• Roll-up! Roll-up! Come one and all the fantastic Turning the World to Darkness painting competition. Welcome to any skill level, you can find out more here.
  • It's time once again to ferret out those murderous vampires in a new VAU - Vampires Amongst Us. A cross between Cluedo and a roleplay, sometimes gory and often hilarious! Find out more here.

Entry Thread. Turning the World to Darkness: Open Challenge 2018

Borgnine

Staff member
True Blood
So... first - I'm out of ideas for the competition and second - we seem to be losing steam a bit. To deal with both of those issues, I am proposing an open challenge this time.

Theme: Anything goes

It doesn't even need to be undead, any painted miniature(s) will do. Get motivated to paint something and enter it here - whatever you have on the working table right now ;) Maybe this way we could reinvigorate our little competition. The winner of this one will choose the next topic and we'll get this rolling again as usual.

Original models and conversions allowed.

The Prize: The winner earns the glory and a place in the Hall of Infamy thread. The winner also gets to select the theme of the next painting challenge (note that the winner only has a weekend to present the decision, so please be prepared and available).

The Rules:
  • All models entered should not have been painted more than a year ago from the date the entry thread is closed. This will not be enforced but violators will politely be asked to retract their entry.
  • All miniatures presented must have been painted by the entrant.
  • Max one entry per person.
  • Max 3 images per entry (including pictures in collages), of reasonable size.
  • No voting for your own entry.
  • No model can be entered into several challenges.
  • For every started set of 5 entries, each member gets a single vote (for example: with 7 entries everyone would get 2 votes).
  • Open entries and open voting. Everyone can see who painted what.
  • Models can be of any manufacture and conversion, but must fulfil all the criteria of the given theme.
  • If no decision on the next theme is made within a week of the winner announcement, the decision falls to the competition organizer.

The Schedule:
Week 1, Monday: Theme announcement and entry thread created
Week 7, Sunday: Entry thread closed. Voting thread opened.
Week 8, Friday: Voting thread closed. Result announced. Winner asked about next theme.

This thread is now open for people to post their entries. Please state a name of the miniature along with the pictures (ex: Vampire Lord or Countess Squigmachine). The thread closes on the 18th of March 2018 at (roughly) 23:59 CET.

Last edited:

Shadespyre

Necromancer
Open category? You guys do know that I paint only Space Marine tanks from now and for eternity, don't you? ;)

Farmer7574

Vampire Count
True Blood
Nice choice. This winter was pretty busy and unproductive hobby-wise, but gladly I've gotten back into the swing of things since the start of February - mostly O&G stuff lately but I'll be sure to get something in for this one. :thumbsup:

Malisteen

Master Necromancer
True Blood
I'll enter my own Knight of Shrouds. Hopefully I'll be able to get some better pictures together, but for now these will do:

EDIT: better pictures below, old ones can be found here: https://minisception.tumblr.com/post/171038758415

This is actually the first and only model I've managed to fully paint since I rebooted my color scheme back when End Times: Nagash was released. Which is a kind of embarrassing record of never finishing anything for a color scheme that was, in part, intended to make the painting process go faster by cutting down to basically just black and green.

Last edited:

Malisteen

Master Necromancer
True Blood
It's the new thing, and GW's pushing them for their store painting deal, so I'm not at all surprised to see more than one of them.

Shadespyre

Necromancer
It's a nice model, I'm half tempted to get one for Frostgrave rather than my WH army!

Still a month to go? I might get something finished, but to be honest I'm not sure what at this point - I will try, though!

Borgnine

Staff member
True Blood
Now I regret having a deadline on zombies and not ordering Knight of Shrouds earlier, it would be interesting/hilarious to make this comp full of Keldreks :)

Malisteen

Master Necromancer
True Blood
@Borgnine re: losing steam, it might be worth considering consolidating some of the sub-forums. While separate boards for 8th/9th/AoS are probably necessary, I'm not sure we've got enough traffic to justify separate boards for tactics/fluff/homebrew/general/etc within those categories. Simply asking people to make sure thread titles/tags are descriptive is probably good enough on that front.

Borgnine

Staff member
True Blood
Wow @Malisteen , those are some good photos! One can really appreciate the model :) But the rules for the comp state that we use only 3 pictures - should I take first three, or do you want me to use another set? As for your idea of consolidating the sub-forums - looks like a good idea - I'll throw it in the mod forum.

Well, given that a month ago I did a unit of dwarfs hammerers, with a free-hand painted banner, I don't see why I shouldn't use it here...
at most, they could fit also in "the faces of our next meal". ;)

the entire unit:

proxy.php?image=https%3A%2F%2Fi.imgur.com%2FxQNYYRv.jpg&hash=b726abb5183f49c00b5007fb756b2139

Details of the banner, which has been painted copying the cover of the old Manowars' album "Sign of the Hammer" (consider it a nostalgic reprise of the "heavy metal" theme...):

proxy.php?image=https%3A%2F%2Fi.imgur.com%2Fp46mk3v.jpg&hash=4ee81447dfd1600e3d5e44d84b225fe6

proxy.php?image=https%3A%2F%2Fi.imgur.com%2FXdWw3rn.jpg&hash=d8f27e81be794ddcb6883813033c8754

Farmer7574

Vampire Count
True Blood
Nice work on those dwarves, didn't expect to see those guys here :D I like your freehand banner design. I can appreciate a good banner as I'm always too lazy to do them myself :boring:

I've got my entry finished for this competition but have yet to take some pictures - I'll try to get them up tomorrow or by Saturday the latest :cool:

EDIT:

Farmer's Zombie Filler

proxy.php?image=http%3A%2F%2Fi64.tinypic.com%2Fe9avwx.jpg&hash=45da31ed055fa839abf5480a88021bf9

This is a filler that was inspired by Borgnine's work right here.

Last edited:
Nice work on those dwarves, didn't expect to see those guys here :D I like your freehand banner design.
Thanks!
Also your model is more a little diorama than a simple "filler". Very nice the detail of the entrails splattered on the terrain, under the hanged corpse, with the half zombie crawling toward the "fresh" blood... :cool:

Eyeless

Wight King
The Corpselauncher.

Last minute entry, a Screaming Skull Catapult conversion to fit in with a FEC theme.
Due to how the allies system work I don't really have any use for it now, but still an awesome conversion :)