• Roll-up! Roll-up! Come one and all the fantastic Turning the World to Darkness painting competition. Welcome to any skill level, you can find out more here.
  • It's time once again to ferret out those murderous vampires in a new VAU - Vampires Amongst Us. A cross between Cluedo and a roleplay, sometimes gory and often hilarious! Find out more here.

End times magic and black coach

Joined
Dec 14, 2014
Messages
4
#1
So I recently got a black coach for $20 and finished getting it painted. I've never fielded one as at 195 I'd rather pay the 30 points for a terrorgeist but with end times magic meaning more power dice, the coach will get buffed up faster.

On paper it doesn't look bad and was wondering if you guys have had success with it using or not using end times magic. I just think having the 4d6 to possibly benefit from might give it the boost it needs to see more use.
 

Yorga

Vampire Count
True Blood
Joined
Apr 7, 2011
Messages
1,850
#2
So I recently got a black coach for $20 and finished getting it painted. I've never fielded one as at 195 I'd rather pay the 30 points for a terrorgeist but with end times magic meaning more power dice, the coach will get buffed up faster.

On paper it doesn't look bad and was wondering if you guys have had success with it using or not using end times magic. I just think having the 4d6 to possibly benefit from might give it the boost it needs to see more use.
You're 100% correct. I used one a couple times. They are durable and can add some nice punch. You don't mind not marching as chariots never march anyhow. So for undead they are pretty mobile units. The only thing that kept me from using it more was I average less than 7 dice for my magic. I don't know why. But I roll low far more often than I roll high. So it was hard for me to generate those 6s. With EoT magic I will likely give it another go. Especially in conjunction with a Casket of Souls.
 

Demian

Vampire Count
Joined
Oct 28, 2011
Messages
1,248
#3
I've used it before End Times magic, and I liked it then!!

Now, I'll love it! and the plus side is, you can alter the horses to make them undead Reindeers, and the Wraith to become undead Santa. Well not really an upgrade =P

Even without Evocation of Death fuelling it to Ethereal, it wreacks havoc into any chaff and any small non-ranked unit that wanders beyond the centre and attempts to flank you (like fast cav, and it can catch fast cav too).

Don't let anyone cast Pit of Shades on it though D:
 
Joined
Dec 14, 2014
Messages
4
#5
Baseline the morghasts are about even.

The coach has a 3+/4++ and T6 though 2 morgasts have more reliable attacks better Init and the heralds ability. Plus the morgasts stay effective outside the first round of combat.

The main benefit comes when fully buffed.

D6+1 Impact hits with flaming & killing blow.
MR2 and Strider (Giving it an effective 2+ vs magic)
Ethereal and fly.

Oh whats that? You can only hurt me with magic? It'd be a shame if I had a 2+ save against that... Granted theres magic weapons and all but with ethereal & fly you can basically pick where you want to go. hunting down whatever it is you want dead or eating impact hits from a rear charge.

I think fully buffed the coach is better and with end times magic phases of 4d6 it gets there twice as fast.
 
Joined
Nov 13, 2013
Messages
927
#6
It really comes down to the power-level of lists you're facing. With 25% of our army tied up in things that can't kill anything I've found that we really need to squeeze as much hurt out of the other 75% as we can. Black coaches are cool, but they just don't pack the punch that 200 points ought to. Plus if you're playing tournaments you'll often time out before turn 5-6, when they really start to shine.

That said, for friendly games I think they're just fine. End Times might help their competitiveness with all those extra dice. I'd still rather have vargheists or a terrorgheist though.
 
Top