• Roll-up! Roll-up! Come one and all the fantastic Turning the World to Darkness painting competition. Welcome to any skill level, you can find out more here.
  • It's time once again to ferret out those murderous vampires in a new VAU - Vampires Amongst Us. A cross between Cluedo and a roleplay, sometimes gory and often hilarious! Find out more here.

Entry Thread. Turning the World to Darkness: (Un)Death From Above

Borgnine

Staff member
True Blood
Theme: (Un)Death From Above

And here we are back with quite an original topic proposed by our last winner, @Unas the slayer !

We welcome all bats, winged vampires, swooping ghosts, undead planes, dusty carrions, zombie dragons, hungry vargheists, rotting terrorgheists, cursed pegasi, hellsteeds and all kinds of flying and/or winged undead abominations! Aerially-challenged undead jumping from a high point onto something below would fit the topic too, I guess! Have fun everyone :)

Original models and conversions allowed.

The Prize: The winner earns the glory and a place in the Hall of Infamy thread. The winner also gets to select the theme of the next painting challenge (note that the winner only has a weekend to present the decision, so please be prepared and available).

The Rules:
  • All models entered should not have been painted more than a year ago from the date the entry thread is closed. This will not be enforced but violators will politely be asked to retract their entry.
  • All miniatures presented must have been painted by the entrant.
  • Max one entry per person.
  • Max 3 images per entry (including pictures in collages), of reasonable size.
  • No voting for your own entry.
  • No model can be entered into several challenges.
  • For every started set of 5 entries, each member gets a single vote (for example: with 7 entries everyone would get 2 votes).
  • Open entries and open voting. Everyone can see who painted what.
  • Models can be of any manufacturer and conversion but must fulfill all the criteria of the given theme.
  • If no decision on the next theme is made within a week of the winner announcement, the decision falls to the competition organizer.

The Schedule:
Week 1, Monday: Theme announcement and entry thread created
Week 7, Sunday: Entry thread closed. Voting thread opened.
Week 8, Friday: Voting thread closed. Result announced. Winner asked about next theme.

Because the voting was delayed a bit and I am posting this on Tuesday, we will start the official countdown from the next Monday - but you can all start working now ;)

This thread is now open for people to post their entries. Please state a name of the miniature along with the pictures (ex: Vampire Lord or Countess Squigmachine). The thread closes on the 25th of November 2018 at (roughly) 23:59 CET.

And a list of subscribers who will get a notification about the competition (you don't have to be listed here to enter!):

@robtion
@Adam_Barrow
@Eyeless
@Mad 'At
@Azakael
@Shadespyre
@Farmer7574
@Devour the Cabbage
@Nikos
@Leithel
@Mioum
@Angie
@Sessioni
@Pigbones
@Raizi
@Nagash Worshiper
@Unas the slayer
@edwardvlad
@Theerteen

Last edited:

MasterSpark

Nostalgian
Staff member
True Blood
You mean that the thread will close on the 23rd of November and not September, right?

Borgnine

Staff member
True Blood
@MasterSpark Actually, on the 25th of November. Silly me, I forgot to actually change the date! Thanks for pointing that out, it's fixed now...

And as for the topic itself - I am stumped. I have some monsters on the desk, but those are all non-undead - and I don't have anything undead that may fly... I will have to think some more what to do with this thing ;)

MasterSpark

Nostalgian
Staff member
True Blood
Would a vampire on a living dragon (or a not obviously dead one, at least) be allowed? It'd be a vampire on wings, eh?

Borgnine

Staff member
True Blood
@MasterSpark this way the undead vampire would be delivered by the dragon (undead or not) from above, so I think it definitely fits! :)

Are we doing pre-release of our entries? Good. :cool:

When Nagash put the final stone on the Great Black Pyramid, the energies of Shyish, released at once, propagated across the Mortal Realms, draining the life of billions of living creatures.

A shockwave of necromantic energy stroke at full power the sky-port of Barak-Zhufar… in a matter of seconds, the whole population turned from proud kharadron overlords into restless souls. The glittering metal of the sky ships grew old suddenly by centuries, and even the very essence of the aether-gold was corrupted… now the rusty sky-vessels are no more fueled by the pure, white energy, but their furnaces are constantly burning with green, cold fire, strangely similar to the unholy energies that give power to nighthaunts.

Their pride is lost, their code has vanished, the faith in Grungni disappeared… of their former life, only one thing remains. The Greed.

The Admiral is still the richest and strongest captain… but he hunt for aether-gold belongs to the past. The only prize that will be pillaged will be the souls of the living, that will burn and suffer for eternity, in the necrotic fires that fly the vessels.

Beware the “Ghost Sky-Fleet”!

(basically, I'm collecting a small Kharadron Overlord army, and I'm painting it with a ghostly pattern. Having suggested the theme, obviously I've already started it since some time)

Last edited:
I've struggled to get better pictures than this - I've used Dullcote to kill some of the unwanted shine (e.g. the eye sockets) and I've got a bigger backdrop, but I'm struggling to get good light and all the colours come out weird. So here are the previous photo-shoot for my entry,

Kaladrax Reborn

proxy.php?image=http%3A%2F%2Fi1147.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fo541%2FShadespyre%2FWARHAMMER%2FVampire%2520Counts%2FNew%2520Vampire%2520Counts%2FKaladrax%2Fe24d82ae-65ee-4ad9-9c83-102602df5966_zpsif0hysgj.jpg&hash=a396c489f8c16af22918820c72717d0e
proxy.php?image=http%3A%2F%2Fi1147.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fo541%2FShadespyre%2FWARHAMMER%2FVampire%2520Counts%2FNew%2520Vampire%2520Counts%2FKaladrax%2FDSC01057_zpsazjwjzes.jpg&hash=a280013a84f06d6618da78d3a4cca990
proxy.php?image=http%3A%2F%2Fi1147.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fo541%2FShadespyre%2FWARHAMMER%2FVampire%2520Counts%2FNew%2520Vampire%2520Counts%2FKaladrax%2Fcb49b941-36f5-420a-bb64-04e4f778a3b2_zpsm8jiejk6.jpg&hash=21119c781d4eefd872c3198826e46a00

Technically, she can fly. Scary enough at ground level to be honest!