• Roll-up! Roll-up! Come one and all the fantastic Turning the World to Darkness painting competition. Welcome to any skill level, you can find out more here.
  • It's time once again to ferret out those murderous vampires in a new VAU - Vampires Amongst Us. A cross between Cluedo and a roleplay, sometimes gory and often hilarious! Find out more here.

Failed Charge....?

Onikaigo

Vampire Lord
True Blood
Here's the situation.

Gnoblar Scraplauncher and Gnoblars are on a hill. Gnoblars want to charge, Scraplauncher is forced to charge due to being Bad Tempered.

Since the Gnoblars are a 'Declared' charge, they have to go first. Right? But, they can't wheel to face they're intended target because their butt is too big, and runs into the Scraplauncher. This unfortunately doesn't mess with the Scraplauncher charge, so he goes off on his irritated way.

Question:

did the Gnoblars fail their charge?
How does the unit move, if at all?

Bishop

Master Necromancer
True Blood
Well, the unit that failed its charge would move it's M characteristic.

The chargers move first, and then the compulsaries move (that seems odd to me...but that's the order)

So, the charge would indeed fail if the charger is "blocked" by the scrap launcher.

Bishop said:
Well, the unit that failed its charge would move it's M characteristic.
No, the unit that fails a charge moves the highest of the two dices rolled:tongue:

Otherwise, I think you're right!

Bishop

Master Necromancer
True Blood
Silly me... still stuck on 7th :slapface:

I really need to take a week off sometime, so that I can read the rulebook 3-4 times and get a couple of games in... :innocent:

Dklyn

Crypt Horror
Wait a second here... is the scraplauncher's charge done in compulsory phase? If it's like Frenzy, that is done during the charge phase.

Onikaigo

Vampire Lord
True Blood
The Scraplauncher is similar to Frenzy, but not.

If there is an eligible target during the Declare Charges phase, he must pass a ld test (On Ld 5, good luck!) or charge.

Dklyn

Crypt Horror
If it's during the charge phase, then he can in fact have the gnoblars charge as far as I can tell. The BRB says that you can declare a charge with a unit in the way as long as the unit can move out of the way before you move your charge. This is because you declare all charges before moving anyone. When it comes time to move the units, you can move the units declaring a charge in any order you want (not necessarily in the order you declared!), so he would want to move the scrapthingy first and hopefully it would be out of the way of the gnoblars. If it is, then the gnoblars can charge (otherwise it would fail I guess).

I'm looking at p. 16 (bottom left for summary as well as under the paragraph can I charge).

Onikaigo

Vampire Lord
True Blood
Interesting.

'm going back and looking at the placement now, and I don't see how either of the units would make the charge.

The first rank of the Gnoblars blocks the Scraplauncher from moving forward until they attempt to charge, fail due to the Launcher, and stumble forward. Then the scraplauncher is free to move, but can't make the charge due to no frontage on the enemy unit.

This was more of a Theoretical question than anything, since the game in question is well past that event. But it's nice to see the page where the answer is!

Thanks!

Dklyn

Crypt Horror
oh yeah, if they are blocking each other then neither would work. I thought it was only the launcher blocking the gnoblars :D