• Roll-up! Roll-up! Come one and all the fantastic Turning the World to Darkness painting competition. Welcome to any skill level, you can find out more here.
  • It's time once again to ferret out those murderous vampires in a new VAU - Vampires Amongst Us. A cross between Cluedo and a roleplay, sometimes gory and often hilarious! Find out more here.

Entry Thread. Turning the World to Darkness: Ancient Evil

Borgnine

Staff member
True Blood
Yet another edition of our favourite painting competition is upon us - and the new topic is "Ancient Evil", as proposed by @Malisteen !

You are all open to interpret the topic as you will. It can be about dusty mummies, rusty wights, liches and Nagashes, but also about old models or reviving abandoned projects. Other interpretations are welcome to, provided they are reasonably sane! It could be a single undead or a whole unit of them, of all scales and sizes.

Original models and conversions allowed.

The Prize: The winner earns the glory and a place in the Hall of Infamy thread. The winner also gets to select the theme of the next painting challenge (note that the winner only has a weekend to present the decision, so please be prepared and available).

The Rules:
  • All models entered should not have been painted more than a year ago from the date the entry thread is closed. This will not be enforced but violators will politely be asked to retract their entry.
  • All miniatures presented must have been painted by the entrant.
  • Max one entry per person.
  • Max 3 images per entry (including pictures in collages), of reasonable size.
  • No voting for your own entry.
  • No model can be entered into several challenges.
  • For every started set of 5 entries, each member gets a single vote (for example: with 7 entries everyone would get 2 votes).
  • Open entries and open voting. Everyone can see who painted what.
  • Models can be of any manufacturer and conversion but must fulfill all the criteria of the given theme.
  • If no decision on the next theme is made within a week of the winner announcement, the decision falls to the competition organizer.

The Schedule:
Week 1, Monday: Theme announcement and entry thread created
Week 7, Sunday: Entry thread closed. Voting thread opened.
Week 8, Friday: Voting thread closed. Result announced. Winner asked about next theme.

Because the voting was delayed a bit and I am posting this on Tuesday, we will start the official countdown from the next Monday - but you can all start working now ;)

This thread is now open for people to post their entries. Please state a name of the miniature along with the pictures (ex: Vampire Lord or Countess Squigmachine). The thread closes on the 14th of April 2019 at (roughly) 23:59 CET (but we are not in a hurry, we can easily extend it much longer if someone needs to finish their entry)

And a list of subscribers who will get a notification about the competition (you don't have to be listed here to enter!):

@robtion
@Adam_Barrow
@Eyeless
@Mad 'At
@Azakael
@Shadespyre
@Farmer7574
@Devour the Cabbage
@Nikos
@Leithel
@Mioum
@Angie
@Sessioni
@Pigbones
@Raizi
@Nagash Worshiper
@Unas the slayer
@edwardvlad
@Theerteen
@Malisteen

Malisteen

Master Necromancer
True Blood
If you could add me to that notification list, I'd appreciate it.

As one might expect, I had a particular personal project in mind when I came up with the topic, in order to give me a bit of a cheeky head start, at least conceptually. But unlike the dragon, it isn't something I'd already recently finished regardless, so I'll have to do some actual work in an actually timely fashion to complete it. We'll see how that goes.

Farmer7574

Vampire Count
True Blood
A quick question: would Vargheists count in this category? They’re not ‘ancient’ per se but I think they were vamps that got locked up & starved for a long time and turned into monstrous vamp beasts (if I remember their fluff correctly)...

Borgnine

Staff member
True Blood
@Farmer7574 I think calling Vargheists ancient is kinda a stretch, but if that's going to motivate you to finish them, then all is good ;) What do you think @Malisteen ?

@brr-icy it's not only vampires - all kinds of undead are welcome! :)

brr-icy

Skeleton
@Borgnine Ok, Just undead. I have a nagash I did this summer, that work? I had just finished up some ancient chaos models that I was pretty excited about lol. I do have the last Mannfred model to paint up though, hmm

Theerteen

Cheerful Cranium
True Blood
@brr-icy
I don't have the last word here, but what would be more genuine ancient undead than the creator of undead itself? :D

A quick question: would Vargheists count in this category? They’re not ‘ancient’ per se but I think they were vamps that got locked up & starved for a long time and turned into monstrous vamp beasts (if I remember their fluff correctly)...
You clearly need to write a background story for it xD

Malisteen

Master Necromancer
True Blood
Old lore for vargheists had them slowly transformed into monsters over long periods of confinement. I personally got the impression that such confinement might take centuries, and a vampire might have been centuries old already before being subjected to such a fate.

So I personally wouldn't personally object to vargheists being entered under the topic, especially if they're models you've had lying around for a while. Might take some extra painting or conversion flair to sell voters on the idea once the round ends.

Borgnine

Staff member
True Blood
I guess the vague term 'ancient' leaves you some possibilities there, @Farmer7574 ;) A dusty ancient backstory wouldn't hurt certainly xD

And I will have something to enter at last - next week I'll have some patinated wraiths ready to go - I hope they will be ancient enough for the competition ;)

Farmer7574

Vampire Count
True Blood
Ok, Vargs are back on the table for this. I think the amount of time I'm taking with these already qualifies them for 'ancient' but I'll write a bit of fluff for them anyways. This competition is the shove I need to get these done - CN, you're awesome :bowdown:

Shadespyre

Vampire Thrall
@Farmer7574 Ah, that's the question. If I paint it to suit my army, it takes me one way, but it's away from how the model should be painted, I think.

That said, I might have just thought of a compromise between the two. No idea if I can paint it, though! Might be that I'll give it a go, knowing that I can always respray it and start again!;)