind of game and a whole world of tactical and strategic elements to explore.
I'm with you there, buddy. :)

Fodderboy

Master Necromancer
True Blood
What are you using to run simulations? Something home-brewed, or downloadable goodness?

Danceman

True Blood
No, just playing it against different units and basic mathhammer. Nothing fancy but I liked the results. With the extra attacks effects which grants re-rolls and modifiers really do make a significant difference. Banners like Banner of Barrows and Royal Banner of Strigos is going to be a real benefit to our units, especially in conjunction with Helm of Commandment.

For example for our VC 2 x units of 20-25(preferbly 25) GG with RBoS and BoB and a HoCommandment vampire nearby is going to be very VERY hard units to break apart.