• Roll-up! Roll-up! Come one and all the fantastic Turning the World to Darkness painting competition. Welcome to any skill level, you can find out more here.
  • It's time once again to ferret out those murderous vampires in a new VAU - Vampires Amongst Us. A cross between Cluedo and a roleplay, sometimes gory and often hilarious! Find out more here.

Entry Thread. Turning the World to Darkness: Vampiric Miniature 2018

Borgnine

Staff member
True Blood
And here we go with another Competition!

Theme: Vampiric Miniature

A bloody theme proposed by @Farmer7574. Any kind of vampiric/Soulblight miniature is allowed this time - a proud vampire warrior, a scheming noblewoman, a hulking mutated monstrosity, a blood-drinking dragon - all shapes and sizes are allowed as long as it's a bloodthirsty vampire of some sort. It can be more than one miniature if someone wants it like that, why not.

Original models and conversions allowed.

The Prize: The winner earns the glory and a place in the Hall of Infamy thread. The winner also gets to select the theme of the next painting challenge (note that the winner only has a weekend to present the decision, so please be prepared and available).

The Rules:
  • All models entered should not have been painted more than a year ago from the date the entry thread is closed. This will not be enforced but violators will politely be asked to retract their entry.
  • All miniatures presented must have been painted by the entrant.
  • Max one entry per person.
  • Max 3 images per entry (including pictures in collages), of reasonable size.
  • No voting for your own entry.
  • No model can be entered into several challenges.
  • For every started set of 5 entries, each member gets a single vote (for example: with 7 entries everyone would get 2 votes).
  • Open entries and open voting. Everyone can see who painted what.
  • Models can be of any manufacturer and conversion but must fulfill all the criteria of the given theme.
  • If no decision on the next theme is made within a week of the winner announcement, the decision falls to the competition organizer.

The Schedule:
Week 1, Monday: Theme announcement and entry thread created
Week 7, Sunday: Entry thread closed. Voting thread opened.
Week 8, Friday: Voting thread closed. Result announced. Winner asked about next theme.

Because the voting was delayed a bit and I am posting this on Tuesday, we will start the official countdown from the next Monday - but you can all start working now ;)

This thread is now open for people to post their entries. Please state a name of the miniature along with the pictures (ex: Vampire Lord or Countess Squigmachine). The thread closes on the 29th of July 2018 at (roughly) 23:59 CET.

And a list of subscribers who will get a notification about the competition (you don't have to be listed here to enter!):

@robtion
@Adam_Barrow
@Eyeless
@Mad 'At
@Azakael
@Shadespyre
@Farmer7574
@Devour the Cabbage
@Nikos
@Leithel
@Mioum
@Angie
@Sessioni
@Pigbones
@Raizi
@Nagash Worshiper
@Unas the slayer
@edwardvlad
@Theerteen

Theerteen

Cheerful Cranium
True Blood
I'm not perfectly sure if my entry-to-come would match the “vampiric“ theme...it would be Evil Ash, and while he's not neither a vampire nor offensively blood-covered or -themed... So I wanted to ask if it would be legal or not.

If not I'd throw in my Blood Knights unit :D

Last edited:

Borgnine

Staff member
True Blood
I'm not perfectly sure if my entry-to-come would match the “vampiric“ theme...it would be Evil Ash, and while he's not neither a vampire nor offensively blood-covered or -themed... So I wanted to ask if it would be legal or not
I think you answered your question already - unfortunately, no, it would not be legal for this particular competition ;/

Theerteen

Cheerful Cranium
True Blood
Ok that's less effort for me because the alternative blood knight unit is painted already and has only base work left ;)

Got to win this one to choose a evil ash fitting theme o.o so to all of you freaks, don't put too much effort in your entries :D

Last edited:

robtion

Vampire Thrall
Hello all. I have returned from a long slumber. Having recently relocated my tomb interstate I have finally got things in order and started a little painting again. I can probably enter something. What pray tell is Soulblight?

Disciple of Nagash

The Perverted One
Staff member
Soulblight is the AoS term for the vampiric curse @robtion

In AoS, GW renamed a lot of stuff to make it more their own, but the more I'm reading, the more I realise it hasn't changed that much, just more unique names :thumbsup:

Also, fantastic to have you back on the forum and look forward to seeing some new models painted.

actually no the mortis engine has a warlock on it, however it is part of the Warhammer fantasy ( sorry age of sigmar is rubbish) vampire counts army so the mortis engine is debatable in no it doesn't have a vampire on it but it is part of the vampire counts army

Disciple of Nagash

The Perverted One
Staff member
@lordraptor1 true it is part of the old VC army, but unless I'm mistaken this competition is for a miniature that is vampiric itself, so a vampire, ghoul king, blood knight, varghulf etc. Correct me if I'm wrong @Borgnine ?

