• It's time once again to ferret out those murderous vampires in a new VAU - Vampires Amongst Us. A cross between Cluedo and a roleplay, sometimes gory and often hilarious! Find out more and sign-up! here.

Seneschal

Liche
True Blood
May 15, 2008
Terrorgheists, hexwraiths, even banshees if they get close.
Do the crushers have magical attacks? You could park a spirit host in front of them if not.
Casket of souls if you are using TK models.

Caillum

Zombie
Oct 28, 2012
Australia
Been facing these myself lately. On the weekend, my mate used Doom & Darkness and a Terrorgheist to take down a unit of 3 in 1 turn. :)

Also, Crypt Horrors can receive a charge from them and not give up too much CR. Skullcrushers have poor Static Combat Res, so get some rank or flank bonuses to break them once they're tied up.

Also, Frenzy means you can bait them VERY easily. Put a unit of bats at their extreme charge range, just inside their charge arc. They will sometimes fail their test and go nowhere.

But all this is situational. They're tough to deal with. :/

Banat

Varghulf
Jul 13, 2014
@Seneschal, any cw player in his right mind will give gist skullcrushers ensorcelled weapons so yeah they have magical attacks.

I was thinking a forbidden lore vampire on metal with searing doom. He would earn his points back pretty quickly against a chaos warrior army. i don't tend to use TGs, i fill my rare with casket and heirotitan as i play a fairly summoning heavy game and want that magic support.

Archamedius

Grave Guard
Jul 25, 2014
@Seneschal, any cw player in his right mind will give gist skullcrushers ensorcelled weapons so yeah they have magical attacks.

I was thinking a forbidden lore vampire on metal with searing doom. He would earn his points back pretty quickly against a chaos warrior army. i don't tend to use TGs, i fill my rare with casket and heirotitan as i play a fairly summoning heavy game and want that magic support.

I would think that is a serious waste of points. There are really only two spells that would help you against skull crushers in the metal list. And both are easily dispelled. The rest of the lore is somewhat situational. Enchanted blades is really good, transmutation of lead and Glittering Robes can be good, but are. Plague of Rust is about useless as it directly conflicts with Searing Doom and Golden Hounds (reducing armor makes those spells more difficult to wound) and final transmuatation is very situational. It works great against horde infantry units, but is rather underwhelming for the casting cost and results. Still, its probably one of the cheapest # 6 spells of any of the lores.

I think for VC, you are much better abusing the LD 8 of the unit with screams, or using hexwraiths and their fly over attack. Or feed it successive units of spirit hosts or dire wolves to keep it locked in a corner away from your army.

John Rainbow

Crypt Horror
Mar 7, 2013
PA, USA
I would think that is a serious waste of points. There are really only two spells that would help you against skull crushers in the metal list. And both are easily dispelled. The rest of the lore is somewhat situational. Enchanted blades is really good, transmutation of lead and Glittering Robes can be good, but are. Plague of Rust is about useless as it directly conflicts with Searing Doom and Golden Hounds (reducing armor makes those spells more difficult to wound) and final transmuatation is very situational. It works great against horde infantry units, but is rather underwhelming for the casting cost and results. Still, its probably one of the cheapest # 6 spells of any of the lores.

I think for VC, you are much better abusing the LD 8 of the unit with screams, or using hexwraiths and their fly over attack. Or feed it successive units of spirit hosts or dire wolves to keep it locked in a corner away from your army.
+1 on these ideas

TMS

Staff member
True Blood
Nov 26, 2008
Sweden
Plague of Rust is about useless as it directly conflicts with Searing Doom and Golden Hounds (reducing armor makes those spells more difficult to wound)

Just a quick little point here, I'm pretty sure that the lore attribute says you wound the enemy on their unmodified armour saves. Plague of rust gives a permanent modifier to the save but it is ignored by searing doom.

I don't have the book anywhere around to check but I think that's right.

Demian

Vampire Count
Oct 28, 2011
You are right! It does say unmodified armor save (even though some equipment modify the original armor save, but it clears it up with the example of a heavily armored knight riding on a barded horse being 2+)

So.. Lore of Metal? still viable! Too bad that Asaph archers don't benefit from Enchanted Blades, but Grave Guard does! Skellies can benefit from Glittering Robe. Transmutation of Lead is the worst we can use. Also, casting Plague of Rust on a Daemon Prince several times (1-3) makes him very vulnerable to ghoul/crypt Horror's attacks.

