• It's time once again to ferret out those murderous vampires in a new VAU - Vampires Amongst Us. A cross between Cluedo and a roleplay, sometimes gory and often hilarious! Find out more and sign-up! here.
Jul 21, 2009
Hi all, a friend of mine and I thought it might be good to enter this years warhammer doubles tournament, especially after seeing the feature in White dwarf last year. Anyhow, I thought I might have a go at doing an irregular thread charting our course, and maybe giving people a bit of an idea of our experiences, especially as we're both pretty much novices at fAntasy- we're not expecting to come anywhere near the top of the competition! We've neither of us been to Games Workshop HQ before, or even played in a tournament.

It's going to be a steep learning curve but it's also going to be a lot of fun!

TMS

Staff member
True Blood
Nov 26, 2008
Sweden
I'll second Grish here. I hope you'll have much fun indeed, and be sure to report it all back to us here in great detail. :)

Capt Rubber Ducky

Vampire Count
True Blood
Jun 9, 2009
Good Luck! Hope you have fun, the doubles tornaments are more fun then the GT's IMO, and you have someone to blame it it goes wrong :clown:

Jul 21, 2009
Well, the smoke has cleared, the doubles are over for another year, and for tow guys who had probably only played Fantasy about 8 times before going, I think we acquitted ourselves well... by er... not coming last.

Our final record was

1 Win
1 Draw
4 Losses. Heavy, heavy losses.

Overall we suffered from lacking a single massively killy unit that could take on the almost ubiquitous Hydras, Cold Ones, Chaos Knights and in one memorable case, a Treeman.

Most of the games we played were against Dark Elves, by the end of the tournament the words 'of', 'Ring' and 'Hotek'' were guaranteed to make me whimper.

So a quick trip to the warhammer world store at the end of the tournament saw me pick up a box of empire knights and grave guard. I'll be working out what to do with them and my blood knights for next year.

Great event though, anyone thinking about going really should - everyone was extremely friendly and we learnt an awful lot (usually very painfully).

I'll try and write a more detailed account with one or two pictures, and a look at what went wrong with our army list but for now, by far the single best unit we had were my 3 fell bats, which march blocked in every game, accounted for several weapons teams, and generally caused havoc!

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

Quick Navigation

User Menu