• It's time once again to ferret out those murderous vampires in a new VAU - Vampires Amongst Us. A cross between Cluedo and a roleplay, sometimes gory and often hilarious! Find out more and sign-up! here.

Belladonna Voltaire

Vyrkos Primogen
True Blood
Aug 15, 2007
Wirral
Good afternoon,

Just wondering if anyone uses oil paints along with their acrylics?

I've been watching a few people on YouTube (James Kappel and Marco NJM) and they use this really well. I'm playing around with them ready for my Tale of Painters (Shameless Plug) and painting up some Ironjawz but they also look like a useful tool for Death because of their use of weathering.

Raven Torrid

Staff member
Sep 3, 2011
Croatia
I haven't yet tried them personally but I generally hear good things about their effectiveness & ease of use. Few of my friends are starting to test them out so If I gather any useful information I will share it here! I was going to recommend you Marco NJM as well, but you already mentioned him, and I'm not surprised. 😛

I was planning to link some of his videos in our articles section eventually, like this one:

The Sun King

Staff member
True Blood
Aug 22, 2012
Copenhagen
Yes I use oils together with normal acrylics. They are great but can be annoying with the longer drying time. I would recommend that you buy Abteilung 502 since those are oil paints made specifically for models.

The Sun King

Staff member
True Blood
Aug 22, 2012
Copenhagen
Oh yeah, and another word of advice: use cheap synthetic brushes - oils are way harder on your brushes than acrylics so don't use them with your expensive ones.

Disciple of Nagash

Oldblood
Staff member
Feb 12, 2008
If you use cheap brushes though, don't you degrade the quality of your brushwork? I'm thinking if you choose to use oils all the time, when would you use your expensive ones otherwise? 🤔

Raven Torrid

Staff member
Sep 3, 2011
Croatia
If you use cheap brushes though, don't you degrade the quality of your brushwork? I'm thinking if you choose to use oils all the time, when would you use your expensive ones otherwise? 🤔

To my understanding, oil paints are often used similar to washes:
  • paint a model with acrylics (using good brushes)
  • cover the model with appropriate oil paints (using cheap brushes)
  • remove the excess oil paints using spirit
As a result you get a more shaded/layered looking model. There's probably more ways to using the oil paints but as far as I know this one is quite popular.

The Sun King

Staff member
True Blood
Aug 22, 2012
Copenhagen
Yes, as Raven says with the addition that you can also do "wet blending" quite easily because of the longer drying time. So acrylics for precision and oils for effects.

Belladonna Voltaire

Vyrkos Primogen
True Blood
Aug 15, 2007
Wirral
And that's more or less what my experience of them has now been having done a few.

I think they have their place for the undead as the easier way of doing the wash now I've had some chance to use them a bit more.

I think with some practice I'll get this more but first results have all been reasonably pleasing and their colour tones are the ones my imagination seems to work in too.

Cthulhu

Grave Guard
Jan 22, 2012
I experimented with oil paints a few years ago, really enjoyed the process but couldn't quite get the results I wanted. Thinking back, I probably put them on too thick as I was trying to use them like a traditional painter would on a canvas, and I never thought of turning them into washes! Seeing how youtubers are using them now makes me want to give it another go, if I can find my old paints!

I had the water soluble type, they are still oil based but modified so you can use water instead of turpentine, quite handy. I wonder if the "wash, let dry slightly, remove excess" technique would work with them.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

Quick Navigation

User Menu