• Roll-up! Roll-up! Come one and all the fantastic Turning the World to Darkness painting competition. Welcome to any skill level, you can find out more here.
  • It's time once again to ferret out those murderous vampires in a new VAU - Vampires Amongst Us. A cross between Cluedo and a roleplay, sometimes gory and often hilarious! Find out more here.

Dan Abnett

ironlord

Black Knight
It seems that im getting the chance to meet this fellow tomorrow as he is on a UK book tour at the moment and apparently he will be able to answer questions, any ideas of questions?

I have a few of my own, but I was wondering if you would have any?

doombunny666

Black Knight
Get him to sign something I did when he was at GW epsom that way you can sell it in £50 years and make some money!

The Dark Sheep

Master Vampire
True Blood
Ask him whether there will be any more Darkblade books, and in that case when will he and Mike Lee start working on it (them). I've been waiting for a sequel to this awesome series ever since I first heard a vague rumour ages ago.

Gree

Master Vampire
True Blood
Ask him what he had in mind about Brothers of the Snake, god, I hated that book so much.

ironlord

Black Knight
ok well i managed to see said dan abnett today, i got a lift up with my little brother who was really just there to buy a basilisk (but more on that on a later date)

let me start by saying that the man has a heart of gold, seriously, he has a strange aura of calm that seems to radiate, hes in control simply by being there, but he doesnt dominate... its the strangest thing ever... maybe its his funky beard

i did manage to get some books signed, my brother got a signature on our copy of the founding omnibus (caching! here we come ebay!)
i also think that santa has managed to find a copy of blookback thats been signed for me too ;)
and as is customary for an imperial guardsman i presented my copy of the departmento munitorum's handbook to be signed by a senior officer (it was either that or get my face blown off by a commisar's bolt pistol)

as for the questions, i asked about the darkblade series because i loved those books too and he wants to work on some more!
Although he admits that there are problems when it comes too working with Mike Lee (its nothing personal he just lives on the other side of a big bit of water called the pacific!) he says that he is working to get their timetables in sinc to free up time to write another series of five books, the first of which is being started next year and shipped out (hopefully) the year after

as for brotherhood of the snake, he says that he is working on a sequel novel for some time soon...

he mentioned he was doing another inquisitor trilogy to go with Eisenhorn and Ravenor and i think he said something about it being Eisenhorn Vs Ravenor...

I also asked if he preffered Sci Fi or Fantasy and the answer was:
Sci Fi, but he admitted that every now and then he gets a craving for fantasy, he tangented to mention that he is getting his fix right now by writing his next contribution too the Horus Heresy novels. Apparently he is resposible for the Space Wolves Vs Thousand Sons novel and has said that there is so much magic and great big nasty melee weapons that it may as well be a fantasy title.

I asked him to expand a bit more on the space wolves and he said simply that the Space Wolves were a hard army to write, they work well on tabletop because of their strong theme but he had a hard time characterising them. When I asked if he had made a race of space vikings he said that he kind of had, but not exactly.
The were simply alien warriors that did the whole "mead drinking contests in a long house then went out the next day with a big axe and a beard to kill things".

He also revealed that the Gaunt's Ghosts novels weren't as a deliberate as many people thought. They origionated as a series of short stories which Black Library wanted turned into a first novel. Dan said no, he wanted to do the actual founding part of the legion then use the short stories as a second novel.

I left shortly before he did and realised that I had gained a valuable insight into the novel writing mind of one of the greatest writers working in the Black Library today. If he shows up in your town I would suggest you show up too because he is a realy nice guy who you really should try and see and maybe even have a chat with him. He is as blue collar as it gets, working hard to fire out 3 novels a year and really enjoys his work.

The Dark Sheep

Master Vampire
True Blood
ironlord said:
...he says that he is working to get their timetables in sinc to free up time to write another series of five books, the first of which is being started next year and shipped out (hopefully) the year after...
This is where I stopped reading, and instead started writing this post...

Great news. I had only expected to see one book, but another five? Yes please! This will definitely bring new meaning to my life and, I can't wait till the year after next year... Thank you Ironlord :).

Disciple of Nagash

The Perverted One
Staff member
Thanks very much for the feedback Ironlord. I still need to read the rest of the Gaunt's Ghosts novels. I have read the ones up until where they defend that remains of the Sabbat Matyr? What books are there after that?

ironlord

Black Knight
Disciple of Nagash said:
Thanks very much for the feedback Ironlord. I still need to read the rest of the Gaunt's Ghosts novels. I have read the ones up until where they defend that remains of the Sabbat Matyr? What books are there after that?
quite a lot actually i think thats only the second set of books, you still have the books where a small chunk of ghosts form an elite strike team and get dropped onto a chaos world to assassinate a traitor general with some secrets locked in his head, only for them to be stuck on the world and helping the local resistance
then you have gaunt's fight to retain the ghosts when he returns as the commanders fear that he has the taint of chaos in him
and then you have the newer books when he has to fight the blood pack more directly
so i think you may have about 8-12 to go, i would check but im a little lazy at the moment

Disciple of Nagash

The Perverted One
Staff member
Sounds like quite a lot. If anyone has a list of what I'm missing I would appreciate it, I'll then start hunting them down on amazon or ebay.

doombunny666

Black Knight
I loved Brothers of the Snake proper marines i actually didnt want them all to die pointlessley I wanted deaths with meaning like the Ghosts when i read Black Reach i vomited how badly the Marines survived. For instance a Marine gets riddled with MG rounds and gets back up I mean WTF!

Disciple of Nagash

The Perverted One
Staff member
Cheers for that Oph - looks like I have a lot to buy! Still Gunhearts has got me back in the 40k mood, so might look to get the books.