• Roll-up! Roll-up! Come one and all the fantastic Turning the World to Darkness painting competition. Welcome to any skill level, you can find out more here.
  • It's time once again to ferret out those murderous vampires in a new VAU - Vampires Amongst Us. A cross between Cluedo and a roleplay, sometimes gory and often hilarious! Find out more here.

Dark Eldar on the Way.

Sanai

Stylish Deviant
True Blood
A teaser that is pretty obviously about the Dark Eldar is up on the GW website.

Rumours say that there are no completely new units and that characters without models are getting trimmed out of the codex (like what was done with guard/tyranids/gray knights/etc).

Expect existing units without models to get models.

There are a lot more rumours around, but most of it is from BoLS or Faeit, which are incredibly unreliable sources so I won't repost the full body of rumours here unless someone reliable posts or pictures are leaked.

Sanai

Stylish Deviant
True Blood
It also helped that the Wracks on the cover look different to the finecast wracks.

Von Calyptra

Black Knight
Expect existing units without models to get models.
Existing units without models would be the Voidraven, most of the special characters, and arguably Trueborn and Bloodbrides. I suppose a case could also be made for the single pose Grotesque model. Am I forgetting anything?

I've seen a number of rumors claiming that, with the exception of Vect, all special characters without models (aka most of them) will be cut from the new book.

I started playing Dark Eldar in 1998. As such, I only believe GW are releasing anything at all ever for the Dark Eldar when I actually see it.

Sanai

Stylish Deviant
True Blood
Now available to pre-order from the GW website:
proxy.php?image=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.games-workshop.com%2Fresources%2Fcatalog%2Fproduct%2F600x620%2F99070112002_Haemonculus01.jpg&hash=15aa0d3abceca6f8d861c4aeb175fd63

proxy.php?image=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.games-workshop.com%2Fresources%2Fcatalog%2Fproduct%2F600x620%2F99120112021_DarkEldarWracks04.jpg&hash=44a7c3c6de5352c9b1f9048a25685f85

proxy.php?image=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.games-workshop.com%2Fresources%2Fcatalog%2Fproduct%2F920x950%2F99120112021_DarkEldarWracks01.jpg&hash=2f048e714794c071e3a30a398b770786
proxy.php?image=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.games-workshop.com%2Fresources%2Fcatalog%2Fproduct%2F920x950%2F99120112021_DarkEldarWracks07.jpg&hash=67a6a6a8caf49e9666c529bbec79ab51

I love how the Wrack kit has parts to convert the wracks into pilots/gunners for the raider/ravager, that is really handy for people who want to make a Coven army.

Von Calyptra

Black Knight
I agree. And it looks like they can get power mauls now? In addition to whatever the heck the ossefactor does. (Presumably some sort of bone growth effecting gun.)

Why the heck aren't they releasing the new codex first? Even if I bought these now, I'd be an idiot to assemble them without knowing what their new rules are.

Sanai

Stylish Deviant
True Blood
Why the heck aren't they releasing the new codex first? Even if I bought these now, I'd be an idiot to assemble them without knowing what their new rules are.
Thats just how they do it. The codex doesn't come until the last wave of new stuff comes out, to avoid the codex giving spoilers as to what the releases are before they come out.

Remember however, that the White Dwarf released at the same time as the models contains the rules for those models, so you can see what their options are and what they do that way.

Von Calyptra

Black Knight
Remember however, that the White Dwarf released at the same time as the models contains the rules for those models, so you can see what their options are and what they do that way.
My understanding is that the White Dwarf does not contain the rules. It does list the melee options only for the Acothyst only. Power mauls aren't on that list, so maybe they're a unit upgrade? The hex rifle, liquifier, and ossefactor remain mysterious.

Sanai

Stylish Deviant
True Blood
The unit doesn't have power mauls afaik. Sometimes a big spiky club is just a big spikey club.

Alastor

Black Knight
Historically, if the models are released before the new codex then the rules are printed in WD. Take the space marine flyers for instance.

Someone on the Dark Eldar forum seemingly has the White Dwarf and it does not contain the rules.

The unit doesn't have power mauls afaik. Sometimes a big spiky club is just a big spikey club.
There was a rumour that wracks were getting a power maul, presumably because of this - a weapon that has the design of, and is painted to look like, a power maul. However, the finecast versions had the same weapon without the option to take power mauls, so it may just be a non-whip agoniser.

Sanai

Stylish Deviant
True Blood
It does look more like an agonizer/shock prod type of thing than a power maul.

Sanai

Stylish Deviant
True Blood
Pictures have leaked of a new plastic Archon, with pistol & Huskblade, as have pictures of the Voidraven bomber, which looks like a bigger razorwing with 4 engines and a longer nose. Its hard to tell because the pics are blurry, but it appears to have a second cockpit/canopy thing in the nose (like a bombardiers position?)

Danceman

The Devil in Pale Moonlight
True Blood
...but it appears to have a second cockpit/canopy thing in the nose (like a bombardiers position?)
Yepp. The current 'dex it describes the gunner sitting seperately from the pilot, being the true maestro of destruction(or something like that).

Feels so strange this, waiting 10+ years for a new codex, and we're already getting an update.

John Rainbow

Crypt Horror
Voidraven looks awesome. New archon less so but I'll reserve judgement until I see the models. I thought the Plague Drones looked awful in pics. Turns out they are awesome in real life.

Von Calyptra

Black Knight
Voidraven looks awesome. New archon less so but I'll reserve judgement until I see the models. I thought the Plague Drones looked awful in pics. Turns out they are awesome in real life.
It's kind of amazing to me how often that's the case - where I'm meh, or even dislike a model in the photos, but then completely change my mind about it when I see it in person.

Fortunately, the reverse is almost never true. The only case I can think of where I liked the models in photos and then disliked them in person are the genestealers in 3rd ed Space Hulk.

I'm really not sure how I feel about the new Archon model. Particularly the positioning of his feet and legs.

John Rainbow

Crypt Horror
Yeah we'll see. Although I think my previous post was actually talking about a succubus model which was new. Maybe... rumours after all...

Anyway we'll find out soon!

Also, the cover for the new book is weird. The angles on the arms just look wrong.

Sanai

Stylish Deviant
True Blood
proxy.php?image=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.games-workshop.com%2Fresources%2F%2Fblogs%2F2014%2F09%2F26%2F1VB35.jpg&hash=0bb655a9531051e25a4a206307fb0b27

Picture of the voidraven from the GW website.
I'm really not sure what to think about the Voidraven. Doesn't look as sexy as the razowing does, even though it looks very similar in design to the razorwing. I think it might be the nose or something.

Also, I am wondering if those tribal looking designs are painted on, or if they are transfers. It would be pretty amazing if they were transfers included in the box.

I think it might be the nose or something.
For me, it's the combination of slightly too long a nose and the central fins.

I prefer these two conversions:
proxy.php?image=http%3A%2F%2Fasset-1.soup.io%2Fasset%2F5880%2F0953_1e70.jpeg&hash=4a6c3663e998dfd8ed07e417f4e9f188

proxy.php?image=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.librarium-online.com%2Fforums%2Fattachments%2Fdark-eldar%2F16603d1336703857-voidraven-bomber-vd-top.jpg&hash=d8f0d25858042874531c985de6313415

Also, I am wondering if those tribal looking designs are painted on, or if they are transfers. It would be pretty amazing if they were transfers included in the box.
Other DE vehicles by the in-house team have similar designs, and they're painted on. DE vehicles do come with transfers, but they're small and mostly faction logos, so I'm fairly sure the tribal designs are painted.