• Roll-up! Roll-up! Come one and all the fantastic Turning the World to Darkness painting competition. Welcome to any skill level, you can find out more here.
  • It's time once again to ferret out those murderous vampires in a new VAU - Vampires Amongst Us. A cross between Cluedo and a roleplay, sometimes gory and often hilarious! Find out more here.

Does Anyone use a Magic-Light list?

Vipoid

Necromancer
I was just wondering if anyone uses an army that has very few wizard levels?

e.g. Just a Lv1 Ghoul King or vampire lord, and/or a single Lv2 necromancer as the highest level caster?

So, has anyone tried a low-magic army?

has anyone had success with a low magic army? ;)

Duke Danse Macabre

The Duke
True Blood
The army I tend to use normally has a Level 3 combat lord and level 1 vamp or the lord will be level 2.
It works fine, if just depends on how it balleneces with the rest of the army.

My level 3 and 1 were always outgunned when i went down to Throne of Skulls but I won all my matches by always being in the right place at the right time and strategic raising. :thumbsup:

Corien Sumatris

Vampire Count
True Blood
I personally love my level 4 MN regardless of point size (except 750 or less lol, which I just never play).

I know Sunny wrote up a 1600 point list with only a level 1 SGK and no other casters and no dispell scroll. He said he did well with it and I could see it being amazing because you're not spending a ton of points on magic and instead throwing all of those points straight at killing bad guys.

Demian

Vampire Count
For low-magic lists, I always like throw in a Cursed Book in an necro.

Cheap and will ease off your 2-3 spells you have to actually cast. you won't be able to dispel a lot, but choose 1 and let the others pass.

Vipoid

Necromancer
Corien Sumatris said:
I know Sunny wrote up a 1600 point list with only a level 1 SGK and no other casters and no dispell scroll. He said he did well with it and I could see it being amazing because you're not spending a ton of points on magic and instead throwing all of those points straight at killing bad guys.
I don't suppose you could give me a link to that list? I'd be very interested to see it.

Corien Sumatris

Vampire Count
True Blood
Well I'm still trying to figure out how the heck to link stuff lol. I'm bad at these darn intwebies thinggy.

The Sun King said:
Thanks for the hype guys :D

When I still played 1500 I had success with fielding 40 GG led by a SGK with RF, Sword of Bloodshed and Potion of Foolhardiness :)

Maybe not competetive but fun as hell:

LORD:
Strigoi Ghoul King: Red Fury, Sword of Bloodshed, Potion of Foolhardiness

CORE:
42 Crypt Ghouls: Ghast

SPECIAL:
40 Grave Guard: FC, Great Weapons, Banner of the Barrows
Spirit Host
Spirit Host
Spirit Host

Total Army Points: 1500pts
There's the list for you, It's from the thread Request: Corien and Sunny (or something like that.

Blutsauger

Vampire Count
Vipoid said:
I was just wondering if anyone uses an army that has very few wizard levels?

e.g. Just a Lv1 Ghoul King or vampire lord, and/or a single Lv2 necromancer as the highest level caster?

So, has anyone tried a low-magic army?

has anyone had success with a low magic army? ;)
The army I've been using has two level ones and a level two. I've only dropped one game with it so far, out of about a dozen or so.

I've started experimenting recently with the Cursed Book which has greatly increased my magical potential, but I don't tend to find a level four THAT much of a necessity.

Gokamok

Grave Guard
Probably not really magic light, but I've considered running a lvl 3 Deathcro with Black Periapt alongside a not too pumped SGK. Should work out well in giving you extra points to spare, while still giving you the threat of death magic!

I've never been to tournaments but I played against a person who was using beastmen in preparation for a tournament, I was alongside dark elves and he was alongside dwarves, I only really used Invocation from my level 2 necro the entire game and didn't really bother casting other wise so despite my lord being level 4 I never used her magic but we still won very easily despite my ally never having beaten the dwarf player before, I don't know if you can count that battle since my meta is probably very different to yours but it can be done, I may try making some low magic lists and see how they do, I'll get back to you on those though.