• Roll-up! Roll-up! Come one and all the fantastic Turning the World to Darkness painting competition. Welcome to any skill level, you can find out more here.
  • It's time once again to ferret out those murderous vampires in a new VAU - Vampires Amongst Us. A cross between Cluedo and a roleplay, sometimes gory and often hilarious! Find out more here.

Entry Thread. Turning the World to Darkness: Etheral

Borgnine

Staff member
True Blood
Theme: Etheral

Seeing as I have won the last competition, I am proposing this one right now. All kinds of ghosts, spirits, phantoms, phantasms, haunts, spectres, wraiths, banshees, etc. are welcome! And to get some rules lawyering done - we will accept normal 'solid' miniatures painted etherally, whispy, ghostly miniatures painted realistically (something like GW proposes for their Nighthaunts right now), both of those at once and everything in between! Just no bony or fleshy undead here, please ;) All sizes are allowed, heroes, units, monsters - as long as it's etheral, it's good to go!

Nighthaunts got expanded recently and people are painting their ghostly armies right now, this should get at least some traction ;)

Original models and conversions allowed.

The Prize: The winner earns the glory and a place in the Hall of Infamy thread. The winner also gets to select the theme of the next painting challenge (note that the winner only has a weekend to present the decision, so please be prepared and available).

The Rules:
  • All models entered should not have been painted more than a year ago from the date the entry thread is closed. This will not be enforced but violators will politely be asked to retract their entry.
  • All miniatures presented must have been painted by the entrant.
  • Max one entry per person.
  • Max 3 images per entry (including pictures in collages), of reasonable size.
  • No voting for your own entry.
  • No model can be entered into several challenges.
  • For every started set of 5 entries, each member gets a single vote (for example: with 7 entries everyone would get 2 votes).
  • Open entries and open voting. Everyone can see who painted what.
  • Models can be of any manufacturer and conversion but must fulfill all the criteria of the given theme.
  • If no decision on the next theme is made within a week of the winner announcement, the decision falls to the competition organizer.

The Schedule:
Week 1, Monday: Theme announcement and entry thread created
Week 7, Sunday: Entry thread closed. Voting thread opened.
Week 8, Friday: Voting thread closed. Result announced. Winner asked about next theme.

Because the voting was delayed a bit and I am posting this on Tuesday, we will start the official countdown from the next Monday - but you can all start working now ;)

This thread is now open for people to post their entries. Please state a name of the miniature along with the pictures (ex: Vampire Lord or Countess Squigmachine). The thread closes on the 23rd of September 2018 at (roughly) 23:59 CET.

And a list of subscribers who will get a notification about the competition (you don't have to be listed here to enter!):

@robtion
@Adam_Barrow
@Eyeless
@Mad 'At
@Azakael
@Shadespyre
@Farmer7574
@Devour the Cabbage
@Nikos
@Leithel
@Mioum
@Angie
@Sessioni
@Pigbones
@Raizi
@Nagash Worshiper
@Unas the slayer
@edwardvlad
@Theerteen

Theerteen

Cheerful Cranium
True Blood
I have a Soul Wars Box laying around here, and I think I'm not the only one :D MAYBE the only one with double night haunt minis xD

Shadespyre

Vampire Thrall
Noooooooooooooooooooooo! :'(

I have ONE model in the works, and this is pretty much the only possible category I couldn't shoehorn it into.

Grumble grumble... :rolleyes:

Borgnine

Staff member
True Blood
@Shadespyre well, you keep the secret so tight, how could I known? ;) If this was the only bad category, then the next one will surely fit ;)

Also, you've painted some etherals/wraiths recently, so it's not all lost?

Shadespyre

Vampire Thrall
Yeah, I'll enter something, it's just nice to do something new that you haven't already seen.... also I'm just finishing the BEST THING EVER and it would have been nice to put it here... ;)

Farmer7574

Vampire Count
True Blood
Nice category! I completed a bunch of spirit hosts a while back but that might have been too long ago now. Failing that, I have a fun idea for this that shouldn't take too much time away from my current projects (which all happen to fall short of this category).

robtion

Vampire Thrall
@Shadespyre Really cool. Love the suble shading and glossy robes.

I will paint something easy up as ethereal is quickish but not sure if i can get a decent photo. Really need to get a new camera or phone.

Sidenote: I know this is not the place to post it but a heads up for you guys as I've not mentioned it elsewhere yet. I am considering selling many of my minis including most of those in my plog. Also have tons of unpainted mantic zombies and other misc bits(wood elves, Reaper stuff, Citadel trees, etc). Would love to get rid of everything bulk for a reasonable price. If anyone is interested pm me. Cheers.

robtion

Vampire Thrall
The Sodden Maiden

In the small fishing village of Brine there once dwelt a damsel who's beauty was so renowned it spread across the land. Gaining the attention of the vampiric nobility who dwelt in the Spire, word soon reached the ears of the envious vampiress who ruled these lands.

Soon after the damsel vanished. Some say she eloped with a handsome prince who had heard of her beauty and become besotted.

Many years later none recognised the damsel when she reappeared, the flesh picked clean from her once stunning face, clothing bedraggled and matted with algae and grime. Wailing with sorrow, night after night she wanders the docks, a corroded anchor clattering along the cobbled streets in her wake.

Sorry once again for poor photo quality. Will buy a working camera one day ;)

Borgnine

Staff member
True Blood
@robtion Very nice entry, the picture is not perfect, but better than last time ;) And the story is cool too, good work :) Shame to see you sell your collection, but that's something that you want/need to do, then so it is. You should probably post it in your plog, perhaps editing the thread name accordingly to get some more traction.

@Shadespyre Maybe it's the case of not shaking the varnish enough? But then, I have so many problems with my "Matt" Varnish that it could be anything... Army Painter sells "anti shine" stuff, both in pots and as sprays, if you are interested, I heard those work nicely.

And to stay on topic - my entry has the basecoat done, now I need to add some shades and highlights - thankfully monochromatic etherals are pretty easy to paint ;)