• Roll-up! Roll-up! Come one and all the fantastic Turning the World to Darkness painting competition. Welcome to any skill level, you can find out more here.
  • It's time once again to ferret out those murderous vampires in a new VAU - Vampires Amongst Us. A cross between Cluedo and a roleplay, sometimes gory and often hilarious! Find out more here.

Ethereal Movement

Noobafrass

Grave Guard
You folks are always so helpful on these questions. Thank you in advance

1: Can units with ethereal movement charge through buildings or LOS-blocking terrain? It is my understanding that you need LOS in order to charge so I would think no but....I've been wrong many times

2: How do cover penalties effect a Sand and Shoot reaction? Ie let's say that a unit is charging and half of it goes throug a forest that comes within 3inches of the enemy unit. What kind of modifiers would there be here?

Bishop

Master Necromancer
True Blood
Yes, LoS is required to declare a charge.

I would say yes, the forest could apply a cover penalty depending on it positioning and distance.

I'll give an answer for the first one. The second one I have no idea how to play it so I won't even try to give you my oppinion. Here goes though:

I'm fairly certain that you could charge through impassible terrain. I mean the restrictions to charging are you have to have line of sight, they have to be within the forward arc, and it has to be possible for you to make your charge and fit. So if you can see your target at all as well as them lieing in the forward arc then as long as you can get pass the impassable terrain completely so you don't end your move in it, then I believe you could make that charge. I kinda want to try this now that I say it. It sounds pretty sneaky and fun.

Johnny-Crass

Vampire Ancient
True Blood
Well as a follow up question say you fail your charge and stumble forward into the impassible terrain. What happens?

1) Yes, as long as you can see you can charge. The only restriction given under the Ethereal special rule it that you cannot end your move inside impassable terrain.

2)Stand and Shoot is said to occur as soon as the charging unit comes into range for the units weapons, so if there's a forest in the way at that point, or the charging unit is in one, then the unit doing the shooting would take the cover modifier.

Well as a follow up question say you fail your charge and stumble forward into the impassible terrain. What happens?
I'd say either move them forward or back, whichever is closer, until they're 1" outside of the terrain. I don't think they really say either way.

Pyre

Mad 'At

Dumb enough to work
Staff member
True Blood
Stand and shoot is always resolved just after the reaction has been declared, and thus before you move charges. This is the case even if the shooter is out of maximum range (page 17 BRB). So I guess any other modifiers like terrain should be accounted for at the same time, so if the unit is in cover when the charge is declared the they benefit from cover against the stand and shoot reaction.

Intresting, I also got a question now, can Hexwraiths charge through a enemy unit to attack one behind it?

Demian

Vampire Count
Hexwraiths can only move through a Unit using their "Soulstriders" special rule, which says only in the "Remaining Moves sub-phase. Ethereal movement allows you to move through impassable terrain, but not Units. So, no. Can't charge through.

Also, if you fail a charge and would end up in impassable terrain, you keep moving forward until you ended up 1'' away from such terrain (as with any Compulsory Move which forces you through impassable terrain).

:D

Gombol

Skeleton
Ethereal movment basicly meanas: You can move through terrain without anything happening (So you can move through sa a forest, if you're a mounted model with ethereal, and not take any tests.) but for charges you -always- need LoS.

Count Lasombra

Vampire Count
True Blood
If you fail your charge and end up inside impassible terrain you would have to stop the unit before the terrain feature.You cannot be displaced because your movement cannot end inside it.

Chaos_Born

Master Necromancer
True Blood
Count Lasombra said:
If you fail your charge and end up inside impassible terrain you would have to stop the unit before the terrain feature.You cannot be displaced because your movement cannot end inside it.
I always assumed you would be carried through it like fleeing troops or magical vortexeso.o