Warriors of Chaos < Terrorgheist

That's the truth of it, although infernal cannons can cause some damage. Yep, apply a V. Lord or flank them with cavalry of your own. It doesn't matter if they have ensorcelled weapons or not... the beasts themselves are Daemonic, and have magical attacks (and hit very very hard).

Fell Bats and Dire Wolves can keep those dudes busy all day and away from the battle until you can destroy them.

This is the very example of "we don't win by overpowering, we win by cunning" that our army has to offer.

Reactions: Alastor

HERO

Wight King
Mar 25, 2009
Screaming it to death is a very good idea, as is the new Casket of Souls you have access to.

Seneschal

Liche
True Blood
May 15, 2008
Banat, don't send the hex wraiths into combat, use their striding ability. ;-)

Bullhax

Vampire Count
True Blood
Sep 12, 2011
Abuse frenzy apply blender lord, screams and/or Casket of Souls, what ever fits your style/list. Smile as his expensive unit melts, only killing off some bats/DW's.

bigbadbat

Harbinger of Dandelions
True Blood
Jun 14, 2012
Minneapolis, MN area
Best bet is to apply some redirectors I.e. bats, wolves, etc.. Force him to overrun showing you his flank. Then hit him with just about anything. Profit.
About a prior post in this thread, not all WoC players use ensorcelled weapons. They can be a liability with that Banner of the World Dragon running around.
Also, as Seneschal said, run through them with Hexies. Should kill one a turn. And if you VHDM too, you can kill more!

najo

Mortarch of the Dark Soul
True Blood
Dec 23, 2012
Oregon
Best bet is to apply some redirectors I.e. bats, wolves, etc.. Force him to overrun showing you his flank. Then hit him with just about anything. Profit.
About a prior post in this thread, not all WoC players use ensorcelled weapons. They can be a liability with that Banner of the World Dragon running around.
Also, as Seneschal said, run through them with Hexies. Should kill one a turn. And if you VHDM too, you can kill more!
Mmmmmmm......VHDM + Hexies..... Good stuff....mmmm

Alabaster427

Minister of Thriftiness
Dec 9, 2013
I had a unit of direwolves kill a skullcrusher once (not the whole unit, just one model) while on the flank. His reaction was similar to the original post. TGs will deal about 5 wounds on average if it has full wounds. There's nothing like a boxcar scream, regardless of what you're screaming at.

HERO

Wight King
Mar 25, 2009
I had a unit of direwolves kill a skullcrusher once (not the whole unit, just one model) while on the flank. His reaction was similar to the original post. TGs will deal about 5 wounds on average if it has full wounds. There's nothing like a boxcar scream, regardless of what you're screaming at.

Aura + double-scream :D

Grok

Ghoul
Sep 8, 2014
Redirect with dire wolf units. With frenzy they have to overrun, so its really easy to lead them around. Do similar tricks with fell bat units. Get them in a good position and move the hexwraiths thru the crushers, should hurt them pretty bad. Then follow up with a scream or two :). They are a major threat from the Warriors so don't be afraid to focus fire on them to take them down.

You could also just continue to feed them our rediculously cheap chaff and deal with the rest of the army.

I have found the trick to facing warriors is focus fire. With multi-wound units like crushers you need multiple options lined up to garuntee you kill them.

Banat

Varghulf
Jul 13, 2014
What's the skullcrushers WS and toughness? Would you want to load your Blender up with the Ogre Blade (+2 Str) or Obsidian Blade (ignores armour saves)? I would have thought the latter would be good when playing Chaos Warriors.

Caillum

Zombie
Oct 28, 2012
Australia
Yeah, Obsidian Blade is actually better than Ogre Blade against 1+ saves. With re-rolls and Red Fury, a Blender Lord will do 3.67 unsaved wounds against the Skullcrushers with Ogre Blade, but 4.71 with Obsidian Blade! But most people won't use it, as Strength 7 with a -4 armour save is normally more useful than Strength 5 with no armour save.

Terrorgheist is the way to go. Another game against Warriors on the weekend saw mine take out a Gorebeast Chariot, 3 Skullcrushers and a bunch of Tzeentch Warriors! If they don't have Hellcannons or Infernal Gateway, you can fly it anywhere you need it. :)

Banat

Varghulf
Jul 13, 2014
Can you mathammer the Terrorgheist for me? Without it's thunderstomps and with its WS3 I don't see how it can really be that awesome against them? What is the LD comparison between a skullcrusher and a TG?

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

Quick Navigation

User Menu