• It's time once again to ferret out those murderous vampires in a new VAU - Vampires Amongst Us. A cross between Cluedo and a roleplay, sometimes gory and often hilarious! Find out more and sign-up! here.

Who do you want to be a mini-GM most (or don't you want mini-GMs at all)?

• I don't want a mini GM

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • the hidden one

• Bounce

• Sanai

• Dark_Wolfen

• The Raven Lord

• Zanos

• Ghouly

• Kavok

• The Sanguine Prince

• Lord_Mortis

• Count michael

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Dread King

Staff member
True Blood
Jan 28, 2012
In the past, many of us working on the TVC II agreed there should be "mini-GMs" to help DoN and Simon with the shedload of work that the TVC II can become for two very busy GMs, and to stop inactivity.

The role of these mini-GMS has yet to be set in stone, with some suggesting they should know what will happen in the current chapter(s) (and possibly several of the future ones) they are working on and be able to make significant plot progressions so that posting doesn't slow when the main GM is absent. Some think that this would only work if they were allowed to god-mod to a small extent; though it would have to be fair GMing rather than the type of control that the negative connotations of god-modding are associated with.

It is also unclear who should be these GMs, and what attributes an RPer should posses to become one. The obvious values are time, commitment, experience in several other RPs as well as this one, being able to GM fairly and communicating well with others that might have RPing issues or need help. I'm sure there's a load of other values, but these are the main ones that come to my mind at the moment. Not all of them have to be possessed by a mini-GM, though; they're just recommended.

So, as DoN seemed to approve of the mini-GM idea (I think? My memory isn't the best! Gulp!) I've started a thread to determine if there should be mini-GMs, and if so, what their purpose should be and who they should be. This thread is designed for a discussion about what they should do and one about who they should be, and includes a poll - its purpose is to determine who should be a mini-GM (vote for your most likely choice). Please don't vote for yourself in the poll. Finally, it is designed to determine how many mini-GMs there should be.

Of course, the purpose of this thread may change entirely. It is little more than focused to clear up most of the matter of mini-GMing before DoN returns.

Note: the poll only contains members who have posted in chapters 2, 3, 4 or 5, because the others are likely to have abandoned this RP. Count Krieger von Blustein is not included in this poll because the last OOC post he made here said he no longer had time to RP in the TVC II.

Edit: the options in the poll were posted in a particular order; that is, the order in which their names appeared in the signup thread. This is not a preference, merely the way I approached the task of creating the poll. xD

The Dread King

Staff member
True Blood
Jan 28, 2012
Nah, because by the time we finish the poll, he may have gone away again...best we plan everything in advance, so he can just make the final decision on the mini-GMs when he returns without having to wait for a discussion between many RPers to finish.

Get of W'soran

CN's Lord of Masks
True Blood
Apr 23, 2008
Behind the Throne
The Dread King said:
Nah, because by the time we finish the poll, he may have gone away again...best we plan everything in advance, so he can just make the final decision on the mini-GMs when he returns without having to wait for a discussion between many RPers to finish.

Ghouly said:
Maybe we should wait for DoN to get back

I agree with Ghouly on this one, whilst I believe is a good idea I don't think it's something that should be done,or at least started, in the absence of the Roleplay's Creator and GM.

The Dread King

Staff member
True Blood
Jan 28, 2012
I thought DoN gave the go-ahead, or at least approval...I thought we might start discussing them, but OK, guess we'll put this on hold for now?

Kavok

Wight King
Sep 23, 2012
Been a while since I last posted here... Hasn't really been much to do for my character I guess. But I'm thinking the mini-GMs should be more based on who DoN feels would be able to do the job the best, not who we'd prefer to do the job. Fairly certain DoN has a story largely planned out for us to act out in, and with no knowledge as to what that story is, even if we did elect our own GMs to fill the gap while he is away, we would completely throw off his story line.

And even ignoring that, DoN has a GMPC in both groups that are very necessary for the plot. Take the Queen of Mysteries chapter (must apologize, I'm actually not that caught up on the other chapter, but I feel the same general thing applies there) for example, DoN's character, Anya, would likely be one of the first people to meet with the vampire queen, wouldn't she? And I'm feeling like that is likely the next major step, unless DoN has something else planned... So if DoN isn't present, his character wouldn't be able to interact properly in the story line like it should. I think we should just wait patiently till DoN has time to come back and sort things out. We've been here this long, whats another month or two added into the mix?

The Dread King

Staff member
True Blood
Jan 28, 2012
This thread has been misunderstood.

I wasn't planning to implement the mini-GMs or any new plotlines before DoN's return. The whole point was that this thread would just give DoN a general idea of what the RPers think about the idea of mini-GMs (who they'd like to be a mini-GM most, for instance, or if they even want a mini-GM). Nothing here is directly decides what happens in the TVC II IC. It's just meant to give a general idea, and possibly a sketchy plan, about how to approach the concept and possible implementation of mini-GMs in the TVC II. I thought it might clear up some admin and help DoN with his workload, but it's not necessary to do this now, only helpful.