sorry age of sigmar is rubbish
Well, each to their own of course. I really didn't like it for a long while, but recent changes have finally started improving it enjoy for me to be interested

Well, each to their own of course. I really didn't like it for a long while, but recent changes have finally started improving it enjoy for me to be interested

if you like aos more power to you but afraid fantasy died around here with Aos. we had 100 people in my local area alone playing whf but when aos hit the shelves so did our armies, my vc army sits to this day on the shelf collecting dust with my dire wolves not even fully painted and only a small portion of zombies as I stopped buying minis for it. no need to keep spending cash on minis when no one left here plays anymore and most of them from what I can gather have sold off their armies on fleabay. these days they have moved to other game systems entirely and we are pretty much split between flames of war and warmachine

if you like aos more power to you but afraid fantasy died around here with Aos. we had 100 people in my local area alone playing whf but when aos hit the shelves so did our armies, my vc army sits to this day on the shelf collecting dust with my dire wolves not even fully painted and only a small portion of zombies as I stopped buying minis for it. no need to keep spending cash on minis when no one left here plays anymore and most of them from what I can gather have sold off their armies on fleabay. these days they have moved to other game systems entirely and we are pretty much split between flames of war and warmachine
I don't think this is the place for such a discussion, as this thread is for the submission of entries for the painting challenge, however...
the impact of AoS on game world has been very variable from place to place.
In our gaming area there were 5 WHFB players (including me) during the end times. Actually we are 16 playing AoS.
The 40k players were attracted to different gaming groups but when the new players started buying also 40k stuff, the old ones returned back, so we are around 15 people that play 40k. Our gaming group was dying and now consists in more than 20 people.
I don't forget the damage done by AoS to the old world and the old way of play the game, and it's a pity that many gaming groups have been shattered by the end of WHFB, but (also judging from the increasing material produced by GW), i think that overall AoS has been a good thing for the gaming world.

Borgnine

Staff member
True Blood
@lordraptor1 That's the theme this time, there needs to be a vampiric undead there, so your standard ME doesn't fit, sorry ;( Maybe you could use it in the next competition, who knows what the topic we will have there ;)

Ok, time to ask a question...

I've got Arkhan (mortarch version) magnetized. The plan that i developed, was to "obtain" all three mortarchs with just one mount, to skip between the one i need each time... an objective that i managed to obtain with some luck.

Arkhan and the Mount are older than a year, and also Mannfred is older.... however Neferata fits the "less than one year" time limit.

SO, can i post the model of Neferata, Mortarch of Blood, even if the Mount has been painted more than a year ago?

Borgnine

Staff member
True Blood
@Unas the slayer I always understood the rule that the model had to be 'finished' during the last year. So, it's as if you painted the mount some time ago and only now you sat down to finish the damn thing and paint the rider too. Post away ;)

Shadespyre

Vampire Thrall
Still a month to go on this? I might have a dig in my cupboards and see if I can find something that I might find time to assemble and paint. Emphasis on the mights, though!

@Unas the slayer I always understood the rule that the model had to be 'finished' during the last year. So, it's as if you painted the mount some time ago and only now you sat down to finish the damn thing and paint the rider too. Post away ;)

Perfect.
Then here's my Neferata.
Given that the Mount was originally painted with the proper color scheme suggested for Arkhan, I've used the same pattern for Neferata, instead of the usual red. Very dark result.

proxy.php?image=http%3A%2F%2Fi1165.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fq584%2FKiller_Angel_ita%2FWarhammer%2520Pictures%2FWIP%2520and%2520painting%2FDeath%2FNeferata%25201.jpg&hash=81dbd39bfe4ef698aa308d9588b1badc

proxy.php?image=http%3A%2F%2Fi1165.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fq584%2FKiller_Angel_ita%2FWarhammer%2520Pictures%2FWIP%2520and%2520painting%2FDeath%2FNeferata%25202.jpg&hash=0e12e2dda7d73510ecf9c50ee0ecc5ad

Theerteen

Cheerful Cranium
True Blood
I'll go with my Blood Knights / Soul Reaver Cavalery, technically not finished too early :D

Soul Reavers:
proxy.php?image=https%3A%2F%2Fi.imgur.com%2Fx4GXkdE.jpg&hash=7079fa3ebbde6d88dd7a452f4e16635a

proxy.php?image=https%3A%2F%2Fi.imgur.com%2FMw3mcCR.jpg&hash=ec768fb1308f82343d53e49c089ecdf0

proxy.php?image=https%3A%2F%2Fi.imgur.com%2FDKyvUgB.jpg&hash=13a31bef27ce4b08450a475aa485cbb0