• It's time once again to ferret out those murderous vampires in a new VAU - Vampires Amongst Us. A cross between Cluedo and a roleplay, sometimes gory and often hilarious! Find out more and sign-up! here.

Skaramak von Carstein

Vampire Count
True Blood
Aug 13, 2007
St Helier
Not sure if it is me not looking at it correctly, but are DOW units being phased out as rare choices as the new army books are released?

They are not in the Empire, HE or VC books. :(

Skaramak von Carstein

Vampire Count
True Blood
Aug 13, 2007
St Helier
It seems to be only in the books issues since the release of 7th edition that the listing under Rare has been removed. Ogres were released before this, as were the dwarves, and it is in both of these.

I had been planning on a giant and a canon (both raised, the cannon crewed by zombies and dragged out of a swamp), so will build them anyway.

It would be a shame imo if GW phased these out.

Kaptain Von

Vampire Count
True Blood
Feb 26, 2008
United Kingdom
There's text from an interview with some GW designer or other floating around this very site (alas, I cannot remember where), in which it's explained that Dogs of War references are being removed from the seventh edition army books pending a review of the way Dogs of War work.

It helps that all the rules for them - well, most of the rules for them, Ogres aside - are available on the Webternets. I imagine that anyone who likes Dogs of War that much will go to the trouble of downloading them.

While we're on the topic of Dogs of War, how do we all feel about them? Are they an interesting addition to the Warhammer World and a fascinating set of tactical options, or a thinly disguised way of papering over the weaknesses in your army while also diluting its character?

I'm of the opinion that any general worthy of the name will consider a tactical weakness as a thing to overcome, and that most mercenary units can be fitted into most armies with a bit of creative background-wrangling/work on the models. With that in mind, I'm quite interested in Menghil's Manflayers - fast, shooty skirmishers who can legitimately flee an unfavourable combat situation. I also like Vespero's Vendetta, because I'm cheap for duellists, but I don't think they add much to the Vampire Counts as far as tactical options go.

Edit: also, to my shame, I can't shake the mental image of a Giant from my mind. Either the regular kit, painted all grimily like a huge Ghoul, or possibly The Vampire LeFat - a huge von Carstein wannabe, complete with saggy poet shirt and cape...

ArchMagosAlchemys

Necromancer
Oct 16, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia, USA
I'm happy for most DoW, provided fluff is followed. No Black powder + Wood Elves, no 'holy' Empire hiring undead....

However I HATE DoW Dark Emissaries almost beyond words, and facing 2000 points of Dawi with Thorek and two Dark Emissaries is so broken and unfluffy, Death is too good for such players.

I used to use a Khemrian Bone giant as a DoW giant in my VC. Seems OK to me.

Lord Fear

Master Vampire
True Blood
Aug 15, 2007
Yes, DoW are fine in VC armies. Though wit hrare slots facing a lot more competition, I won't be fielding my DoW Giant or Rhinox ever again, I suspect...

Kaptain Von

Vampire Count
True Blood
Feb 26, 2008
United Kingdom
ArchMagosAlchemys said:
However I HATE DoW Dark Emissaries almost beyond words, and facing 2000 points of Dawi with Thorek and two Dark Emissaries is so broken and unfluffy, Death is too good for such players.

Yes, death is too good for filthy cheaters.

The Dark Emissary may be hired by Dark Elves, Skaven, Chaos (all types), Vampire Counts, Tomb Kings, Empire, Bretonnia, Dogs of War and Orcs and Goblins. No Dwarfs. No, really, no.

I love the Dark Emissaries, if only because mine is - quite accidentally - painted amazingly. Dunno how I did it. I do own a Truthsayer and appropriate opponents - the ones allowed him - are encouraged to borrow him, though.

Grish

Liche
True Blood
Oct 11, 2007
Winnipeg, MB
I'll ask it here... I've downloaded the DOW rules off the UK site but don't see any Dark Emissary rules. Are they available for download anywhere? If not, are they legal?

ArchMagosAlchemys

Necromancer
Oct 16, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia, USA
Dark Emissaries CAN behired by Dwarves, there is even some rules for keeping their dice pool separate from that of the old Anvil of Doom. They can also be used by Bretonnians. My opponent gave me a copy of the rules

Kaptain Von

Vampire Count
True Blood
Feb 26, 2008
United Kingdom
That's... not the one I have. Mine's an article from UK WD 263 called 'The Final Chapter', published immediately after the Albion Campaign. Obviously I've missed something somewhere - my bad.

I've been looking for a download of the rules for ages (WD 263 was a long, long time ago) - do you mind me asking where your opponent came by that one?

Incognito

Ghoul
Mar 3, 2008
No they arent being phased out of the new armies just they are not including referenes anymore and the rules are still on the gamesworkshop site.

ArchMagosAlchemys

Necromancer
Oct 16, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia, USA
Here:

http://us.games-workshop.com/games/warhammer/dogsofwar/gaming/albioncharacters/assets/albion.pdf

Of course, Mannfred + Vampire + 2DE would make for a truely hideous VC magic phase too (Evil cackling laugh - no emoticon for that)

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

Quick Navigation

User Menu