Get of W'soran

CN's Lord of Masks
True Blood
Apr 23, 2008
Behind the Throne
The Dread King said:
This thread has been misunderstood.

I wasn't planning to implement the mini-GMs or any new plotlines before DoN's return. The whole point was that this thread would just give DoN a general idea of what the RPers think about the idea of mini-GMs (who they'd like to be a mini-GM most, for instance, or if they even want a mini-GM). Nothing here is directly decides what happens in the TVC II IC. It's just meant to give a general idea, and possibly a sketchy plan, about how to approach the concept and possible implementation of mini-GMs in the TVC II. I thought it might clear up some admin and help DoN with his workload, but it's not necessary to do this now, only helpful.

I understood this but I still feel selecting the GMs whilst DoN isn't here would be disrespectful and whilst I'm almost positive DoN would be very cool with it I still feel that way. Basically I think the voting for mini-GMs shouldn't be done.

However I agree with perhaps the thread being used to give views on exactly how they could help DoN, then later if DoN wants to implement the idea he could read the thread and use it for ideas on putting his own version of the system into place.

Count Darvaleth

I <3 marmite
True Blood
Apr 26, 2010
I seldom support unilateral action, in DoN's absence, that could possibly conflict with his plans, but in supporting this I don't think I've made myself a hypocrite. I can see what Dread is trying to do, and I don't think it's anyone's place to say he can't. However, the way in which it has been introduced might seem like a little "forum rebellion" (although I'm sure it's not!).

What, I feel, people have taken this thread to mean, is that Dread would like us to elect "mini-GMs" (we really need a more streamlined title) for DoN to simply approve, or disapprove, en masse when he returns. That would be wrong, and would be forcing DoN to make decisions in unfair circumstances.

What I think Dread meant with this thread, was for people to vote for members they would be comfortable with exercising some kind of senior role in the running of TVC II. Not at all "here's our future dictators", but just an opinion poll to get a sense of where everyone's at.

Should DoN decide to implement such a system, this poll would simply give him more information to go on for making any choices.

EDIT: I've changed the poll so that voters can choose more than one member, as with our relatively small community we want as large a sample size as possible to reflect the opinion; a very close second or third might never make it when they fully deserve recognition, for example. I hope you don't mind, Dread.

The Dread King

Staff member
True Blood
Jan 28, 2012
Count Darvaleth said:
What I think Dread meant with this thread, was for people to vote for members they would be comfortable with exercising some kind of senior role in the running of TVC II. Not at all "here's our future dictators", but just an opinion poll to get a sense of where everyone's at.

Should DoN decide to implement such a system, this poll would simply give him more information to go on for making any choices.

Thanks, Darvy! You've explained my intentions a lot better than I could.

To begin discussion, I ask the following questions:

Are mini-GMs allowed to know about the upcoming plot?
Are they allowed to make plot progressions?
And, if the answers to either of these questions is yes, to what extent are they allow to know and how much can they progress the plot?

I would suggest they can progress only the chapter they're working on and the next, so it doesn't ruin the RP plot for them but they can still keep the IC thread(s) active in DoN's and Simon's abscence. I'm not sure how helping with sideplot progressions would feasibly be factored into the GM's role, though.

Get of W'soran

CN's Lord of Masks
True Blood
Apr 23, 2008
Behind the Throne

I was probably just being touchy :clown:, when wording like this I'm comfortable with it.

And so I shall votes!

Nice post Dready I'll reply when I have the time! :)

Sweeney Todd

Master Vampire
True Blood
Mar 9, 2008
Singapore
Count Darvaleth said:
What I think Dread meant with this thread, was for people to vote for members they would be comfortable with exercising some kind of senior role in the running of TVC II. Not at all "here's our future dictators"

Speak for yourself! BOW BEFORE YOUR NEW MUSICAL BARBER OVERLORD, MINIONS! MWAHAHAHAHAHAHA :devil2:

Even if we do go through with this thing god-modding should never be necessary(moving the plot forward doesn't constitute god-modding AFAIK). That said, I'm generally in favor of this idea, but I reckon everyone would want to know the details of what it constitutes before really voting. Also, I'm personally torn about the issue of acting behind DoN/Simon's back. On one hand, I really meant to get TVC2 moving forward again. On the other hand, I don't want this to be a 'coup'.

Get of W'soran

CN's Lord of Masks
True Blood
Apr 23, 2008
Behind the Throne
Sweeney Todd said:
Also, I'm personally torn about the issue of acting behind DoN/Simon's back. On one hand, I really meant to get TVC2 moving forward again. On the other hand, I don't want this to be a 'coup'.

It wouldn't be behind their backs though, I'm fairly certain that the only purpose of this thread is to give DoN some ideas if he wants to implement his own "mini-GM" systems upon his return.

The Dread King

Staff member
True Blood
Jan 28, 2012
Oh! You can vote multiple times - I thought I stopped that! My poll-making skills are terrible! I guess it's for the best, though, if you're torn between options or you want multiple GMs. Get's right, Sweeney. If it was PMs we were using, or aggressive demands to the GMs, then it would be dishonest and a "coup". But this is an open thread which DoN or Simon can see at any time, post in and draw ideas from rather than force their hands, not a coup.

