• Roll-up! Roll-up! Come one and all the fantastic Turning the World to Darkness painting competition. Welcome to any skill level, you can find out more here.
  • It's time once again to ferret out those murderous vampires in a new VAU - Vampires Amongst Us. A cross between Cluedo and a roleplay, sometimes gory and often hilarious! Find out more here.

Do you win all the time?

Pulimuli said:
Im getting DRAW all the time, i win some and lose some but the most common outcome is a draw

I lost to Daemons of Chaos though, the Blood Thirster is impossible to kill and its just sick in every way
My friend who plays VC also took it down with vamp on dragon. He had already wound it with magic thou but you have to bring something big in my opinion to take it down.

Pulimuli

Wight King
Kendo said:
Pulimuli said:
Im getting DRAW all the time, i win some and lose some but the most common outcome is a draw

I lost to Daemons of Chaos though, the Blood Thirster is impossible to kill and its just sick in every way
My friend who plays VC also took it down with vamp on dragon. He had already wound it with magic thou but you have to bring something big in my opinion to take it down.
Yeah atlest when playing VC, Elves and Empire can shoot it down with artillery/bolt throwers whilst its near impossible for close combat armies to kill it.

It has magic resistance 2!, so you'll be lucky to wound it with magic. Its probably protected by and Obsidian Armor (you cannot use magic weapons in close combat to hit it) So you pretty much has to kill it with your bare hands. It should have no problem killing a zombie dragon, but as you said it was already wounded but you have to have a buckload of luck to kill it.(It has always strike first, so it has to be pretty wounded for a dragon to kill it)

Something that might work is : Forbidden lore - bears anger, nightshroud, flying horror,dark acolyte. You'll have a S7 T6 A7 always strike first vampire, which is the same as a Blood Thirster.

Lord Fear

Master Vampire
True Blood
That probably won't work as a decent Daemon player will know to save dispel dice for the casting of the Bear's Anger, safe in the knowledge that if he stops it, he wins the game. It's not the same as a Bloodthirster either, as the BT has higher WS and always has the re-roll to hit gift, and a 5+ ward save as well. I wouldn't risk my Lord unless it was alreadt wounded...

Zephyr

Master Necromancer
True Blood
I win a lot more in this edition then with the first VC book. Out of fifteen battles so far I've lost only three so far but to be fully honest I also had some draws.

Tal Rasha

Grave Guard
I have never lost and have only tied like twice. Every game other than that has been a massacre on my part (out of 50 something games or more). The new magic phase is very crazy powerful.

Disciple of Nagash

The Perverted One
Staff member
Tal Rasha said:
I have never lost and have only tied like twice. Every game other than that has been a massacre on my part (out of 50 something games or more). The new magic phase is very crazy powerful.
That would get boring for me - why not try going more combat heavy. Much more difficult but more rewarding if you can pull it off.

Pulimuli

Wight King
Ive played like 5 games in the past 2-3 weeks and i won 4 of them by massacre, so im gonna mix it up abit in the future. It became quite boring winning like that (and the opponent whining at me raising my blood knights)

N1AK

Vampire Count
True Blood
I think I've played around 50 games with the VC, mostly competitive games. I can't remember the exact ratio but it'd be close to 3W:2D:1L.

Onikaigo

Vampire Lord
True Blood
I've only lost once, and Drawn twice since I moved here to Japan. I've played, oh, prolly 20, 25 games since I got here. Three to four games every saturday I can make the full day. =P

Granted, the players aren't that great....(See my other thread, Player to Player issues),

But all experience is good experience. My VC's are ONLY beaten by heavy Khorne/Slaneesh Daemons, which the BT and Flesh hounds did a lot of the work.

I'm trying to find a skilled player base to play, as the players here just....well, they're not as difficult, and at times not nearly as fun to play as the group back in the states.

I can't speak for my VC yet, but I maintain an 85% or higher win rate with all my armies (ogre kingdoms, brettonians, tomb kings, daemons). The ogres has been going over 3 years and over 200 games now too...

Disciple of Nagash

The Perverted One
Staff member
An 85% win rate with ogres - either your a damn good player........or your opponents are quite poor xD I'm assuming it's the former.

Onikaigo

Vampire Lord
True Blood
Damn. I've yet to win a game with ogres that wasn't against a Piss poor, but very, very amusing player.

I played a game against the local Ogre player with my friend's Lizardmen, managed to hold him to a draw. 1000pts, I had 2 blocks of Saurus, 2 Scar-Veterans and that was just about it. I got charged by his big unit of Gnoblars, broke them, rolled restraint and got 5, 5, 4 on my Cold-Blooded roll. Meanwhile, my other Saurus block had 3/4 of his army on it, including his Bruiser, his Maneaters and his Bulls. My Saurus held for 3 turns, broke and then my other block rear charged him. His guys carved up mine, and I carved up his, then the game ended. Victory point difference: 53pts.

He boasted about for a week and a half. Next game was at 2000, and I had about this:

Vamp Lord: Frostblade, Infinite Hatred, Beguile, Red Fury, Zombie Dragon

Konrad

2 NOX Necros on Corpse Carts with Balefire

Some Ghouls

Some more Ghouls

Some Grave Guard.

He stopped talking about how he beat the Lizardmen right after that.

I bet he did! :) that list is setup to slaughter the big boys!

I'm a pretty good player I suppose - but then I'm a little older than most players (34 now) and have years of tactical gameplay experience to draw upon before I ever came to the hobby of warhammer.

I learnt this game with the ogres - and if you can learn to play with them, then anything else is more forgiving later on. I'm one of the mods over on the ogre stronghold nowerdays.

Servius

Skeleton
I have played a few games on Lorenz with some friends and done decent.. Mostly Minor or Low Major Victories.. I find that to an experienced player the VC army handle mistake making much better than some other armies I play.

I actually won the majority of my games with ogres and my area hosts 5 or 6 regular GT players of pretty decent calibre. I did however run an non-typical list with well over 200 gnoblars. It was Also almost completely Bulls.. The problem with that army is that really the Ogres suck as far as being the Base army troop... Even though Gnoblars suck as far as everything they have 2 things going for them.. Numbers and Cheapness. I used my Gnoblars as micro Anvils and would force units to hit 2 large units of 35+ usually one would stick it out, leaving my bruisers and bulls to hit the flanks and really start the combat.

I lose more than I win- However, I play against nothing but Chaos and High Elves. Both of which I feel have a relatively relaxed time dealing with a non power gaming VC list.

Lord Fear

Master Vampire
True Blood
*checks sig*
Lately, nearly all the time. I have a hard time seeing how people can have better records than that however, beyond consistently playing poor opponents or having amazing dice.