• Roll-up! Roll-up! Come one and all the fantastic Turning the World to Darkness painting competition. Welcome to any skill level, you can find out more here.
  • It's time once again to ferret out those murderous vampires in a new VAU - Vampires Amongst Us. A cross between Cluedo and a roleplay, sometimes gory and often hilarious! Find out more here.

Empire 18" flaming skull thing vs Banner of Blood Keep!

I played a match against empire the other day and I believe his warrior-priest had an item that cast a flaming head or something that shoots in a line of 18" form the caster.
Well this 18" line hit 2 of my blood knights(it was a hit in the flank but didn't reach the 3rd knight).
I don't remember whether it allowed armor saves or not, but he got 2 knights.
I had a banner of blood keep on them and said they get a ward against the attack because it is technically ranged as it has a RANGE of 18". He didn't allow me to do so...and he won the diceroll to decide (I am so unlucky with those).
Do the knights get a ward? also, would a vampire with the wristbands of the black gold get a save too?
Thanks in advance

I think they would, I think I saw the same question arise on another forum some time ago. They banner grants a save against ranged attacks, and I think every non close combat attack is a ranged attack so you would benefit from the 4+ ws.

MasterSpark

Nostalgian
Staff member
True Blood
Your Knights should definately have got their paid-for ward save in that situation, as would a Vampire wearing the Wristbands of Black Gold. The Burning Head is not stated to be a magic missile unfortunately, but it is still very much a ranged attack. It is fired from the caster over a distance - what could your opponent possibly say to make it appear otherwise?

Edit: Ninja'd by Jnr! :vampire2:

Lord Fear

Master Vampire
True Blood
Like you astutely pointed out, the spell has a RANGE, which is a dead giveaway that it is a RANGED attack.

Seems we have a few members who are getting screwed over by opponents who feel stubbornly lying and cheating to get the win is more important than fun. I may have to run a clinic entitled, "Punch Them in the Stomach and Steal their Army Case" :suck:

Grish

Liche
True Blood
Nerd rage! I love it. There is only one time I was ever tempted to punch someone in the face, and that's because he was throwing his figures.

It is indeed as simple as it has a range, therefore it's a ranged attack. You'd get the same save against a Banshee's scream as well, or the Comet of Cassandora, or anything that does not require being in base to base contact.