Count Darvaleth

I <3 marmite
True Blood
Apr 26, 2010
The Dread King said:
Oh! You can vote multiple times - I thought I stopped that! My poll-making skills are terrible! I guess it's for the best, though, if you're torn between options or you want multiple GMs. Get's right, Sweeney. If it was PMs we were using, or aggressive demands to the GMs, then it would be dishonest and a "coup". But this is an open thread which DoN or Simon can see at any time, post in and draw ideas from rather than force their hands, not a coup.

That was me. :clown:

EDIT: I've changed the poll so that voters can choose more than one member, as with our relatively small community we want as large a sample size as possible to reflect the opinion; a very close second or third might never make it when they fully deserve recognition, for example. I hope you don't mind, Dread.

As for acting behind backs, on the one hand I'm sure DoN wouldn't mind having us behind him (you know :perv: ) but on the other I wouldn't call this clandestine plotting or anything. An open poll in the OOC section is hardly a secretive Warrior Lodge in the underbelly of the ship, and even PMs can't hide from DoN.

The Dread King

Staff member
True Blood
Jan 28, 2012
Count Darvaleth said:

That's fine, Darvy. xD

Bounce

Varghulf
May 3, 2012
I don't mean to be rude to DoN who clearly has a lot of real life things on at the moment but he simply doesn't have time to GM this roleplay properly over the last several months which has been unfortunate for everyone. I think having some mini GM's until he gets back to the "important stuff" in life is a really good idea.

The Dread King

Staff member
True Blood
Jan 28, 2012
Sweeney Todd said:
Even if we do go through with this thing god-modding should never be necessary(moving the plot forward doesn't constitute god-modding AFAIK).

Some things that happen to characters have to be GMed in a way that might be seen as god-modding if it were not done by a mini-GM/GM - e.g. when a character's actions get out of hand, a higher power may need to own them.

Example:

Overproud (RPer): Dave the Unimaginably Awesome charged forth at the massive army of vampires, shooting lasers out of his hands and eyes. As one, the army started to flee, but Dave ripped into them as they ran.

GM may not have the time to reply before this situations gets wildly out of control, so mini-GM has permission to do actions like this as well as GM.

Sensible (mini-GM): Dave stopped and blinked for a moment. The army stood a few metres away from him, unbowed, unbroken. It had all been an illusion!

Overproud (RPer): Dave said, "Sneaky tricksters! DIE!" Charging at his real foe, Dave prepared to absolutely own them again, slashing at them with his sword-that-was-the-best-in-the-world.

Sensible: Suddenly, a massive vampire stepped out and punched Dave, knocking him to the ground. A group of expert killers surrounded the human, prepared to commence slaughter on the first command. Perhaps this would not be so easy after all...

Get of W'soran

CN's Lord of Masks
True Blood
Apr 23, 2008
Behind the Throne
The Dread King said:
Sweeney Todd said:
Even if we do go through with this thing god-modding should never be necessary(moving the plot forward doesn't constitute god-modding AFAIK).

Some things that happen to characters have to be GMed in a way that might be seen as god-modding if it were not done by a mini-GM/GM - e.g. when a character's actions get out of hand, a higher power may need to own them.

Example:

Overproud (RPer): Dave the Unimaginably Awesome charged forth at the massive army of vampires, shooting lasers out of his hands and eyes. As one, the army started to flee, but Dave ripped into them as they ran.

GM may not have the time to reply before this situations gets wildly out of control, so mini-GM has permission to do actions like this as well as GM.

Sensible (mini-GM): Dave stopped and blinked for a moment. The army stood a few metres away from him, unbowed, unbroken. It had all been an illusion!

Overproud (RPer): Dave said, "Sneaky tricksters! DIE!" Charging at his real foe, Dave prepared to absolutely own them again, slashing at them with his sword-that-was-the-best-in-the-world.

Sensible: Suddenly, a massive vampire stepped out and punched Dave, knocking him to the ground. A group of expert killers surrounded the human, prepared to commence slaughter on the first command. Perhaps this would not be so easy after all...

Agree with this Post, I even got a picture of our future mini-gm

37034807.jpg

The Dread King

Staff member
True Blood
Jan 28, 2012
Nope, but what I'm saying is that a mini-GM should be allowed to step in if and when an RPer is overdoing a character's actions (e.g. RPed too powerfully, godmodded, generally stupid things).

Count Darvaleth

I <3 marmite
True Blood
Apr 26, 2010
When a GM does it, it's not really godmodding anyway, just GMing. Godmodding is the illegal black-market version that players try to pull from time to time.

@ Sweeney: That gave me extreme deja vu, but I don't know why!

The Dread King

Staff member
True Blood
Jan 28, 2012
Remember, guys, don't just vote! There's a lot to discuss and this thread could be really useful for drawing ideas from for the main GMs!

Nov 10, 2012
Manchester, UK
I suppose it would be a decent idea if implemented correctly. Perhaps the position could come with a set of guidelines written by DoN himself. If they does not abide by these, then he is entitled to condemn to death by... CAKE!! :thumbsup:

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

Quick Navigation

User Menu